• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacce

Banned
For real though. The best space battle is when Padme's ship exploded in Clones and Corde or whoever the fuck she was died.
fb0cfc79bf0bd0592a6011cfe2d67ccd.jpg

molnizzle

Yeah, because you guys are so invested in Nien Nunb and unnamed pilots 34 and 87 screaming into their comlinks for 3 seconds in Return of the Jedi

lieutenant_telsij.jpg
starwarsfemalepilot-jpg_193312.jpg
latest

Those are the faces of pure investment, right there.

The space battles aren't awesome because you actually give a fuck about the (mostly unnamed) people rocking back and forth on a gimbal. They're awesome because of the way they're shot, cut, and scored.

Rogue One's battle is planned out better, shot better, executed better. It's the best space battle in the series. There are obvious objectives, they all make visual sense, you can see them happening, track the action as it's happening even across cuts back down to the planet—and also, the way the ground battle feeds the air battle and vice-versa is also done better in Rogue One than it is Jedi—and that's not even getting into the fact the VFX work is fucking flawless, as is the sound design and score.

You fuckin' kids and your hard on for Jedi's climax has become this recursive feedback loop of overinflated importance to the point where even attempting to speak to it critically causes you to curl up like pillbugs (or droidekas) and nope out.

"where is the tension"

Yeah, Jedi's space battle was loaded chock full of "tension." Sure. I don't know what movie you're talking about, but it's not Return of the Jedi. That space battle is pure spectacle. Nothing more. GREAT spectacle, sure. And on the strength of that spectacle alone, it used to be the best space battle in that series.

It isn't now.

Look at all the facts in this post.

Just look at them.

I actually love Rogue One's space battle. It has a race against time, heroic sacrifice to delay inevitable, and just in time arrival. I've said this before but there's no better moment than when a fleet arrives from hyperspace and the s-foils are being locked in attack position. Squad leaders are rattling off jargon and all the pilots are sounding off.

ANH trench run is tense but it's not the best space battle simply because it's very understated, to a fault. I mean the Death Star is planet sized and they send like 5 fighters to defend it.

Also you don't need to personally know every detail about the pilots to be invested in them and their cause. Every death is a huge blow to the rebels while it's a non-event for the Imperials which creates sympathy for the cause and the underdog nature of it. People beg for smarter movies but want to be spoon-fed exposition and emotion or else they don't feel anything. Might as well make all the pilots dogs
or horses
if you want cheaply squeeze emotion out of soulless viewers.

Emarv

How long until Episode VIII posters are revealed? Are those not until it gets closer to release?

I'd love a Last Jedi poster.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yo is that Luke shot at 1:40 new? Did they just sneak the first tidbit of footage into their youtube show?

I just compared it to TFA on Netflix, the shot definitely is different there. Maybe behind the scenes footage from TFA?

I believe that was taken from the "First day of shooting" video they released for Last Jedi a year or so ago.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So do we know if the Boba Fett spin-off is still going ahead after Trank left the project? Maybe that might get officially announced within the next few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom