• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Ashodin

I am not going to put a lot of effort into it lol.

But,

I'll make the thread for this.

Even though I'm not playing this as much anymore (continuing to run GW2GAF) I second a thread. Even if people shit it up (as they do most MMO threads), you'll likely get someone interested in trying it again and jumping ship to the community thread here. Do eet!

Yeah, definitely make the thread in Gaming side. I stumbled on the thread Friday night when I accidentally clicked into the Community side. Browsed through the OP and decided to give the game a fair shake. Now I've ordered a 60 day card, joined the guild and will purchase the expansion even though I'm nowhere near 50.

-NeoTB1-

Another +1 to making a thread. I just started playing this again after a short stint at launch. I like what I've seen so far, and it convinced me to subscribe.

Vestal

For those saying its wow in space in regards to game play I would say that is a little off. Thanks to the great pacing and atmosphere in combat particularly in flashpoints. I find most flashpoints alot of fun thanks to that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
let me rephrase

is there anything to do if you don't have the expansion yet and don't have the ability to wear purple gear?

(also does buying the expansion also give you subscription time?)

so is there stuff to do now if you don't have the expansion yet?

The achievement system was added in and its legacy wide and has achievements that unlock cartel coins for your account and titles. Rest is mainly just general game improvements and changes for the game like quality of life stuff. Everything else is tied to the expansion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The achievement system was added in and its legacy wide and has achievements that unlock cartel coins for your account and titles. Rest is mainly just general game improvements and changes for the game like quality of life stuff. Everything else is tied to the expansion.

Can't you also level up to 55 now without the expansion?

Also, too bad the achievements aren't retroactive. I should have gotten a bunch of the companion ones by now. :p

Also, too bad the achievements aren't retroactive. I should have gotten a bunch of the companion ones by now. :p
You can get your XP bar within 1% of 51. Then when the expansion unlocks for you just turn in a mission and get 51.

Some achievements are retroactive. Got over 100 cartel coins when I signed on due to earned achievements.

You can get xp but you can't level to 51 plus until the expansion is unlocked. Your xp bar just is filled and stops.

Wallach

Wow, the new Eradicator's outfit on the Cartel Market is fucking awesome.

Via Reddit:

screenshot2013040914293.jpg

Yeah, after logging onto all my characters and earning like 300-some coins, I bought that shit straight away for my Juggernaut. It's awesome looking, and even if you get tired of it those boots/belt/gloves are going to fit with a lot of mix-and-match styles.

I'm in for this expansion and 1-month sub combo deal.

Yeah, after logging onto all my characters and earning like 300-some coins, I bought that shit straight away for my Juggernaut. It's awesome looking, and even if you get tired of it those boots/belt/gloves are going to fit with a lot of mix-and-match styles.

I'm in for this expansion and 1-month sub combo deal.

So thus "Adaptive Gear"'... does it constantly scale to your level? Of does it only scale on the initial equip? I.E. if I equip at Lvl 12 Jedi Guardian, will it forever be stuck at lvl12 heavy armor stats?

Wallach

So thus "Adaptive Gear"'... does it constantly scale to your level? Of does it only scale on the initial equip? I.E. if I equip at Lvl 12 Jedi Guardian, will it forever be stuck at lvl12 heavy armor stats?

Remember that the armor of gear is tied to the value of the Armoring mod that you equip. The base armor will increase as you level, so you don't have to worry about that, but that value will also get overwritten as soon as you slot an Armoring in it.

Remember that the armor of gear is tied to the value of the Armoring mod that you equip. The base armor will increase as you level, so you don't have to worry about that, but that value will also get overwritten as soon as you slot an Armoring in it.

So I can always swap out the mod with better mods, right?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You're confusing Adaptive Gear with regular orange gear. Both of them are orange so you can take out the mods and constantly update them meaning you can wear orange gear at any level. However, regular orange gear still comes in Light, Medium and Heavy so, for example, if your class wears heavy armor you can still put on light orange gear but it won't have as good armor stats as a heavy piece. Adaptive gear is special in that it will always be the correct armor class, so light, medium and heavy depending on the max you can wear.

Could you elaborate on the new hubs?

Outside your hangar is a terminal that will take you directly to various daily areas. Before you had to have priority transport to black hole and from there you could use the shuttles to go directly to the other daily areas.

It's nice that section x gives you both classic and basic coms. The old daily areas though are gonna become ghost towns I assume in a few weeks. Imagine they did it this way since Section X requires free players to purchase it.

Could you elaborate on the new hubs?

It's easy to miss too, but it's new terminals right outside the instance wall entering your ship hangar. Each of the daily areas also have that terminal added as well so you can jump from daily area to daily area. It also lets you transport directly to Makeb too if you want. The one on fleet looks like part of the wall so lot of people were not seeing it and posting on the forum about it heh.

Yeah, it just costs credits to remove an Armoring that you put in. Or if you don't want to keep the Armoring, you can overwrite an old one with a new one for free but it will destroy the old Armoring.

Just some clarification here, if I say insert a piece of armor with set bonus, say armor rating 150 into a shell, then overroad it with a piece of armoring with armor rating of 160 without set bonus, would that destroy the set bonus, or is the set bonus in the shell while the armor is in the shell so that now the set bonus transfers to the higher rated armor piece?

Just some clarification here, if I say insert a piece of armor with set bonus, say armor rating 150 into a shell, then overroad it with a piece of armoring with armor rating of 160 without set bonus, would that destroy the set bonus, or is the set bonus in the shell while the armor is in the shell so that now the set bonus transfers to the higher rated armor piece?

Set bonuses are attached to the armor piece of the mod, not the shell. So you would erase any set bonuses if you put in armor mod that doesn't have it. They did it this way so people can transfer their set bonuses to any visual style they want instead of forcing them to stick to using the same visual shell.

Draxal

Set bonuses are attached to the armor piece of the mod, not the shell. So you would erase any set bonuses if you put in armor mod that doesn't have it. They did it this way so people can transfer their set bonuses to any visual style they want instead of forcing them to stick to using the same visual shell.

Except for the old rakata/columi/tionese and battlemaster/champion/centurion sets, which might be the source of confusion for an older player that has just returned.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Except for the old rakata/columi/tionese and battlemaster/champion/centurion sets, which might be the source of confusion for an older player that has just returned.

That would be me! I had nearly a full set of rakata gear for my sniper, have a few columi items for the rest. So what's the next step up from Rakata then?

That would be me! I had nearly a full set of rakata gear for my sniper, have a few columi items for the rest. So what's the next step up from Rakata then?

Well Rakata is no longer available, but the upgrade to it would be Black Hole or Campaign gear. The classic coms that you get from pretty much all old end game activities, and many players are going to have some already saved up let you buy Campaign gear.

Any lvl 50 raids and flashpoints now drop black hole gear. Black hole gear is essentially campagin gear but it has no set bonuses.

def sim

Wow, the new Eradicator's outfit on the Cartel Market is fucking awesome.

Via Reddit:

screenshot2013040914293.jpg

I'm thinking of buying this when my free cartel coins come in for the month and sell it on GTN. Hopefully it's selling around a million or so; leveling up and buying armor mods is super expensive. :/

Slayerx

Yeah, really nice OP :) I am scared to post on gaming side and all mmos get beaten into a pulp on there anyway, don't think I will be visiting that thread ever again. Haven't tried SWTOR yet but is it worth playing just for 1-50 alone? What would be the closest class to druid from WoW in terms of gameplay?

I'm thinking of buying this when my free cartel coins come in for the month and sell it on GTN. Hopefully it's selling around a million or so; leveling up and buying armor mods is super expensive. :/

Unless they take it off the cartel market, I doubt it's going to reach that much in credit value.

Yeah, really nice OP :) I am scared to post on gaming side and all mmos get beaten into a pulp on there anyway, don't think I will be visiting that thread ever again. Haven't tried SWTOR yet but is it worth playing just for 1-50 alone? What would be the closest class to druid from WoW in terms of gameplay?
It's worth trying it F2P to go through all of the class stories. If you want to do anything else you're better off subbing.

I can't think of a good class that's like a Druid off the top of my head. It depends on what you're looking for from a certain class.

Wallach

The closest thing to a Druid would probably be an Operative/Scoundrel, only because they can heal and DPS and are the only class with stealth. One of their main heals is also a 2-stack HoT. The comparisons are thin, but everything else seems even more of a stretch.

fenners

Okay, thanks. I will try scoundrel. Haven't finished downloading yet but what is the best server to pick (oceanic/us)?

Jedi Covenant, presuming you want PvsE. It's well worth buying a one month sub at least for the extra XP & just general quality of life.

Mordeccai

Okay, thanks. I will try scoundrel. Haven't finished downloading yet but what is the best server to pick (oceanic/us)?

I love healing on my scoundrel end game. Was a bit of a pain to level though, mostly qued up for flashpoints and abused my "non-damage" standing for some quicker que times. Never needed help on any of my class quests as a healer though as long as I kept my companions geared decently well. I too was looking for a druid like class as that was my main in WoW for years and while the classes aren't too similar, the healing is HoT based, which felt right at home.

Plus, you get disappearing act, which is just great. Mob pulls you off your speeder? Pull a high level group? Disappear! Non stealth classes actually have to go through with the fight... peasants :p

The mask for the Eradicator's Warsuit is coming in 2.1. I think it's safe to assume it'll be in the next cartel pack.

EDIT: Looks like they clarified it. It won't be in a cartel pack but sold seperately for less than 500 cartel coins.

Wallach

The mask for the Eradicator's Warsuit is coming in 2.1. I think it's safe to assume it'll be in the next cartel pack.

EDIT: Looks like they clarified it. It won't be in a cartel pack but sold seperately for less than 500 cartel coins.

Yeah I saw that too. Will definitely have to grab that to finish my set. Kinda wish the metal parts of the set were a bit more metallic/grey like the cinematic but it's still the best looking set I've put on my Juggernaut.

Heysoos

I want to buy the set.... but I can already see so many people wearing it. I remember always getting whispers about my Sentinel and his white robe look. Then it became so common. :(

kmz

Neo Member
Holy shit. And they all went down at around the same time too. Weird. Timestamp overflow issue of some sort? DDoS?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would guess Bioware incompetence before anything else, based on the fact that they fuckin broke the game for a bunch of folks the patch before 2.0.

Also I hate that there were finally Artifact authorizations I could afford, but by the time I got the credits to buy them, the only ones on GTN were priced above the preferred player credit cap. (How stupid is that?)

Top Bottom