• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Tom_Cody

So I was looking to expand my Episode I collection, but was having some trouble finding a decent AAT. The regular Action Fleet vehicle is out of my price range. The electronic one isn't, but the wired remote limits the display potential. The Micro Machines and Titanium toys don't really have the detail I want, and I don't have room for the larger ones. Eventually, I found something on eBay I hadn't previously considered: the Star Wars F-Toys line.

These Japanese exclusive models come in blind boxes, though mine was obviously opened before I purchased it. They're pre-painted, but some assembly is required. The smaller pieces need to be cut from their sprues before they can be attached to the main body. No glue is required, though you may want to use it anyway on some parts.

The hard, inflexible plastic gives the model a delicate and fragile look and feel, but there's a lot of sharp detail here that looks really nice on something so small.
95ZkMPa.png

Even the bottom has some nice molded details.

The primary cannon can rotate, as well as the secondary side guns, though one is pretty loose on mine and tends to rotate downwards.

The base has a bunch of holes for the stand to slot into, so there's quite a few options here for positioning. There's some information about the vehicle printed in English on the base as well.

This thing is pretty cool, I might see if I can get the Jedi Starfighter as well.
Very cool! I had never heard of that line.

Yarbskoo

Very cool! I had never heard of that line.

I know people like die cast because of the weight and durability, but I much prefer plastic if it means I can get this kind of detail in the sculpt. I'm sure it'd get crushed if any actual children got their hands on it though.

Hey, are they ever going to make a replica of Sabine's helmet? I saw one of those plastic helmet-masks at Target and I realized I'd pay some good monies for the real deal.

Yarbskoo

Picked up an Action Fleet Flash Speeder. This one seems to be fairly common.
YdfrYrZ.png
8xxzJc0.png

The barrel of the cannon on the back acts as a projectile. There's a small button on the side that launches it.
pN0tkxV.png
hroncAG.png

The blaster rotates and even has a bit of flexibility to aim up or down.
6wKa6K1.png

There's a couple of pegs that let additional minifigures ride on the back of the speeder. For some reason, these can be pushed up from the bottom. Of course, the figures can also sit in the seats like normal human beings.
3NqddZC.png
SBpShGt.png

As usual, the minifigure has some nice detail.
zI1VbrC.png

One of the engine panels flips open to reveal some detail and another mysterious Action Fleet peg hole. The bottom of the vehicle also has some retractable wheels.
rXdRejP.png
RsiQ8LX.png

I like the metallic paint they've used here, though I do wish they'd found a way to make the blaster cannon look less like plastic.

Yarbskoo

Got My Revell AT-ACT Walker today, not bad for £14.99, Airfix without the gluing lol, and it has posable leg and head parts and light up front and walking sound.

I'm not completely sold on the vehicle design, but that kit looks pretty neat. I'm not a fan of toys that make sounds, but I like lights.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A nearby Target had a major restock and I picked up Director Krennic and a Scariff trooper. Happy with both. The trooper has surprisingly good articulation for an armored BS figure. They also had C-3PO. He looks terrible compared to my Bandai kit and the articulation is even more limited.

Finally. Kotobukiya have released some images of ArtFX+ Finn and Rey. They look good. Out in July.

OH MY GOD HHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

I know Kotobukiya hesitates to do anything other than Stormtroopers and other masked fiends these days because their facial sculpts have been pretty middling in the past, but these look pretty stellar. Let's hope these turn out as well as these prototypes look.

He looks close enough to John Boyega that no one is going to fuss. Much closer than Koto's past sculpts in this line, and light years better than anything Hasbro can hope to churn out of their orc forge.

Oh I agree. I would rather have a Funko Pop of a character rather than what you can buy in the toy isle at ToysRUs.

Edit. That's with human face sculpts. I think some of the droid and trooper, and masked Black Series figures are fantastic.

I like Hasbro. Just started collecting the Black Series 6-inch figures a few days ago. I really like them. Huge improvement over anything I used to have.
I had most of the Power of the Force toys from the '90s, and quite a bit of the early 2000s stuff from the original trilogy and prequels, and also some Micro Machines, Lego, a few original Kenner figures, Star Wars Unleashed, some bendy figures, a bunch of KFC/Taco Bell toys, and a bunch of other stuff. But I lost most of that after I moved to Florida and my mom decided to just throw it all way, and then I lost everything else but one Boba Fett figure after a lot of moving, and getting kicked out suddenly thanks to some dumb landlord not paying the bank for the house we were renting from them, and also losing our storage place. My older brother still has tons of his Star Wars figures, though, and owns a lot of the Black Series figures.

Edit. That's with human face sculpts. I think some of the droid and trooper, and masked Black Series figures are fantastic.

Definitely. I think Koto's previous less-than-stellar face sculpts are what made them hesitant about new characters. Thus why they were churning out nothing but troopers and droids for Force Awakens until now. It's good they took their time with these.

I was looking for a Star Wars hoodie to get and I saw one under google image search that I couldn't find on any store. It was an Adidas Rebel XWing Military hoodie. The only place I could find it was on eBay. Found out it was a U.K. Exclusive and the particular seller that I felt comfortable ordering from was in Hong Kong. Placed the order and had a shipping notification 2 hours later. I really like it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-ADI...%3Ad6437c711580a35713b8505bfff49b65%7Ciid%3A2

Yarbskoo

Alright, with this 1998 Episode I preview pack, I think I've got about all I want from the Phantom Menace Action Fleet line. Despite it being a "Limited Edition!" this is one of the cheapest and easiest to find Action Fleet sets for the film.
giQHNoo.png

This set comes with a vehicle, four minifigures, and a fun diorama base.
UBYgf1F.png

I actually really like this little piece of scenery. Sure, the sliding and spinning battle droid mounts are gimmicky throwaway action features, but there's nice sculpted and painted detail on all sides.
uP2D1gn.png
axfln8c.png

Pressing one of the light fixtures causes part of the wall to pop off to reveal some extra battle damage detail.
AIl69JZ.png

The minifigures include Captain Panaka, two red colored battle droids, and a security guard that differs only slightly from the one that comes with the Flash Speeder.
kPPnll0.png
K1d8bLw.png
NpRCzV1.png

The Gian Speeder is slightly different from how I remember it in the film, with two large rotating cannons and a fully enclosed cockpit.
NZfjUsI.png

The vehicle features metallic paint with some simple weathering. A small button on each blaster cannon releases a spring loaded projectile, and the cockpit opens to fit up to four figures.
4OiA1pZ.png

This set doesn't include a standard Action Fleet stand, though there is a mounting point on the bottom of the vehicle for one. Instead, the toy has the same flip out wheels as the Flash Speeder. Oddly, the axles aren't set quite in the middle of the wheels, which means the speeder wobbles a bit as it rolls. I'm not sure if this was done intentionally to give it a "floating" motion or just a manufacturing error.

Rootbeer

Banned
WOW after seeing the movie I would have instantly purchased a U-Wing if Hasbro hadn't made it a pos.

Buy the LEGO version :)

I've given up on any 3.75 scale Hasbro stuff. It's increasingly being lowered in quality to get it down to kid-friendly prices. I like their 6" figure line (they have only done one vehicle in that scale, the First Order TIE, but it was quite nice as well.)

With LEGO though, I feel like it's something you can be a little prouder to display. Becuase it's a model, and LEGO is generally well-regarded in terms of quality and aesthetics of their Star Wars vehicle reproductions.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There's a model kit. Revell doesn't make the best stuff but this one is cheap ($11 on Amazon) and looks ok without paint
https://postimage.org/
This is what it looks like straight out of the box after about 15 minutes of assembly.
The wings are articulated.

ghostmind

Buy the LEGO version :)

I've given up on any 3.75 scale Hasbro stuff. It's increasingly being lowered in quality to get it down to kid-friendly prices. I like their 6" figure line (they have only done one vehicle in that scale, the First Order TIE, but it was quite nice as well.)

With LEGO though, I feel like it's something you can be a little prouder to display. Becuase it's a model, and LEGO is generally well-regarded in terms of quality and aesthetics of their Star Wars vehicle reproductions.

One of my favourite LEGO sets of the year, and that was before I saw the movie. Now I would rank it even higher.

PD4uZt7.jpg

There's a model kit. Revell doesn't make the best stuff but this one is cheap ($11 on Amazon) and looks ok without paint
This is what it looks like straight out of the box after about 15 minutes of assembly.

If I could get all the characters in scale with it, i'd be incredibly happy.
My problem with Hasbro is I have been collecting stuff here and there from a continuous line(design wise) since at least Episode 3, and suddenly they just start caring less and less about that line.

Like the 6" is great but it really doesn't work for Star Wars because vehicles and stuff are such a huge part of it.

I wish Star Wars had a decent amount of 1/100 scale stuff(humans required) because i'd immediately make that my main Star Wars collection.
Recently really got into 1/100 DC and military stuff.

One of my favourite LEGO sets of the year, and that was before I saw the movie. Now I would rank it even higher.

PD4uZt7.jpg
Lego just destroys Hasbro lately with stuff like this, its seriously almost shocking.
Like the Hasbro Star Wars team even said in a interview they didn't think the hover tank would sell so they dismissed it, yet the AT-AT and terrible U-Wing will set the world on fire.
Or like that terrible Falcon(nothing opened) that was in the Rebels line a few years after the BMF and less than a year before Hasbro were going to release a new sculpt Falcon anyway.
Why not just release a really shitty Ghost or something instead.

Its just really sad how far and quickly the Hasbro quality dropped.
The Clone Wars Y-Wing was like my favorite piece of Star Wars merchandise and that was only like 6 years ago and the line was in decline within 3 of that.

TAJ

To actually be to scale with figures the U-Wing would have to be around 4.8 feet for the 3 3/4" figures and 7.6 feet for the 6" ones.
The Kenner/Hasbro vehicles have always been really undersized.
That U-Wing model is 1/100. The scale that the most high-quality Star Wars kits are available at a reasonable price in is probably 1/72. The overall leader is 1/24 but that shit is crazy expensive. It's what most of the hero models used in the OT were built at.
If you had 1/24 scale vehicles you could get any character available in 6" Black Series scale to go with them by taking molds off of figures in shrinkable casting material.

To actually be to scale with figures the U-Wing would have to be around 4.8 feet for the 3 3/4" figures and 7.6 feet for the 6" ones.
The Kenner/Hasbro vehicles have always been really undersized.
That U-Wing model is 1/100. The scale that the most high-quality Star Wars kits are available at a reasonable price in is probably 1/72. The overall leader is 1/24 but that shit is crazy expensive. It's what most of the hero models used in the OT were built at.
If you had 1/24 scale vehicles you could get any character available in 6" Black Series scale to go with them by taking molds off of figures in shrinkable casting material.

Thanks.

I'd have been fine with it if the cockpit was a 2 seater and had the transport are maybe just big enough for 1 character on a gun.

Oh well, I will definitely look at alternatives as I love the ship now.

Yeah one or two sure thing that'll be all.
Lmao pretty much.
I'm already dead aren't I?

Okay so, where do I even start with these?
I've heard the Black Line is the best? How many variations are within it and what's the quality level between them? I really don't want many since its not really my thing, but I wouldn't mind having a couple around as decoration.

I'm also thinking of buying the 6" Han Solo Episode VII figure for my girlfriend since she's a SW geek too, how good are those?

For myself in thinking a nice Kylo Ren figure, what's the best route for that, preferably posable and affordable.

Experien

Lmao pretty much.
I'm already dead aren't I?

Okay so, where do I even start with these?
I've heard the Black Line is the best? How many variations are within it and what's the quality level between them? I really don't want many since its not really my thing, but I wouldn't mind having a couple around as decoration.

I'm also thinking of buying the 6" Han Solo Episode VII figure for my girlfriend since she's a SW geek too, how good are those?

For myself in thinking a nice Kylo Ren figure, what's the best route for that, preferably posable and affordable.

I like Revoltech the best but they are highly selective on what products are made. Black Series is your best bet cause they'll cover just about anything.

So I feel like I've gone down a deep dark road.

I have a Jyn Erso one as well, that's still in the box in my shelf.

Now looking for: Revan, AT-AT driver, Snowtrooper (ESB) and the Scarif Shore trooper (squad leader) (all are black series 6").

Save me if I ever start going down the Hot Toys path haha.

Man i'd be buying so many more figures from Hasbro if their output quantity was at Clone Wars levels.
Every single character from Saw's group.
male and female X-Wing/U-Wing/Y-Wing pilots.
Multiple Scarif Rebels both male and female.

I'd even be fine with 5POA

Any good FX lightsaber out in the market these days? I would love to have a qui Gon FX saber. Too bad they never released it. You think we will get a proper Luke Skywalker saber with the release of swviii? I really hope so current Luke Skywalker saber in the market is bad. The sound is wrong and design is not accurate too.

Any good FX lightsaber out in the market these days? I would love to have a qui Gon FX saber. Too bad they never released it. You think we will get a proper Luke Skywalker saber with the release of swviii? I really hope so current Luke Skywalker saber in the market is bad. The sound is wrong and design is not accurate too.

I feel pretty confident Hasbro is never going to release an accurate thin neck ROTJ Luke saber. If you want one it'll have to be a custom from Saber Forge or Vader's Vault which cost quite a bit ($400-600).

3N16MA

Banned
Just about every big ticket item from Force Friday has been on clearance or had a deep discount.

Legendary Yoda was $50 or less several times, animatronic figures were cleared out for $20 at TRU, Sphero BB-8 could be had for nearly half off, Kylo Ren force Fx saber for sub $90, Vader and Blue Anakin/Luke/Rey saber for less than $120.

I guess it pays to wait.

Also would not get my hopes up for a skinny neck ROTJ Luke saber from Hasbro. They didn't even get the sound right.

I feel pretty confident Hasbro is never going to release an accurate thin neck ROTJ Luke saber. If you want one it'll have to be a custom from Saber Forge or Vader's Vault which cost quite a bit ($400-600).

how are saber forge and ultrasabers? Are they reliable? I know master replicas used to make really good sabers back in the day. I have a darth vader master replicas saber thats more than 10 years old now. Still works as good as day one.

TAJ

Hot Toys ones are beautiful but expensive and big. Also last I looked you had to choose between face and helmet. Face may only be available in quarter scale?

The best overall one (price not weighted) that's not Hot Toys will probably be the Mafex. Not cheap, but not horrifically expensive.

The best not Hot Toys face will probably be the Figuarts unmasked version. There is no helmeted option on that one, though. It's also expensive as shit for the size, over a hundred bucks.

There's a helmeted Figuarts version that's about the same price as the Mafex but I wouldn't consider it with the Mafex coming.

There's a nice Bandai model kit that's a little over half as expensive as the Mafex, but it's going to need paint or tricky decal work on the helmet.

Then there are the Black Series 6" ones. I'm not really happy with either version, masked or unmasked, but they have their fans.

Straight out of the box? The color looks a little creamy and has weathering, particularly on the engines. Every picture I find of this thing online shows flat white plastic.
Is there more than one Revell kit?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5ET70Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfXqVUeJKs
xE3oFXc.jpg

Edit: I found the video that screenshot is from. That is after the owner applied custom weathering.
https://youtu.be/lmgm-r9Si74?t=829

I was sort of interested in this but now that I see it's at 1/89 scale, it's too different from my other Revell ships in scale to look right. I want to hover around 1/50 since I've already got two TIE variants and an Xwing in that range.

TAJ

Shit, maybe not. Sorry. I looked at pics of what I thought was the same person's "after" photo and it looked much more beaten up.
I've bought other stuff from them that had a decent amount of weathering out of the box that I painted over so I thought that was believable.
Didn't know they were from a video either.

Top Bottom