• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

kmz

Neo Member
Looks like the amount of rep needed to get Champion is a little higher than people expected. You'll need 40k total rep to get there. If you had at least a little bit over the limit from the first week, you should still be fine to get there in 3 weeks if you're careful with the min-maxing (using a purple when you're just below the weekly cap).

It's a cool event, really like it, but the rep grind thing has kinda killed my drive to do it. Getting daily coms and lots of creds at least, but meh...

Milly79

RobHinkle said:
Thanks for the ideas! We are actually making some changes to the expertise system and how bolster interacts with the players in an upcoming Game Update (more info on this Update coming VERY soon), and this seems like a reasonable place to reveal some details about it, so buckle up and hold on!

To give everyone a common base of knowledge, let me briefly discuss how bolster and expertise work on the live servers as of right now (Game Update 1.7). Expertise is pretty easy, it is a diminishing returns rating that increases the damage output against other players, gives damage reduction against other players, and increases healing on targets who are in PvP. As you get higher in value of expertise, you need more and more rating to achieve the same increase (hence, the diminishing returns). Expertise only comes on PvP items, but inside PvP expertise is designed to be better bang for your buck than normal "PvE" stats.

The bolster system looks at a player's level and makes an assumption of the stats a player at that level would have and increases them to a target level defined by the designers. Bolster totally ignores what the player ACTUALLY has for stats, it doesn't matter if you are naked or fully geared out, it will give you the same bonuses either way. Notably, bolster will *not* give any expertise stat in Game Update 1.7.

In a major upcoming Game Update, everything changes, woo! Expertise still touches the same 3 functions (damage out, damage in, and healing out), but is no longer is a diminished return value, you get the same increase in power for the same increase in expertise, regardless of going from 0 to 20 or 2000 to 2020. We've also cranked up just how much expertise enhances each of these functions, so having good expertise is more important than ever. Additionally, expertise is no longer a stat that will grow throughout a tier of items, all PvP gear will generate the same total of expertise (caveat: This statement only applies starting with the new gear in the new update. Previous PvP gear will not quite have the fully intended expertise totals).

The bigger change is in how we bolster and add stats to players to even out the playing field. Instead of focusing on player level, now the bolster system will take a look at each individual item on your character and use that as the baseline assumption of power for that item slot. We then bolster each slot up to what we feel is the "entry level" of PvP power, at which we think everyone can be happy playing without getting simply out geared to death. Effectively, we bolster players to something like what our recruit gear set tries to do now in 1.7, but with much better accuracy and effect. Additionally, the bolster system will now grant players expertise when it feels it is necessary, bringing our entry-level power gap even closer to the end-game PvP power.

All of this put together should make our Warzone matches much more about skill in this future game update, and less about people who simply aren't in the correct gear, while still giving our PvPers some better gear out there to strive for.

Thanks for listening!

So 2.0 probably is next content update? Seems to be tied to the expansion since the level cap is and it's mainly level cap increase stuff, but then ROTHC is supposed to be getting a separate test as well. Guess it means there will be a another delay in content perhaps as I can't believe this will all be done in 4 weeks to make the next 6 week content cycle.

Also glad to see them taking away shitty useless abilities from some classes like savage kick.

Achievement Unlocked! : Giving us a credit card
GU0uWcJ.jpg

I like majority of the new armor sets, but almost all the helmets are ugly. Outside the helmets, the new gear looks good, but I usually play with my head slot off. Most SW characters don't wear helmets damnit.

Outside of the helms also the gear looks more subdued and less WoW like. The new agent gear is bad ass. Overall better gear designs than last round we got.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I like majority of the new armor sets, but almost all the helmets are ugly. Outside the helmets, the new gear looks good, but I usually play with my head slot off. Most SW characters don't wear helmets damnit.

Outside of the helms also the gear looks more subdued and less WoW like. The new agent gear is bad ass. Overall better gear designs than last round we got.

I like most of them as well. The agent sets are great. Especially this one:

swtor-firebrand-armor-agent-empire_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the Pub versions. My PTS install is still downloading :/

Heysoos

Looking forward to the Pub versions. My PTS install is still downloading :/

Jesus Christ. Mine too. It was like an 11gig download, so I was like whatever. Came back just as it finished. Installed the first part..... HERE'S 4.9GIGS MORE FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD.

UltraMav

Anybody else unable to log in due to security key issues? Been at school/work all day and finally got home ready to PvP and was saddened greatly. :(

Heysoos

Yeaaaaaaahhhh. Don't go into 55 WZs, I saw a Sage ONE SHOT like 3 players with Force in Balance. I also got hit for 44k. :lol

UltraMav

Ugh, not looking forward to waiting on CS reps again. Once they finally get to you it's great service, but the waiting...

I'm just gonna hit the sack early and hope they have it fixed tomorrow. :p

sooooo..... the new armor sets are fucking hideous.

Minus the helmets, these are some excellent new armor sets.

Jedi with helmets will never look right either, it's not how you imagine them.

*EDIT: ok I take it back since I was only looking at the empire gear which looks good. The pub gear overall looks pretty meh at best

HBroward

So apparently on the PTS once you get in a game you just keep taking your gear off and putting it back on and the bolster keeps stacking. That is why people are getting crazy numbers in pvp. And this is why we have the PTS.

HBroward

Yeah I dropped the ball, I had about 20 more pieces to RE for stabs, I had made about 7 million the last RE run I did. I doubt I'll get half that now.

Zafir

New op is pretty cool, completed it on SM. Mostly easy apart from the puzzle boss which is a bit annoying. Might be because we didn't do it an optimal way though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
New op is pretty cool, completed it on SM. Mostly easy apart from the puzzle boss which is a bit annoying. Might be because we didn't do it an optimal way though.

Yeah, I just did about half of it, up to the droid seller guy. I have to hand it to their Ops team, they have been getting better with each one. The locale for the this one is really great as well, a nice change from all the current zones.

Cystm

Yeah, I just did about half of it, up to the droid seller guy. I have to hand it to their Ops team, they have been getting better with each one. The locale for the this one is really great as well, a nice change from all the current zones.

Does it take place in Mos Eisley?

StudioTan

Does it take place in Mos Eisley?

No, it is a desert but the planet is Darvannis and the theme is more arabian with palm trees and stuff.

Alur

^ For the most part... What the fuck is that inquisitor head piece? HOLY SHIT.

I actually like both of them. /flamesuiton

Also, sadface total:

Assassin: A new ability, Phase Walk, has been added. Phase Walk allows the Assassin to place a mark that can be instantly returned to at a later time, after which Phase Walk goes on cooldown. This ability is usable in stealth mode and trainable at level 51.

Weren't we discussing how this was a sorc/sage buff as well? Or maybe I misread. I know I talked to folks in game who thought this ability was going to be for both shadow and sage...makes me sad. Such a bitchin' ability. Ah well. At least I get some form of immunity I spose.

Alur

So the Czerka Incendia (1800 CC's on the store) mount...what does that sell for on the GTN? I got some extra creds, and if I resub I'd like to grab it but I don't wanna get burnt on it.

Zafir

Yeah I agree. It really surprised me honestly. Wasn't expecting it. The lighting in it really makes it look good as well, imo.

StudioTan

Between 700k-900k~. It is much cheaper to buy from the GTN.

I think I paid about 950k for mine but they seem a bit more expensive on Shadowlands. The silly thing is I could make that money back by getting 4 packs and selling them at 250k each. That basically means I'm getting the mount for 1440 CCs instead of 1800.

Milly79

I think I paid about 950k for mine but they seem a bit more expensive on Shadowlands. The silly thing is I could make that money back by getting 4 packs and selling them at 250k each. That basically means I'm getting the mount for 1440 CCs instead of 1800.

Even packs are down to 200k on JC.

lmpaler

Greetings everyone. I have a question concerning this game. I wish to try it when I get my rig built in about a month. I have heard very mixed things about this game, that is was great, or lame. I single player game with lame MP components etc.

What is the GAF response for someone coming into it? I know it is free now so you have nothing to lose, but I wish to know sort of what to expect. I am hoping it capture that KOTOR magic that drew me to the title to begin with, besides those awesome CG trailers

Greetings everyone. I have a question concerning this game. I wish to try it when I get my rig built in about a month. I have heard very mixed things about this game, that is was great, or lame. I single player game with lame MP components etc.

What is the GAF response for someone coming into it? I know it is free now so you have nothing to lose, but I wish to know sort of what to expect. I am hoping it capture that KOTOR magic that drew me to the title to begin with, besides those awesome CG trailers

Really judging it for yourself will be the only way since opinions on the game are so divided.

Top Bottom