• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

xevis

Banned
To be perfectly fair, this system works to point out those awful bug filled pieces of shit, like THPS 5, and the games that are truly masterpieces and define their generation, like Uncharted 2 or Super Mario Galaxy. For the middle ground, games that are between 90 and 60 or so, I tend to think it's all in the same category: try it out because it works and should be fun. Whether it has a green score or a yellow score is a bit elitist

At best, critical scoring systems can be used as coarse-grain indicators of quality. It's possible, for example, to categorise something as "good" or "crap" or "mediocre". Attempting to make finer categorisation, especially using a 100 point scale, is misguided as it creates the appearance of meaningful distinction where none exists. Worse still is trying to use these scores to create rankings. Ugh. So bad, I can't even.

TI82

Banned
Ouch, pretty disappointing for Fox's big return. Seems to be 7 at best from the non-nintendo dedicated sources. Oh well, moving on.

Love motion controls, especially in Splatoon as of late...very much looking forward to that aspect as my partner and I also want to play through in co-op.

Some of the complaints about replayability have me a bit worried but overall I think it looks great.

Disappointing.
Guess the signs were all there that it was going to be a mediocre entry in the series, but the review copy sneak impressions got me kinda hyped.

Nintendo should not have released a 60 fps arcade shooter with new controls in 2016. If Star Fox Zero was a 30 fps walking simulator with dual analog support, the "critical" media would have awarded the game scores of 9's and 10's across the board!

joecanada

It means that I actually learned in a school that used grades from 1 to 10. The rest of the points I already covered in the previous points.

huh? so what was 3/10 then? not a fail? the problem with that is that you haven't learned "much" or most of the concepts, so whether or not it is a fail it makes you virtually unemployable anyway...... in some programs an 8/10 is pass so academic scales should not be compared to media scales, even if they are for some reason.

whatever scale they use its pretty clear the numbers as of now mean virtually nothing. especially if they can't even stick to a simple average which is actually defined as average. most movie reviews that I see make sense as a simple 3/5, 4/5 , 5/5 where 3/5 is okay and 4/5 is good, 5/5 is excellent , etc. video games, not so much it seems.

Nintendo should not have released a 60 fps arcade shooter with new controls in 2016. If Star Fox Zero was a 30 fps walking simulator with dual analog support, the "critical" media would have awarded the game scores of 9's and 10's across the board!

Yeah... whatever you say man...

Parapraxis

Being able to beat the game in 2-3 hours...

The result is more a loose collection of segments than anything approaching a complete experience.

Well that seals the no deal for me. And that really makes me question all the high scores it got, I mean some reviewers want me to believe the game is a 10/10 lol...the unbiased sources (ones I trust) are stating the exact opposite.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I didn't have any issue with DK Returns, Uprising, or Skyward Sword despite those controls dividing a lot of folks so I'm not worried about that...

I do wish this game had a bit more depth though, I know story isn't the point of Star Fox perhaps but I am kind of disappointed they're just remaking 64's plot basically instead of doing something fun. Before this game came out I was totally hoping we'd have perhaps segments where you'd play as James (I thought the portals would serve this purpose and take you into the past or something), or an alternate route where you play from Wolf's side, but none of that happened.

Probably gonna pick it up because I do wanna support Star Fox since I have tons of fond memories of 64 and I hope a good reception towards this might make the next one a bit more fleshed out.

xevis

Banned
Well, I can't get now the whole dataset to do a proper analysis. But looking very superficially through the top layers and the bottom ones I could bet that the average is quite above the median. If I would be convinced it would be actually useful I would probably could lose some time and calculate an average. But it's not really worth it for a review thread in the end.

Even if you had all the data and were able to perform a detailed analysis of central tendency the results would still be meaningless. What separates a "72" game from a "73" ? Is a "72" 10% better than a "66" ? What does that even mean?! In short, it is pointless to attempt to create rankings from reviews. Simply put, games that are crap are crap games that are good are good. Beyond a very coarse level of categorisation you cannot make any further distinction. They are equivalent.

In this particular case the most anyone can say is that Star Fox Zero appears to be good.

EOF.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
huh? so what was 3/10 then? not a fail? the problem with that is that you haven't learned "much" or most of the concepts, so whether or not it is a fail it makes you virtually unemployable anyway...... in some programs an 8/10 is pass so academic scales should not be compared to media scales, even if they are for some reason.

whatever scale they use its pretty clear the numbers as of now mean virtually nothing. especially if they can't even stick to a simple average which is actually defined as average. most movie reviews that I see make sense as a simple 3/5, 4/5 , 5/5 where 3/5 is okay and 4/5 is good, 5/5 is excellent , etc. video games, not so much it seems.

Edit: oh, I got it now. No, 1-4 are different degrees of fail. 5 is pass, 6-7 average, 8 good, 9 great, 10 perfect. Or thereabout.

Even if you had all the data and were able to perform a detailed analysis of central tendency the results would still be meaningless. What separates a "72" game from a "73" ? Is a "72" 10% better than a "66" ? What does that even mean?! In short, it is pointless to attempt to create rankings from reviews. Simply put, games that are crap are crap games that are good are good. Beyond a very coarse level of categorisation you cannot make any further distinction. They are equivalent. Star Fox Zero appears to be good.

EOF.

It wasn't my point or my scope to make a difference between a 72 and a 73. The whole discussion started about 6-8 being a mediocre rating for games.

edit: anyhow I go to sleep now, so I will step out from this discussion.

Ouch. The only reason to pre-order this seems to be the sweet shirt I'd be getting:

QlbDmhh.png

Think I'm gonna pass tho.

At best, critical scoring systems can be used as coarse-grain indicators of quality. It's possible, for example, to categorise something as "good" or "crap" or "mediocre". Attempting to make finer categorisation, especially using a 100 point scale, is misguided as it creates the appearance of meaningful distinction where none exists. Worse still is trying to use these scores to create rankings. Ugh. So bad, I can't even.

Yes, I very much agree, I personally think it's reasonably possible to create three distinct categories in any medium basically: fantastic stuff, awful stuff that's poorly done (like doesn't work and shit) and everything in between that should be tried when you can if you enjoy that genre. When people start ranking and saying for example that like Ratchet & Clank is 9 points better than Quantum Break, which in turn is 5 points better than Star Fox Zero (3 radically different games no less), and take it as gospel or as indicative that it means anything at all, well that's just something I just don't agree.

george_us

Is it me or we never had the 80's/90's/early 00's scale? at least in videogames it was always closer to the top one.

And this gen the scale is the best as it ever was.
Yeah that top scale has basically how it's always been if you exclude Gamespot and EGM. A 7 or lower has been deemed 'shit' since pretty much the dawn of game reviews.

pulsemyne

Well that seals the no deal for me. And that really makes me question all the high scores it got, I mean some reviewers want me to believe the game is a 10/10 lol.

There's loads more to the game that unlocks. Alternate paths etc.
Also as someone who actually has the game and is playing all I can say is that if Polygon think the game is full of bugs etc and unfinished then, quite frankly, they must never have played a game before.
It's a good game and a lot of fun.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So Polygon refuses to review Star Fox Zero because the guy thinks it's so bad he can't bring himself to finish it and won't review a game he hasn't finished.

That reminds me of that time one of their guys was sent to a Guitar Hero Live Preview event but the guy never wrote a preview and instead talked about how bored he was and uninterested in the game he was.

Even if you had all the data and were able to perform a detailed analysis of central tendency the results would still be meaningless. What separates a "72" game from a "73" ? Is a "72" 10% better than a "66" ? What does that even mean?! In short, it is pointless to attempt to create rankings from reviews. Simply put, games that are crap are crap games that are good are good. Beyond a very coarse level of categorisation you cannot make any further distinction. They are equivalent.

In this particular case the most anyone can say is that Star Fox Zero appears to be good.

EOF.

A good/bad distinction with nothing in between is probably even worse than a 100 point scale.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm watching the stream and the guy is playing the game while looking at the controller the whole time.

Whose idea is this? You have to look at hte controller to play? I wnat to look at my 42 inch fucking TV...

This is... I don't even know how to explain how bad this is

NateDrake

I'm watching the stream and the guy is playing the game while looking at the controller the whole time.

Whose idea is this? You have to look at hte controller to play? I wnat to look at my 42 inch fucking TV...

This is... I don't even know how to explain how bad this is

No....you don't have to look at the controller the whole time. Link to the stream? If they are looking at the screen during on rail sections, then that is by choice.

Well that seals the no deal for me. And that really makes me question all the high scores it got, I mean some reviewers want me to believe the game is a 10/10 lol...the unbiased sources (ones I trust) are stating the exact opposite.

Unbiased yeah. That quote about the "2/3 hours" is just wrong, that's it. You could say that about every Star Fox and every other arcade game. This is probably the longest Star Fox game if you want to unlock everything and just finding all the secret levels.

MisterR

It kinda mystifies me that they chose probably the Wii U's last big exclusive to try and justify the game pad. Would have made a lot more sense as a launch title.

Order

Lmao this is the funniest part about these threads

Parapraxis

Unbiased yeah. That quote about the "2/3 hours" is just wrong, that's it. You could say that about every Star Fox and every other arcade game. This is probably the longest Star Fox game if you want to unlock everything and just finding all the secret levels.

So it's wrong, but right, but wrong because of a specific definition of "completing" a game, which isn't what the reviewer said.

Okay, what if a player just wants to beat the game, like complete the story as the reviewer said?

NateDrake

So it's wrong, but right, but wrong because of a specific definition of "completing" a game, which isn't what the reviewer said.

Okay, what if a player just wants to beat the game, like complete the story as the reviewer said?

Is SF5 only 15minutes long because you can beat the "Story" of one character in that amount of time? If you play to unlock all the stages in SF0, it'll take longer than 3hrs.

Okay, what if a player just wants to beat the game, as the reviewer said.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. This is a genre that requires you to replay the game again and again to improve your score and find hidden paths, it's that simple. When you review something you should at least know what kind of game you are talking about. You could play a racing game for 3 hours and see every track and then stop... would that make sense? Now, if he says that the game is so bad that after 2/3 hours he didn't want to keep playing, that's fair.

Lunar15

None of the reviews comment on Slippy

I just want to know about Slippy

Just how Slippy is he this time?

Hope they didn't skimp on the Slippy

*concludes post with random Slippy noises*

Take whatever you remember about slippy in 64 and copy/paste right on to Zero.

The game's story and dialogue are almost exactly the same, and honestly, I feel like 64 had more dialogue.

On Length: If it didn't bother you in 64, it won't bother you here. End of discussion. I'd have been fine with it if I actually enjoyed the gameplay, which I didn't.

Lunar15

64 launched in 1997, shit's changed a lot since then.

While I agree with this sentiment, that dated feeling shows up more in the Gameplay and how the game is presented more than the length. I've played plenty of games recently that were short and had no qualms about it because the replay value was high and there were lots of challenges to unlock. StarFox fits this category, but I just didn't really like the actual game.

There were 60 hour games back in 1997 as well.

Striek

There is quiet a dichotomy between Nintendo-centric outlets and mainstream media here.

The unscored reviews are particularly brutal though. They read like 2/10s.

wuth

Rail shooter lengths in general have not.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I quite enjoy the quick, pick up and play nature of these arcade games, but I understand why some wouldn't want to purchase a game like this. I've always loved shooters, so I'm pretty jazzed to play another one.

Lunar15

The game's not bad, it's just super niche. It's going to be niche even within the starfox fanbase. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea for a wide variety of reasons.

Except for some of those bosses. They're just not fun.

So Polygon refuses to review Star Fox Zero because the guy thinks it's so bad he can't bring himself to finish it and won't review a game he hasn't finished.

That reminds me of that time one of their guys was sent to a Guitar Hero Live Preview event but the guy never wrote a preview and instead talked about how bored he was and uninterested in the game he was.
Actually I'm surprised Gies didn't score it or label the post he wrote a "review."

As an outlet at least, Polygon has actually scored/reviewed games they haven't finished, like McElroy's Codename STEAM review. I guess Gies has different personal standards for reviews.

Schnozberry

This and the Giant Bomb review are bordering on self parody. It seems like the people who couldn't grasp the controls all decided that their Star Fox review must also be a solipsistic commentary on Nintendo's place in the industry.

Dmax3901

What a dickhead.

Lunar15

This and the Giant Bomb review are bordering on self parody. It seems like the people who couldn't grasp the controls all decided that their Star Fox review must also be a solipsistic commentary on Nintendo's place in the industry.

Nah, Giant Bomb review is legit. I might have come down a little softer, like a 3, but the point remains: playing Star Fox Zero made me seriously question if Star Fox was ever fun or if I was just too young to know what I liked. Ryckert's last paragraph is directly in line with how I thought about the game after completing it several times. Gies is being melodramatic, but his individual points aren't far from my experience.

I honestly had to go back and play the SNES versions and 64 to fully understood how I felt.

Shiggy

What's wrong with that though? I walked out of terrible movies and stopped playing games which I didn't like. On the one hand, people say reviewers aren't critical enough, on the other hand, if they are honest, that's also not ok if it does not fit one's agenda?

Luigi87

It would be interesting if Nintendo blacklisted Polygon from receiving future review copies.
I mean it's one thing for receiving either negative or lukewarm reviews, but to not even bother doing the review at all is something else.

Striek

Thats better than slapping 2-3/10 on it and bringing down the precious metacritic isn't it? If you read the review, you would know he thinks its shit. If you don't read the review, you wouldn't be happy with the score anyway.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I do wish this game had a bit more depth though, I know story isn't the point of Star Fox perhaps but I am kind of disappointed they're just remaking 64's plot basically instead of doing something fun.

Agreed, I was excited when Nintendo announced that they were making a new Star Fox game but it lost wind when I found out that it was the third reboot.

It just feels like that instead of letting the series progress Nintendo just keeps hitting the reboot button because they think that the fans wants more of the same.

I am still getting the game and I am excited for it but I do not want to see Star Fox get rebooted for the fourth time.

Shiggy

Thats better than slapping 2-3/10 on it and bringing down the precious metacritic isn't it? If you read the review, you would know he thinks its shit. If you don't read the review, you wouldn't be happy with the score anyway.

If he had given a score, you could be sure that B2YK would be the first to point out that the guy did not finish the game and is thus not qualified to review it.

Hilarion

It's just so disappointing to see that something I've always deeply loved (games that I can start up and beat opening to credits in one session, under 2 hours or so, but requiring finesse and mastery to do well) is now considered a bad thing. For years I've had to put up with games ballooning in length and scope, which I've never really been a fan of outside of RPGs (which I play on and off with other games in between). Now, finally, a game of the style I really like comes out, with a 2-3 hour campaign that requires you to come back to it again and again until you feel like you've totally mastered it 50 or 70 or 100 times through, and people are saying that's "archaic" or somehow a waste of money.

I'd much rather have a high skill ceiling 2 hour game I can sit down and go from opening to credits in one session and hone my skills at it for months, learn all the tricks, and achieve maximum possible scores at than a 20 hour game that I play once and never touch again, but no one makes games like that anymore. Now Nintendo has. I am so excited to finally get my hands on this on Friday.

Velcro Fly

Kid Icarus Uprising all over again

Top Bottom