• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Remember when this thread was about the convention and not an offshoot of the Star Wars Discussion thread in off-topic community?
Simpler times.

We gotta argue about Star Wars while we wait for tomorrow, not much of news until then.

Now about that Mary Rey Sue...

Which is still more than any of the pilots in Rogue One.

Not really, no. They're action figures too. Fuller-Brush mustache man and screaming monkey gun guy have just about as much personality.

You guys are acting like the space battles are some fount of characterization that you clutched tight to your chest the past 20 years and that doesn't make any sense to me.

Wedge has two moments of any discernable personality in all of the films:

"Sorry!"

and

"Whoo-ahh!"

Boem

Yeah, because you guys are so invested in Nien Nunb and unnamed pilots 34 and 87 screaming into their comlinks for 3 seconds in Return of the Jedi

It's not entirely fair to completely ignore Lando there, and Luke being on the Death Star having his climactic battle with Vader and the Emperor while that battle is going on.

It carries a different weight, for sure. That's something you can make a definitive statement about on how much it should matter to other fans really.

Especially since, on the technical side, people have already said R1 obviously exceeds any of the others. But obviously there should be more there for some people, or this discussion wouldn't exist at all.

I agree that especially Ep 4, but Ep 6 as well work better for me.

Sephzilla

You fuckin' kids and your hard on for Jedi's climax has become this recursive feedback loop of overinflated importance to the point where even attempting to speak to it critically causes you to curl up like pillbugs (or droidekas) and nope out.

You guys are acting like the space battles are some fount of characterization that you clutched tight to your chest the past 20 years and that doesn't make any sense to me

Why are you making personal jabs at the people who think Rogue One's final battle isn't as good as Jedis? Your counter arguments are basically boiling down to BUT YOU KIDS AND YOUR NOSTALGIA

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
All the emotional beats in the battle don't come from the pilots, why should they? They come from all the characters on the ground trying to get the plans.

It's not like the battle is happening on a vacuum, what's happening up there is effecting what's happening on the ground. Their success or failure impacts the success of our heroes, the ones we care about.

Davide

I think emotional attachment of any kind is there in Rogue One purely just because they're rebels, and it's enough. It's all or nothing for the Rebellion at this point so the stakes are high. And this:

All the emotional beats in the battle don't come from the pilots, why should they? They come from all the characters on the ground trying to get the plans.

It's not like the battle is happening on a vacuum, what's happening up there is effecting what's happening on the ground. Their success or failure impacts the success of our heroes, the ones we care about.

It all feels very well connected.

You fuckin' kids and your hard on for Jedi's climax has become this recursive feedback loop of overinflated importance to the point where even attempting to speak to it critically causes you to curl up like pillbugs (or droidekas) and nope out.

Calm down though

Surfinn

Yeah, because you guys are so invested in Nien Nunb and unnamed pilots 34 and 87 screaming into their comlinks for 3 seconds in Return of the Jedi

The space battles aren't awesome because you actually give a fuck about the (mostly unnamed) people rocking back and forth on a gimbal. They're awesome because of the way they're shot, cut, and scored.

Rogue One's battle is planned out better, shot better, executed better. It's the best space battle in the series. There are obvious objectives, they all make visual sense, you can see them happening, track the action as it's happening even across cuts back down to the planet—and also, the way the ground battle feeds the air battle and vice-versa is also done better in Rogue One than it is Jedi—and that's not even getting into the fact the VFX work is fucking flawless, as is the sound design and score.

"where is the tension"

Yeah, Jedi's space battle was loaded chock full of "tension." Sure. I don't know what movie you're talking about, but it's not Return of the Jedi. That space battle is pure spectacle. Nothing more. GREAT spectacle, sure. And on the strength of that spectacle alone, it used to be the best space battle in that series.

It isn't now.
Not sure if you were referring to me in any of that but.. Dude no one is flipping out or overly excited about it. No one is noping out. It's a calm discussion.

I do think if you remove Lando you lose a lot of the investment in the battle itself, but yeah it is a huge spectacle. I do think the battle would have been elevated in R1 had it included a Lando to center it around. I do think there's a problem if you can decimate an entire army of good guys and the audience isn't too broken up about it.

However, ANH is a much better example of how to do a battle scene. The comparison is unmatched IMO; ROTJ and R1 both fall far below it in terms of its impact.

Why are you making personal jabs at the people who think Rogue One's final battle isn't as good as Jedis?

I'm not. They're just jabs, period. I don't take this shit serious. It's fuckin' Star Wars.

Why are you taking this silly ridiculousness personally?

I think your opinions on Return of the Jedi are goofy. So what. It's not like I'm saying you can't have them. I'm just gonna rib you for em. Doesn't mean you have to discard 'em or whatever. They're yours.

Treasure those motherfuckers if you want. It's not like I'm your roommate. I don't have to live with em.

Not sure if you were referring to me in any of that but..

If the tauntaun's open, crawl in it. You'll have company!

Sephzilla

I'm not. They're just jabs, period. I don't take this shit serious. It's fuckin' Star Wars.

Why are you taking this silly ridiculousness personally?

I think your opinions on Return of the Jedi are goofy. So what. It's not like I'm saying you can't have them. I'm just gonna rib you for em. Doesn't mean you have to discard 'em or whatever. They're yours.

Treasure those motherfuckers if you want.

....You're the only one here who's taking this shit way too personally going off of your last few comments

Audette

I find it funny that people are claiming they aren't connected to the characters of rogue one then follow up with examples of characters who have been built up with years of exposure, expansion and flushing out.

I agree the rogue one cast is rushed and underdeveloped (should have cut the mind reading octopus for a little bit more bonding of the characters sure) but their cause and objective is clear and that's all the movie is supposed to need.

I love the space battle to me It's clear that the space battle is important to the ground to succeed so it's tension comes from seeing the prices fall into place. The spectacle of getting A New Hope set up is what the movie is hoping you get into, Rogue one is built on hope! A new hope. Hahaha.

Anyways I'm sure we will see a lot more of the characters of rogue one set up in the new rebels season. Hopefully we get a trailer during celebration.

And now most vendors are doing ticket queues in the morning just to be allowed to shop in booths, such stupid shit.

There are 2 separate halls reserved for queueing for the panels. This is just to get into the convention hall. I'll let you know if they get kicked out

Who told you that? Security is not allowing people to line up till 8 inside. From what I was told, these are people waiting.... to get in line at 8 tonight. They can't be inside cause of security, so they are waiting outside to be let in

TheXbox

The space battle in Rogue One is better tbh. That's the impression I had after rewatching on Bluray, and I know for a fact I stan harder for Return of the Jedi than anyone else on this forum. The battle in RotJ is just cruisers and fighters milling around for 20 minutes while we wait for Han to do his job. There's no strategy behind the spectacle.

Rogue One is much more direct: Fly in. Send X-wings through the gate. Now attack the shield gate. That doesn't work, so launch a couple of Star Destroyers into it. Get the plans. Get out. Oh no, Darth Vader! Continue running. Cue ANH. The back-and-forth between the ground battle and the space battle is also a thousand times more effective, especially since we have characters in both arenas actually engaging with each other. It's got ROTJ beat in every measure.

It's okay, though, cause Jedi has Luke on the Death Star. It all evens out.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Remember that we are talking about a film series where a giant fishman steps into icky icky poo poo.

There's no need to be upset.

Sephzilla

No, I'm not taking it personally.

Like, what's the voice you guys are hearing in your head when you read this stuff?

Is it a serious one?

why

if you're not being serious then cool, im sorry. but i look at stuff like this

and i dont exactly see "i'm not being serious here guys". maybe that's the whole its hard to detect sarcasm on the internet thing factoring in.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
VIII or IX better deliver some Saving Private Ryan-tier battle coverage.

Thought Rogue One would deliver on that but not really (especially since most of the sequences I was looking forward to got axed). Still easily the best part of that movie though for all its faults.

Toa TAK

Banned
Seriously guys,

I should direct a Star Wars movie.

It would be the best.

Can't you imagine the greatness? I'd have Shannon in there somewhere.

Probably a Stormtrooper who can aim. Like, a whole movie based on what an anomaly he is because of that.

It would be great.

lieutenant_telsij.jpg
starwarsfemalepilot-jpg_193312.jpg
latest

Those are the faces of pure investment, right there.

The space battles aren't awesome because you actually give a fuck about the (mostly unnamed) people rocking back and forth on a gimbal. They're awesome because of the way they're shot, cut, and scored.

Rogue One's battle is planned out better, shot better, executed better. It's the best space battle in the series. There are obvious objectives, they all make visual sense, you can see them happening, track the action as it's happening even across cuts back down to the planet—and also, the way the ground battle feeds the air battle and vice-versa is also done better in Rogue One than it is Jedi—and that's not even getting into the fact the VFX work is fucking flawless, as is the sound design and score.

"where is the tension"

Yeah, Jedi's space battle was loaded chock full of "tension." Sure. I don't know what movie you're talking about, but it's not Return of the Jedi. That space battle is pure spectacle. Nothing more. GREAT spectacle, sure. And on the strength of that spectacle alone, it used to be the best space battle in that series.

It isn't now.

Bobby spitting pure truth

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Seriously guys,

It would be the best.

Probably a Stormtrooper who can aim. Like, a whole movie based on what an anomaly he is because of that.

It would be great.

Where were you trained, Skywalker?

ON A FFFFAAARM?

Davide

Seriously guys,

It would be the best.

It would be great.

Make Star Wars great again

TheXbox

Seriously guys,

It would be the best.

It would be great.
I thought you were directing Episode IX?

Chairhome

Be the change you wish to see or wait 15 minutes. It'll get there.
I have been on my last 4 posts, bro! Haha

Who told you that? Security is not allowing people to line up till 8 inside. From what I was told, these are people waiting.... to get in line at 8 tonight. They can't be inside cause of security, so they are waiting outside to be let in
Yeah, i think I made a mistake. They're hovering around til the panel lines start. My fault for trying to piece together second hand info

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah

yeah

It'll be great. Then I'd have Jessica Chastian in there because I can as his mentor or something.

#MakeStarWarsAmuricanAgain

Surfinn

Look Bobby ya made good points about what makes a good battle, for example the way it's shot and how the score is implemented.. But I agree that you're the only one getting worked up here. Just because people think Jedi does a lot of the things you listed better the R1 (hint: it does) doesn't mean you need to knee-jerk straight into nostalgia blinders. It doesn't mean people aren't capable of criticising the films without bias.

I still think the perceived stakes, score, framing, and creative battle ideas (yes besides it being another death star) are all better in Jedi than in R1. That's ok though.

I really wish they would have put somebody we care about in the space battle too.

Either way, ANH's is much better for lots of different reasons I've already stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom