• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

Red Devil

Btw I have to admit I was positively biased to this game because they completely erased Krystal. That alone makes it a good Star Fox game.

Is that confirmed however? Because that this is a retelling of Star Fox 64's events doesn't immediately kick what happened afterwards. Or else...

RNbcBCv.png

RagnarokX

Is that confirmed however? Because that this is a retelling of Star Fox 64's events doesn't immediately kick what happened afterwards. Or else...

The Star Fox Zero short animation that released yesterday had Slippy mention that they left Sauria 10 days prior to Andross' invasion.

At some point Fox enters a portal but goes mad because of the interstellar travel and kills Dinosaur Planet and Krystal, you actually get to do it, such a chilling scene and a critique on modern games, I really cried. Too bad this happens after 3 hours and 1 minute so most reviewers couldn't see it.

I just want Krystal to disappear

The reviews seem divisive but David Jenkins of Metro.co.uk gave it an 8 so that is really all I need. I am not going to worry about low scores from sites I don't read.

It's just so disappointing to see that something I've always deeply loved (games that I can start up and beat opening to credits in one session, under 2 hours or so, but requiring finesse and mastery to do well) is now considered a bad thing. For years I've had to put up with games ballooning in length and scope, which I've never really been a fan of outside of RPGs (which I play on and off with other games in between). Now, finally, a game of the style I really like comes out, with a 2-3 hour campaign that requires you to come back to it again and again until you feel like you've totally mastered it 50 or 70 or 100 times through, and people are saying that's "archaic" or somehow a waste of money.

I'd much rather have a high skill ceiling 2 hour game I can sit down and go from opening to credits in one session and hone my skills at it for months, learn all the tricks, and achieve maximum possible scores at than a 20 hour game that I play once and never touch again, but no one makes games like that anymore. Now Nintendo has. I am so excited to finally get my hands on this on Friday.

A great post and I agree with all you say. It just shows how gaming has changed. Needless padding and grinding that stretches an anaemic game across 30-40 hours seems acceptable in this day-and-age.

MrBadger

I'm not sure if the mediocre reception is for genuine reasons or it's another Wonderful 101 situation where reviewers just didn't get a grasp on the controls and those who did loved it. 3 hours isn't a detractor for me really, because there isn't only 3 hours of content.

Star Fox is basically Nintendo's Sonic to be honest.

I would say Sonic's had more than one good game tbh

Apt comparison though, considering the amount of experimentation in the series. Most Starfox games feel like either tech demos or totally different games with Fox in them to me.

KingBroly

Banned
Star Fox is basically Nintendo's Sonic to be honest. Golden age was decades ago, no coherent gameplay direction for the franchise, disregard for the tight gameplay of the originals, furries.

Nintendo might be better off putting the SF franchise on ice for a while. Bring back F-Zero instead, at least with that it will be hard for them to turn into a third-person adventure or something.

You know the last non-remake SF game came out in 2006, right?

If you want to talk a franchise that Nintendo mismanaged to hell and back despite its' success, look at Metroid. Star Fox is simply a 1-trick pony they never figured out how to expand on.

Thud

The Star Fox Zero short animation that released yesterday had Slippy mention that they left Sauria 10 days prior to Andross' invasion.

Fox fought Andross in Adventures tho. Besides Krystal not joining, didn't Peppy retire in Adventures and took on a support role?

Castef

Banned
Has it? I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but here's a list of some high quality Star Fox-style rail shooters with their release dates.

Star Fox - 1993
Panzer Dragoon - 1995
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - 1996
Star Fox 64 - 1997
Rez - 2002
Panzer Dragoon Orta - 2003
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - 2010
Child of Eden - 2011
Kid Icarus 3DS - 2012

This particular sub-genre isn't exactly overflowing with new releases these days.

mmmh... you could add the most recent Afterburner.

Nosgotham

i slept on xenoblade, pokken, yoshi, kirby, twilight princess. this is the first retail wiiu game ill be picking up since mario maker and i cant wait!

It's a new continuity, but apparently Sauria still exists and Team Star Fox has already been there.

While that really doesn't mean much aside from Sauria existing, unless whoever makes the next game forgets about this particular detail, I imagine it'd be excuse to get into the meat of things quickly. And, again, at least one notable Platinum dev wants Krystal in the sequel.

I'd be totally up for a Platinum-style reimagining of Sauria regardless of gameplay format, btw. Maybe they'll even look at Rare's original plans for Dinosaur Planet and take notes.

Sapiens

I forgot to cancel my preorder. It's in the mail! I should probably return it because I simply detest the idea of the free camera parts.

JoeM86

Big grin on my face :D

Once you've mastered the controls, the game is ridiculously fun. I know many say it takes hours to master it, but I've got the hang of it pretty fast.

So I got in touch with Amazon, seems the delivery date is bugged but the game should be delivered Friday.

Once you've mastered the controls, the game is ridiculously fun. I know many say it takes hours to master it, but I've got the hang of it pretty fast.
Yeah, I am hearing this more from actual gamers and not reviewers. I am looking forward to trying to master them.
Reviewers tend to give up if any challenge comes up.

I am still disappointed alternate exits are event based and not based on goals.

"Waaa I have to learn a new control method" :p

I'm enjoying it so far :)

Oh, it's this again.

Still wondering how long it'll take for people to accept that some won't like the controls.

Again: At what point can someone say they don't like the game and/or the controls and not be arraigned for it? How long do you have to play and how good will you have to be at the game in order to say that?

Ridley327

The average game doesn't play like Star Fox, it's style of game hasn't been seen much since the 90s.

Just look at all the people saying Yoshi's Story was short when it was rereleased on VC. That game is structured just like Star Fox, people got to the end credits without realizing they only played less than a quarter of the game in.

Is it the fault of the game to have a structure that is alien to modern gamers? Maybe, it's a valid problem; albeit one that shouldn't be.
To be fair, Yoshi's Story received criticism even back then for altering the formula so drastically from its predecessor, where even taking into account that it was designed for multiple playthroughs that it still wound up with far fewer levels than YI, and with very little variety to boot.

Definitely curious to play this when it arrives, still not really clear what is making some reviewers dislike it more than 64.

Common in-game issues reviewers are saying tend to be:
- Alternate exits are event based
- Levels are short
- Not enough going on in levels

Star Fox 64 is a high bar though, it is the best N64 game IMO.

georly

- Levels are short

Ocarina wants you to fight it, after school. Playground, 3pm.

Won't be able to play til saturday, but game should be delivered tomorrow afternoon. Just need to finish ratchet before I start! Almost done, I think. Looking forward to a real star fox game again, even if it is 15 years late.

- Levels are short

Thanks for the summary. The last point is worrying, I don't think short levels is necessarily a bad thing though. We'll see, should hopefully have it tomorrow.

The most depressing thing about this is that Treasure made an amazing railshooter for Nintendo on Wii with Sin & Punishment 2. Go back to that and tell me, which one looks more impressive for it's respective hardware?

I enjoyed Star Fox Adventures for its characters, world, and story :p

Should put this as a disclaimer under all your posts just to give other people a heads-up.

Thanks for the summary. The last point is worrying, I don't think short levels is necessarily a bad thing though. We'll see, should hopefully have it tomorrow.
Hopefully I will enjoy it more than reviewers.
The reviews were exhausting to read because some of them come off as real whiny. GamesRadar, IGN, and GameXplain to me had the best reads/watches.

Ridley327

The most depressing thing about this is that Treasure made an amazing railshooter for Nintendo on Wii with Sin & Punishment 2. Go back to that and tell me, which one looks more impressive for it's respective hardware?

Should put this as a disclaimer under all your posts just to give other people a heads-up.

It will never cease to amaze me that we got S&P2 at all. Iwata had to have known they were going to take a bath on that game as soon as it was suggested, and he still gave the greenlight and gave Treasure all the resources they needed to make something that crazy and epic. Every level felt like its own game.

JoeM86

Oh, it's this again.

Still wondering how long it'll take for people to accept that some won't like the controls.

Again: At what point can someone say they don't like the game and/or the controls and not be arraigned for it? How long do you have to play and how good will you have to be at the game in order to say that?

As a person who writes about, and sometimes reviews, games, I know personally from speaking to others how reluctant they are with different controls. I know many that won't give a game a shot if it doesn't have "standard" controls. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, there's not liking controls, and I get that, but many won't give them a chance and go in expecting to hate it.

I'm liking the controls, though they are exhausting while being fun.

Red Devil

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!

Where'd you get it?

You are insane, you expect people to take HOURS to learn anything related to handling a game.

Ocarina wants you to fight it, after school. Playground, 3pm.

You're both wrong, it's Banjo-Kazooie.

To be honest I'm undecided, but OoT and SF64 are easily in the top four anyway.

I don't see the problem with that.

MisterR

Star Fox Zero and Ratchet & Clank were the games I was planning to purchase this month. But after watching the DF comparison between the PS4, PS3 and PS2 versions of R&C, I'm not getting the PS4 version at full price. The PS3 version of Racthet & Clank looks and plays better at 60 fps in my opinion. An action game running at 30 fps no matter how beautiful is not for me.

Ratchet and Clank is a fantastic game and it looks worlds better than the PS3 ones. Not to mention it launched at 40 bucks.

lt519

Don't take this as an attack, mind. I'm just speculating.

Not to burst your bubble, but this is -mainly- you. There were always crap releases in Nintendo's calendar, among mediocre, excellent, and truly fantastic ones.

Though to call it as it is, it is becoming increasingly difficult to produce exemplary content in such quantities, and Nintendo has been producing content non-stop, trying to support its systems.

That's a perfectly fine response. Just something that has been percolating with me. Nintendo has just been missing it's mark with me more recently. Early Wii U and 3DS were fantastic and now I'm having a hard time getting through what the media perceives to be good to excellent games which makes it harder for me to justify a purchase in a genre I'm not huge on when the reviews are all the way from poor to good. And it's not that I've suddenly stopped liking that Nintendo style of game, I'm digging Ratchet and Clank right now and loved Ori and the Blind Forest (essentially a homage to Nintendo game design).

Zomba13

So far I'm enjoying it. Worst bit so far is the slow ass Gyrocopter and Direct-i stuff but I assumed that'd be slow and tedious going by everything they showed in trailers and such. I like the chicken mode more than I thought I would, I imagined that would be clunky and awkward but it works fine for what is essentially "on foot" mode.

The aiming does take a bit to get used to but not because "omg motion waggle uch" but because it's not what I thought, I imagined the onscreen aim reticule would be accurate to the motion stuff but it's not. What that means is you can't just rely on looking at the screen and tilting to get better aim, you do need to look at the gamepad because the cross-hairs line up correctly on that but not on the screen. Unsure if that changes if you have it set to only use motion when you use ZR (which is the fire button, which seems like a weird thing to do. I thought that control scheme was like, normal SF shooting but then you hit an "aim" button to allow you to aim but the "aim" button is really just the fire button so I don't know how that changes things apart from keeping the cross-hairs still when you're not shooting which doesn't seem to be any kind of issue).

As a person who writes about, and sometimes reviews, games, I know personally from speaking to others how reluctant they are with different controls. I know many that won't give a game a shot if it doesn't have "standard" controls. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, there's not liking controls, and I get that, but many won't give them a chance and go in expecting to hate it.

I'm liking the controls, though they are exhausting while being fun.

That doesn't answer my questions though. At what point can the GamesRadar reviewer, or anyone else, say they don't like the controls, don't how those controls are implemented, and don't like how it affects the overall experience, without it merely being "waaaa, I don't want to learn new controls?"

If someone's played Splatoon and not liked gyro controls, will you say they're still whining when they're worried about whether they'll like Zero? How long do they need to have played the game to be able to voice their opinion about it legitimately?

and is it even possible for someone else to criticize the controls as being a negative aspect of the game? If so, what would they have to say, and to what degree would they need to assess the controls to be satisfactory for you?

Only reason I ask is because I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile posting impressit be of the game here — if anything negative is going to get met with defensive drivel on mere principle.

Top Bottom