• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

LOL what pants are those?

I forget the full name, but it's something-Champion Greaves. Should be able to find them searching "Champion Greaves" under adaptive armor.

haha I bought a similar armor on my commando and didn't realize it was this type of armor because skin tone and armor color somewhat matched, boy when I realized what I was wearing I felt dumb. This armor does not go well with a body type 3 male trooper

Hah, I bet.

rallaren

The healer/shooter at lvl 21 is good. Finally a worthy companion. Edit: Oh it's Balmorra completion, not just lvl 21...

Does taking out the parts in gear make it bound to me?

I found an orange vest going for 25k-45k on the market but it said it was bound to me after I had taken out the parts. Didn't read what it said while doing so, only looked at the cost.

Another Nar Shadaa screenie and the new vest + lightsaber:

egMQtr5.jpg

On a whim I decided to try this game out. I am on the west coast pvp server and I'm only a level 14 powertech. Which server do you guys roll on? I haven't ran into any open world pvp yet since I haven't seen I haven't gone far enough to see any republic running around but I was hoping it would be like DCUO where if you were a hero/villain and you see the other side running around it would be open season. Do you even get anything for ganking anyone like a bounty or something?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
On a whim I decided to try this game out. I am on the west coast pvp server and I'm only a level 14 powertech. Which server do you guys roll on? I haven't ran into any open world pvp yet since I haven't seen I haven't gone far enough to see any republic running around but I was hoping it would be like DCUO where if you were a hero/villain and you see the other side running around it would be open season. Do you even get anything for ganking anyone like a bounty or something?

You're not yet on a planet that both factions can visit. The first will be Nar Shaddaa. Both factions do go to Balmorra/Taris but at different times so there is no interaction between them.

kmz

Neo Member
Even on Nar Shaddaa there's no open PVP areas unless you go to the bonus series area which is a higher level. The lowest level PVP area is going to be Tatooine, which is almost all cross-faction.

Alur

There's not much open world PVP left in this game. Like most MMOs, it was around a good bit in the early daysand then slowly folks stopped going/it got nerfed/etc til it's non existent now unless there's an event going on. You'll see folks occasionally as you level up, and even more rarely they might be flagged so you can attack, but the planets are so big it's hard to run into others honestly.

You used to get valor points for ganking people in open world PVP which add up and eventually give you titles, but there is no reward anymore. Valor points are strictly through warzones now.

If you want to PVP, just queue for warzones. I think one thing that most people agree on who played this game extensively is that SWTOR PVP is some of the best and more balanced you'll find in an MMO. You can level up solely through it if that's what you're into.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No expansion news this week :(

Apparently they are planning something special for subs that they want to lock down before announcing everything. We'll get the announcement in the next couple of weeks but he said it doesn't affect the release date at all and it's still coming this year.

Moff

honestly even if it does still release this year, this has been easily the worst year for SWTOR so far. and things looked so good last year, with oricon, starfighter and the tactical flashpoints had hard modes. but this year? next to nothing.
no operations, no hardmore flashpoints, 1 warzone, thats the only thing I can really count.
housing is great, but useless until I have actualy new content i want to play and can contribute to the housing with it.

so yeah, thats why i hardly played this game this year although I actually really like it.

I don't see how a special pet or vehicle for subs would impact the announcement. Now they've got me feeling that it's going to be underwhelming.

People want information not extra fluff for being loyal.

I don't see how a special pet or vehicle for subs would impact the announcement. Now they've got me feeling that it's going to be underwhelming.

I like both.

Shame about the announcement being pushed back though. Was really looking forward to it. Guess I'll keep working on my scoundrel in the mean time...

Milly79

Xpac spoiler:

A friend is datamining the patch while I work. He confirmed via the pre-order mail message the expansion is called: "Shadow of Revan"

Just in case.

It will probably be special incentives for subscribers to preorder the expansion by a certain date

Alur

honestly even if it does still release this year, this has been easily the worst year for SWTOR so far.

I agree it's pretty sparse, don't get me wrong...but the worst one had to be the first one, don't you think? Where we had dead servers and no new content forever and lost a million plus players?

I'm still ticking away at it. PVPing as usual. Destiny on the side...and now Shadow of Mordor. Too much stuff.

Moff

I agree it's pretty sparse, don't get me wrong...but the worst one had to be the first one, don't you think? Where we had dead servers and no new content forever and lost a million plus players?

well I personally enjoyed the first year a lot. I think the content was fine for launch and witthin the first month there was lots of new operation content and another hardmode flashpoint.

well I personally enjoyed the first year a lot. I think the content was fine for launch and witthin the first month there was lots of new operation content and another hardmode flashpoint.

The content drought between 1.2 and 1.3 and then again between 1.3 and 1.4 (with 1.3 a QoL update rather then content) it was easily the largest content drought by far and away. While in terms of operations this is now the longest drought (which for me is important), in terms of just content though the first year after 1.2 was sparse at best.

Alur

The content drought between 1.2 and 1.3 and then again between 1.3 and 1.4 (with 1.3 a QoL update rather then content) it was easily the largest content drought by far and away. While in terms of operations this is now the longest drought (which for me is important), in terms of just content though the first year after 1.2 was sparse at best.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. It was a dry time indeed.

I enjoyed the first year a lot too, but there's no escaping the fact that the vast majority of people quit and those of us that didn't were on very dead servers for a good chunk of time. Even with regular content, it would've been near unbearable with the populations we had, which is why so many flooded servers like The Harbinger and Fatman back then.

For me, this and any future year would have a hard time being worse just based on the fact there are many ops, warzones, space pvp, flashpoints, etc to do and a decent number of people to do them with.

Milly79

Pre-orders are up for Shadow Of Revan, starting today. $20.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20141006

Glad they held off on the press release to announce they are giving us a statue and some x12 xp. Amazing, Bioware!

Fight to Stop Revan’s Master Plan

Embark on an epic new storyline with full voiceover and dramatic cinematic moments as you prepare to face Revan, one of the most powerful characters in The Old Republic era.

Power Up with Five New Levels

Continue your Star Wars saga with an increased Level Cap of 60 and obtain powerful new abilities and equipment as you advance to new heights of power!

Explore Savage New Worlds:

Rishi and Yavin 4

Travel to the tropical world of Rishi, a dangerous pirate haven at the edge of the galaxy, then continue your story on Yavin 4, home of the fearsome Massassi warriors!

KEY FEATURES

Fight in New High-Level Flashpoints and Operations – Team with allies to face the most epic foes in the galaxy with two new role-neutral Flashpoints, four Hard Mode Flashpoints and ten new powerful bosses across two Level 60 Operations.

Customize Characters with the New Discipline System* - Choose from among a set of new Disciplines, see your Path before you, and customize your combat experience to fit your play style. Check out the blog for more details!

Unlock New Gear and Reputation Rewards - Earn powerful new Revanite gear, crafting schematics and new mounts, including armored vehicle transports!

I'm really curious on this discipline system.

Here's the blog on discipline:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-introduction-disciplines

Holy.

Syf

Banned
Yavin 4 hype! Also happy to hear about the two new raids. Discipline system is really interesting. And just $20 is nice.

Overall love what I'm reading.

StudioTan

Trailer was pretty good, excited for more story content!

Still reading about the discipline thing, not sure what to think yet.

Not sure how well Disciplines will work obviously till it's launched, but hopefully they let us save configs? If they say they want us to be able to easily reset and choose new ones while not in combat, I hope they give us a save option for our builds so we finally have a multispec system. As the whole skill reset was always available, and just a pain.

StudioTan

Actually, looking at it again the xp boost is actually really cool, it lets you get from 1-55 just doing your class quests. That's perfect for me.

EDIT: Oh shit, the XP boost is right for between now and the launch, available immediately. Nice!

So my wife and I are pretty burnt on Destiny, figured I would pick up SWTOR again for a little while till a few more releases hit.

How far does the F2P go? Can we finish our storyline missions? We are both pretty high level as it stands, I think we were actually on the last parts of both, hah.

Yep, you can go all the way to 50 as a f2p. Your limited in stuff like how much money you can have available and which gear you can wear but all the story stuff is open.

daedalius

So my wife and I are pretty burnt on Destiny, figured I would pick up SWTOR again for a little while till a few more releases hit.

How far does the F2P go? Can we finish our storyline missions? We are both pretty high level as it stands, I think we were actually on the last parts of both, hah.

You can finish all the class stories via f2p

Moff

you guys seem to know more about the discipline system? what is it?

I really hope those hard mode flash points are all new...

you guys seem to know more about the discipline system? what is it?

I really hope those hard mode flash points are all new...

I'm sure they aren't. They specifically say new to the two new tactical flashpoints, but don't label the 4 hardmodes as new. Surely it will be like ROTHC where they just put hardmodes for current story flashpoints. Imagine the 4 last FP's which tie into this new expansion will be the ones made into HM's.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, discipline is sounding exactly like the change WoW made with Cataclysm, which is a great thing for leveling but tends to have less impact at endgame when you would have your full spec available anyway.

StudioTan

Discipline system is similiar to what WoW does with talent points now.

Is that a good thing? I don't play WoW.

They are supposed to be doing a stream tomorrow to show how it works.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh geez, I just saw that 12x xp boost. I guess that's more than enough to let you level a character exclusively through just class missions (as that is all it effects)

The cinematics in the trailer looked phenomenal.... Great to see 2 planets confirmed, level 60 confirmed etc...

There is a live stream tomorrow of the Disciplines system at 2pm CDT. Not staying up for that but am very interested in giving it a look.

StudioTan

Hmmm, interesting. If you pre-order to get the XP buff all your skill upgrades are free. That makes sense considering you wouldn't make enough credits from the class quests alone to pay for them. Cool perk though.

Milly79

Is that a good thing? I don't play WoW.

They are supposed to be doing a stream tomorrow to show how it works.

I didn't play enough to really see if it made a difference or not. It gives you more freedom for sure, but most of the top pvpers generally use the same builds anyway, switching one or two talents or glyphs occasionally.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Might have to buy it just to get that class mission xp boost; that's all I care about in SWTOR these days, I just wanna experience all the class stories without having to do all the planet quests and other things.

Kind of funny reading that discipline blog, read like an exact copy of the WoW dev blog in MoP explaining the removal of skill trees and the new "choose X, Y, or Z" ability system every once in awhile. I'm a fan of what blizzard did though, and agree with both blogs, skill trees with 1 point per level are a thing of the past.

Alur

I knew it was $20, but thought it might have been free for subs. I remember getting Hutt Cartel for free, but that was a while after it came out, I think.

Whateves. Pre-ordered, so gonna do some leveling.

I thought subs paid $5 or $10 for ROTHC pre-order, but I may be wrong on that...I am fairly certain we had to pay something otherwise it wouldn't have been a "pre-order".

EDIT: Yeah I found it. From the help FAQ:

This Digital Expansion is available for the following pre-order prices:

$9.99 for all active subscribers.

$19.99 for all Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.

If you pre-order the Digital Expansion by January 7, 2013 11:59PM CT // 5:59AM GMT, your account will be immediately granted with five (5) days Early Access prior to the Digital Expansion release date.

This 12X EXP boost isn't getting enough love, IMO. You can basically level off of two class quest turn ins at any level, and get a boatload off any of the mission quests on Makeb. Folks in fleet are saying they leveled to 30ish in a matter of 4-5 hours. That is awesome. I always wanted a sniper...and a powertech...and a....

Here's the Dulfy writeup on 12x EXP.

Syf

Banned
You're right, the 12x EXP is an awesome bonus. It feels so much nicer to level and the story is more compelling when you don't have to bother with the side quests that you've already done on other characters. I wish they'd make it permanent for subs or purchasable via the CM.

Alur

I wish they'd make it permanent for subs or purchasable via the CM.

I would gladly have paid $10 for this kind of thing a year ago, agreed.

The double EXP is sweet...but all it really did for me was cause me to rarely ever level unless it was going on at that time.

Stage On

I would gladly have paid $10 for this kind of thing a year ago, agreed.

The double EXP is sweet...but all it really did for me was cause me to rarely ever level unless it was going on at that time.

Same here, the double exp weekends spoiled me and I didn't want to go back to leveling the normal way and got busy doing other stuff and let my sub expire.

12 times xp is a really strong incentive for me to resub for 2 months and just blast thought the game to finish the storylines I hadn't before and it'll end in December which is perfect for me since I'm too busy that month to play anyhow

Top Bottom