• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

skrilla

Neo Member
So far everyone I've queued rated with dreads Voidstar. This may be because we only have sorcerer healers though. It's definitely guess right or get roasted right off the bat when defending.

i love it that people dread having to actually strategize off the break..

Sorcs are good for it, they can see where things are going and pull players who need a quick ride up the wall, and they also got the sprint to get around quicker than most.

Voidstar used to be so boring as so many games never would leave that first room.

skrilla

Neo Member
Sorcs are good for it, they can see where things are going and pull players who need a quick ride up the wall, and they also got the sprint to get around quicker than most.

Voidstar used to be so boring as so many games never would leave that first room.

You wouldn't happen to be on the bastion/imp side would you?

Alur

i love it that people dread having to actually strategize off the break..

Run into a couple teams using the group stealth and predation in rated who double back after showing one side or the other, you'll see what I'm saying. It's not entirely a crapshoot, but it's about as much fun to me as Civil War, which is on the same level as grinding furbolgs in Winterspring for Timbermaw rep.

We have been splitting 4 and 4 or 5 and 3 with more beef on the 3 side, but it's not exactly a perfect science. It depends entirely on what exactly it is they send and if you have the classes and players to counter.

We sent 2 tanks 2 heals one side and all our dps the other and took the door within a matter of seconds in one rated game, and it has also worked other times just not as quickly, because they made the mistake of putting their heals on the side we showed first. We've went 2-3 in there, but it went from the top of the list to riding in the back of the truck with CW for me.

Heysoos

Nothing makes me close the game fucking faster and any will to play for the day than random disconnects. Hate it so fucking much. Once it does it, I just can't stand playing so I quit. Ugh.

And it always happens in the middle of fucking Warzones, which is the worst. I don't even know how I'm going to play rankeds when I have to worry about just randomly getting kicked off the server and losing rank when the game does this stupid shit.

skrilla

Neo Member
Run into a couple teams using the group stealth and predation in rated who double back after showing one side or the other, you'll see what I'm saying. It's not entirely a crapshoot, but it's about as much fun to me as Civil War, which is on the same level as grinding furbolgs in Winterspring for Timbermaw rep.

We have been splitting 4 and 4 or 5 and 3 with more beef on the 3 side, but it's not exactly a perfect science. It depends entirely on what exactly it is they send and if you have the classes and players to counter.

We sent 2 tanks 2 heals one side and all our dps the other and took the door within a matter of seconds in one rated game, and it has also worked other times just not as quickly, because they made the mistake of putting their heals on the side we showed first. We've went 2-3 in there, but it went from the top of the list to riding in the back of the truck with CW for me.

So, it went from your most liked to least liked over that 20 foot (give or take) wall divider? I think you have to at least admit that something needed to be done with the first stage... nothing is more infuriating than to kill 6 out of 8 ppl on 1 side just to have an inquisitor force speed his ass over to my side and interrupt my plant at 7.9999 seconds...

Alur

No, Civil War is and always will be my least favorite. The day they implement Novare like capping or some other sort of mechanic to spice it up will be a great day indeed.

As for the new Voidstar, I have enjoyed it the times we've played normal, which is admittedly small so far. It's a huge advantage over the unsuspecting pug group. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference cap wise with the first door as far as zerg interrupting. Teams we've played still do it, as have we at times.

The great thing though, like you're saying, is when you're attacking they can't keep up the door block zerg forever. The wall does a great job at creating confusion and uncertainty.

Dunlop

Man for all my bitching about things I dislike about the Hero Engine (read: practically everything) my framerate was always good.

...until 1.3 and now my game plays like complete horsh*t no matter what changes I do to my video settings.

My sub ends in 18 days, was planning one renewing amonth until GW2 hits, not so much now

Heysoos

Man for all my bitching about things I dislike about the Hero Engine (read: practically everything) my framerate was always good.

...until 1.3 and now my game plays like complete horsh*t no matter what changes I do to my video settings.

My sub ends in 18 days, was planning one renewing amonth until GW2 hits, not so much now

My game runs better since 1.3 lol. And that's with all the settings on highest.

Cystm

I don't know why that is. Since the 1.3 optimizations I've had my framerate improve 20 fps while at Max.

I'm on pretty outdated hardware too.

Q6600 quadcore 3.2ghz
8 gigs ram
560 ti gtx
ancient ass cavier green

===========================================================================================================================================================

U0eSQTM.png

Welcome, one and all, to the United States Association Football thread. Herein, we will engage in discussions regarding all things soccer
in or about America's teams or players. Soccer is constantly growing it's fan base in the US and has seen an ever increasing climb in
popularity. Because of this expanding interest across the country, there are many teams and leagues and things happening on a daily
basis. The hope is this thread will consolidate discussion and reduce overlap from splinter threads. As a secondary benefit, we should be
able to excite people about other aspects of American Soccer they may not be aware of. Thirdly, anyone who is just beginning with US
soccer can have a place to come and jump into talking about what interests them without wondering where to go and do it.

Our goal is to be all encompassing. All leagues and things happening in the world of soccer in The States or abroad that relates to US
Soccer or players is welcome.

The discussion will include, but is not limited to: US Men's and Women's National Teams, men's and women's professional
leagues (MLS, NWSL, NASL, USL PRO, etc.), college seasons/teams/players, American players on foreign clubs, and
developing youth players.

As a consideration to our neighbors to the north who also share in American domestic leagues, we will be including discussion
regarding Canada and all her teams and players.

Join in the mayhem and let your passion be known!

----- Table of Contents -----
Quick links to each subsection.

General Knowledge and FAQ
  • What is FIFA, and why do I care?
  • What is CONCACAF, and why do I care?
  • What is the United States Soccer Federation (USSF)?
  • What is a Supporter's Group?
  • What exactly is "Offside"?
  • A list of helpful terms
Important Tournaments:
  • FIFA World Cup
  • FIFA Confederations Cup
  • Summer Olympics
  • CONCACAF Gold Cup
  • CONCACAF Champions League
  • FIFA Club World Cup
  • US Open Cup
National Teams:
- US Men's National Team (USMNT)
- US Women's National Team (USWNT)

Men's Teams and Leagues:
- Major League Soccer (MLS - Men's Division I)
- North American Soccer League (NASL - Men's Division II)
- USL Professional Division (USL PRO - Men's Division III)
- Men's Indoor Soccer League (MISL)

Women's Teams and Leagues:
- National Women's Soccer League (NWSL)

The Canada Addendum
  • Canada Soccer Association
  • Men's National Team
  • Women's National Team
  • League Teams
  • Important Tournaments
World Cup Broadcast Schedule (US Channels: ESPN and ABC)

We're all friends here united in a common bond. Enjoy your stay, and as always...​

bMvnPeM.png

skrilla

Neo Member

I would upgrade your video drivers to the newest beta drivers for either amd/ati or nvidia as both sets have shown improved performance...

Dunlop

I'll try to update the drivers this weekend, most people I know had improvements with the patch which is why my prefermance taking a nosedive is pretty funny.

Like I said my sub ends this month so I am not too concerned, but I had been having fun in PVP since the merge (and there are actual pops) and thought to keep doing this until GW2

Yea I got a performance increase in alot of areas with 1.3

1.2 improved stuff as well quite a bit, if they keep going at this rate, the game might play great someday :p

Draxal

Today's q and a is up. No eta on dual spec is really disheartening (group finder would benefit so much from this).

And honestly, I hope they wait a bit before doing an event again. Wait for the shine of 1.3 to wear off a bit, ranked warzones/lfg (due to black hole comms) plus server transfers added enough spark to the game right now. I really don't want a repeat of 1.2.

Alur

And honestly, I hope they wait a bit before doing an event again. Wait for the shine of 1.3 to wear off a bit, ranked warzones/lfg (due to black hole comms) plus server transfers added enough spark to the game right now. I really don't want a repeat of 1.2.

There is wisdom in this statement. We're just greedy is all :p.

It'd be nice to bring one in about three weeks in or something, maybe even a month.

skrilla

Neo Member
Anyone know how long it would take me to get from social level 1 to 3? Also, if i run through regular mode black talon at a high level would it yield me the same amount of social level points?

Cystm

Anyone know how long it would take me to get from social level 1 to 3? Also, if i run through regular mode black talon at a high level would it yield me the same amount of social level points?

should not be too much trouble at all with group finder.

==================================================================================================================================================

What is FIFA, and why should I care?
The "Fédération Internationale de Football Association", simply called FIFA, is the world's governing body for soccer. It is currently made
up of two hundred and nine member nations. FIFA maintains the rules of the game and organize the major international tournaments
across the globe. For all intents and purposes, they are the law regarding soccer worldwide. The beginnings of FIFA are traced to the
early 1900s when it became apparent an overarching body was needed to manage play between international opponents. The charter
memeber nations formed the association. They were France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
England was the next to join soon after followed by South Africa in 1909, Argentine and Chile in 1912 and the US and Canada in 1913.

As a subset, the participating member nations are broken up into six Confederations. They are; the Asian Football Confederation (AFC),
Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF), Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football
(CONCACAF), Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (CONMEBOL), Oceania Football Confederation (OFC), and Union des
Associations Européennes de Football (UEFA).

The United States belongs to the CONCACAF group. How teams do in CONCACAF play is extremely important and directly determines
how or if we qualify for larger competitions.

The elected board officials for FIFA are generally thought to be corrupt, regularly making backroom decisions and deals based on who
lined their pockets with cash. Despite the high worker death rates on construction sites and the ridiculous heat there will be during the
games, they are still planning on keeping the World Cup in Qatar for 2022 since they can't and don't want to give their bribes back. They
are headed by Sepp Blatter, who clearly takes massive amounts of dirty money and is also a well known ball of garbage.

What is CONCACAF, and why should I care?
There are forty one member nations in the CONCACAF group. Each member nation has a National Team that is made up of citizens from
that Nation. For the US Men's and Women's National teams, CONCACAF qualifying play is the start of the long path to the World Cup and
the Olympics. Beyond that, there's also a CONCACAF specific National Team tournament called the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

US Men's and Women's National teams have become a real force in CONCACAF play of late. The US Men's Team placed #1 in World
Cup Qualifying in our group for this year's World Cup and are ranked #13 in the world. The US Women's Team has been nothing short
of dominant over CONCACAF and World Cup play, and are currently ranked #1 in the world. They have won 6 of the last 8 CONCACAF
Gold Cup tournaments, won 2 of the last 6 World Cup tournaments, and won 4 of the last 5 Olympic Gold Medal games. The year they
didn't win Gold in the Olympics, they still made it to the Gold Medal game and took second.

Besides National Teams, Club teams (MLS/NASL/etc) also have dealings with CONCACAF. A Club team is a team created of contract
players from any nationality. While trying to win their respective leagues for trophies and recognition, Club teams can qualify for
other, larger stage tournaments by placing in certain positions in their league (MLS) or winning a domestic tournament (US Open Cup).
These other tournaments feature other CONCACAF Club teams that play in other member nation leagues. In soccer, tournaments and
leagues lead to other tournaments and still other tournaments. As an example, let's look at Sporting Kansas City of MLS.

In 2012, during the MLS season, SKC won the US Open Cup, a US domestic knockout tournament. Winning that tournament, or having a
certain MLS league standing at the end of the season, earned them a place in a competition called the CONCACAF Champion's League or
CCL. The teams in CCL play in 2013 and 2014. The winner of the CCL, moves onto the 2014 FIFA Club World Cup, which determines the
top club in the world. The road is tough and it's a long shot, but playing well in a tournament in 2012 entered them into another tournament.
Winning that tournament could lead to another tournament, and it all began two years ago, and it all went through CONCACAF.

AW7lCFS.png

United States Soccer Federation
The United States Soccer Federation (USSF), commonly referred to as U.S. Soccer, is the official governing body of the sport of soccer in the
United States. With headquarters in Chicago, Illinois, the FIFA member governs U.S. amateur and professional soccer, including the men's,
women's, youth, beach soccer, futsal and Paralympic national teams. U.S. Soccer sanctions referees and soccer tournaments for most
soccer leagues in the United States. The U.S. Soccer Federation also administers and operates the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which was
first held in 1914.

U.S. Soccer was originally known as the United States Football Association. It formed on April 5, 1913 and on August 15 of that year was
accepted as one of the earliest member organizations of FIFA and the first from North and Central America. The affiliation was temporary and
at the following year's FIFA Congress in 1914, the USFA, as it was abbreviated at the time, was accepted as a full FIFA member. The
governing body of the sport in the United States added the word soccer to its name in 1945, when it became the United States Soccer
Football Association. It dropped the word football from its name in 1974 to become known as the United States Soccer Federation.​

ln9HXxa.png

Supporters Groups
Supporters groups or supporters clubs are independent fan clubs in association football, particularly in English speaking counties.
Supporters groups in Europe are generally known as Ultras which derives from the Latin word deriving from ultra, meaning beyond in
English, with the implication that their enthusiasm is 'beyond' the normal. In English speaking nations, these groups are generally
known as "supporters groups".

Supporters groups and their members are the emotional backbone of the club. They provide Tifo and chants to support their clubs while
simultaneously trying to taunt and intimidate the opposing side. In some cases, members "live and die" with their team's performance on
the field and will feel the game very deeply like Portland Timbers fan, Sadsack McMantears.

Mr. McMantears saw his team eliminated at home during the 2nd leg of the Western Conference Championships against Real Salt Lake
and he shed many, many tears. After the game he was admitted to a local hospital and given an IV drip to replace the massive amount
of fluids he lost due to his Pseudobulbar episode.

Timbers-Army.gif

What is a Tifo?
Originally the Italian word for the phenomenon of supporting a sport team, is mostly used as a name for any choreography displayed by fans in the stands of an arena or stadium in connection with a sport event, mostly as part of an association football match.
Examples:

kb8TJIR.png

What exactly is Offside?
First off, for the record, the term is Offside, with no s at the end. They call it Offsides in the NFL, but in the soccer world its Offside.

This rule is usually the biggest sticking point to people who are new to watching soccer...the understanding of the offside rule. If
you are a new fan, learn this before you learn anything else because you'll be less frustrated watching matches:

"A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met:
First, the player must be in the opposing team's half of the field.
Second, the player must be in front of the ball.
And Third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line, with the goalkeeper counting as an
opposing player for these purposes. It is not necessary that the goalkeeper be one of the last two opponents.

Any attacker that is level with or behind the ball is not in an offside position and may never be sanctioned for an offside offence.
The 2005 edition of the Laws of the Game included a new International Football Association Board decision that stated being "nearer to
an opponent's goal line" meant that "any part of his head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and
the second-last opponent (the last opponent typically being the goalkeeper)." This is taken to mean that any part of the attacking
player named in this decision has to be past the part of the second-last defender closest to his goal line and past the part of the
ball closest to the defenders' goal line.​

Got it? If you're still having trouble, let John Cleese explain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmC9JOcaofI
RdCgClF.png

A list of helpful terms
6 yard box - The smaller rectangular box in front of goal.
18 yard box - The large rectangular box in front of goal.
Card, Carded - Punitive action taken by a referee in a game against a player.
Cracker - Long range power shot.
Dos a cero - In recent and important head to head matches in Columbus Ohio, the USMNT has defeated Mexico 2-0. "Dos a cero" is "2 to
0" in Spanish and is used as a taunt against the Mexico team and fans. This scoreline prevailed in 2001, 2005, 2009 and now 2013 World Cup
Qualifying games in Ohio.
GOAT - Greatest Of All Time!
Goats - Another term for Chivas Guadalajara and Chivas USA. Chivas literally means goat in Spanish.
Nutmeg or 'meg' - To pass a ball between an opponents legs.
Scudetto - This means "little shield" in Italian. It is a jersey badge worn by the defending MLS champions the season after victory.
Tifo - Also an Italian term meaning "the phenomenon of supporting a sport team". It has come to mean the painted banners displayed
before and during a game, made by the Supporters Groups for thier team.
Touch line - Out of bounds. The limit of the field.
Ultras - A different word for a Supporter.​

Effect

Do Flashpoints scale up are they always at a set level? Meaning there is no point in doing them once you leave a planet? Are there any plans on making have difficulty ranges if they already don't?

Do Flashpoints scale up are they always at a set level? Meaning there is no point in doing them once you leave a planet? Are there any plans on making have difficulty ranges if they already don't?

Flashpoints have a set level as noted in your quest log. Generally they have no bearing to the planets, you can do them whenever. You still get decent look and exp for doing them usually within 5 lvls of the FPs lvl

Downed Kephess tonight.

As Azura said: "most hollow victory I've ever experienced."

But I'll leave that alone.

Can't even be fucked to beat Hard Karagga to get the Nightsycthe, using it would just remind me of the underhanded betrayal involved.

Hindsight is making me wish I had wiped us hard.

I will 100% make sure that you are replaced with Sera and Areo.

Gonna be hard to find a replacement now I think.

Milly79

Can't even be fucked to beat Hard Karagga to get the Nightsycthe, using it would just remind me of the underhanded betrayal involved.

Hindsight is making me wish I had wiped us hard.

Gonna be hard to find a replacement now I think.

It was completely fucked, but let's not drag down the thread.

Alur

I'll just leave this here. And for the record, no, I do not think it will happen. I have reverted back to pessimism, it always left me surprised to the upside at least.

They are better off to wait if they have one, like Draxal said. Who knows if they will follow through though...anyone with a brain working on this game should realize it would be a huge boon for them and entice the people playing to keep playing, and maybe bring a few more back.

Having more interesting color crystals and pets and mounts to chase is always a good thing.

HBroward

Another nice change is getting social points for downing things in boss fights. I went from social 8 to 9 just doing the Kephess battle over a period of 2-3 days while our tanks got their roles down.

Alur

Another nice change is getting social points for downing things in boss fights. I went from social 8 to 9 just doing the Kephess battle over a period of 2-3 days while our tanks got their roles down.

I'm still Valor 86 with Social 1 :( So embarassing. I wish I had gotten credit for all that raiding and world bossing we did in GAF Empire.

Yup my social status has been garbage and them doing two raids in a row, my social ranking has finally moved quite a bit. Was always dumb that raids gave pretty much no social points when its one of the most social aspects a person does in the game.

Top Bottom