• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

MaddenNFL64

Just a reminder to F2P folks, you can buy the unlocks off the GTN without paying a dime of real money. Many things are within the credit limit for F2P so you can buy it. You can also trade crafting items to match something expensive. Yes, you will have to barter like it's 1199.

Wallach

I'm excited to finally play the expansion content. I still don't know what class I'm going in with first. Kinda tilting towards my Jugg.

I'm definitely going with my Juggernaut first. He has all of his legacy stuff unlocked (except HK which I'm going to do right after I finish Makeb) so he'll level the fastest and the most conveniently, plus the changes to the class make me feel most satisfied actually playing it out of all my characters (Juggernaut, Powertech, Scoundrel, Sniper, Operative). Saber Reflect is such a perfect skill to gain for an Immortal spec, and you get 2 extra seconds on it to boot. It's definitely the character I want to PvP on the most at this point so hitting the cap on him first made the choice even easier.

Edit - Guess the servers are already up, I'm off.

Effect

Curious how has the population been? Better (less frustrating) to subscribe off and on then deal with the free to play tiers?

Curious how has the population been? Better (less frustrating) to subscribe off and on then deal with the free to play tiers?
All the servers have been Very Heavy to Full pretty frequently. Tons of people on every planet and the Fleets are packed.

You can make the F2P tiers work by buying unlocks off the GTN using credits. Though it's recommended to subscribe if you're looking to do everything.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Htown's Tips for Being a Cheapass Non-Sub at SWTOR

1. Most unlocks can be gotten from the GTN for less than the free/premium credit cap, including crew skill slots, server slots, inventory space, legacy unlocks, etc. Before you buy an unlock, make sure there isn't a more expensive (but still affordable) "Account" version of the unlock, which can apply to all of your characters.

2. Buying Speeder Piloting II (for increased speed) from the class trainer is a waste of money. If you save up like 20,000 extra credits you can buy a Speeder piloting III from the GTN. Don't buy a speeder from the speeder vendor either. You can get a mount that auto-levels with your speeder piloting skill for between 8k and 20k on the GTN.

3. Don't bother with weekly passes until you're at the level cap. Run a maximum of one flashpoint and two warzones per day to maximize your rewards.

4. Don't buy a third crew skill. It'll be much easier on your character's wallet if you just buy the necessary crafting components as needed from the GTN, at least until you get towards the cap. Of course, it's cheaper not to bother with crafting at all, but certain skills are decent for making money on the GTN.

5. Bioware doesn't want you to use the mail system as a free player, which makes it hard to transfer money between characters. The way around this is to have the character to whom you want to transfer credits put up a cheap green item on the GTN for the amount you want to transfer (which should be way way more than it's worth), then have your rich character buy it.

6. Don't buy gear from the GTN, as you'll be outleveling it soon. One exception is for new companions, which will join you with entirely empty slots. If you want to use them immediately, buy a cheap green piece of equipment to go in the slot.

7. At some point, you are going to have to spend money on the game if you want to have any fun at the level cap. My recommendation at this point is to either buy the expansion, or spend 5 bucks on cartel points and get some stuff from the cartel market. Either of these will lift you to premium status, which will raise your credit cap from 200k to 350k and give you access to a cargo hold (bank). Once you get up to 350k credits, you'll want to look on the GTN for an Artifact Equipment Authorization. This will allow you to equip purple gear, which you'll need to progress at the cap. You may have to check back from time to time in order to find an AEA you can afford, because some people like to be dumbasses and list the authorizations for more than the credit cap.

Rokam

3. Don't bother with weekly passes until you're at the level cap. Run a maximum of one flashpoint and two warzones per day to maximize your rewards.

Aren't these restricted? 3 rewards from flashpoints per week and only 5 warzones per week.

Aren't these restricted? 3 rewards from flashpoints per week and only 5 warzones per week.
Yes. The PvP daily is play two warzones and you're done. Winning your first warzone will finish that daily as it will count has having played two.

The flashpoint daily is pretty much straightforward. Finish whatever flashpoint the mission tells you to do and turn it in.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Damn, just went to log in and I was placed in a queue. It was only for about 10 seconds but still. 6 of the 8 US servers are full have a 5-20min queue at the moment. The other 2 are Very Heavy.

EDIT: 30 instances of Makeb on Shadowlands.

Damn, just went to log in and I was placed in a queue. It was only for about 10 seconds but still. 6 of the 8 US servers are full have a 5-20min queue at the moment. The other 2 are Very Heavy.

EDIT: 30 instances of Makeb on Shadowlands.
32 on Harbinger. lol

Kinda crazy to be seeing that many.

RoKKeR

I have this unexplainable urge to play this game. Never have, and I've never really gotten into MMO's before.

If I just want to burn through the story, what are some suggestions going in?

Makeb chat has been one of the worst things ever. It's like I stepped into barrens in WoW

With each instance being about 100 players across both factions, so yea that's alot of people in one area.
Yeah it's been pretty bad so far. Pretty much it's just people talking about the SGR options and how it may or may not ruin the game for them.
I really like how dailies give a ton of experience.
It really helps out during the leveling process. Might be why these levels are zooming by quickly.
I have this unexplainable urge to play this game. Never have, and I've never really gotten into MMO's before.

If I just want to burn through the story, what are some suggestions going in?
If you just want to burn through the story content then just stick to the planet missions and don't bother with flashpoints or warzones. As you do those missions you'll be getting XP boosts to use which will help a lot.

That's pretty much all the advice I can offer you. I'm sure others will chime in to add their suggestions.

Slayerx

Finally got a chance to play. Got to level 8 on Smuggler, I am enjoying this quite a bit despite some very minor annoyances. I kind of regret rejecting the game when it came out and not playing around with some of my friends who got it during release, oh well.

I've been trying to buy a 1 month sub the whole day but it won't sent me the verification e-mail. Even the worst company in America doesn't want my money :(

Additional F2P/Preff tips.

1. Become preffered! The 200k v 350k difference is huge when buying account wide unlocks.

2. Account wide unlocks can be bought on any server and applied to your main on the server of your choosing.

3. Create a toon on these 3 servers: Harbinger, Jedi Covenant and The Shadowlands and get them to the fleet. You should get there with 4-6k, easily enough to make your fortune. The RP servers are too low on population, the pvp servers somewhere in between, the euro servers are far too expensive and the APAC ones are dead. The aforementioned 3 servers are more than enough.

4. How to make money flipping on the GTN and what to buy:

- Artifact/purple (prototype) armor pieces from about L10 - L45. Frequently on sale for 4-6k, easily resalable for 25k-45k. Don't touch belts and bracers, but the rest with the installed mods are great profit.

- Artifact/purple Mods from L15-L45. Again people throw the dropped ones on the market for 4kish and depending on level resell at 15-25k.

- Artifact/purple Treasure Hunting/Slicing and Underworld Trading mats. Look for large miss priced stacks. Don't buy fabrics from underworld trading only metals, the fabrics are 1 step above junk.

- Crafting Missions from Treasure Hunting/Underworld and Slicing. Look for purples at about 4k. Big profit potential for Underworld and Slicing, the Treasure hunting market has dropped a lot but still some potential.

- Schematics. Lots of options here! First look for L21 implant schematics, default price is 1kish will sell all day for 12-15k. Mid level Augment schematics from about 6-19, frequently on sale for sub 1k, again 15k all day resale. Armormech/synthweaving custom/orange glove and boot schematics. First the lower the level the better, no one buys or wants L50 schematics. Buy low 1k, resale 12-20k all day. And now the real bankers, belt and bracer orange schematics. On sale for as low as 5cr and depending on the level 70k-150k resale! Even the L50 belt and bracers schematics can resell for 20k.

- Other mats: Rubats, aluminium, laminoid and genetic anomaly for low level mats are all surprising valuable. You could just run scavenging/arch or bioanalysis missions and make a lot of cash.

5. First step is to get a 10-slot GTN increase as F2P only have 2 slots, preff 5. Once you can list more items at once you'll be surprised how quickly you hit the credit limit. Then buy all the account wide unlocks you want even just checking once or twice a day!

RickD

I've only just started playing this about a week ago, but enjoying it so far.

One question though. Is it possible to change my trooper from a Vanguard to commando?

I don't really fancy re-leveling through the same content. I was hoping there would be a system similar to WOW, where you can swap specs whenever you want

Wallach

Anyone get a lot of stuttering on that sort of "home base" area of Makeb? The ring level where all the trainers and stuff are. It's worse than the fleet for me.

Edit - Imperial side, I have no idea what the Republic one looks like.

I've only just started playing this about a week ago, but enjoying it so far.

One question though. Is it possible to change my trooper from a Vanguard to commando?

I don't really fancy re-leveling through the same content. I was hoping there would be a system similar to WOW, where you can swap specs whenever you want

They plan to implement a spec swap feature in the future, but what you are talking of is switching your advanced class, which is not going to happen.

Yeah it's been pretty bad so far. Pretty much it's just people talking about the SGR options and how it may or may not ruin the game for them.

Yea most of the chat on Makeb is trolling and arguments about the SGR stuff. Some really disgusting stuff being said, so much bigotry

Draxal

Yea most of the chat on Makeb is trolling and arguments about the SGR stuff. Some really disgusting stuff being said, so much bigotry

No offense, but I think it's the faction you plays has those arguments (Imps do seem to attract the assholes). I didn't see it at all on republic side on Makeb, although to be fair I've mainly been leveling doing dailies on the older planets right now. Studiotan could probably tell if it's worse than I thought it was on rep side though on Shadowlands.

theta11

I'd really like to get back into this game but I really hate the server where my characters are. But with 5 level 50s and a max level legacy I really don't feel like starting over from scratch. Is there any indication that server transfers paid or free are coming at all?

RickD

Are the armour sets on the cartel market worth buying? rather than having to change gear all the time when leveling?
Don't they automatically scale with you as you level?

Where is the best place to get weapons?

One difference i am finding with TOR vs WOW is the amount of information available. Like if i wanted a certain weapon I can find out where to get it online, before venturing off to get it in game. Doesn't seem to be the case with TOR, unless I'm not looking in the right place. And on that point Is there a good source for that in TOR?

Are the armour sets on the cartel market worth buying? rather than having to change gear all the time when leveling?
Don't they automatically scale with you as you level?

Where is the best place to get weapons?

One difference i am finding with TOR vs WOW is the amount of information available. Like if i wanted a certain weapon I can find out where to get it online, before venturing off to get it in game. Doesn't seem to be the case with TOR, unless I'm not looking in the right place. And on that point Is there a good source for that in TOR?

Gear on the cartel market is like orange gear, it's just a shell that you can customize with mods you can aquire through quests, craft, or buy. Only unique thing is that it's adaptive gear meaning that it adapts to whatever armor class you wear. If you wear light armor, then it turns into light armor for example. Wear heavy armor, then it counts as heavy armor.

If your just leveling through the game, weapons are available all over the place. Quest rewards, crafting, buy them off the auction house, alignment vendors, buy them with your planetary coms, and each planet usually has generic weapon vendors as well. At end game it's basically your specific class vendor found in the supplies area of the fleet to get ahold of the high end end game gear.

If your looking where to get a specific piece of gear, that sort of doesn't exists as there are almost no specific drops tied to certain zones, bosses, etc. It's generally just general random drops for most gear tied to the level of the enemy. It's not like WoW where you would find out a specific boss mob has a chance to drop a specific type of dagger.

Cystm

Torhead Is your Wowhead sister site.

Noxxic Is your Solo Mid equivilant.

Darth Hater is your closest thing to MMO Champion.

Duly.net Is better than DH, but not specific to TOR.

There was an Elitest Jerks equivalent, but they merged into this other website but their theorycrafting is outdated.

I'd really like to get back into this game but I really hate the server where my characters are. But with 5 level 50s and a max level legacy I really don't feel like starting over from scratch. Is there any indication that server transfers paid or free are coming at all?

They said soon after 2.0

How soon that is, we don't really know.

Anyone get a lot of stuttering on that sort of "home base" area of Makeb? The ring level where all the trainers and stuff are. It's worse than the fleet for me.

Edit - Imperial side, I have no idea what the Republic one looks like.
It does stutter a bit for me there. It was mainly there and the first area that I had any problems with but the other areas run pretty good.

Azih

There's a new 5% bump to xp for being in a guild now? Looking for a casual Imperial guild on Jedi Covenant then. I pretty much solo the game and don't really care for raiding or PVP or anything like that.

LowerLevel

There's a new 5% bump to xp for being in a guild now? Looking for a casual Imperial guild on Jedi Covenant then. I pretty much solo the game and don't really care for raiding or PVP or anything like that.

http://l-et.shivtr.com/

I'm a part of this guild. Pretty good people overall but has had some chat drama since the ftp came in. They are casual however and the absolute most are really friendly. A small few seem to be from GameFAQS or something though, a lot of rage quitting recently...

I asked if there was a GAF guild on Imp side earlier as it is easier to build camaraderie with a set group IMO. But these guys are pretty good too.

Cystm

http://l-et.shivtr.com/

I'm a part of this guild. Pretty good people overall but has had some chat drama since the ftp came in. They are casual however and the absolute most are really friendly. A small few seem to be from GameFAQS or something though, a lot of rage quitting recently...

I asked if there was a GAF guild on Imp side earlier as it is easier to build camaraderie with a set group IMO. But these guys are pretty good too.

IMP GAF is basically 1 person on at any given time strictly to get the 5% bonus.

Most of GAF is actively on the Republic.

Jbird34

IMP GAF is basically 1 person on at any given time strictly to get the 5% bonus.

Most of GAF is actively on the Republic.

Every time I log into GAF Empire I am the only one on, sucks I can't self invite my alts for the exp bonus.

Jbird34

Hobi is the gleader. I don't think I have officer privelages on Imp GAF to invite your alts or I would right now.

I'm at work right now so it's not a big deal, I will worry about it later when I finish Makeb on my Knight and hit 55.

Patch tonight to fix (or try to fix) the bolster mechanic.

Also they're removing expertise from War Hero and Elite War Hero gear except for the crystals. Don't know why they're doing that.

2.0.0b Patch Notes
4/16/2013

Crew Skills
Artifice
Reverse Engineering certain color crystals will no longer provide an error message.
Advanced Crew Skill training is no longer required to Reverse Engineer color crystals of any type.

PvP
Note: For more details about these changes, please visit this post.

The effect of Bolster on empty item slots has been decreased.
Due to itemization changes, Expertise has been removed from all War Hero and Elite War Hero pieces except for weapon crystals.

theta11

They said soon after 2.0

How soon that is, we don't really know.

Thanks for the info! I'll stay subscribed here and keep checking back. I really hope that they really do it in a timely fashion. I really dislike playing on PVP servers and only played because a friend was there. (Just a personal preference but I find communities on PVP servers in MMOs to be one of the least friendly places in gaming though I did meet some longtime friends on PVP servers.)

Osiyo from the GAF guild here. Re-subscribed last night for the expansion. Looking forward to getting up to lvl 55 and playing with you all again--I'm so glad there's still a thriving guild to come home to!

Wallach

Patch tonight to fix (or try to fix) the bolster mechanic.

Also they're removing expertise from War Hero and Elite War Hero gear except for the crystals. Don't know why they're doing that.

They're taking the expertise off because the bolster mechanic doesn't work the same in the pre-55 brackets and it makes your character worse than equivalent PvE gear that is itemized without it. Hopefully they at least normalize the stats on it so those people can level in it as if it were actually equivalent level PvE gear so they get something in return.

Jbird34

Osiyo from the GAF guild here. Re-subscribed last night for the expansion. Looking forward to getting up to lvl 55 and playing with you all again--I'm so glad there's still a thriving guild to come home to!

Welcome back dude! Saw you online this morning before I headed to work, just came back to the game myself.

Heysoos

They're taking the expertise off because the bolster mechanic doesn't work the same in the pre-55 brackets and it makes your character worse than equivalent PvE gear that is itemized without it. Hopefully they at least normalize the stats on it so those people can level in it as if it were actually equivalent level PvE gear so they get something in return.

wait wait wait. Does that mean I am completely fucked for 55 Warzones? I only have EWH/WH.

Are Snipers the new flavor of the month? I raided on one up to when MoP when came out..

Pretty much, deadly as fuck.

Mordeccai

This is funny because I actually just rolled a sniper tonight and got him to level 10. Marksman looks pretty awesome. But damn if I'm not getting alt's disease, I now have a 50 scoundrel, 35 powertech, 30 marauder and 10 sniper. My mains credit supply is being stretched thin!

Heysoos

3 hours later and still cant buy a fucking win, this dumbass still doesnt understand that recruit gear isnt fucking helping him and this game is still broken as fuck. Jesus fuck what did they do to pvp

Are Snipers the new flavor of the month? I raided on one up to when MoP came out..
Sadly yes, it upsets me mostly because I've been a sniper pretty much since launch. Most of these new guys are terrible.

Although I just got owned by a gunslinger in huttball today. I was actually tempted to create a pub character to give props.

Thankfully I got my second sniper up to 50ish very quickly, even without double xp. There is onyl one other sniper in my guild right now so pretty much all that gear is mine.

My RP server sniper is sad. :(

Top Bottom