• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

The relevant GAF thread that went nowhere: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1040932

I can't say that the multiplayer focus excites me. Looks like they don't have a studio — they're a handful of guys working together over Skype from their houses. Everyone has to start somewhere, though, I guess.

The Kickstarter itself has gone nowhere since the posting of that too. Given that the most funding a project generally gets happens in the beginning and the end with a drop off in the middle, they're going to have an uphill battle to get the project funded at all - let alone achieve any of the stretch goals.

That game could really use a single player mode.

Yeah, if I had to guess, "scope hype" is a big reason why a game like Star Citizen got funded (I actually wasn't around during Elite's Kickstarter, so I don't really know how it was pitched).

I don't know if focusing on PvP only would have the same effect.

Zalusithix

That game could really use a single player mode.

Rather, if was originally launched as an offline single player campaign focused game, I'd wager it would be doing a lot better right now funding wise. While the hardcore PvPers make a lot of noise, they're not a huge market - at least not in this genre.

Either way, they'd probably be facing an uphill battle. While the market for space based sims and shooters was certainly large enough to make games like SC and ED viable, I'm not so sure it is large enough to fund too many more games before the existing ones have had time to play out.

Effect

First few mins in the PTU.

I haven't played in a while and the sensitivity on the 360 controller took me by surprise. Destroyed my own ship.

So when is this suppose to go live?

Anything major happen with the hanger mod in the past few months? Another update to the types of hangers you have, etc?

Haven't logged in in a while but considering it since I finally upgrade my CPU and graphics card. Would like to give it a test.

James Pugh CIG
Hello Everyone. I wanted to let you guys know that the FPS update post will now go live Thursday May 7th. We are very excited to be able to share this information with you all and we want to make sure it is as informative and expansive as we want it to be. It will be worth the wait I promise.

Oh my!

Tommyhawk

The newest picture of the Starfarer:

starfarer-pr0nsbu8r.png

Zalusithix

I think this might be my favorite design. This or the Freelancer.

I like the aesthetic of it, but man, those side turrets bug me. The body obscures a huge portion of their otherwise usable targeting range. The Hull series turret layout is more logical in that regard.

CTLance

Man, that Starfarer looks nice. Feeling less threatened by the Hull series now. You guys may have more capacity, but I'll have the sexier truckspaceship.

....that guy is a better dancer than me.

Zalusithix

Man, that Starfarer looks nice. Feeling less threatened by the Hull series now. You guys may have more capacity, but I'll have the sexier truckspaceship.

....that guy is a better dancer than me.

Apples and oranges anyhow. The Starfarer is predominantly a liquid/gas transport, not a solids transport. The Hulls are predominantly solid goods transports. Using the optimal tool for the job is more important than cubic footage.

Apples and oranges anyhow. The Starfarer is predominantly a liquid/gas transport, not a solids transport. The Hulls are predominantly solid goods transports. Using the optimal tool for the job is more important than cubic footage.

Star Citizen styled penis joke? If your dick is measured in cubic footage... than more power to you.

Zalusithix

Star Citizen styled penis joke? If your dick is measured in cubic footage... than more power to you.

Lol, not my intention... Then again, MISC ships have already been the butt of a million penis jokes with reveal of the Hull models and the "Big D", so it's fitting I guess.

Xane

Lol, not my intention... Then again, MISC ships have already been the butt of a million penis jokes with reveal of the Hull models and the "Big D", so it's fitting I guess.

Hoooh boy you weren't there for the initial Freelancer release two years ago then...

Jesus christ this training level is really well done.

I just wish the hint reminders didnt pause the game and take up the whoel screen. They should make those projected hud pop-ups in the future.

Other than that... it is perfect (and flipping beautiful as well). Likewise it is incredibly hard on the hardware. My titan X (with a heavy OC) was barely getting 60 @ 1080p at some points in the hangar sequence with drops to 55. Crazy.

Zalusithix

Hoooh boy you weren't there for the initial Freelancer release two years ago then...

Nope. I've only really been paying attention to SC for the past year or so. Prior to that it was a pretty casual checking in every once in awhile. Hell, at the initial crowdfunding debut, I was a pure skeptic of the game. I wasn't against the game in concept, but I had no confidence that it would end up being anything like what was set as the goal.

Then the money continued to roll in. A seemingly never ending flood of funding. With the consistency and scale of the funding, I became more confident that the game's scope might actually be realizable. Increased confidence led to increased interest in the state of the game. Then once I bought in, I went into my current regular monitoring mode.

epmode

No, to everyone. They are very open about their development.

CIG likes to show stuff that is still under development at their presentations so I expected the E3 demo to be limited to the stage show or other official presentations. I'd be pretty excited if they've actually announced a public release of the E3 vertical slice.

(I don't really keep up with the day to day news anymore)

lacinius

Patch 1.1.2 is out also, last one before fps update

Great... first thing I noticed when launching is that they have cut down on the loading time!!

Ran around the hanger a bit, and I think they cleaned up the annoying head-bob, but that's all I have time for... will check out the tutorial over the weekend.

Zalusithix

Also the Starfarer is back up for sale along with a boatload of new pics & info. In addition to this, a new variant, the military Starfarer Gemini is up for initial LTI sale.

Gemini336.jpg

Gemini2338.jpg

Also, I'm happy to see that they now have turrets on the rear so no huge blindspot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom