• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Singular7

Prediction: in 1 - 2 years naysayers will eat crow and it will be apparent that the promises are coming.

In 3 - 5 years: This could be GOAT, and no other game will be on the horizon to match its simulation / multiplayer / scope.

Criticisms over the years have been valid and true as well, but all that will be forgotten IF they get even 50% of the design spec in the publics hands, and it looks to me that they will.

Hopefully they can make some cash selling licenses to the engine as well.

With ray tracing and DLSS coming it will be a stunner and under the hood unparalleled.

Last edited:

whyman

Demo at citizencon

So for peoples asking “when”, it’s in playable state, 31st October in preview for some players and imminent release after. Before ‘24 basically

Star Citizen out this year?

Not some module, demo or tech demo? I would be shocked.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
ThGxcM8.jpg

what the fuck does this even mean? How deep in the rabbit hole is this community?

You have PBR for metal and other solid surfaces. This is the equivalent for skin. Instead of just using a photo of skin and have a couple of choices for skin tone, this has continuous range of colors.

This can allow animations & emotions of the character to change the skin tone accordingly

The fly-by demo doesn't go into details but its simply that, a fly-by demo. They go in-depth in other panels. I think this was already covered in the past so.

But i mean, you could have asked the question without being so fucking aggressive.

The fuck is up with peoples and this game?

Star Citizen out this year?

Not some module, demo or tech demo? I would be shocked.

No, Pyro is demo'd, that's what is coming. Not the full feature list we saw at citizencon. Not even sure the MMO will ever be "done". The key is that when will it deliver on its initial feature creep madness, and it seems most modules required for that are in the pipeline for the coming 12 months or so.

Today we'll likely get Squadron 42 news.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Prediction: in 1 - 2 years naysayers will eat crow and it will be apparent that the promises are coming.

In 3 - 5 years: This could be GOAT, and no other game will be on the horizon to match its simulation / multiplayer / scope.

Criticisms over the years have been valid and true as well, but all that will be forgotten IF they get even 50% of the design spec in the publics hands, and it looks to me that they will.

Hopefully they can make some cash selling licenses to the engine as well.

With ray tracing and DLSS coming it will be a stunner and under the hood unparalleled.
Sigh… There should be 0 trust for this company now. You seriously sound like you are in a cult or in a some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

It’s been over 10 years and $600mil later, and there is still no actual game out vs badly performing tech demo.

whyman

You have PBR for metal and other solid surfaces. This is the equivalent for skin. Instead of just using a photo of skin and have a couple of choices for skin tone, this has continuous range of colors.

This can allow animations & emotions of the character to change the skin tone accordingly

The fly-by demo doesn't go into details but its simply that, a fly-by demo. They go in-depth in other panels. I think this was already covered in the past so.

But i mean, you could have asked the question without being so fucking aggressive.

The fuck is up with peoples and this game?

No, Pyro is demo'd, that's what is coming. Not the full feature list we saw at citizencon. Not even sure the MMO will ever be "done". The key is that when will it deliver on its initial feature creep madness, and it seems most modules required for that are in the pipeline for the coming 12 months or so.

Today we'll likely get Squadron 42 news.
Then it is a valid argument to call this a scam. People didn’t back demos or modules if I remember correctly. I just feel bad for everyone who spent a lot of money on this, only to see their money being used to make something else. I think this is why you are seeing all the aggression.

October 18, 2012

How many of the original backers will even be alive when a 1.0 releases I wonder. I’ve heard so many times “oh but next year it’s almost done because…”

It’s a scam, anyone advertising or hyping it up are contributing to the scam.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Then it is a valid argument to call this a scam. People didn’t back demos or modules if I remember correctly. I just feel bad for everyone who spent a lot of money on this, only to see their money being used to make something else. I think this is why you are seeing all the aggression.

October 18, 2012

How many of the original backers will even be alive when a 1.0 releases I wonder. I’ve heard so many times “oh but next year it’s almost done because…”

It’s a scam, anyone advertising or hyping it up are contributing to the scam.

It got way bigger than 2012 pledge, and likely for the better too. All tech you see in SC is the foundation of SQ42 too, except the likes of server meshing.

Peoples can sell their accounts and get their money back if they feel its a scam. 🤷‍♂️
Very easy.

So FUCK OFF with your claims that anyone excited for the tech is contributing to a scam, the fuck are you smoking? You can look at the tech and keep being on the sideline. Nobody gives a shit if you're in it or not, nobody.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

And peoples having fun with a "scam"

Last edited:

whyman

It got way bigger than 2012 pledge, and likely for the better too. All tech you see in SC is the foundation of SQ42 too, except the likes of server meshing.

Peoples can sell their accounts and get their money back if they feel its a scam. 🤷‍♂️
Very easy.

So FUCK OFF with your claims that anyone excited for the tech is contributing to a scam, the fuck are you smoking? You can look at the tech and keep being on the sideline. Nobody gives a shit if you're in it or not, nobody.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards
Nope. I will not FUCK OFF and honestly you seem like the aggressive one in this thread. I calmly explained that hyping up a known scam is contributing to said scam.

A smaller game that the backers actually got to play would have been better in my opinion.

People still fall for this shit. I meet people almost every year who know I’m a gamer and tell me about this awesome game coming out. How they just heard about it and wow it’s going to be amazing.

Even if this game releases with most of the “promised” features and ships it will have taken such a long time that saying it’s a scam is totally valid.

Imagine Peter Molyneux still showing off Godus AND asking people for money for it.

And people call him a scam artist…

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Nope. I will not FUCK OFF and honestly you seem like the aggressive one in this thread. I calmly explained that hyping up a known scam is contributing to said scam.

A smaller game that the backers actually got to play would have been better in my opinion.

People still fall for this shit. I meet people almost every year who know I’m a gamer and tell me about this awesome game coming out. How they just heard about it and wow it’s going to be amazing.

Even if this game releases with most of the “promised” features and ships it will have taken such a long time that saying it’s a scam is totally valid.

Imagine Peter Molyneux still showing off Godus AND asking people for money for it.

And thus by saying anyone reporting news on this game is part of the scam is an attack directly to me. So yes, fuck off. No i will not take kindly to those claims, no matter how calmly you think you are telling me that I'm part of the scam.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

If you're concerned for other people losing a couple of burger's worth of kickstarter money keeps you up at night I suggest you try Chamomile tea.

Last edited:

Comandr

Watching the future of starengine video now. Amazing stuff.

I backed for $45 in 2014. At that time, the only thing you could do was walk around and sit in your ship in the hangar. That was it.

Then the dogfighting module came. You could fly around and get shot down by enemy bots. And it was hella fun. I remember how complicated the controls felt at the time. But in a good way.

Seeing how the game has changed and evolved over the years has been amazing. Watching this presentation and seeing everything that the team has been doing over the years is simply staggering. Good things take time, and CIG has been nothing but transparent about development.

Anyone that watches this video can clearly see where the money has been going.

And finally the fact remains you can play it right now today. That’s not a scam. It’s a game in active development. No more than any game in early access for YEARS is a scam.

Flotsam was released in early access FOUR years ago and it’s still only like 0.7 something. The experience today is completely different from the first EA release. There are so many more features. Is that game a scam? Or is this just the natural development of an early access game?

King Dazzar

I backed for $45 in 2014.
I've no horse in the race here.

Just wondering. When you backed it in 2014, were you happy with the idea that you wouldn't be playing a fully released game, 9 years later? And also is there a point in time where you would feel still not seeing a finished product is not reasonable? Say another 10 years, would your position today, still be the same? I guess you're happy with what your money has bought you, regardless of not receiving a properly completed finished product?

It's fine of course if you're content, as its your money that you spent. But I could also see why others might feel ripped off too. For me it would depend on what was promised and for when, at time of spending my money. I think its reasonable for some/many to have trust issues, this far down the line.

Comandr

Just wondering. When you backed it in 2014, were you happy with the idea that you wouldn't be playing a fully released game, 9 years later? And also is there a point in time where you would feel still not seeing a finished product is not reasonable? Say another 10 years, would your position today, still be the same? I guess you're happy with what your money has bought you, regardless of not receiving a properly completed finished product?

It's fine of course if you're content, as its your money that you spent. But I could also see why others might feel ripped off too. For me it would depend on what was promised and for when, at time of spending my money. I think its reasonable for some/many to have trust issues, this far down the line.
Over the years I've definitely got my money's worth out of the game. Logging in periodically to check out what's new and different. Playing pirates with friends. I mean - I remember before ships had permissions and you could just walk up and steal peoples' thousand dollar ships. Now that was fun. My buddies and I would just steal hyper expensive super yacht ships and crash them into planets for the luls. I've had a ton of fun with this game so far.

But it begs the question, what is "fully released?" Is World of Warcraft fully released? That game is undergoing active development and new features, races, classes, areas, weapons, items, are all constantly being added. What defines a "fully released" MMO? Because that's what Star Citizen is. An MMO, that will continue to grow and evolve for years. WoW 1.0 was nothing like what it is today. But you could still log in and have fun.

Vlodril

The thing is you speak as your opinion has more gravity than others for some reason. You are welcome to it but that doesn't make it important in any way, shape or form. Obviously the people backing this do not want a smaller game they could have played as you mentioned.

They want the crazy pie in the sky stuff and they are paying for it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Just wondering. When you backed it in 2014, were you happy with the idea that you wouldn't be playing a fully released game, 9 years later?

I had no idea my $45 would even develop this kind of crazy tech, no. Happy? I mean, indifferent. A single player SQ42 in 2015~2016 would probably be very simplistic comparatively.

Starfield took 8 years and $400M and.... the time i spent i will never get back. It'll forever just be average.

I'm willing to risk my $45 and get zero return if it means it can potentially be mind boggling tech. I wasted more for the likes of Mighty number 9 which was not even worth installing.

I'm amazed peoples are concerned with my $45 spent. I've put more money in a DAC/Amp + headsets than six playstation 5. I think i can manage by. Anyone that didn't kickstart it, just watch from the sideline, no problem with that. It can fizzle out into nothing, except for the tech they made with the engine, that will always serve a purpose. The dynamic server meshing is a first time in the tech world. It could totally change multiplayer games. If the CIG closes down, some other dev will be inspired by the tech and continue with it.

King Dazzar

Over the years I've definitely got my money's worth out of the game. Logging in periodically to check out what's new and different. Playing pirates with friends. I mean - I remember before ships had permissions and you could just walk up and steal peoples' thousand dollar ships. Now that was fun. My buddies and I would just steal hyper expensive super yacht ships and crash them into planets for the luls. I've had a ton of fun with this game so far.

But it begs the question, what is "fully released?" Is World of Warcraft fully released? That game is undergoing active development and new features, races, classes, areas, weapons, items, are all constantly being added. What defines a "fully released" MMO? Because that's what Star Citizen is. An MMO, that will continue to grow and evolve for years. WoW 1.0 was nothing like what it is today. But you could still log in and have fun.
I think a game is finished for me when its sold to the public as such and the game has a completed story with an end, I guess. It does get more blurred when you move into GaaS territory and MMO's. But I think for many it clearly isnt at a finished stage, or at the least, the publics expectations haven't exactly been manged well. Good that you had your fun with it. 😊
I had no idea my $45 would even develop this kind of crazy tech, no. Happy? I mean, indifferent. A single player SQ42 in 2015~2016 would probably be very simplistic comparatively.

Starfield took 8 years and $400M and.... the time i spent i will never get back. It'll forever just be average.

I'm willing to risk my $45 and get zero return if it means it can potentially be mind boggling tech. I wasted more for the likes of Mighty number 9 which was not even worth installing.

I'm amazed peoples are concerned with my $45 spent. I've put more money in a DAC/Amp + headsets than six playstation 5. I think i can manage by. Anyone that didn't kickstart it, just watch from the sideline, no problem with that. It can fizzle out into nothing, except for the tech they made with the engine, that will always serve a purpose. The dynamic server meshing is a first time in the tech world. It could totally change multiplayer games. If the CIG closes down, some other dev will be inspired by the tech and continue with it.
Well, its definitely a project to bring about polarising discussion as to what's acceptable or not. Its just always been fascinating to me in terms of those who understandably for me, feel its been a scam. But then also, those who still truly believe in it and also think they've more than had their worth out of the projects journey to date. Which is fair enough too.

But I am most definitely watching from the side lines. Cheers.

Last edited:

Red5

I'm playing this game almost daily, I got my money's worth, don't care about your crusade.

Utherellus

Their new facial DNA tech looks bonkers.... Realtime face sculpting!

osS2E0q.png

3TslVTz.png

Sometimes I'm convinced CIG is just a R&D behemoth which invents new exiting stuff

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Ok their fps anim/rigging overhaul is bonkers, almost inline with your call of duties, apex, battlefield fps game. Gone are gun wobblys...

Looks really good.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Loved the StarEngine demo; the music, the visuals, and cinematography was chef's kiss.

Star Citizen has come a long long way.

You could also sense Chris Robert's relief when they showcased the working server mesh / replication layer 😂

Really great CitizenCon this year (last year's was arse), and SQ42 will be 'announced' and showcased today and everyone is expecting it to be absolute bonkers.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Loved the StarEngine demo; the music, the visuals, and cinematography was chef's kiss.

Star Citizen has come a long long way.

You could also sense Chris Robert's relief when they showcased the working server mesh / replication layer 😂

Really great CitizenCon this year (last year's was arse), and SQ42 will be 'announced' and showcased today and everyone is expecting it to be absolute bonkers.

So many times they presented the modules today with "it comes from SQ team".

The closing ceremony is 45 mins long. If SQ42 is not presented at that time, I'll be shocked. The whole paper trail of tech leads to SQ42.

cHrD0JH.jpg

excited pumped up GIF by WWE

Last edited:

Multiply by 10 each of those years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
it's a tech demo that serves nothing other than to keep continuing the endless cycle of always chasing whatever "new" tech and features so they have an excuse to keep asking for money and never finish the "game". Exploiting sunk cost fallacy to its fullest.

All of this will be obsolete by the time it enters beta. And then they'll release another tech demo to milk your grandchildren!!

StereoVsn

Yep, this is just insanity. People spent money to pledge and then more further down the line for a game, technically two separate games. This shit is still in terribly performing demo category. Oh wow, they are making an engine - don't really care, its 11 years later.

Cool demo but definitely rough in parts. I swear the zoom in of the surface of Pyro hit a severe fps drop. Also as impressive as some of this is, it would be nice to see them be as innovative with gameplay mechanics as they are graphics. You can have all the sexy procedural bells and whistles in the world but if its all fetch quests and kill x number of y quests it'll still be shit. Do CIG employ a team of writers? And don't get me started on the npcs, they looked awful. Jerky animations, some cut and paste, lame AI ie, npc calmly walking into flames. I guess that'll be sorted out in the next decade-long roadmap.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Fully released game doesn't mean much nowadays. Beamng.drive has been in early access for a decade, but it is a playable game it just keeps getting added to and added to. It has more content than pretty much any fully released title out there. I don't know what state Star Citizen is in but likely like beamng it will never be 'finished'.

RavageX

So what is this game supposed to be? An MMO? Story based? Story arcs?

Is it going to be basically where you accept "kill 10 of this, collect 10 of that" quests from NPCs? If so, what's the point of all the fancy stuff?

If it is a game that they are constantly going to build, then the ground (basic) foundations should be there by now, with most of the game being playable and sellable at this point. Story if there is one should be finished.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Jezus fuckng christ. Squadron 42 looks so good. People are need to remember that they are making 2 games and not one.

I haven't seen anything in gaming like this before!
Except the rough/unfinished player characters shown in the very beginning Squadron 42 for sure appears to be unlike anything else judging by this footage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom