• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

can anyone suggest some good money making professions while I level? I just hit 13 on my jedi sentinel.

Simplest extra source of income would be slicing, since its essentially just finding money around the game world as you level without having to do anything else. Crafting for the most part is gonna have you losing money as you level it up and make stuff, if you want to make money, focus on gathering type professions to just sell off the mats for extra income.

vilmer_

Don't see too many people with a Korrealis Sovereign anymore. I remember pvp'ing for a good 2 months at about 10 hours a day to finally be able to get it before it was removed. I think it was valor 65 to buy. Around 55 it became an absolutely HUGE grind.

Heysoos

Wasn't Bioware going to update us on their plans for "better than cross server queues" before the years end?

Can I get an invite? Character name Ab-urham. Smuggler.

Not sure if you've gotten an invite or not, but send me a message here whenever you're on.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Coming months eh.. :(

Hrm. I really don't want to keep giving them money sometimes.

They didn't exactly lay it out but there are some pretty big hints as to their direction in that post.

Heysoos

Peak hours and queues seem to be taking even longer than they were earlier in the day.

Social systems tho.

server community tho

Anyways, does anybody else find it dumb that you can spend like 2 minutes on Yavin and get more crafting mats than what you would get from a purple discovery mission.

server community tho

Anyways, does anybody else find it dumb that you can spend like 2 minutes on Yavin and get more crafting mats than what you would get from a purple discovery mission.

Well you pretty much just get green mats doing Yavin, and yes it's super plentiful right now (I can see them nerfing Yavin resource nodes), the purple missions should get you rarer mats

With slicing it's pretty much free money land, with average of 3k per locked box you find or higher, just running around slicing on Yavin earns money faster than doing any daily runs

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well you pretty much just get green mats doing Yavin, and yes it's super plentiful right now (I can see them nerfing Yavin resource nodes), the purple missions should get you rarer mats

I think he means the gathering professions that don't have rare mats. I just did a wealthy Archeology mission and got 4 red crystals and 8 blue. Oh, joy. Scavenging as well.

Slicing, Treasure Hunting and Underworld Trading are certainly worth it for purples though.

Moff

just a quick question and google didnt answer it
someone told me today that bosses in 16man terror from beyond story mode still drop 4 ultimate comms, but that simply would not make sense to me. so what do they drop?

vilmer_

This was not easy lol.

iGNKj8PhqefAH.jpg

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about jumping back into the game. I havent really played during any of the expansions, so im wondering if they have added any class story content beyond the "main campaign" from the games original release?

Thinking about jumping back into the game. I havent really played during any of the expansions, so im wondering if they have added any class story content beyond the "main campaign" from the games original release?

The expansions and content updates have added general world story line content. The last expansion added one unique quest for each class which follows up your class story.

It's not expected to ever have major expansion to any class stories, they essentially ended with chapter 3 in the base game, they just now have unique dialogue to tie in your character into the general world story, and any unique content will be little things like the exclusive quest they did in Shadows of Revan. To make 8 completely unique storyline class content just requires massive resources, so they will keep doing it like they are now.

Karak

I wonder if these guys will ever do a class expansion though. Like add 2 more classes or something. God that would be awesome.

Moff

well both class quests I did certainly only seem to be the beginning of something greater. I expect them to continue them before the patch/Expansion with
the emperor Operation.

I wonder if these guys will ever do a class expansion though. Like add 2 more classes or something. God that would be awesome.

With how story is tied into the entire leveling experience, I doubt it. Would be a ton of resources all focused on just two new class content and not much room for anything else. They essentially have to release expansions that will please everyone.

well both class quests I did certainly only seem to be the beginning of something greater. I expect them to continue them before the patch/Expansion with
the emperor Operation.

Assume they will do it similar to how they handled this expansion. Did like that they let players experience the whole story solo or via group operation. Instead of having two different story lines like Hutt Cartel, they focused on one and were able to add the class specific quests this time around.

Karak

With how story is tied into the entire leveling experience, I doubt it. Would be a ton of resources all focused on just two new class content and not much room for anything else. They essentially have to release expansions that will please everyone.

I keep reading this but I can't seem to grasp it. Story is tied into many mmo's why would SW be different than say the way Secret World handles it and so forth. I am not sure that making 2-4 extra classes with additional locations for everyone wouldn't be totally feasible. But again I think I am just not grasping what you mean here.

StudioTan

I keep reading this but I can't seem to grasp it. Story is tied into many mmo's why would SW be different than say the way Secret World handles it and so forth. I am not sure that making 2-4 extra classes with additional locations for everyone wouldn't be totally feasible. But again I think I am just not grasping what you mean here.

Nothing is impossible with enough money and time but just adding a single class would mean adding 2 classes since it they would need a mirror for the opposite faction. That's 4 new voice actors for the character and 10 new companions that also need dialogue and voice actors for the majority of them. The are also hamstrung because all the stories basically take you to the same locations both because people need to be easily able to quest with friends and also because they have world quests there except they don't have extra areas in those locations that they can cordon off for new classes. I'm talking about the green areas reserved for class quests.

It's just far too much work. They are just going to be focusing on story content that everyone can play and add class specific flavour to the dialogue and maybe a quest or 2 like they did with SoR.

Moff

a new class is out of the question.
but a new advanced class for each class would not have any of these drawbacks. it could easily be implenentet and add a lof of value to the game. but I don't see them doing that either.

Cystm

a new class is out of the question.
but a new advanced class for each class would not have any of these drawbacks. it could easily be implenentet and add a lof of value to the game. but I don't see them doing that either.

What would a new advanced class for a Sith Warrior or a Jedi Knight be?

Moff

What would a new advanced class for a Sith Warrior or a Jedi Knight be?

I dont know, a monk style class? another melee with special mechanics, like a death knight? using dual sabers?
hell, it could be something completely different, if they can put a stealth/melee/healer in the same class with a cover based ranged DD I don't see them failing at finding a new advanced class for each class.
there are countless possibilties, but that's not the point

all I'm saying is, if they want to add new classes, they could easily (or easier) do it via new advanced classes, so they dont have to add new story, voicework etc.

Each class has about 10-15 hours of unique content in SWTOR. That is quite a bit of content, and it would require them to a TON of work and investment for them to add anymore classes. Now look, an expansion that is class neutral like Hutt and SoR have about 4-5 hours of content.... you notice the problem here?

Now for them to focus on adding new classes would be a huge project bigger than any of their current expansions,and the problem again being that it would be almost solely focused on content for those new classes and their story. Players not interested in those new classes will be stuck with nothing out of such an expansion.

Other MMOs get away with it since there is not major story line attached to your character specifically.

Other problems arise from the amount of voice work needed, as it needs to be done for both male and female, and unique dialogue has to be worked in for many of the old quests in the game since there is many instances of class specific dialogue even in side content.

As others mentioned, a new class is pretty much impossible to add to the game, at best you can add new advanced classes to existing classes.

Milly79

There needs to be a pet/ranged AC. I don't think it'd fit too well into either the BH/IA/Smug or Trooper, so I don't know how it'd work, but it needs to. A Monk style hand-combat would be awesome as well. Sadly, I think Bioware put too many eggs into one basket with the voice acting, like someone else stated. It's sad to see, but with all the lag/FPS dropping since 3.0, it has really taken a hit on Jedi Covenant. I hope Bioware can really get around to making things right, and push out new content, especially PvP.

Felspawn

There needs to be a pet/ranged AC. I don't think it'd fit too well into either the BH/IA/Smug or Trooper, so I don't know how it'd work, but it needs to. A Monk style hand-combat would be awesome as well. Sadly, I think Bioware put too many eggs into one basket with the voice acting, like someone else stated. It's sad to see, but with all the lag/FPS dropping since 3.0, it has really taken a hit on Jedi Covenant. I hope Bioware can really get around to making things right, and push out new content, especially PvP.

A hand to hand combatant? in a world of lightsabers and assault cannons you want a guy using his fists? and your disappointed in Bioware for not catering to this specific request? #entitledgamer With regards to a pet class, every class is a pet class with their follower, if you mean wanting to use them in Ops and flashpoint i say hell no. Best thing Bioware did is not have an Ops wipe because someone lost control of their "Pet". Otherwise if you do wnat that "pet feel" roll a Commando, Load up on presence gear and have at it with M1-4X.

The ability lag issue does suck, i'll grant you that. it ranges from a minor annoyance on planets like Tatooine or Nar Shadda, to making the game practically unplayable on places like Belsavis. as to the rest, yes, lets hope Bioware Austin keeps pumping out content, though if you look at what SWTOR has released in 3 years compared to other MMOs, they are doing pretty well, especially considering how their offices were slashed after launch

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It definitely is a shame that the game/story design makes adding a new class virtually impossible. New classes are among the biggest, bread and butter features of xpacs/updates of MMORPG'S and similar genres (ARPG's, etc), so Bioware is definitely fairly hamstrung in the "generate excitement for potential new content" department compared to other games out there.

Milly79

A hand to hand combatant? in a world of lightsabers and assault cannons you want a guy using his fists? and your disappointed in Bioware for not catering to this specific request? #entitledgamer With regards to a pet class, every class is a pet class with their follower, if you mean wanting to use them in Ops and flashpoint i say hell no. Best thing Bioware did is not have an Ops wipe because someone lost control of their "Pet". Otherwise if you do wnat that "pet feel" roll a Commando, Load up on presence gear and have at it with M1-4X.

The ability lag issue does suck, i'll grant you that. it ranges from a minor annoyance on planets like Tatooine or Nar Shadda, to making the game practically unplayable on places like Belsavis. as to the rest, yes, lets hope Bioware Austin keeps pumping out content, though if you look at what SWTOR has released in 3 years compared to other MMOs, they are doing pretty well, especially considering how their offices were slashed after launch

I don't believe I said I was disappointed in any regard, aside from the lag/fps. I have a merc, among many other classes (have played since launch). A hand to hand combatant is not out of the question, as there is this.

You want entitlement? Go to the swtor forums.

It definitely is a shame that the game/story design makes adding a new class virtually impossible. New classes are among the biggest, bread and butter features of xpacs/updates of MMORPG'S and similar genres (ARPG's, etc), so Bioware is definitely fairly hamstrung in the "generate excitement for potential new content" department compared to other games out there.

They can essentially add new classes via the advances classes fairly easy. Already some advance classes vary greatly from each other for the same class, they could add more that way slowly if they really wanted too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I actually just popped over to the official forums and there seems to have been/be some kind of big exploit flying around right now? Anyone know what is going on? I'm just asking for curiosity's sake, even if it was something I wanted to abuse I am pretty positive the current state of my characters/lack of xpac would make it impossible anyway.

Milly79

I actually just popped over to the official forums and there seems to have been/be some kind of big exploit flying around right now? Anyone know what is going on? I'm just asking for curiosity's sake, even if it was something I wanted to abuse I am pretty positive the current state of my characters/lack of xpac would make it impossible anyway.

Apparently free gear from the new Op without even having to fight the bosses.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Goddamn it im trying to resist the urge to play the new expansion until I'm finally done with WoW but doing progression raiding in WoW looks like it's going to keep me out of SWOTR for at least a few more months.

Is the new expansion wonderful? I've heard it's gotten really good feedback.

Moff

the expansion is good, but lazy. I honestly expected more from a 20$ expansion, especially given that SWTOR is apparently one of the most successful f2p games out there. I don't really see where the money is going.

we got 2 new planets, one is very big and not really pretty and/or detailed.
the second one is beautiful but extremely small, its basically a daily zone.

the 2 newoperations are fine. they are short with little to no trash, which I welcome, but again, doesnt help to feel less lazy.
the main problem is that they are pretty buggy, though.

it offers 2 brand new tactical flashpoints and 4 hard mode flashpoints which were introduced over the last year as tactical flashpoints, again lazy. love manaan though. beautiful flashpoint with great mechanics.

and that's about it, isnt it? not really anything worthwhile similiar to the binocular und scanner quests in the first expansion. zero new pvp content, too. starfighter and space missions seem to be forgotten.

gear progression is again not really well thought out. hard mode flashpoints make little sense, especially because you still get ultimate commendations from 16 man level 55 operations, I dont know what they were thinking.

I already had a bad impression of SWTOR over the last year, I don't see where the money is going. in the year from starfighter to the expansion very little content was released, and 0 if it interested me.

I am having fun with the expansion at the moment, doing operations with my main and leveling my 4 level 55 alts to 60. but still, it feels lazy. I hope the next big patch with
the emperor operation and more class quests
is coming witthin half a year.
the game is also 3 years old. more races and advanced classes or similar additions should be put on the radar.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That is honestly about what I expected after makeb, so that sounds fine by me but I guess I am now in no rush to check it out.

Did classes get revamped this expansion? I heard the old talent tree system (which i thought was horrid because like 90% of the talents in any given tree are required) is basically gone.

Moff

yeah they cloned wow again with the new skill system. you only get to choose 7 passive skills, the rest is set in your "path", as seen in wow specializations. hybrids are no longer possible. the only difference is that there are no active skills in the choosable talents, only passives.

Anoregon

And you get a major spec ability at 10 now, which is nice. Not having to wait till 20 (or even 40) for shit like tracer missile and plasma brand is a good thing.

StudioTan

I already had a bad impression of SWTOR over the last year, I don't see where the money is going. in the year from starfighter to the expansion very little content was released, and 0 if it interested me.

There was a big lull in the middle of the year but in the end they did add a bunch of stuff this year. While it's not for everyone Strongholds added a whole lot of stuff to the game and I've spent many hours with the Strongholds. On top of that that same patch added the Conquest stuff and guild ships which people have been asking for since launch. Unfortunately Conquest doesn't cater to small guilds so again it's not something everyone is participating in but it's a pretty big system.

Plus the 4 new flashpoints which all had story content associated with them.

Then the expansion. I do agree it seems a bit smaller than RotHC since that did at least have the Shroud stuff which was cool. I do think Rishi is really pretty though and the city section is really nicely done if a little small. Yavin is gorgeous. Overall while it's not as long what's there in the expansion is really well done and the cinematics are the best they've ever done.

They put out ok amount of content, main issue was how they paced releasing it all, so we had that huge gap of nothing again like what happened post Makeb expansion. They need to try to pace things out to smaller updates on a more regular basis instead of bigger things that create bit gaps of nothing happening.

SoR feels smaller because of a single storyline instead of two that Makeb had. Playing Imperial side then Pub were completely different experience. The different though being that with SoR instead of just being PvE expansion, they also created all new flashpoints and operations to go with it, while with Makeb it was simply just higher difficulty versions of existing content put out. So the solo pve content was less this time around, but they spreaded it out by creating new group content to go with it.

They did drop the ball it felt cause of Strongholds. While a nice update, it seems like it took lot of resources and its obviously something not everyone is going to get into, but also was a big possible source for cartel market sales too for furniture which has become a thing in every pack now. I kinda like it but don't spend ton of effort on it, so it wasn't a huge success for me. Starfighter was supposed to get some new content which got pushed aside in favor of Stronghold development....

Moff

There was a big lull in the middle of the year but in the end they did add a bunch of stuff this year. While it's not for everyone Strongholds added a whole lot of stuff to the game and I've spent many hours with the Strongholds. On top of that that same patch added the Conquest stuff and guild ships which people have been asking for since launch. Unfortunately Conquest doesn't cater to small guilds so again it's not something everyone is participating in but it's a pretty big system.

I actually love the strongholds, but I only started using them with the expansion, I was just too tired of the old content.
I just wish they would involve it more in the game. what about reputation or experience bonus that comes with prestige? right now it only influences conquests, which is a great idea, too, but very poorly implenented. it needs more and much better rewards. something people care about.
similiar with starfighter. I played it every day in the last two weeks because I wanted the scout decoration, its incredible fun. but again, very poorly involved in the game, its basically completely separated. I was actually surprised people still played it.

stronghols and conquest are a great way to motivate content, but honestly the game needs more content and better balanced rewards. I am really upset that the best and fastest way to get the top tier gear at the moment is to do the easy mode of old operations over and over again. it's not like thats exactly what we were already tired of before the expansion.

Kinda sounds like alot of what the game adds. They add cool stuff, but don't really follow through or support it. Seeker droid stuff? They could have kept supporting it, adding new treasures, dig spots, or other things, instead of just leaving the same pool of loot in it and abandoning it. Bounty Hunting? Sweet.... but how about adding new bounties, new locations, new rewards? Starfighter? Few months of support and then absolutely nothing. Arenas? Strongholds going to be same way? Just new furniture via cartel market but not expanding on it?

They seem to put stuff in the game which gets use for a while and support before they move on and ignore it, instead of expanding on what they have already. Conquests are neat, but is it going to ever get expanded on beyond what we have now? They are adding Yavin and Rishi to it soon, but that's not really much.

Top Bottom