• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Vire

The game design is somewhat built around using motion controls to aim. You need it.
I see.

Could you explain in what scenario you would need it? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious how they are taking advantage of it.

Dad

The game design is somewhat built around using motion controls to aim. You need it.
I haven't gotten to mess around with the game yet, but would pointer controls via Wiimote been viable with how the shooting works? I feel like that would have been a more intuitive control scheme than swapping between two screens constantly

Red Devil

I don't think that's true at all. Mechanically at least. Uncharted 4 is one of the most anticipated games of the year and that series is essentially a rail shooter.

I think Star Fox suffers in its aesthetics and it's devotion to outdated characters that never really worked even on the origional N64/3DS version

It must be although I never really considered Uncharted an on rails shooter. Also changing that might be another scenario of a Star Fox game that's not a Star Fox game...

I haven't gotten to mess around with the game yet, but would pointer controls via Wiimote been viable with how the shooting works? I feel like that would have been a more intuitive control scheme than swapping between two screens constantly

Probably not because with the GamePad you can shoot enemies that are off-screen.

JTCx

It's all pumped through the Gamepad. That's why TV capture doesn't get the audio for voice overs.

lol wow really?! thats really strange...

I really wanted to pick this one up but ill probably just gamefly this one. There were a lot of games this month and the whole forcing motion controls, and gyrowing doesnt sit well with me.

Lettuce

I find this hilarious, ironic, and sad all at the same time.

CiymtS0.png

Great keep this up you dicks and we'll never see a new F-Zero, Waverace, Metroid or Pilotwings game ever again!!!

sfried

Nah, what wouldn't be Star Fox are the dumb things being said in the GiantBomb comments section. Some are wanting a No Man's Sky x GTA Star Fox which wouldn't even be Star Fox. It would be called not-Star Fox just like Adventures is.

I've been contemplating how a Star Fox "Elite", developed by Q-Games/Dylan Cuthbert, would work out. Given Arganaut's history being inspired by the BBC Micro classic, I'm actually curious if it could be achieved.

I just think the scope might not suit the focus of the game. (Elite: Dangerous suffers from this when a player starts on the onset, but I think they're gradually fixing the issue.)

Lunar15

You don't need to swap screens. You can aim the reticle on the TV, it works like the wii remote would.

You can actually play with the wii remote and a nunchuck as well.

I see.

Could you explain in what scenario you would need it? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious how they are taking advantage of it.

Enemy placement reflects it to a slight degree. In other examples, you need to have aim downward from where you're flying to hit the tops of some enemies. It's kinda wonky and never works really well. It's somewhat half-assed in my opinion, but as you can see, other reviewers didn't agree with me.

Dad

I'm pretty sure the sentiment has less to do with what Metacritic or OpenCritic consider an academically weighted scale and more to how people interpret that score. If the average of this game was 75 which is considered the baseline of "positive" I don't actually see anyone really giving a shit that it'd be 3 decimals higher than what it is currently. At what point do you get the impression that this minimal difference separates a mediocre game from a good one?

And as has been mentioned, most major publications who do rate a game for a 7/10 don't do so under a "mediocre" impression. That's why IGN's impression for a game that gets this kind of rating is "Good". It's okay for it to be considered that way. This isn't an academy paper being written and journalists aren't teachers. It's only really aggregators like Metacritic that exemplify the academic distinction which is conspicuously absent from when they average movies or music.
Having wonky scores like 7.2 and 7.8 and being expected to understand the gulf of praise between the two is a symptom of having all the scores overwhelmingly scrunched into a quarter of the scale. It doesn't matter how individual reviewers try to frame their scoring system since most people are going to take the aggregate average of 75 and judge scores by that. I'm not a fan of the system personally. I prefer the approval percentage OpenCritic offers over a metascore for aggregating reviews.

Lettuce

Arthur's "review" is amazing. It's basically the same as Dan's just less polite and without a score.

Whos going to listen to Dan ricketts opinion, i mean he genuinely thinks Mario Party series and Mario Sunshine are good games!!!....he also thinks Terminator 3 is a good film!!

It won't really work since the reticle in Star Fox games shows the direction you'll shoot, not the exact place (that's what first-person perspective is for).

You always had to switch to first-person more to shoot sharp in Star Fox games. Star Fox Zero allows you to glance at a GamePad screen instead of switching between POVs with a press of a button, and it still gives you the option to do so.

Red Devil

lol wow really?! thats really strange...

I really wanted to pick this one up but ill probably just gamefly this one. There were a lot of games this month and the whole forcing motion controls, and gyrowing doesnt sit well with me.

It isn't the first game that does that, for example in Arkham games you had Alphred's voice coming from the GamePad, or like when you were overhearing bad guys convos from the distance. In those at least it worked well.

The only thing I really dislike now for all what I heard and videos ive seen, is obliguing to have the voices thorugh the gamepad ONLY. I think is a great idea to try, but I would like it better if it where an option you could shoose instead of being imposed, as it doesnt affect the game design and its more a flavour thing.

I've been contemplating how a Star Fox "Elite", developed by Q-Games/Dylan Cuthbert, would work out. Given Arganaut's history being inspired by the BBC Micro classic, I'm actually curious if it could be achieved.

I just think the scope might not suit the focus of the game. (Elite: Dangerous suffers from this when a player starts on the onset, but I think they're gradually fixing the issue.)

Arent Q-games and Dylan Cuthbert much smaller than Frontier and David Braben though?
Lets not forget Frotnier is making two huge games right now at the same time, i dont know if Q-Games could do only one big one without any external help.

AntMurda

Outside of Cuthbert programming the original game, everything we love about the series comes from the Nintendo side. Have you played X-Scape? That's a Cuthbert game lol.

bumpkin

Apologies if you already answered this, but is there a control scheme where you move the vehicle with the left analog stick and aim using the GamePad gyro (ala Splatoon)?

Weetrick

Whos going to listen to Dan ricketts opinion, i mean he genuinely thinks Mario Party series and Mario Sunshine are good games!!!....he also thinks Terminator 3 is a good film!!

Dan usually champions Nintendo games. He's the biggest Nintendo fan at Giant Bomb.

NateDrake

Apologies if you already answered this, but is there a control scheme where you move the vehicle with the left analog stick and aim using the GamePad gyro (ala Splatoon)?

That's how the game plays. Left analog to pilot the vehicle, gyro to move the cursor.

Tain

so on a scale of Mario Kart 7 Wiimote controls to Gravity Rush Vita controls to IR aiming what can I expect here

edit: I'm an idiot, I mean the original Wii one.

Neff

Andre said the same thing as well.
Honestly the more I hear about it, the more I am willing to try it out.

I will say this. I've never felt more in control -or at the controls- of an Arwing. The graceful, super-smooth banking, the WHOOSH of the jets as you push the throttle (and having a lever rather than buttons to control your speed really makes a satisfying difference), the ability to aim so incredibly precisely and the game being built around it... it all adds up to a great experience. The combat chatter coming out of the Gamepad speakers is pleasingly immersive, too. My only issue with the controls is the barrel roll being trickier to pull off due to being used by the same lever as your speed, meaning you can either tap the stick twice or flick left/right like After Burner (Kamiya's influence?), and some vehicles use the right stick for orientation, meaning it's easy to roll accidentally.

I can see how the game is going to be polarising in terms of its variety of play styles and structure, and some vehicles are definitely fiddler than others, but I'm sure practice will make perfect. When you get into that zen state harmony with the game, it's a blast.

Why there are so many people thinking that IR aiming would be suitable for Star Fox?

655648-starfox64.gif

You can't replicate this reticle, the typical third-person flight arcade/simulation reticle, with a pointer. IR aiming would work only if the entire game was in first-person mode, or if it was Sin & Punishment and not Star Fox.

Lunar15

That is the only control scheme.Tilting the pad just moves the reticle around and aims your shots. Arwing is controlled with the analog stick.

pulsemyne

Having now done quite a few of the levels I can say his. The controls work. The game is fun and some of the bosses are...well there a bit platinum. Also Star Wolf have some tricks up their sleeve.
As a person who loved Starfox and 64 I can honestly say this is just as good.

georly

That is the only control scheme.Tilting the pad just moves the reticle around and aims your shots. Arwing is controlled with the analog stick.

What does the right stick do?

You think it would have been possible to have the right stick move the reticule?

pulsemyne

Not quite true. Keep you finger on Y and the game is a bit more traditional. Yes the gyro still moves but now the reticle moves with the ship. The only real usage I've had from the gryo is when you have to aim down on to things and the odd bit of subtle movement. It's nowhere near what some reviewers and others have made it out to be.
If you used the gyro on splatoon then you have nothing to worry about IMO.

Not quite true. Keep you finger on Y and the game is a bit more traditional. Yes the gyro still moves but now the reticle moves with the ship. The only real usage I've had from the gryo is when you have to aim down on to things and the odd bit of subtle movement. It's nowhere near what some reviewers and others have made it out to be.
You have to hold down the Y button?

Curufinwe

I think gies is pretty bad. he's not insightful, he's a boring personality and he often comes off as pretentious.

but there are way too many gamergaters and screechy YouTube stars for me to agree with you on this.

he thinks this game is bad. a lot of people think it's bad. and it's rather silly that we expect reviewers to complete games they think are bad. this isn't a shitty 90 minute movie.

Gies is far worse because when a game he doesn't like reviews well, such as Vanquish or Dark Souls, he alleges that other game reviewers are biased and indulged in conspiracies to rate the game higher than it deserved. Rather than, you know, accept that his colleagues happened to like the game more than him.

Why there are so many people thinking that IR aiming would be suitable for Star Fox?

655648-starfox64.gif

You can't replicate this reticle, the typical third-person flight arcade/simulation reticle, with a pointer. IR aiming would work only if the entire game was in first-person mode, or if it was Sin & Punishment and not Star Fox.
There's no way to get that reticle to work with IR aiming?

655648-starfox64.gif

You could, because the reticle never leaves the screen either way, and the Wii Remote would probably just control the position of the reticle.

But given that the benefit of IR aiming is that it mimics the feeling of aiming at a spot on the TV screen, the way the reticle is used in Star Fox Zero - to indicate the trajectory of a shot, which may be outside of the FOV on the TV, and not the precise spot where the shot will hit - doesn't really lend itself well to IR aiming.

You think it would have been possible to have the right stick move the reticule?

There are too many other actions (shoot, bombs, barrel roll, somersault, boost, u-turn, lock-on), for something like aiming to always demand your right thumb.

Boosts, brakes, rolls and (for selected vehicles) hovers.

It could be done, but I don't know how the player could perform somersaults and U-turns (X and Y respectively) then - without losing control over the reticle, of course. There is an alternative way of doing somersaults and U-turns with flicks of both sticks, but it works quite bad IMO. My one and only complaint about the controls, and a pretty big one.

7-8 is the range i was expecting for reviews since its a star fox game especially in this era still rated higher than assault on metacritic though so there is that. That being said friday cant get here soon enough and i see myself getting atleast 20hrs out of this game to 100% it.

The takeaway I see here is that some people cannot like most kinds of motion control no matter the situation. Without playing the game, I can't say yet if this implementation is good or bad, though some players seem for comfortable & proficient than others. Nevertheless, open hostility can be disheartening if you'd like see more experimentation in control schemes.

I was recently replaying 64, and I had gotten pretty good at it. Still, I actually welcome a learning curve in a short, replay-oriented game, since I know there's room for improvement if I can get the interface down.

Letep

If movement / aiming gyroscope wise is close to Splatoon's then I'm ready. Didn't like those controls initially, but then they were all I used.

Neff

You don't need to swap screens. You can aim the reticle on the TV, it works like the wii remote would.

You can do this but you often won't get adequate accuracy, because the TV target can be misleading. In fact I think they deliberately reduced the distance between your target and the Arwing, or reduced the hitbox of your shots or both in order to make the Gamepad more effective in certain situations. It's easy to think "why are my shots not hitting that ship?" when aiming on the TV, something which rarely happened in the SNES or N64 games, then looking down and attempting the same shot and bullseye-ing it every time. They definitely want you to use the Gamepad.

That said, I've played 80% of the game so far solely by looking at the TV and it's served me well.

I'm pretty sure Dan has said multiple times that even though he enjoys the Mario Party series that if he was to review them they wouldn't review particularly well.

Nanashrew

Banned
The takeaway I see here is that some people cannot like most kinds of motion control no matter the situation. Without playing the game, I can't say yet if this implementation is good or bad, though some players seem for comfortable & proficient than others. Nevertheless, open hostility can be disheartening if you'd like see more experimentation in control schemes.

I was recently replaying 64, and I had gotten pretty good at it. Still, I actually welcome a learning curve in a short, replay-oriented game, since I know there's room for improvement if I can get the interface down.

I'm in the same boat. Arcades experimented with control schemes so I'm sort of used to it and I like learning these new things.

Top Bottom