• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Jinketsu

Good news. It's never going to happen. And to top it off, it will be retained and refined going forward thanks to VR. Enjoy!

You forgot this

475379_1285024901819_200_181.jpg

I wonder if people who are all in for motion controls (myself included) will be as heavily against some weird-ass control scheme from the future as the "traditionalists" against motion controls.

I played games on a PC with a mouse since the early childhood, my first portable gaming device was touch-screen PDA, and my first consoles were motion-enabled. I am sorry, but I see some motion control haters as old farts.

QuarkMann

Neo Member
Kid Icarus: Uprising, The Wonderful 101, Splatoon and now Star Fox: Zero. Every game with an unconventional control scheme will be critisized for it because of people who don't have the patience to learn it. Either Nintendo has to stop to experiment with it's games in terms of controls (I hope they don't) or we have to become more open minded and at least try something instead of reject it right away.

For myself I decided to choose the former. And I'm happy about, otherwise I would have skipped one of the best games Nintendo (and Platinum) made during the last four years.

And yes, I've already played Star Fox Zero and completed almost every stage with all unlockables. Sure, it's not as good as the games mentioned above (at least when it comes to my taste), but it's still a pretty decent game. Just give it a chance. That's all.

sfried

I wonder if people who are all in for motion controls (myself included) will be as heavily against some weird-ass control scheme from the future as the "traditionalists" against motion controls.

I played games on a PC with a mouse since the early childhood, my first portable gaming device was touch-screen PDA, and my first consoles were motion-enabled. I am sorry, but I see some of motion control haters as old farts.
I'm an old fart, but I don't see myself hatin' on any particular control method...

...except for space sims. I'd like to utilize HOTAS if possible. But like people who love car sims and steering wheels, it's more of an immersion thing.
Is that in about a half hour or am hour and a half?
3PM PT, which I think is 6PM EST.

PillarEN

Those reviews overall push me away from a title that I was fairly lukewarm on before. Likely pass.

However just had to stop by and say that Arthur Gies pulling a Justin McElroy is so Polygon it hurts. Games Journalism.

L Thammy

I played games on a PC with a mouse since the early childhood, my first portable gaming device was touch-screen PDA, and my first consoles were motion-enabled. I am sorry, but I see some motion control haters as old farts.

Actually, a lot of my first PC games used the keyboard and a text parser, and I always resented how you couldn't just type "pick nose" or "suck blue frog" in once point-and-click adventures rolled around. I still hate playing games with the mouse, except strategy games and sim. Yes, even FPS.

Probably, we all age to that point where we see certain aspects of life as traditional. On the other hand, the world moves much more faster than ever and changes seem to happen so fast.

I'm particularly fond on unusual things sometimes even if they're not of quality, because of sheer novelty, newness is a good thing to have in my opinion.

But innovation doesn't come from different for the sake of being different most of the time, it usually comes from solving existing issues. Which is why I'm frustrated with the lack of Gyro control options in most PS4 games, because that's an innovation that corrects an issue with dual analog precision and speed.

Kid Icarus: Uprising, The Wonderful 101, Splatoon and now Star Fox: Zero. Every game with an unconventional control scheme will be critisized for it because of people who don't have the patience to learn it. Either Nintendo has to stop to experiment with it's games in terms of controls (I hope they don't) or we have to become more open minded and at least try something instead of reject it right away.

For myself I decided to choose the former. And I'm happy about, otherwise I would have skipped one of the best games Nintendo (and Platinum) made during the last four years.

And yes, I've already played Star Fox Zero and completed almost every stage with all unlockables. Sure, it's not as good as the games mentioned above (at least when it comes to my taste), but it's still a pretty decent game. Just give it a chance. That's all.

All three games reviewed well, and the vast majority of Splatoon players find the gyro controls to be the superior control scheme. Every review I've read about Star Fox Zero says that there are big flaws outside of just the control scheme.

I really wanted this to do well, so trust me when I say that I'm not just saying this to stomp on the game.

joecanada

Yes, 7 is. Like in academics. You want to be even more amazed? Mediocre doesn't equal bad. Wow!

Not sure if you're kidding but the reason media shouldn't and mostly don't use academic scale is because academic scales are all over the place. 7/10 could be a B in many programs and so would be " good".

But regardless academics are not related as being less than a certain level of competency in school is pointless and therefore auto fail, whereas a 5/10 or average game may be worth a bargain buy.

School scale basically only uses 5 or above. There's no ultra fail

Those reviews overall push me away from a title that I was fairly lukewarm on before. Likely pass.

However just had to stop by and say that Arthur Gies pulling a Justin McElroy is so Polygon it hurts. Games Journalism.

1) excellent avatar!
2) I'm curious about this reference. Can someone explain?

Red Devil

All three games reviewed well, and the vast majority of Splatoon players find the gyro controls to be the superior control scheme. Every review I've read about Star Fox Zero says that there are big flaws outside of just the control scheme.

I really wanted this to do well, so trust me when I say that I'm not just saying this to stomp on the game.

The complaint about the lenght is still really weird. I think people not liking the controls makes more sense than that one.

-MD-

Wonder what score it'd end up with if they port it to NX without the gimmicky gamepad controls.

Geg

Wonder what score it'd end up with if they port it to NX without the gimmicky gamepad controls.

They would need to redesign much of the game if they were to take out gamepad elements based on the impressions I've seen in this thread

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not sure if you're kidding but the reason media shouldn't and mostly don't use academic scale is because academic scales are all over the place. 7/10 could be a B in many programs and so would be " good".

But regardless academics are not related as being less than a certain level of competency in school is pointless and therefore auto fail, whereas a 5/10 or average game may be worth a bargain buy.

School scale basically only uses 5 or above. There's no ultra fail

I don't use "translated" academic scores. I've been through school using this kind of rating. 6 and 7 are mediocre. Or average if you want. The same is with games, if you like it or not. Good games are rated 8 and above. Average games are somewhere around 7. Bad games are 6 and below. The games rating scale is even more drastic than the academic ones.

You are free to disagree with a rating, though. You are even free to totally ignore the common sense of games ratings and use your own scale. But that's not the scale on which the media rates them. Everything can be twisted through one's own interpretation. I had colleagues who considered a 6 being a great grade for some disciplines.

Nanashrew

Banned
The complaint about the lenght is still really weird. I think people not liking the controls makes more sense than that one.

Yeah, complaints about length for an arcade game is odd. They're never meant to be long. Then again, there were also still complaints about length with some of Platinum's games despite the content and endless replayability.

There's no appeasing those types that complain about length.

dt2

Banned
Yes, 7 is. Like in academics. You want to be even more amazed? Mediocre doesn't equal bad. Wow!

I don't agree. I consider 7 to be good. The definition of mediocre is:
of only moderate quality; not very good.
If you look at many of the actual reviewers rating systems then they also agree with this. For example, on IGN a 7 is Good, a 6 is Okay, and a 5 is Mediocre. Another example is Gamespot where a 7 is Good, a 6 is Fair, and a 5 is Mediocre.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, complaints about length for an arcade game is odd. They're never meant to be long. Then again, there were also still complaints about length with some of Platinum's games despite the content and endless replayability.

There's no appeasing those types that complain about length.

The reality is that you don't see that many arcade games in today's gaming world outside mobile and indies. Or maybe now in VR. And while there are people who still enjoy them, there is a disconnect between arcade games and modern gaming. That's why you don't see modern version of Pong being succesfully released.

I don't agree. I consider 7 to be good. .

You're completely free to do that. But that doesn't say anything about the game itself, it talks only about your personal value scale.

PillarEN

1) excellent avatar!
2) I'm curious about this reference. Can someone explain?

Why yes I can. Mr. McElroy failed at fishing in the game Nier. You see there is a marker on the map telling you where to go. He payed no attention and was fishing elsewhere. So he could not catch the fish. He quit the game and refused to review it.

LINK

NotLiquid

I don't use "translated" academic scores. I've been through school using this kind of rating. 6 and 7 are mediocre. Or average if you want. The same is with games, if you like it or not. Good games are rated 8 and above. Average games are somewhere around 7. Bad games are 6 and below. The games rating scale is even more drastic than the academic ones.

You are free to disagree with a rating, though. You are even free to totally ignore the common sense of games ratings and use your own scale. But that's not the scale on which the media rates them. Everything can be twisted through one's own interpretation. I had colleagues who considered a 6 being a great grade for some disciplines.

It still begs the question why this is completely disregarded in other media that isn't games, however.

QuarkMann

Neo Member

I didn't say that KI:U, W101 and Splatoon got bad reviews. But the controls were one of the major issues reviewers had with them in the first place.

At least in the case of Splatoon players all around the world adapted the controls pretty quick (myself included). I'm living in Germany and the majority of reviewers here have one major complaint when it comes to SF0: the controls. This may be the reason why I shared my thought with you.

dt2

Banned
The reality is that you don't see that many arcade games in today's gaming world outside mobile. Or maybe now in VR. And while there are people who still enjoy them, there is a disconnect between arcade games and modern gaming. That's why you don't see modern version of Pong being succesfully released.

You're completely free to do that. But that doesn't say anything about the game itself, it talks only about your personal value scale.

It's just not my scale though. The reviewers who are handing out these scores are giving a score based on the their perceived quality of the game. If you look at the rating system for many of these reviewers they denote 7 as good. A few more examples:

ArcadeSushi - 7 is good
GamingTrend - 7 is good
Polygon - 7 is good
Jimquisition - 7 is good
Destructoid - 7 is good (they even begin their reviewing guidelines with "Average starts at five, not seven")

Seeing 7 as good is not something odd and is actually considered accurate by a majority of the reviewers who also consider mediocre a lower rating than 7.

hawk2025

This discussion is silly. Opencritic even resolves it for us, because it compares the average score across games as well:
Star Fox Zero is in the bottom 48.1% of games scored on OpenCritic
Based on 33 scored reviews, 38 critic reviews total.

The game is sitting right near the average, slightly below it. Period.

Hale-XF11

Historically, game review scores for popular games are generally higher due to hype and expectations. I assume in this case that a 7 is more like a 6 or a 5.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It still begs the question why this is completely disregarded in other media that isn't games, however.

Because top 1000 movies are at or above 78 while top 1000 games are at or above 86. Top 2000 movies are at or above 72, top 2000 games are at or above 83. Top 3000 movies are at or above 67, top 3000 games are at or above 80.

It's just not my scale though. .

Out of 13098 games rated on Metacritic, Star Fox Zero is currently at position 6385. That's as average as you can get.

daakusedo

Is it the same scoring system as 64 given the focus on precision aiming?
It was so hard to master, braking all the way to not miss a wave of enemies appearing suddenly and trying to get them in one target shot.

NotLiquid

Because top 1000 movies are at or above 78 while top 1000 games are at or above 86. Top 2000 movies are at or above 72, top 2000 games are at or above 83. Top 3000 movies are at or above 67, top 3000 games are at or above 80.

So it isn't just about score as an objective academic measure but the prevalence of how the best of each medium is perceived? That seems like it's overthinking it too much honestly.

Is it the same scoring system as 64 given the focus on precision aiming?
It was so hard to master, braking all the way to not miss a wave of enemies appearing suddenly and trying to get them in one target shot.

This is where the game feels different from 64. On one hand you still have to charge shot enemies to get more points but shooting at their broken pieces will give you even more points. This way, aiming feels more important than ever, while taking damage is less punishing since you can't broke your wings anymore. Not that the game is easy, but the gameplay style is different, I think it's more modern.

I didn't say that KI:U, W101 and Splatoon got bad reviews. But the controls were one of the major issues reviewers had with them in the first place.

At least in the case of Splatoon players all around the world adapted the controls pretty quick (myself included). I'm living in Germany and the majority of reviewers here have one major complaint when it comes to SF0: the controls. This may be the reason why I shared my thought with you.

My mistake. Misunderstood your argument. Sorry. :|

dt2

Banned
Out of 13098 games rated on Metacritic, Star Fox Zero is currently at position 6385. That's as average as you can get.

I'm not disputing the quality of Star Fox Zero, I'm disputing this
Good games are rated 8 and above. Average games are somewhere around 7. Bad games are 6 and below.

You are free to disagree with a rating, though. You are even free to totally ignore the common sense of games ratings and use your own scale. But that's not the scale on which the media rates them.

Which I (and the media sites I listed plus many more not listed) do not agree with.
For example, on IGN a 7 is Good, a 6 is Okay, and a 5 is Mediocre. Another example is Gamespot where a 7 is Good, a 6 is Fair, and a 5 is Mediocre.

ArcadeSushi - 7 is good
GamingTrend - 7 is good
Polygon - 7 is good
Jimquisition - 7 is good
Destructoid - 7 is good (they even begin their reviewing guidelines with "Average starts at five, not seven")

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So it isn't just about score as an objective academic measure but the prevalence of how the best of each medium is perceived? That seems like it's overthinking it too much honestly.

If you have a professor that gives great grades too easy, the value of the grade is diminished. It's not overthinking. The system might be objective in principle, but very much depends on how it is used. The truth is that the gaming media is very lenient professor. Which makes 7 an even more mediocre rating despite what the professor says.

I'm not disputing the quality of Star Fox Zero, I'm disputing this

Which I (and the media sites I listed plus many more not listed) do not agree with.

Statistics makes gaming media and you wrong in labeling. Gauss would have a word with you.

Neiteio

None of the reviews comment on Slippy

I just want to know about Slippy

Just how Slippy is he this time?

Hope they didn't skimp on the Slippy

*concludes post with random Slippy noises*

Top Bottom