• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrMister said:
Okay so, apparently a stat tracker on sc2sig says I'm supposed to be just under Platinum level (Although I may have misread it) right now! Yet I still think I suck
at macro
:lol
Actually, the guy I just beat, Ayojin, was a platinum player, and when I looked at the chart for the game, our army value throughout the first 15 minutes of the match are virtually identical, even though is APM was in the 100's and mine in the high 30's. Shit guys, I think I may actually be platinum 1v1 material. That would explain the stat tracker and why I haven't been promoted yet, barring the fact I just don't play 1v1 ladder often.

Most diamond players I play don't have an average APM of 100. I would say mid-diamond players average around 60-70 for Terran/Protoss and 80-90 for Zerg. If you seen Plat or below with APM over 100 they're just spamming. It means very little.

TheThunder said:

For bronze - plat, if I'm going up against Protoss I just assume he's going voids (unless I scout otherwise) and tech up to hydras. Once you get about 5-6 hydras they just destroy void rays so badly. Whenever I see a void ray I just laugh because they do the exact same thing every time: send one to your extractor and start charging up, I send 6 hydras under the void ray and kill it instantly, his 2nd void will pop at this time but be completely useless, I push and win.

Unfortunately void rays completely disappear in high plat / diamond so I don't get those free wins anymore :(

vicissitudes said:
For bronze - plat, if I'm going up against Protoss I just assume he's going voids (unless I scout otherwise) and tech up to hydras. Once you get about 5-6 hydras they just destroy void rays so badly. Whenever I see a void ray I just laugh because they do the exact same thing every time: send one to your extractor and start charging up, I send 6 hydras under the void ray and kill it instantly, his 2nd void will pop at this time but be completely useless, I push and win.

Unfortunately void rays completely disappear in high plat / diamond so I don't get those free wins anymore :(
The problem is that I sit why too long in my base building Hydras and Void Rays are one of those unit that once you hit a certain number they become unstoppable.

TheThunder said:
The problem is that I sit why too long in my base building Hydras and Void Rays are one of those unit that once you hit a certain number they become unstoppable.
nah equal food of hydras will take down voids, well a moving both armies that is, just gotta expo expo expo if he is building up to his mass ball you should have no trouble restocking faster than he can and if your expoing brings him out of his turtle you will whittle him down bit by bit. Hydras also kill cannons(and everything else ) very very fast so dont be afraid to push with them (a couple of roaches to tank at the front is even better), there not as slow as alotta people like to say.

Yup check your replays. If you're staying ahead in income (as you should be) and macroing well, pushing anytime between when your first hydras pop and when he gets 12-15 void rays and you'll win. A void-ray army fighting straight-up is hilariously bad unless there are 12+ but it takes so long to get there on one or two stargates. They're only really good when you rush one or two out early and charges them up before your opponent has enough anti-air. One charged void ray actually beats two uncharged void rays straight up, pretty amazing.

evangd007

MrMister said:
Sweet! I just won my first 1v1 game as Random! I rolled Terran so it ended up being a TvT. Was an odd TvT though...

Here's the replay of said match...
SC2Replayed uploader is down so I used gamereplays.org this time...

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/repimgs/repimg-33-156667.jpg[img][/url]

[url=http://sc2sig.com/profile/us/1246791/1/MrMister/][img]http://sc2sig.com/s/us/1246791-1.png[img][/url][/QUOTE]

MrMister, I die a little inside whenever I see a wall-off in TvT. Please never do that again.

vicissitudes said:

That might work in Bronze but overall isn't a healthy strategy. If you're worried about Void Rays, mass Queens. By the time his first VRs enter your base you can easily have 3 Queens with a 4th on the way. If you rush to Hydras out of pure fear, he can easily swamp you with ground units.

Get your Queens, expand, mass your speedlings. If you see he's going heavy Zealot, get some Roaches. You can tech to Hydras or Mutas, I prefer Mutas because you can contain Toss with them pretty easily

clav

TheThunder said:
FUCK !!

Just lost a game to a Protoss who cannoned his front and built Void rays.I got Hydralisk even before scouting the voids but still lost because apparently 20 or so void rays are un stopple

I want to break stuff.
Did you scout for expansions? If you contain the Protoss to one base only and deny any expansion, you'll have the game regardless. You'll be able to mass so much more. It sounds like you guessed void rays because of canons. Did you actually see his tech? The zerg have a lot of scouting units to their disposal, and some protoss players mass colossus. You were "lucky" that you guessed void rays.

As for unit composition, I think queens + corruptors would have been the better answer over hydras. Plus with a spire you can opt to build mutalisks to contain the protoss so you can play the macro game. Hydras don't really move fast even on creep, so the Protoss will just have fun containing you with void rays.

Show us a replay, and you can learn more.

Zzoram

I can't wait to watch GSL Open 2. I hope they'll FINALLY have that iPhone app ready by then (but I'm starting to think they cancelled the whole project).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
syllogism said:
I didn't realize Emp is range 10 while feedback/storm are 9. They should nerf it to 9.
Well then HTs would counter the units that counter them. Feedback already sort of does that with only 1 range difference.

Storm against all infantry and feedback against medivacs, banshees, ravens, thors and battlecruisers already makes them fantastic against just about everything, big or small. Except tanks maybe.

Snow

ultron87 said:
Didn't someone on TL offer a big cash prize to the first person to get Solo Zen Master? Who ended up getting that?
Wasn't one of the stipulations that you couldn't get it by doing cheesy stuff (I think pretty much everyone that has it did so by worker rushing)? So not sure if anyone actually has it yet.

BuRT!

Where can I download the terran scanner sweep to use as a ringtone? Ringroid doesn't read the file downloaded from the SC2 site :(

eosos

Banned
elostyle said:
Well then HTs would counter the units that counter them. Feedback already sort of does that with only 1 range difference.

Storm against all infantry and feedback against medivacs, banshees, ravens, thors and battlecruisers already makes them fantastic against just about everything, big or small. Except tanks maybe.
Yeah but nothing counters emp.

Pikelet

Been practicing a lot with fast expand as terran. I know it isn't the safest strat in the world but in gold people don't usually scout it for a while.

Just had a game where i fast expanded and the protoss player countered by destroying my entire base except for my two orbital commands and a factory that i couldn't land. I took both island expansions and massed vikings. He goes voids and doesn't get anywhere but he still has a crapload of stalkers so i can't really prevent him from expanding twice. Keep in mind that at one point in the game he had an entire army of stalkers/immortals/zealots and 34 probes against my 0 scv's and no army. i keep defending until i can build up a sizable army of marauders, medivacs, vikings and battleships. I attack his base from both sides simultaneously and manage to win the game. So satisfying to completely turn a game around by predicting him going all voids and carriers. I whispered him right after the game finished to tell him that he could have blinked to my island and killed me incredibly easily early on.

Feels good

spoon!

ahhh ah ah ah ah ah ahhhh ahhah ahaaah ahhhhhhh and the planetary fortress goes up

did he...? he DID. he just drew a drone....with his drone :lol

Compositions for Day9's Funday Monday Cast:

Game 1: Sentry/Sentry/Battlecruiser
Game 2: Stalker/Roach/Reaper
Game 3: Raven/Immortal/Broodlord/Carriers (started with a 3 worker rush from each player, pretty sweet)

Next week's rules for Funday Monday:
You have to play in a FFA and you must kill your opponents in alphabetical order. Can fight to defend your main, but cannot battle them in the middle of the field if it's the wrong guy.

Holy shit...I think I'll pass.

So the trend on Funday monday is to "Lose your whole fucking base" and make a come back. :lol

(Looks like I'll never be the target first! Mine starts with Water)

Ryn

Aww I was really hoping one of my replays got picked for Day9's thing tonight :(
We did a 3v3 Marine/Ravens/Dark Templars, it was pretty crazy.

Aon

I tried an FFA and because it's a Funday, I decided to play protoss for the first time. I first defeated Antoni, then Madog then Mouldy someone! All good! First game as toss and not only did I win but I completed a Funday :D

Then I realized Madog had one more probe left and was building a million nexuses. I almost did you proud, Day9...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
jacobs34 said:
Noob question. How do view replays downloaded off of the internet?
You should just be able to double click them. Click "play as guest" for the fastest viewing.

Just did a 4v4 random where two of my teammates dropped immediately...but I gotta say I think that worked out better for me and the toss who stayed. Was able to get 4 barracks 2 starport straight off the bat by macroing our afkers and my teammate did a hilarious cannon rush with his bonus minerals. By the time they could fight back from my MMM drops the toss had mass void rays. It was awesome because the whole time the other team was telling us to stop wasting their time and to leave.

I actually prefer afk teammates to the ones who just turtle in their base making 30 cannons and nothing else.

jacobs34

Dance In My Blood said:
You should just be able to double click them. Click "play as guest" for the fastest viewing.

It keeps coming up with an error message that says I can't load SC2 replays in the SC2 format. Whatever that means.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
jacobs34 said:
It keeps coming up with an error message that says I can't load SC2 replays in the SC2 format. Whatever that means.
Right click, go to "Open With" make sure it's set to "Blizzard Launcher". Only thing I can think of.

jacobs34

Aquavelvaman said:
Is windows giving you this error or the starcraft client?

I'm actually on a Mac, and yes it's the mac that is showing the error message, not SC2. Do I need to download some kind of 3rd party client to get replays to work on a mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom