• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

I still don't understand why they haven't removed the whole Ranked Warzone season stuff from the Warzone pane. It's been in pre-season for a year now. Might as well just remove that stuff from it since it doesn't look like it's ever going to actually happen.

Sorian

Banned
Dude, Battlemonkey has been one of the most positive backers of this game. Like it or not his complaints are valid, and it was all about improving the game.

And I think they butchered how they handled this mini xp the end game is beyond pathetic now, and it's not 1999 anymore or 2007. They ran into this problem when the base game launched (they didn't expect people to hit 50 so fast), it's kinda stupid that they ran into that same exact problem again.

So, what's the problem now? They didn't expect people to hit 55 so fast? You can't honestly be telling me that they didn't expect us to gain 5 levels in a fairly quick manner? Again, I completely agree with PvP getting the short end of the stick this entire time and thats really my only complaint. As far as everything else, how is the end game "beyond pathetic?" In the PvE realm, there are 4 dungeons and 4 raids dropping gear for level 55s then a weekly asking you to do one of the classic raids which takes all of a half hour every week but is still there. I'm just confused as to what you want on that side of things, a new raid and gear tier every patch? The flashpoint number did decrease but thats what happens with an expansion. The old stuff becomes obsolete and I don't expect them to make enough to replace everything all at once under a deadline because that is how you get sub-par crap.

I'm honestly confused as hell. Playing my shadow infiltrator, trying to figure out how to pvp properly. Some people are saying to get pve gear. When I last played was at 50, and pvp gear was king for pvp. I just hit 55 and I'm doing quests for basic commendations currently.

So I guess my question is this:

1. Is pvp gear worth getting for pvp?

2. Is infiltrator viable? Like can I expect to kill a healer with a lucky string of crits?

3. If I wanted to build up surge rating, how should I go about modifying my gear and where would I obtain the mods?

Sorian

Banned
I'm honestly confused as hell. Playing my shadow infiltrator, trying to figure out how to pvp properly. Some people are saying to get pve gear. When I last played was at 50, and pvp gear was king for pvp. I just hit 55 and I'm doing quests for basic commendations currently.

So I guess my question is this:

1. Is pvp gear worth getting for pvp?

2. Is infiltrator viable? Like can I expect to kill a healer with a lucky string of crits?

3. If I wanted to build up surge rating, how should I go about modifying my gear and where would I obtain the mods?

I don't know anything about shadows so I can't answer your class specific questions but I can answer the gear questions. With the new bolster system they put into place, they made it so that PvE gear is now perfectly viable in warzones (you automatically get expertise similar to if you were wearing a full set of PvP stuff). If it worked as intended, someone in PvE gear would be viable in warzones no problem and those wearing PvP gear would have a slight advantage in terms of stats. The system is currently subpar, however, and there are many exploits taking advantage of the way the bolster system works that are being fixed as they go along. I know two that were working but now have fixes to them were playing pvp naked except for main hand and ear piece or augmenting all yoor gear but putting in the weakest possible augments.

HBroward

You can only really afford to have a couple of pve pieces in my opinion. The main and offhand 72's are the sweet spot as a dps. You still get 1860 expertise in full conq gear for the other slots, but end up with a much higher primary damage. If you roll full 69-72 pve gear, you only have like 1300-1400 expertise, and are going to have a pretty bad time. As a healer it is really hard to keep someone alive who has that little expertise. On my healer I just use full pvp gear, I don't like the trade-offs you have to make on it. You need all the damage reduction you can get with people focusing you all the time.

Zafir

PVP gear with PVE mainhand(66 hilt, 63 mods) is pretty much optimal I think.

@HBroward - 72's really aren't. I've tried out all combinations, and I only gain 5 pri dmg from 72 hilt mainhand from what you get with a 66 hilt. Force power gets bolstered up to 72 level, so pvp offhand is better. You get around 1992 expertise iirc then.

Milly79

Infil shadow offers some of the most burst in the game and the sustained is nothing to laugh at. It's a powerful spec and I would say borderline broken.

HBroward

PVP gear with PVE mainhand(66 hilt, 63 mods) is pretty much optimal I think.

@HBroward - 72's really aren't. I've tried out all combinations, and I only gain 5 pri dmg from 72 hilt mainhand from what you get with a 66 hilt. Force power gets bolstered up to 72 level, so pvp offhand is better. You get around 1992 expertise iirc then.

Thanks, that's good to know!

smr00

Banned
What class would have an easier time soloing to max level? Bounty Hunter? Sith Inquisitor Or Sith Warrior? I got all 3 to 25 and can't decide who i would rather focus on to hit the cap first. I enjoy all of them equally but would rather just focus on 1 class and hit the cap with that class.

I went BH/Merch, Warrior/Maurader and Inquisitor/Sorc

Sorian

Banned
What class would have an easier time soloing to max level? Bounty Hunter? Sith Inquisitor Or Sith Warrior? I got all 3 to 25 and can't decide who i would rather focus on to hit the cap first. I enjoy all of them equally but would rather just focus on 1 class and hit the cap with that class.

I find the Sorc to be the most fun to play, if story is being factored into your equation at all tho, then go Mara. They are still fun as well and their story is actually good unlike the Sorc.

And don't think I don't like the Merc as well, I'm actually leveling mine right now and having a blast but the above is what I'd say if I had to choose

Thanks for the advice, I'm just starting out so I suppose I'll get the warzone stalker set + basic commendation pve saber, and then assemble a tank set for pve. Kind of sucks because I already bought the pvp saber but I need honored with makeb before I can get that basic saber.

It's pretty confusing, back when I played you just wore the pvp battlemaster gear and you were good to go.

smr00

Banned
I find the Sorc to be the most fun to play, if story is being factored into your equation at all tho, then go Mara. They are still fun as well and their story is actually good unlike the Sorc.

And don't think I don't like the Merc as well, I'm actually leveling mine right now and having a blast but the above is what I'd say if I had to choose
Any tips on rotation/skills?

Sorian

Banned
Any tips on rotation/skills?

For which? I'm much more skilled with sorcs so I'll just answer for those. Lightning tree is your best friend, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't throw any points into the other trees until you have the character in the 50s and you are starting to respec for min/maxing during fps and ops. Always keep crushing darkness and affliction up when you can then your core set of moves will be shock, lightning strike, thundering blast (last skill in lightning tree), chain lightning (middle of lightning tree skill), and force lightning. Along the lightning tree you will find skills that cause thundering blast to always be a critical hit, chain lightning to be an instant cast, and force lightning to have a channel time cut in half but still do the same damage. As you learn these procs/skills from the tree just work them into the rotation (for example the auto-crit on thundering blast only works if affliction is on the enemy which is why i say to always have it up when possible).

It's an easy character to play but it makes you feel really powerful. Also, lightning storm until the proc for instant chain lightning decimates normal mobs.

Rokam

So I remember seeing a gearing graphic posted in this thread for when you're approaching max level. I'm 52 currently haven't touched Makeb yet, just been running dailies had a lot of rested experience stored up. So just wanting to know what the order is as far as gearing. Mainly where does regular and hardmode FP gear factor in.

So their new armor thing they teased for 2.2 is apparently animated stuff on the armor. Hopefully they really don't go nuts with this like wow did.

So I remember seeing a gearing graphic posted in this thread for when you're approaching max level. I'm 52 currently haven't touched Makeb yet, just been running dailies had a lot of rested experience stored up. So just wanting to know what the order is as far as gearing. Mainly where does regular and hardmode FP gear factor in.

Well you can use classic coms to buy your lvl 50 starter gear which is very helpful for makeb and the hard mode content. You can also use planetary coms to buy from the makeb planetary vendor equipment mods that essentially let you make similar quality gear. You can also easily do the lvl 50 ops with this gear.

With that stuff you can do the lvl 50 hardmodes which give you basic coms. Section X, all Makeb missions and their dailies, GSI dailies, and the HM Space missions all give you basic coms too. Basic coms get you the gear you will need to take on the lvl 55 hard mode content effectively as well as starting the two higher tier ops.

Those are the two starting points you will likely be working around, you can kinda skip now lot of the lvl 50 stuff though it does get you basic coms to do the 55 stuff. After that you will go through gearing up with the elite equipment and eventually the ultimate equip which are mainly the high end raid stuff only.

Moff

I am really displeased with their content schedule for the next months
I was always a hardcore supporter of this game, I only unsubbed for 1 month when I caught up to pandaria last january.
but I really dont see why I should continue to sub to this game.

I just dont see nearly enough content for the amount of money they receive from both subs as well as CM items. I just feel they go they easy way and add mostly new cartel market stuff, which seems to generate money at almost no expense. I feel ripped off.
This is especially bad because I actually still like the game, I think its decent MMO and for a star wars fan like me its very enjoyable. but with almost no new content? new flashpoints in august and new pvp stuff even after that? How can I support this witthout feeling like a fool?
I refuse to call those new operation difficultues new content. I am really not happy with this.

preferred is not an option for me either, I have lots of characters and lots of gold, the limitations would make the game unplayable for me.

mileS

I still don't have a max level (highest level 42) played the game a bit at launch, came back for a month or two, quit again, back again now for the last month. That being said I can't really speak much on the content problem because theres still so much for me to see. But comparing it to what you get for paying in WoW? yea this game completely owns it.

Loris146

Guys i have a problem with this game.

My PC's specs are :

I5 3570k
GTX 670 Windforce 3x
8 gb ram
Asrock z77 pro 4

I have huge frame drop in Swtor and the gpu's usage is very very low even when i have low fps. For example FPS 28 GPU Usage 18%

I don't know why. I have clean all driver (with driver fusion and ccleaner) , install new driver, reinstall the game but nothing, i'm still having the same problem.

I have this problem only on Swtor. For example i play Alan wake very good with 60 fps all the time and the gpu usage is very high.

Someone can help me? ( sorry for bad english but i'm italian xD).

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

BH/Merc. Having your first companion be your healer along with being able to heal yourself easily puts the game on easy mode. Trash just dies, and while bosses take longer, you'll wear them down before you get into any real trouble.

The Sorceror is good at killing bosses, though... you still get healing even if you dump everything in Lightning or Madness. Crits are crits in this game. Same goes for BH, above. Your healer doesn't come for ages, so you need to be judicious about pulling in any extra trash or passers-by when you're generating a ton of lightning effects.

The Marauder used to have some really tough fights. Haven't touched mine in over a year, so they may have made some changes from 1.2~2.x to make things less "oh, wow, there is no challenge in this" and a minute later "OH MY GOD, I HATE THIS GAME, WHY ARE THEY SO MEAN". Annihilation was definitely a lot easier to live with than Carnage. You get a healer early, but the pet healers cannot keep up with damage spikes. They just fire off their crap in whatever order it's in. It's definitely worth considering going bio if you're going to bother with a profession, as the stims and medpacks are helpful.

Not feeling the pvp at 55. I can't kill most people or healers because they get chained heal, even with full burst combo and crits I do 1/3rd their health at best. I've been upgrading my gear (have 4 pvp pieces so far, and I'm slotting makeb commendation enhancements in prototype armor, gearing toward power/surge) and there hasn't been any noticeable differences yet.

Honestly this game is infinitely more fun as ranged. The amount of knockbacks and roots I have to deal with is absurd as melee, and they don't fill the resolve meter at all. I kind of wish they'd do a massive combat overhaul and selectively give out cc and stuns, the whole everyone gets knockbacks/stuns isn't doing it.

kms_md

BH/Merc. Having your first companion be your healer along with being able to heal yourself easily puts the game on easy mode. Trash just dies, and while bosses take longer, you'll wear them down before you get into any real trouble.

The Sorceror is good at killing bosses, though... you still get healing even if you dump everything in Lightning or Madness. Crits are crits in this game. Same goes for BH, above. Your healer doesn't come for ages, so you need to be judicious about pulling in any extra trash or passers-by when you're generating a ton of lightning effects.

The Marauder used to have some really tough fights. Haven't touched mine in over a year, so they may have made some changes from 1.2~2.x to make things less "oh, wow, there is no challenge in this" and a minute later "OH MY GOD, I HATE THIS GAME, WHY ARE THEY SO MEAN". Annihilation was definitely a lot easier to live with than Carnage. You get a healer early, but the pet healers cannot keep up with damage spikes. They just fire off their crap in whatever order it's in. It's definitely worth considering going bio if you're going to bother with a profession, as the stims and medpacks are helpful.

marauder can be tough unless you are comfortable with the rotation of skills. you do get a healer relatively early in your storyline, but it is not difficult to find yourself overwhelmed depending on the mob you pull.

i would recommend PT - especially pyro. you get a healer early and you get death from above early. you can breeze through most mobs without difficulty. EDIT - just saw that you are a merc. pyro works for merc as well :)

i have not played sorcer, but leveled a sage healer. i basically used my first companion (who is analogous to the sorcerer's first companion) the whole way through and had no problems as long as he was geared to level.

WorldStar

Banned
Hi all,

My friend is trying to get me into this game. What class is a good starting class? He plays on the Harbringer which I believe is PvE? I have 0 experience playing this game. I asked him for a class recommendation and he said "idk maybe sith marauder."

Thanks!

Hi all,

My friend is trying to get me into this game. What class is a good starting class? He plays on the Harbringer which I believe is PvE? I have 0 experience playing this game. I asked him for a class recommendation and he said "idk maybe sith marauder."

Thanks!
I'd echo his suggestion and say Sith Marauder. They're one of two advanced classes for the Sith Warrior. It's a pure damage dealer class which is good for those new to the game and one of the best DPS classes in the game next to the Sniper/Gunslinger.

Giolon

Hi all,

Thanks!

I'd echo his suggestion and say Sith Marauder. They're one of two advanced classes for the Sith Warrior. It's a pure damage dealer class which is good for those new to the game and one of the best DPS classes in the game next to the Sniper/Gunslinger.

Marauders (Sentinels) I find to be one of the more fragile classes in the game, with little in the way of "oh shit" buttons to save themselves. While it is the DPS class I have the most fun playing, I'd actually say it's not the easiest to solo with. Your only option is really kill-faster or die until you get Awe @ 42.

My recommendation is to start out with Bounty Hunter and go Mercenary. It's still a fantastic DPS class, your healer companion is the first one you get (<3 Mako forever), and you can toss some heals yourself if necessary.

If you're looking for GAF people on Harbinger, it's where I play, though primarily on the Republic side. My main is Da'ru (55 Sage) and I've got a couple of active Republic alts, Sefi (55 Gunslinger) and Tyrena (42 Sentinel) and one Empire char, Dexii (55 Operative). Feel free to drop me a line.

Draxal

I have no idea what you're talking about. Sent/Rauder get arguably the best DF CDs in the game.

Aren't the good sent/rauder cd's later in the leveling process?

Best long term df cd in leveling pve is a long time cc; which is what I think he meant to imply. But yeah, I think merc is the easiest class to level. Really simple rotation as arsenal, plus early healer + long time cc = easy mode.

However, class you will have fun the most endgame now is Gunslinger/Sniper.

Milly79

Aren't the good sent/rauder cd's later in the leveling process?

Best long term df cd in leveling pve is a long time cc; which is what I think he meant to imply. But yeah, I think merc is the easiest class to level. Really simple rotation as arsenal, plus early healer + long time cc = easy mode.

However, class you will have fun the most endgame now is Gunslinger/Sniper.

Saber Ward is early on.
Cloak of Pain/rebuke is level 10.
Force camo is 30.
Undying is 40~.

Disable droid, force choke/stasis, intim roar/awe and obfuscate/pacify. Yeah, they're really well off for a melee class.

I think a mara has a bit more survivability than jugg in vigilance or rage. Rebuke/Cloak of Pain more than makes up for the lack of heavy armor.

Zafir

Oh yeah, marauder/sentinel has waaay more survivability than Jugg DPS. I had to reroll mara from jugg for ranked because of that fact. Just has so many get out of jail free cards.

kms_md

I think a mara has a bit more survivability than jugg in vigilance or rage. Rebuke/Cloak of Pain more than makes up for the lack of heavy armor.

Oh yeah, marauder/sentinel has waaay more survivability than Jugg DPS. I had to reroll mara from jugg for ranked because of that fact. Just has so many get out of jail free cards.

I agree with both of you (I have a level 55 marauder that is my main). However, learning how and when to employ these effectively is what makes leveling a marauder difficult - especially on an initial toon (especially now that pommel strike is gone :/ ). BH is a little more straightforward it its rotation and hits for some serious damage and sorc has both range and push backs.

Alur

...It seems most people who pvp are going to transfer, so it's a choice between staying with my raid group on a server with shit for pvp or leaving pve behind. Neither choice ideal.

Stay on the old server and create your own PVP dynasty with Yooni and dominate after all the LD's and UC's go battle it out on the super PVP server. More fun for everyone!

Either way, as Ninefingers says you gotta be realistic. If the exodus really happens (I say if cause I can't count the number of times I've been around folks who were like when X happens we are going to Y...and then like 5 people go) PVP isn't gonna dry up, just the insane groups will be fewer and farther between for those folks who don't have them. I see this is a good thing for all involved. Big guns get better competition, small fries get to blissfully face smash and not get trounced 600-0.

Kind of like our first month plus on Jedi Covenant. Happy times.

Heysoos

So as long as relics don't have the same effect, they won't share a CD. Right? As in a Shield proc and Defense proc relic won't share the same CD.

HBroward

Imps win a lot now, the only time you know you are screwed is when facing super queues of LD50 or LD and Bloodline. We have won some good games with the other half of our team between 22-24k health. Pretty weird. The "lag" issue has been back the last week. It really sucks because the game is basically unplayable. This happens every couple months and usually takes a week and a half for Bioware to get it sorted out. So frustrating. I beat Bioshock Infinite at least thanks to this, and knocked a couple other steam games out of my backlog. So thanks I guess?

Sokantish

Can anyone here tell me what's a good PVP spec for a juggernaut? Right now I'm vengeance and I feel completely useless in warzones. I'm only level 37 so I don't know if its because I still need to get better skills/talents or I'm bad, or my spec is bad.

Rokam

So I thought you couldn't find random dig sites with your seeker droid till you finish the quest? Stumbled onto one on Hoth, anyone know if I'll be able to get the rare from it or will I just get the random blues/greens/greys?

So I thought you couldn't find random dig sites with your seeker droid till you finish the quest? Stumbled onto one on Hoth, anyone know if I'll be able to get the rare from it or will I just get the random blues/greens/greys?

You can get rare treasures still. You just can't get any pieces of the seeker droid unique armor sets till you finish the seeker quest storyline.

mileS

Quick question about alignment. I'm fairly high up on the light side and I'm looking to get the speeder from the vendor. What happens if I hit the rank needed and end up making some dark side choices pushing me back a rank. Can I no longer use it? how does that even work? Same thing as relics? (which honestly I don't know how that works either)

It's pretty silly how must faster you earn elite gear than the basic stuff. Unless of course your rich and just buy all the mods to make your own basic gear.

Quick question about alignment. I'm fairly high up on the light side and I'm looking to get the speeder from the vendor. What happens if I hit the rank needed and end up making some dark side choices pushing me back a rank. Can I no longer use it? how does that even work? Same thing as relics? (which honestly I don't know how that works either)

relics won't work but you can keep using speeder. I went dark 5 bought praxon xeno or w/e then went to neutral (thought I'd get a cool title or something like "The Redeemed", lol). It still works.

Heysoos

It's pretty silly how must faster you earn elite gear than the basic stuff. Unless of course your rich and just buy all the mods to make your own basic gear.

I 66'd (purple) my Sage and Vanguard Tank pretty easily with my cybertech and artificer. :p That said I had a ton of mats stocked from all the stuff I got from my 2 slicers. Though the nice thing is that the purple 66 stuff takes very little mats to make.

Draxal

Ayup, which is why i was entirely against the basic commendation pricing in the first place. It's like they don't bother testing their own game.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
No. You get a racial animation ability from each race but they don't do anything.

With non-human Sith, sometimes people will make "alien scum" comments and you can say "dumbass, I'm an alien", but you don't get the option to go Django on them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I got pushed up to an awesome perch in a CW today:

I've knocked people over that wall a few times when I managed to use my knockback just as they did an attack that put them up in the air. It's very satisfying :p

Top Bottom