• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Shiggy

Uncharted 3.

People are getting way too fed up with negative review opinions. Just becayse reviews are bad, it doesn't mean they cannot enjoy the game.

I absolutely loved the CING adventure titles, yet reviews made them seem rather bad. Did that hamper my experience? Not at all. Did I expect and understand the criticism of the reviews? Yes. And I also thought they were legitimate, they just did not bother me while playing the games.

Luigi87

So the game is reviewing decently... but is it good enough to get THREE OTs?!

Nnthj.jpg

GnawtyDog

Banned
Star Fox Zero and Ratchet & Clank were the games I was planning to purchase this month. But after watching the DF comparison between the PS4, PS3 and PS2 versions of R&C, I'm not getting the PS4 version at full price. The PS3 version of Racthet & Clank looks and plays better at 60 fps in my opinion. An action game running at 30 fps no matter how beautiful is not for me.

There should be a version with downgraded everything at 60fps for $60. For the pure...the game will somehow look better too.

That giantbomb review, oof. I had a sinking feeling an on rails shooter made in 2016 would not be received well.
Its like there's no place in the industry for games like this anymore..the 360/ps3 generation killed these mid tier budget games.

Uh, the mid-tier budget games have seen a massive resurgence since late last gen. The only difference is, they tend to be download titles and not priced at $60.

For all intents and purposes, Star Fox Zero is the $29.99 downloadable title you'd find on the eShop. It just can't compete in this space and it was foolish of Nintendo think it could. IIRC it was even meant to be a downloadable title at the beginning.

IzzyF3

Starfox is the only major Nintendo franchise I haven't played. I think I'll start with this one. The review scores are as expected.

I can't wait to try this Star Fox out. Considering how much I loved W101, I think I'll love this game and pick up the controls with legit satisfaction.

It's just so disappointing to see that something I've always deeply loved (games that I can start up and beat opening to credits in one session, under 2 hours or so, but requiring finesse and mastery to do well) is now considered a bad thing. For years I've had to put up with games ballooning in length and scope, which I've never really been a fan of outside of RPGs (which I play on and off with other games in between). Now, finally, a game of the style I really like comes out, with a 2-3 hour campaign that requires you to come back to it again and again until you feel like you've totally mastered it 50 or 70 or 100 times through, and people are saying that's "archaic" or somehow a waste of money.

I'd much rather have a high skill ceiling 2 hour game I can sit down and go from opening to credits in one session and hone my skills at it for months, learn all the tricks, and achieve maximum possible scores at than a 20 hour game that I play once and never touch again, but no one makes games like that anymore. Now Nintendo has. I am so excited to finally get my hands on this on Friday.

Yeah. The number of times I've run through games like the classic Mario games, classic Sonic games, Castlevania IV, Megaman 2, etc is worth well more than than a padded modern adventure game.

Starfox 64 was tons of fun with planning your routes and discovering secrets. I'm hoping this game lives up to it.

Azuran

Banned
The Kid Icarus Uprising comparisons seriously need to stop. From what I read and seen so far, this game is lacking a lot of content that made Uprising good in the first place. People were willing to put up with the controls in Uprising because it had a great (and new!) story, high production values, a lenghty single player campaign with insane replayability, and MULTIPLAYER.

Zero deserved better than being Star Fox 64.5 with crappy controls.

KingBroly

Banned
I definitely feel like this is the type of game that brings out the unprofessionalism in game reviewers. These reviews aren't a surprise, but the snarky/snide comments also aren't, which is something you shouldn't see in professional reviews, and only highlight why people don't trust game reviews anymore. It's all too common to see.

Is there an OT for this game? Can't find it.

But what I really want to know is what's the difference between the digital and physical release beside the 10 dollar price point?

Hilarion

I also strongly disagree with the notion that a short game should inherently be priced lower than a longer one. $50, Star Fox Zero's price, seems quite reasonable for what it has on offer, and if you get it retail at $60, you get Guard, which may or may not be good but which looks like it has the potential to be good. (I'm not getting Guard, just Zero)

Is Zero perfect for me? No, it's missing some things I would like (especially a Japanese audiotrack), but I love gyroscopic aiming on 3DS and Wii U and I love arcadey score-attack rail shooters, so this game is basically the only game in town for me on that front.

The death of the short arcade-length beat-in-one-sitting play the same levels over and over as you hone your skills game is one of the worst trends in modern gaming. There were plenty of arcade cabinets that I put well over $60 in quarters into. Having a game of that style at home for a fixed price, like Star Fox, is a blessing.

We need more new rail shooters. I hope this game inspires some competition in this space.

I am so glad this game didn't end up as Star Fox Meets No Man's Sky, with free exploration and no rails. The end of having the player on rails through fixed location was the end of good level design, IMO. I want more games with no roaming or exploration, just action through setpiece levels with predesigned challenges.

Then why is it so much of a problem? With Polygon not having a proper review, they are an easy target for the defense force, Giant bomb made it more difficult for them..

I've been playing games and reading reviews since the early eighties. I'm way too long in the tooth to get pissy about a review because someone didn't like a game that I do and I still think Gies review is bollocks. It's the tone and the way it's written. He, like some on hear, make gyro aiming out to be as difficult and uncomfortable as sword swallowing. It's national Enquirer level writing and it's written that way simply for attention. Giant bomb on the other hand, at least explain coherently their issues.

SegaShack

It's just so disappointing to see that something I've always deeply loved (games that I can start up and beat opening to credits in one session, under 2 hours or so, but requiring finesse and mastery to do well) is now considered a bad thing. For years I've had to put up with games ballooning in length and scope, which I've never really been a fan of outside of RPGs (which I play on and off with other games in between). Now, finally, a game of the style I really like comes out, with a 2-3 hour campaign that requires you to come back to it again and again until you feel like you've totally mastered it 50 or 70 or 100 times through, and people are saying that's "archaic" or somehow a waste of money.

I'd much rather have a high skill ceiling 2 hour game I can sit down and go from opening to credits in one session and hone my skills at it for months, learn all the tricks, and achieve maximum possible scores at than a 20 hour game that I play once and never touch again, but no one makes games like that anymore. Now Nintendo has. I am so excited to finally get my hands on this on Friday.
Seriously, this. The same people the bitch about short campaigns miss out in awesome games like Sin amd Punishment 2. Shorter games are usually more refined and I will replay those over and over again. That's why I miss older style games when things could be more polished instead of having 200 hours of "content" (which is usually boring). I'd take Contra 3 over The Witcher any day.

I also strongly disagree with the notion that a short game should inherently be priced lower than a longer one. $50, Star Fox Zero's price, seems quite reasonable for what it has on offer, and if you get it retail at $60, you get Guard, which may or may not be good but which looks like it has the potential to be good. (I'm not getting Guard, just Zero)

Is Zero perfect for me? No, it's missing some things I would like (especially a Japanese audiotrack), but I love gyroscopic aiming on 3DS and Wii U and I love arcadey score-attack rail shooters, so this game is basically the only game in town for me on that front.

The death of the short arcade-length beat-in-one-sitting play the same levels over and over as you hone your skills game is one of the worst trends in modern gaming. There were plenty of arcade cabinets that I put well over $60 in quarters into. Having a game of that style at home for a fixed price, like Star Fox, is a blessing.

We need more new rail shooters. I hope this game inspires some competition in this space.

I am so glad this game didn't end up as Star Fox Meets No Man's Sky, with free exploration and no rails. The end of having the player on rails through fixed location was the end of good level design, IMO. I want more games with no roaming or exploration, just action through setpiece levels with predesigned challenges.
The value proposition of any title is going to vary from person to person. What you value at $60, some people will think of as a $30 game.

We already has the same thing only a few years ago, guy who made Crimson Dragon claimed he was going to make a panzer dragoon HD remake and all these other rail shooters, yet Crimson Dragon bombed.. so dream died

Its just hard to make a rail shooter in the modern age

watershed

Banned
Even though I think this game has problems beyond it's control scheme, I would love to play it with twin stick move and aim controls. Even with it's other issues, I think it would be a fun game.

Giant Bomb - 2/5 - http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/sta...view/1900-741/

All of this would have been welcome in the early 2000s, but the years of disappointing follow-ups and the overall progression of industry standards leads to Star Fox Zero having the impact of an HD rerelease rather than a full sequel. Being able to beat the game in 2-3 hours doesn't help, no matter how many branching paths or lackluster challenge missions are included. Even the moment-to-moment action doesn't have anywhere near the impact that it had almost two decades ago, as this limited style of gameplay feels dated in 2016. Nintendo finally released the Star Fox game that I thought I wanted, but it leaves me wondering what place Fox McCloud has in today’s gaming landscape.
Don't believe Dan's lies. Nah, but he just realized that he doesn't like Star Fox anymore. That's not the game's fault and I'm sure those who understand and don't mind what Star Fox is will not be disappointed. I don't want a deep 100+ hour game from SF. I want a short, simple, highly re-playable experience that treads closest to the best SF games in the series and it sounds like that's what we're getting.

The argument of a game feeling dated could be said about Street Fighter V and Super Mario Maker as well but I've never heard anyone make that argument. Either you like on rail shooters or you don't.

I'll admit though, it is going to be hard to drop $60 on SF after paying only $40 for Ratchet and Clank a week ago, just on a technical level alone. But I'm a Star Fox fan, I'm hyped and this is said to be the best one since the best one came out 20 years ago.

Hilarion

The value proposition of any title is going to vary from person to person. What you value at $60, some people will think of as a $30 game.

Absolutely. You'd have to offer me 90% off Watch_Dogs or any other free-roaming open world game and I probably wouldn't even touch it afterwards, but people paid $60 and loved it and that's their taste.

What I have issue with is someone saying "Star Fox Zero has no place as a premium game in 2016" and acting like the type of games I love most, short arcadey games with replay and mastery value, have no place even being sold or made anymore. That there's no fundamental value to them outside of a digital-only novelty bargain bin experience. Isn't the game market big enough to have premium full price games with 2 hour campaigns and 200 hour campaigns both, and not just arbitrarily declare one "archaic" and "irrelevant?"

lt519

I just wish it was the good ole days where we weren't arguing over whether a Nintendo game was good or not. They were just good. The argument was whether they were great or excellent. Amiibo Fesitval, Mario Party, Mario Tennis...what the hell is going on?

Maybe Star Fox is great, but at this point (and I'm a huge Nintendo homer) I'm not buying this game. The media has been hitting them hard, and for the right reasons. Even on the 3DS front I'm having a hard time with their games. I'm half way through Fire Emblem and have no desire to finish. Paper Mario Jam I'm about a tenth of the way through and haven't even considered picking it back up. New trend this past year. Besides SMM (which the novelty wore off fast) and Splatoon it's been a massively weak past year.

I've had a hard time finishing Yoshi on Wii U. Had to force myself to finish Kirby and Treasure Tracker. They are good games, but they just lack something, can't put my finger on it. But I've left more Nintendo games on the shelf this past year than I have any other publisher/system in the 20 years I've been playing games.

Zemm

I think Gies is a knob but also think there's nothing wrong with his article on the game. It's basically a review without a score. I'd be shocked if most reviewers completed the majority of the games they've ever reviewed.

jariw

I definitely feel like this is the type of game that brings out the unprofessionalism in game reviewers. These reviews aren't a surprise, but the snarky/snide comments also aren't, which is something you shouldn't see in professional reviews, and only highlight why people don't trust game reviews anymore. It's all too common to see.

But of course, this is not an issue for GamersGate. It's the women in the industry that's the real issue.
/s

ASIS

I just wish it was the good ole days where we weren't arguing over whether a Nintendo game was good or not. They were just good. The argument was whether they were great or excellent. Amiibo Fesitval, Mario Party, Mario Tennis...what the hell is going on?

Maybe Star Fox is great, but at this point (and I'm a huge Nintendo homer) I'm not buying this game. The media has been hitting them hard, and for the right reasons. Even on the 3DS front I'm having a hard time with their games. I'm half way through Fire Emblem and have no desire to finish. Paper Mario Jam I'm about a tenth of the way through and haven't even considered picking it back up. New trend this past year. Besides SMM (which the novelty wore off fast) and Splatoon it's been a massively weak past year.

I've had a hard time finishing Yoshi on Wii U. Had to force myself to finish Kirby and Treasure Tracker. They are good games, but they just lack something, can't put my finger on it. But I've left more Nintendo games on the shelf this past year than I have any other publisher/system in the 20 years I've been playing games.
This is why enthusiasts need to care about the commercial performance of hardware/software, they dictate the ecosystem of a platform.
Here's hoping the NX actually pays off.

KingBroly

Banned
I think Gies is a knob but also think there's nothing wrong with his article on the game. It's basically a review without a score. I'd be shocked if most reviewers completed the majority of the games they've ever reviewed.

He doesn't commit to giving the game its' due diligence. That's what's wrong with it. Star Fox Zero is a very short game, like 2-3 hours long. The fact that he couldn't commit that amount of time to play the game disgraces him, the site he works for and his profession. It's unprofessional and embarrassing. He had 2 weeks to spend that much time with the game, and he couldn't be asked to simply do his job.

JoeM86

He doesn't commit to giving the game its' due diligence. That's what's wrong with it. Star Fox Zero is a very short game, like 2-3 hours long. The fact that he couldn't commit that amount of time to play the game disgraces him, the site he works for and his profession. It's unprofessional and embarrassing. He had 2 weeks to spend that much time with the game, and he couldn't be asked to simply do his job.

The thing I've heard is that your enjoyment of Star Fox Guard is directly proportional to your gaming skill.

I can imagine if he was not good at it, he'd not be liking it and it may have caused this.

Neff

Star Fox Zero - Verdict: Skip it and track down a copy of Star Fox 64 instead.

It's a better game than 64 imo.

The Kid Icarus Uprising comparisons seriously need to stop. From what I read and seen so far, this game is lacking a lot of content that made Uprising good in the first place.

Regarding the controls, they don't. It's true that Star Fox Zero clearly doesn't have anything like Uprising's budget or ambition, but I can see people having problems enjoying what is a very good game due to being turned off by a control system which is initially unintuitive.

TrueBlue

Tbf to Nintendo, most of the games listed are well regarded, so I think it would be remiss to suggest they are entirely at fault.

I'd argue that the games they've released in the last year are mostly fine, with some beinf wonderful, but maybe they're just not resonating with people for whatever reason. Or maybe "fine" just doesn't cut it for a lot of people.

Don't take this as an attack, mind. I'm just speculating.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, nice! Giant Bomb's Dan gave it a 2/5. I have pretty much the opposite opinion as him on most games, so this is promising.

I've seen this kind of "rebellious" attitude before in this thread and it still makes very little sense. First of all because I can bet that you haven't played all the games that he dislikes and secondly because it would make much more sense to find a reviewer that has a similar taste to yours and follow that one instead of following someone you have nothing in common. But i guess you showed him or something.

gerudoman

What I'm getting from this thread and from reviews is that I should just get Star Fox 64 3D. I've never played a Star Fox game ever, and I was hoping this would be good. It seems that the gyro aiming isn't super good. As someone who hated the gyro aiming in Splatoon, I don't think I'll like it in Star Fox any more than in Splatoon.
Regardless of Zero and its quality, 64 3D is an awesome game and a pretty safe bet. Do it.

Ninja Dom

I'm new to this thread and have what may be an obvious question.

I'm planning on buying Starfox Zero from the eShop. Will I automatically get Starfox Guard for free?

Kaisos

Is it true that Platinum was complaining in the Japanese gaming press about the motion controls being forced on them? There's a guy posting continually in the comments section of Gies' review about that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm new to this thread and have what may be an obvious question.

I'm planning on buying Starfox Zero from the eShop. Will I automatically get Starfox Guard for free?

No, but you'll get the game for a little less than the retail price and it'll also give you a discount on Guard so that the total price for both games is the same as buying Zero at retail.

He's claiming that it was an open-world game at some point before Nintendo forced them to redesign it.

Ahahahahah my god, I love that guy. The fact that the game started as a tech demo is under everyone's eyes, Platinum entered development later.
This new Miyamoto dictator thing is incredible, I would also argue that him forcing dual screen motion controls would have been fair, since it's been the best thing in the game, at least for me.
This started as a project to justify the gamepad.

KooopaKid

Banned
After the review of pokken of the same person(who doesn't want/hasn't the time to learn new way to playing fighting game) , people still believe in this "thing" that we called a review?

1461229444-arbjm.gif

Furthermore from a man who hates everything about motion control and don't like when there is a some challenges in video game(he got bodied by the final boss) yeah seems legit lol.

Also he complained too much about the technical and visual aspect of the game. It's not that bad looking to me. And Starfox has always been a short game so...
I think I'll get it cheaper, I don't need to play it absolutely day one.

Zalman

He's claiming that it was an open-world game at some point before Nintendo forced them to redesign it.
If you know anything about the development history of this game, you know this isn't the case. People are trying too hard to shit on it.

Top Bottom