• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Draxal

How do the packs/boxes work? They drop random loot akin to TF2/Dota2 boxes, etc?

Random loot; most packs will drop 2 rare or super rare items, one exp boost item, one rep item, one companion rep item, and a small stack of crafting items.

Hmmm, kind of underwhelmed by this pack. Most interesting things to me were the Daragon armors, but not sure if I'd actually use them on any characters, as they're pretty silly. Maybe they'll provide some awesome gear combinations with other sets, though.

I think how you view the current packs will also depend on how much you like galactic starfighter, as there's a decent amount of drops for GSF in them.

How do the packs/boxes work? They drop random loot akin to TF2/Dota2 boxes, etc?

Random cosmetic items, emotes, pets, mounts, toys, etc Certain items are more rare than others. They release a new cartel pack each month with new stuff in them, after several months they retire the series and bring in new sets.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yes. The items are then bound to you for just over 1 1/2 days after which you can trade/sell any items (as long as you haven't use them obviously) with the good news being that you can therefore find all the stuff from the packs on the GTN. All the items from the packs are marked with a little Cartel symbol. Silver items are common and gold items are rare but even the rare items have various levels of rarity. Some of the mounts, for example, will be very rare. You'll also get semi-high end crafting material (which can either be worth a few good credits or be mostly worthless depending on what's in demand) and a blue or purple companion gifts in each pack. The sucky thing is that a purple companion gift will count as a rare item and each of the 320 credit packs is guaranteed 2.

Lastly you'll also get an item that grants reputation (random whether it's a small, med or large amount of rep) or a Cartel Certificate. A few of the super-rare items from past packs are put on the reputation vendors in the Cartel Market of the fleet. You'll need a certain standing with the current cartel rep and certificates to purchase them. The rarest items need 10 certificates. There are also unique items you just buy with credits if you have high enough rep standing. Each set of 5 packs has it's own reputation. We just started a new cycle of packs, the last ones were Bounty Packs and these are Starfighter.

Dulfy's site is the best place to find pics of what's available in each pack.

http://dulfy.net/2013/02/04/swtor-cartel-market-pack-list/

Current pack.

Milly79

Pd still being reg stars and thinking they're good? What else is new. Funny how 0 of then transferred to pot5 for real comp and stayed to further cement their reg star status.

KePoW

Banned
Hey guys I haven't played in over 6+ months.

Quick question, did they ever make the security key like WoW, where you don't have to input it every time? Or is it still required every single login

Alur

Who are y'all playing Pubside JC these days? I've been trying to learn to heal on my Scoundrel, hopefully going to get him to the same level of half decent as Shep. If you see Beevo, hit him up.

F'Shep, right? I have you on friends still, saw you on him a few times but didn't think you'd remember me so I never sent you a tell. I've been in games with Beevo, a couple anyway. I'll add him to my friends list. We tend to run at night about 9/10 CST or so, so if you are ever around we'll play some together if you want.

Pd still being reg stars and thinking they're good? What else is new. Funny how 0 of then transferred to pot5 for real comp and stayed to further cement their reg star status.

Well, I do believe Love does do the solo ranked with the rest of the server. Why do I not remember this Love person being anyone of note, before? They were just another body, so far as I remember. Vas still doing only regs though, and Rez and Tazz and the couple others are only on like a day or two a week. The other PD guys I just don't know, or they are on alts I don't recognize, but yes, other than Love no one does rated so far as I know.

I can't say much though, neither do I. Then again, we're lucky to field a full group to PVP most nights since Maniac seems to be on sabbatical. We've started pulling in outsiders and tagging onto other guilds now, as the SS brand is mostly a two man show most nights.

I got my Strike Fighter. <3. Homi/Bruta gave me one, he ended up with 3 in his crate. I also nabbed one of the new Tauntauns for dirt on the GTN. I like it's re-skin better than the Strike Force one.

vilmer_

If there was one class in pvp that I feel has always been consistently great (verging on op) is an Assassin/Shadow. They have far too many tools at their disposal, I mean I see them open up on fully geared players with a 7k white hit, into a 6.5k crit, into three more 3k crits right after. Not to mention the stealth and freaking teleport now? Wtf lol. Of course there's the 100% force resist cooldown on top of the 2 (or 3?) cc's that feel like 100 :p I don't think the nerf to the hybrid tank/dps spec was enough tbh. I think it's time I leveled my Scoundrel to 55 and started dueling again to get a feel for where each class stands at the moment. As of right now, Assassin's seem to be stronger than they ever were. In the old 1v1 tourneys, you had Ops and Marauders who could always hang in there, but right now in 1v1's I don't think anything comes close to an Assassin.

I can also remember when I was specifically queuing as a Guardian tank, and I was absolutely fully geared and min/maxed. I'd be duking it out with an Assassin tank, equally geared, and he would just eat right into my health even through a few defensives while I would just swat at him with my wet noodle.

Alur

If there was one class in pvp that I feel has always been consistently great (verging on op) is an Assassin/Shadow. They have far too many tools at their disposal, I mean I see them open up on fully geared players with a 7k white hit, into a 6.5k crit, into three more 3k crits right after. Not to mention the stealth and freaking teleport now? Wtf lol. Of course there's the 100% force resist cooldown on top of the 2 (or 3?) cc's that feel like 100 :p I don't think the nerf to the hybrid tank/dps spec was enough tbh. I think it's time I leveled my Scoundrel to 55 and started dueling again to get a feel for where each class stands at the moment. As of right now, Assassin's seem to be stronger than they ever were. In the old 1v1 tourneys, you had Ops and Marauders who could always hang in there, but right now in 1v1's I don't think anything comes close to an Assassin.

I can also remember when I was specifically queuing as a Guardian tank, and I was absolutely fully geared and min/maxed. I'd be duking it out with an Assassin tank, equally geared, and he would just eat right into my health even through a few defensives while I would just swat at him with my wet noodle.

I agree with you about assassin/shadow being very strong basically continually through launch til now. They've always had at least one strong spec it seems.

My theory on why you don't see major nerfs to them is the same for why we don't see them to marauders/sents and sorc/sage. They have always seemed to be the three most popular classes, and as such the player variance is huge. There are some amazing assassins who just dominate and are so skilled at cool down usage they are neigh unkillable (the ones it always seems you go against). There are even more who can barely get the 360k medal (these are the ones on your team). The greatest number lie in the middle, putting out 400-700k depending on the game and whoever was healing, and that seems "balanced" in the eyes of Bioware I think.

I run heals only and see this most often with assassin or marauder. I know when I'm against a good one immediately because against a scrub they'll open and do 1/4th my health at best, and I can face tank them generally for indefinite periods of time. A skilled player easily drops me 1/2 to 2/3rd rapidly and I've gotta react quickly.

Marauders and sents are the most notorious for being either amazing or terrible, IMO.

Heysoos

I agree with you about assassin/shadow being very strong basically continually through launch til now. They've always had at least one strong spec it seems.

My theory on why you don't see major nerfs to them is the same for why we don't see them to marauders/sents and sorc/sage. They have always seemed to be the three most popular classes, and as such the player variance is huge. There are some amazing assassins who just dominate and are so skilled at cool down usage they are neigh unkillable (the ones it always seems you go against). There are even more who can barely get the 360k medal (these are the ones on your team). The greatest number lie in the middle, putting out 400-700k depending on the game and whoever was healing, and that seems "balanced" in the eyes of Bioware I think.

I run heals only and see this most often with assassin or marauder. I know when I'm against a good one immediately because against a scrub they'll open and do 1/4th my health at best, and I can face tank them generally for indefinite periods of time. A skilled player easily drops me 1/2 to 2/3rd rapidly and I've gotta react quickly.

Marauders and sents are the most notorious for being either amazing or terrible, IMO.

YES. I can't count the times where I join a game, see 3 or 4 sents on my team, and THEY ALL END AT THE BOTTOM in terms of DPS.

Also, I don't really have problem against Shadows/Sins, I usually disappear when they pop their CDs though, and ride it out for a few seconds before I'm back on them. Also always keep a burn up on them at all times. Though maybe I just haven't run into a good one in a long time.

Milly79

Yeah, you're not a problem though. You've never went out of your way to troll or proclaim you're good at the game. That's all PD ever did. Not sure how they were on KV. Love is seriously garbage. I'll never forget the time I meant to whisper Vas how trash he was and I accidentally said it to Love. Needless to say, TS was awkward as hell as we were all in it when I whispered it.

Really don't know if I want to continue playing. I got my sniper to 54 and it's gotten stale. Doesn't help my times conflict with actually playing with Rynis and Liz. They want me to xfer my slinger over so I have my legacy gear, but I really don't see the point in paying for that. I can't even see the point in paying to sub with how little I've put into it this month compared to how often I used to play.

Alur

Yeah, you're not a problem though. You've never went out of your way to troll or proclaim you're good at the game. That's all PD ever did. Not sure how they were on KV. Love is seriously garbage. I'll never forget the time I meant to whisper Vas how trash he was and I accidentally said it to Love. Needless to say, TS was awkward as hell as we were all in it when I whispered it.

Really don't know if I want to continue playing. I got my sniper to 54 and it's gotten stale. Doesn't help my times conflict with actually playing with Rynis and Liz. They want me to xfer my slinger over so I have my legacy gear, but I really don't see the point in paying for that. I can't even see the point in paying to sub with how little I've put into it this month compared to how often I used to play.

Well there's also the part where I did run with the Turks for a bit and we did win, so I'll consider that my street cred for playing regs now lol. On KV, they were always second banana to SS. Vas wasn't the player he is now, and they mostly had commando heals and sentinels. They were good, but they were always respectful back then. Not sure what happened in the meantime. Probably the whole thing with The Turks and folks like them after the first merger, we never saw people act like that in PVP in SWTOR til then.

I'm still enjoying it, but you have to consider that there's so much you did back in the day that I never touched that I'm just now doing. It's no wonder you're burned out. Rep grinds, operations, etc. Any operation past Denova and any reputation outside of Gree I never experienced.

The key for me this time has been taking it easy. We PVP, but we aren't hardcore about it at all. We just play, and when we hit a rough spot of a few losses in a row or double premades or whatever we just quit instead of beating our heads against it and getting frustrated. I've been solo queueing a lot this week honestly. That plus doing things besides PVPing for the first time since leaving GAF Empire has really made it better for me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
A friend of mine wants me to join his guild so I'm downloading the free version now. I've never played this game and I doubt it will run on my PC being low end and all. So, here I go delving head first into SWTOR against my better judgements.

Milly79

A friend of mine wants me to join his guild so I'm downloading the free version now. I've never played this game and I doubt it will run on my PC being low end and all. So, here I go delving head first into SWTOR against my better judgements.

Eh, you should be fine. I played it on an 08 Macbook at launch, when it was horribly unoptimized. I had to look at the ground during Ops, :lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

My only suggestion is don't be put off by all the prompts to buy cartel coins, most of the stuff isn't necessary to play the game, even the extra UI bars. Of course if you want to spend 5 bucks or so to get to preferred status it would definitely be better. All the stuff they want you to unlock can be purchased on the Galactic Trade Network marketplace with credits although you probably won't be able to afford most of it until later levels.

Good luck and have fun!

Everytime I see the thread bumped, a small part of me thinks "time for rakghouls?"

At this point it has to be Tues. I can't believe they dragged out the teases for a week.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I tried Starfighters last night. I was getting pretty much totally destroyed the whole time. I probably only successfully did damage to another player like 5 times, lol

Sorian

Banned
At this point it has to be Tues. I can't believe they dragged out the teases for a week.

A part of me still hopes they will just flip the switch on on a random day like they did with the first event but yeah, I never expected them to overlap bounty week with this and I was right :/

Draxal

I tried Starfighters last night. I was getting pretty much totally destroyed the whole time. I probably only successfully did damage to another player like 5 times, lol

You'll get better fast. I would play it now since the preferred players are going there, when I first started a couple of days before preferrred got access, I was getting completely destroyed.

Iunno, bounty hunter week and preferred players getting a shot at gsf, I thought it made sense to delay it a week, however they should have probably not teased at is as much.

Darkmakaimura

Okay started game and then I had some things to take care of so logged off. Logged back in and now I'm in a queue because the server is full and telling me 10 minutes before I can get in. Ah, great first impressions.... lol.

StudioTan

Okay started game and then I had some things to take care of so logged off. Logged back in and now I'm in a queue because the server is full and telling me 10 minutes before I can get in. Ah, great first impressions.... lol.

That's part of being free to play I believe, subs have login priority.

Teasing the event for a week is so stupid. Got lot of people excited over nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the RP aspect of what they're doing on twitter, just like when the add RP touches to patch notes, however I'm just surprised they started teasing so early. I was sure it would be here by the weekend.

Darkmakaimura

That's part of being free to play I believe, subs have login priority.
That's understood but seeing as how I've been waiting for the last couple of hours and I see the queue go down and then back up again.... Welp, let's just say I won't be playing this tonight. If this regularly occurs (I understand it's Saturday night) I think I'll do myself a favor and hit the 'uninstall' button for this game.

Heysoos

That's understood but seeing as how I've been waiting for the last couple of hours and I see the queue go down and then back up again.... Welp, let's just say I won't be playing this tonight. If this regularly occurs (I understand it's Saturday night) I think I'll do myself a favor and hit the 'uninstall' button for this game.

Wait, on queue for hours? What server is this?

Darkmakaimura

Wait, on queue for hours? What server is this?
The Harbinger.

Waited for about two hours. Kept seeing the queue drop and then rise again. It would be at 180 and then drop to 160 and then rise to 167, etc. I quit and closed it out after that.

Only reason I'm even trying this game is because a friend of mine asked me to and wanted me to join his guild and he's on that server.

Edit: Tried logging in again now and there's 420 (how appropriate) people in queue not including subscribers. Oh wait, make that 425 now.... Now it's down to 416.... Oh yeah, this game's great....

Draxal

The Harbinger.

Waited for about two hours. Kept seeing the queue drop and then rise again. It would be at 180 and then drop to 160 and then rise to 167, etc. I quit and closed it out after that.

Only reason I'm even trying this game is because a friend of mine asked me to and wanted me to join his guild and he's on that server.

He should get ya a gift card so you could be a preferred player.

The Harbinger.

Edit: Tried logging in again now and there's 420 (how appropriate) people in queue not including subscribers. Oh wait, make that 425 now.... Now it's down to 416.... Oh yeah, this game's great....

I was in a queue as well earlier on harbinger as well. Took about 5 mins to get in, first time I've seen queues since maybe when 2.0 came out. Once i got in people on fleet were complaining about pvp, gsf and fp queues not working and when I got to Alderaan at seems at one point there had been 29 separate instances. From experience all these are signs that server is about to crash, it should be right after to does and gets reset.

Heysoos

The Harbinger.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7127162&postcount=6
Hey folks,

We are looking into the reported login and queue issues. I will give you updates as I have them!

-eric

Seems you're not alone.

MoonGred

Hey guys, decided to give this another go to fix my mmo itch. Haven't played since release, and by the looks of things a lot seems to have changed.

2 questions:

How enjoyable is thw f2p part?

And are there any Australian/oceanic servers, if so which one are most of you guys one?

Heysoos

Hey guys, decided to give this another go to fix my mmo itch. Haven't played since release, and by the looks of things a lot seems to have changed.

2 questions:

And are there any Australian/oceanic servers, if so which one are most of you guys one?

Honestly, this game's F2P is weak. If you can go to preferred, it'd be a much better experience, but still not the best.

As far as server goes, I think there's one major AU server now so it should be pretty full. I may be wrong though.

2 questions:

All the Australian servers are dead and merged with West Coast USA. I play on Harbinger with about a 230ms ping, not as good as the sub 50 as before but there are plenty of Aussie guilds and people on our prime time.

Alur

Yeah...sadly, that's kind of the game. Folks who thought the barrier to entry for PVP was bad will particularly hate the GSF entry woes, because it requires more than just a good class. You actually have to develop some skill to get anywhere.

So I transferred my slinger. The cycle never stops. :(

:( and :) at the same time. Hence why I am also back for my fourth rodeo with this game.

The Harbinger.

That server had to have been going down or was already down. Had the same problem on Jedi Covenant a few days ago, which is the very first time I remember ever having server trouble in this game. It always managed to miss us somehow.

That's not indicative of the game itself. Rarely, and I mean rarely is there an issue with servers going down. As I said, Jedi Covenant went down the other day and that is the first time I've ever seen it down for non-maintenance that I can recall.

Ocho

First time I played I hit a guy for 200 dmg, that's it.

After 6-8 games, now I rarely crash (still do sometimes) and get 5+ kills. You get used to it pretty quickly imo.

Milly79

:( and :) at the same time. Hence why I am also back for my fourth rodeo with this game.

It's pretty sad I'm top dps by a pretty large margin and I'm not even fully geared and even missing expertise pieces at this point. I did strip my sniper completely, so that toon will rot forever on pot5. Played the top guild 3 matches on a row and lost 2 out 3. Definitely not as good as past top people we've played with/against, but decent enough. They were of course running 1 tk and 1 balance sage, 1 tactics vg and a shadow tank. 6-0'd them in hb, lost vs and nc purely based on shit pugs. Hard when I have to peel and try to kill healers at the same time, but the dps can't even help.

If you ever get bored, roll a toon here. :)

Repost: http://www.swtor.com/r/LsFqBs

Draxal

Yeah...sadly, that's kind of the game. Folks who thought the barrier to entry for PVP was bad will particularly hate the GSF entry woes, because it requires more than just a good class. You actually have to develop some skill to get anywhere.

Don't think thats too true, I've been doing decently, and I'm certainly not that skilled. Experience does help a ton in the game, but I'll never be mistaken for a pro.
I don't think there's as much as depth in GSF as there is in warzone/ranked warzone which makes it a more level playing field. It also helps that there was a huge influx of new people into the game with preferred players, as pretty much there was the only dedicated starfighters playing here while subscribed.

Anor:
Dulfy's guide did help me a ton while learning it initially.

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/15/swtor-galactic-starfighter-new-player-guide/

First time I played I hit a guy for 200 dmg, that's it.

After 6-8 games, now I rarely crash (still do sometimes) and get 5+ kills. You get used to it pretty quickly imo.

I'm still too aggresive with my retro thrusters and crash all the time with them.

Darkmakaimura

Uninstalled.

My PC is too low end and it was starting to cause graphical problem, even after I quit the game. Well, that was kind of fun while it lasted. lol.

Alur

Don't think thats too true, I've been doing decently, and I'm certainly not that skilled. Experience does help a ton in the game, but I'll never be mistaken for a pro.
I don't think there's as much as depth in GSF as there is in warzone/ranked warzone which makes it a more level playing field. It also helps that there was a huge influx of new people into the game with preferred players, as pretty much there was the only dedicated starfighters playing here while subscribed.

Doesn't this basically echo what I said, though? Experience helps a ton, you won't be mistaken for a pro, etc etc...that was my point. The barrier for entry is high and it turns people off. If you play it for a few days though, you get to the point of killing 3-5 folks a game at a decent clip. It's just a bit demoralizing til you start figuring it out.

Good call on starting now though, get in while the getting is good atm.

I dunno if there is more depth or not to be honest. I haven't played it enough to say. I guess there couldn't be really without more maps though. I hate that one map...the one with meteorite/asteroid belt is great, the other one....hate it.

The biggest learning curve of GSF is the controls. And anyone new to it, shouldn't jump in with a scout ship as they are so twitchy. Tutorial play is a must, which though is done with the scout so your going to run into lot of walls.

Draxal

Doesn't this basically echo what I said, though? Experience helps a ton, you won't be mistaken for a pro, etc etc...that was my point. The barrier for entry is high and it turns people off. If you play it for a few days though, you get to the point of killing 3-5 folks a game at a decent clip. It's just a bit demoralizing til you start figuring it out.

Good call on starting now though, get in while the getting is good atm.

I dunno if there is more depth or not to be honest. I haven't played it enough to say. I guess there couldn't be really without more maps though. I hate that one map...the one with meteorite/asteroid belt is great, the other one....hate it.

Err, I just don't think the skill cap is nearly as high for GSF as it is for Warzones, and I'm just saying it only takes a couple of matches to notice a noticeable difference in improvement.

Where I'm disagreeing with you is that I think the wall is much much higher in warzone pvp,

Alur

Err, I just don't think the skill cap is nearly as high for GSF as it is for Warzones, and I'm just saying it only takes a couple of matches to notice a noticeable difference in improvement.

Where I'm disagreeing with you is that I think the wall is much much higher in warzone pvp,

In that case you are correct, we do disagree. The best PVP player's skill level may be harder to reach than the best GSF player, by some degree, but a good PVP player's skill level is much easier to reach than a good GSF player skill level because you play 95% of the game with the same abilities you use in PVP.

A PVE all-star can waltz into PVP with no experience and still put up respectable numbers and follow the few directions that are shouted in /ops (get mid, left door, etc), being a help to a team. I regularly see people in full PVE gear putting up nice dps (I also see them putting up terrible dps, for what it's worth) and definitely see them putting up respectable healing numbers. A barely serviceable story mode raider (ie: shouldn't even be in SM ops they are so bad) can guard a node or door and call out incomings, pop stealth and pop out to interrupt a cap, use knockbacks or AOE to prevent caps, etc...aka: be useful. After all, PVP is exactly like the rest of the game as far as your hotbars, your movement, your skills, hell even your rotations for the most part. The only difference is the strategy of use of things like your cooldowns/stuns and what not, and a little observation really helps there.

A novice GSF player for those first 5 to 10 matches is basically a floating turd in space. It's hard to get your aim right. It's hard to keep from flying into walls when attempting to evade pursuit. You manage to get away from whatever scout is guarding a node only for one of the three turrets to kill you. You can't even really guard a node properly as a noob because you don't really even know where to sit to avoid long range fire...I could go on and on. You can't really watch what other players do in GSF because the map is so big and the encounters are so fast in the beginning you don't even get a grasp of what abilities are being used at what time until you've messed around for a good while on your own.

GSF is basically SWTOR: FPS Edition (In Space) (TM), or that's what I think when I play it. A lot of the folks who play MMOs don't do a lot of FPS style gaming in my experience, so they are inherently at a disadvantage to those who do (and those who do play those games gravitate to GSF) and hence why there are threads everywhere whining about the learning curve.

If you (Draxal) played a lot of Call of Duty or Halo or whatever in the past and are used to quick twitch aiming for headshots and the like, I can understand where you're coming from about getting to an acceptable skill cap in GSF quicker. IMO, however, that's not the type of person who plays these kind of games long term, hence my opinions on the longer learning curve.

All that said, I do enjoy it when I play it. I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation.

Draxal

In that case you are correct, we do disagree. The best PVP player's skill level may be harder to reach than the best GSF player, by some degree, but a good PVP player's skill level is much easier to reach than a good GSF player skill level because you play 95% of the game with the same abilities you use in PVP.

A PVE all-star can waltz into PVP with no experience and still put up respectable numbers and follow the few directions that are shouted in /ops (get mid, left door, etc), being a help to a team. I regularly see people in full PVE gear putting up nice dps (I also see them putting up terrible dps, for what it's worth) and definitely see them putting up respectable healing numbers. A barely serviceable story mode raider (ie: shouldn't even be in SM ops they are so bad) can guard a node or door and call out incomings, pop stealth and pop out to interrupt a cap, use knockbacks or AOE to prevent caps, etc...aka: be useful. After all, PVP is exactly like the rest of the game as far as your hotbars, your movement, your skills, hell even your rotations for the most part. The only difference is the strategy of use of things like your cooldowns/stuns and what not, and a little observation really helps there.

A novice GSF player for those first 5 to 10 matches is basically a floating turd in space. It's hard to get your aim right. It's hard to keep from flying into walls when attempting to evade pursuit. You manage to get away from whatever scout is guarding a node only for one of the three turrets to kill you. You can't even really guard a node properly as a noob because you don't really even know where to sit to avoid long range fire...I could go on and on. You can't really watch what other players do in GSF because the map is so big and the encounters are so fast in the beginning you don't even get a grasp of what abilities are being used at what time until you've messed around for a good while on your own.

GSF is basically SWTOR: FPS Edition (In Space) (TM), or that's what I think when I play it. A lot of the folks who play MMOs don't do a lot of FPS style gaming in my experience, so they are inherently at a disadvantage to those who do (and those who do play those games gravitate to GSF) and hence why there are threads everywhere whining about the learning curve.

If you (Draxal) played a lot of Call of Duty or Halo or whatever in the past and are used to quick twitch aiming for headshots and the like, I can understand where you're coming from about getting to an acceptable skill cap in GSF quicker. IMO, however, that's not the type of person who plays these kind of games long term, hence my opinions on the longer learning curve.

All that said, I do enjoy it when I play it. I'm not complaining about it, just making an observation.

I'm actually quite bad at FPSs and Mobas, but I think there's a couple of things against SWTOR and his mommas pvp gameplay. You can be a keyboard turning clicking grav spamming commando and do just fine in pve, but you'd get destroyed in pvp. PVE in all these sandbox mmo's teaches you bad habits, plus there's so many more skills and conditional abilities that are in standard pvp gameplay compared to GSF (which is the depth argument I was talking about). But then again, like you said it's an agree to disagree moment.

Alur

It's pretty sad I'm top dps by a pretty large margin and I'm not even fully geared and even missing expertise pieces at this point. I did strip my sniper completely, so that toon will rot forever on pot5. Played the top guild 3 matches on a row and lost 2 out 3. Definitely not as good as past top people we've played with/against, but decent enough. They were of course running 1 tk and 1 balance sage, 1 tactics vg and a shadow tank. 6-0'd them in hb, lost vs and nc purely based on shit pugs. Hard when I have to peel and try to kill healers at the same time, but the dps can't even help.

If you ever get bored, roll a toon here. :)

Repost: http://www.swtor.com/r/LsFqBs

There are at least 3 or 4 nights a week when pub side is full of healers that Ditto's DPS would be enough to win the game, be the top DPS, and be one of probably 3 DPS on the team that breaks 400k, and most of those are in our group. Some games are rough in this new, non-superguild era of JC PVP. Lots and lots of healers and a good many tanks. Tanks just aren't very viable in the PVP meta we have right now due to all the healers. They are both unnecessary (due to all the crossheals) and a double negative (due to lack of DPS in groups as a whole). Third would probably be because we rarely get Voidstar or Huttball, where they are most useful.

As for rolling a toon there, don't count it out. Homi and I are talking about maybe transferring to a west coast server (definitely not the PVP one) so we can raid and PVP with people again. By the time we log on at night (9 or 10 CST, so 10-11 EST) most folks have already logged or are logging, and the raids are already ran. That coupled with the fact that we only know about 10 people on the server anymore (long term knowing, we have made some new friends of course) makes it definitely enticing.

Alur

I'm forever alone. :(

It's just a personality thing for me. I enjoy the top level PVP, and enjoy playing the top level players and can hold my own...what I don't like is how it seems everyone who feels they are good at the game must insult everyone else on their team and/or the other team depending on the outcome of the game. Unfortunately, these folks seem to be drawn to PVP in every game.

I would love to find a guild where the players are both good at the game and capable of being civil to non-guildmates. Those seem to be rare in SWTOR since the server mergers.

Top Bottom