• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaltagesta said:
I am getting absolutely hammered in the final mission of the campaign. I get to about 60-70% charge, and I just get over-run. I've tried using a ton of siege tanks, tried using a ton of air power, tried using a ton of the hive mind manipulator things, though that requires a hell of a lot of macro, and I've tried combinations of these and I'm just stuck!

Any tips? I did the anti-air mission btw, so the only air power I'm up against is the pointless floating things.

I just built a bunch of engineering bays (since they have so much hp) on my perimeter to block out all ground troops and had a bunch of scvs sitting around to repair. Put a bunch of seige tanks behind them with a couple hive mind manipulators to mind control any ultras that come. Then built a bunch of banshees to take out all the nydus worms. It was pretty easy and I used this strategy on hard btw.

IceMarker

So yeah, I give up, Shadow Assault is at 16 games an hour. Even if I update the map, I probably will never reach that level of popularity again without a miracle. Hopefully my next major map release will be more fortunate...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
vicissitudes said:
HD Starcraft came to Berkeley today to cast a tournament here. Cool to see him in person. Finals was a best out of 7, during game 6 the spectator disconnected so we went into the players' rooms to watch them finish the game. Got to see a 1800+ diamond Zerg player in action, it was awesome :D
Damn. I want to go to one of these, berkley isn't far from here. I missed a local intel lanfest due to work. Going to blizzcon though so I hope I can see some people.

FoxSpirit

MrMister said:
So yeah, I give up, Shadow Assault is at 16 games an hour. Even if I update the map, I probably will never reach that level of popularity again without a miracle. Hopefully my next major map release will be more fortunate...

Awwww....
*pat on back*

Look at it this way, that still means over 100 games per day are played which isn't so bad. :)

@h0pper: megaupload, mediafire etc

Spl1nter

MrMister said:

Us GAFers could just game the system. Just starting and quitting games to bump up the games per hour.

ultron87

h0pper said:
thanks FoxSpirit.

here is the replay: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A07PBZS0

running out the gym for a little. hopefully that will give you guys some time to take a look. thanks for the help.

Always be building an SCV. Seriously. It'll help your game out so much.

Think how much better your economy could've been when you built that expansion if you could've transferred 20 SCVs to it immediately instead of the 5 you sent in that game once it was up.

There's some other things I could mention like you having a medivac during that first attack but just leaving it at your base, or not getting stim, but it that's all tiny nitpicks next to getting a good economy going.

When I decided to really focus on always having a probe in production at all times it was astonishing how many more games I started to win. You can do it too!

Biff

So I don't really know where to post this but I figured many may have experience in the SC2 thread..

Any of you guys use a mechanical keyboard?

Thoughts? Better than membrane? Noticeable difference in gaming?

Zzoram

Glad Boxer [T](manofoneway) qualified for GSL Open 2 Ro64. Apparently JulyZerg [Z](fantaprime) got knocked out.

So far 5 out of 32 qualified are Zerg, 11 are Protoss and 16 are Terran. A lot of the best players of last Open 1 are in the second half of the qualifiers, so there is a good chance some of them will eliminate each other before the Ro64 which would suck.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
ultron87 said:
Always be building an SCV. Seriously. It'll help your game out so much.

Think how much better your economy could've been when you built that expansion if you could've transferred 20 SCVs to it immediately instead of the 5 you sent in that game once it was up.

There's some other things I could mention like you having a medivac during that first attack but just leaving it at your base, or not getting stim, but it that's all tiny nitpicks next to getting a good economy going.

When I decided to really focus on always having a probe in production at all times it was astonishing how many more games I started to win. You can do it too!

yeah, my macro is awful. I really need to work on that more.

Boken

Banned
Raelson said:
Omg, so many Zergs on the ladder. Where are they coming from!?

I know! My past few games have been largely ZvZ (and I suck at ZvZ -_-)

MrMister, its probably easier to make "competitive" games more popular - co-operative games are often longer in length and less dynamic (as it is PvE). They also often have less replay value compared to competitive games. Plus, people just want to fight each other!

h0pper said:
yeah, my macro is awful. I really need to work on that more.

Try working on improving it. Macro is a huuuge part of this game. Just ignore the other player even, just make the same unit combo (as long as its balanced) and keep macroing baby!

Zzoram said:
Glad Boxer [T](manofoneway) qualified for GSL Open 2 Ro64. Apparently JulyZerg [Z](fantaprime) got knocked out. So far 5 out of 32 qualified are Zerg.

I'm not surprised though (re: Julyzerg's result) I've watched a lot of his games and he doesn't seem super crash hot. Especially when people view Zerg as a little weaker right now.

roxya

Kaltagesta said:
I am getting absolutely hammered in the final mission of the campaign. I get to about 60-70% charge, and I just get over-run. I've tried using a ton of siege tanks, tried using a ton of air power, tried using a ton of the hive mind manipulator things, though that requires a hell of a lot of macro, and I've tried combinations of these and I'm just stuck!

Any tips? I did the anti-air mission btw, so the only air power I'm up against is the pointless floating things.

Are you taking out the nydus worms quickly? I had a fleet of Banshees for taking out the ones that pop up far away, and the ones that popped close would be taken out by a single Battlecruiser.

If you let them stay up, each wave that comes out of them gets stronger and stronger.

Zen

Banned
MrMister said:

16 games per hour is actually pretty good man! Sure you're not breaker records or anything, but the game is being played and enjoyed consistently.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Spl1nter said:
Us GAFers could just game the system. Just starting and quitting games to bump up the games per hour.
Does that actually work?

I played it last night a few times. Tried brutal but got owned solo at start :lol

Won

Come on Counterstrike. End already!

Also MrMister. I don't think you gave me an updated verison of your map yet, or did I miss something?

Biff

MrMister said:
I just played it for my first time and loved it!

Have you posted a thread on Team Liquid's SC2 forum? Try that. You may see a huge influx of users once word spreads there.

Now as for my playthrough, here are a few things I wanted to comment on:
- The level of difficulty (normal) is really good. Judging by my map vision, I got maybe 1/3 of the way through the game when I lost. I made some silly mistakes but still, it was challenging in a good way.

- There isn't enough distinction between which abilities can be used only be the Ghost and only by the Spectre. I accidently bought upgrades for the Spectre while only having a Ghost because I didn't read the little description close enough! Perhaps colour the keyword 'Ghost' or 'Spectre' in the description of each ability to make it stand out more?

- The enemies made it to my base and killed my two buildings. I tried to run back in time but couldn't make it.... Then, when I went back to exploring, I jumped in a teleporter I had already found that took me right back to my base. Oops. If I would have known that's what the teleporter did, I would have used it! I thought it was a door switch, and I didn't want to let more enemies in when I first found it. Perhaps a little popup telling me what the teleporter does would be useful?

- Finally, when I lost the game, I didn't get a Game Over screen or defeated screen or anything. I had lost my 2 buildings, and both my Spectre and my Ghost. I had no units and no way to build more units. Anyway you can code in a 'Defeat' clause into your game?

Overall, just a really polished, fun game. Do consider posting it to TL before you give up.

And make sure you put this on your resume. I don't know if you do this as a hobby or because you want this to be your profession, but you're quite talented and the work is solid. Should be mentioned somewhere in your CV, including the total # of plays your game has received through B.net.

Good luck!

V_Arnold said:
Bunkers before tanks. SCV's near bunkers and tanks, stuck there. Fire aoe turrets (Perdition turret) in any place between bunkers but BEFORE tanks. Tanks on high ground, defended by a missile turret or two to kill overlords that might allow nydus to come in.

Have a medium-sized army in your base to kill the popping nydus.
And that should be it. Use tank mercenaries, use upgrades on building armor, on mech damage.

roxya said:
Are you taking out the nydus worms quickly? I had a fleet of Banshees for taking out the ones that pop up far away, and the ones that popped close would be taken out by a single Battlecruiser.

If you let them stay up, each wave that comes out of them gets stronger and stronger.

Azwethinkweiz said:
I just built a bunch of engineering bays (since they have so much hp) on my perimeter to block out all ground troops and had a bunch of scvs sitting around to repair. Put a bunch of seige tanks behind them with a couple hive mind manipulators to mind control any ultras that come. Then built a bunch of banshees to take out all the nydus worms. It was pretty easy and I used this strategy on hard btw.

syllogism said:
If you've planetary fortress researched, just make a bunch of those at chokes and later even by the artifact and you'll barely lose any units at all, even on brutal. I suppose even regular CCs might work since you'll have a bunch of tanks behind them anyway.

Thanks guys! I got it in the end. Went for the engineering bay route in the end, though even that I found pretty tricky, took a few attempts to get it nailed. I think my problem was that I spent too much time building up the buildings and not enough putting in firepower, so I'd end up with times where I'd have hoardes of zerg attacking my engineering bays, and only like a single siege tank battering back. So I went for a one-defense-one-attack build order and it seemed to work a bit better, as well as boosting my air power a lot.

Thanks!

Damn you, Tychus!

jasonng

MrMister said:

Don't do it for the fame, do it for the love of the
star
craft. Shadow Assault is a very fun map. take comfort in knowing you have folks here who appreciate your work.

cdyhybrid

Good god, when is this patch coming out...so tired of being forced to go Muta every game to have a chance. This is actually making me consider resubbing WoW, it's that fucking bad. Silly me trying anything other than muta/ling.

Deadman said:
Global Gamers Invitational

TT1 vs TLO,
IdrA vs Capoch,
DIMAGA vs Dark.forcE,
Stalife vs HuK

http://www.ustream.tv/iccuptv

(Matches not in that order. They are pre-recorded but new matches)

Nice ZvZ, love Dimaga's queen usage.

cdyhybrid said:
Good god, when is this patch coming out...so tired of being forced to go Muta every game to have a chance. This is actually making me consider resubbing WoW, it's that fucking bad. Silly me trying anything other than muta/ling.

Roach/hydra quite good against protoss.

cdyhybrid

vicissitudes said:
Roach/hydra quite good against protoss.

Not for me. I got stomped the last few times I tried that. Tried throwing in some corrupters even to take out his Collossi but it just wasn't working. Every game I've lost today I asked what I should have done differently, they all said I should have gone Muta. I won every game I went Muta. Maybe I should go back to random.

Dance In My Blood said:
Did you know that Protoss can make a robo bay?

Did you know that you can scout the robo and make a few corrupters?

Not for me. I got stomped the last few times I tried that. Tried throwing in some corrupters even to take out his Collossi but it just wasn't working. Every game I've lost today I asked what I should have done differently, they all said I should have gone Muta. I won every game I went Muta. Maybe I should go back to random.

Only time that fails for me is if they outmacro me / bad unit control. Otherwise roach/hydra with 5-6 corrupters from the side with corruption destroys the protoss ground army. Mutas might be good if they're terrible at defending harass but mutas are so bad going straight up against a stalker-heavy army, not to mention psionic storms.

Kinyou

wvbrt3.gif

Do you remember the time when the SC2 community was nice and fun?

Yeah, me neither.

Deadman

In zvz do you get the creep speed advantage when on your opponents creep?

If yes: thats weird and bad.

If no: what happens when the creep meets up, does one overwrite the other?

Won

Deadman said:
In zvz do you get the creep speed advantage when on your opponents creep?

If yes: thats weird and bad.

If no: what happens when the creep meets up, does one overwrite the other?

The answer is yes. You can also build on it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Won said:
The answer is yes. You can also build on it.

Watch out for this. I've been Spine-rushed a few times in ZvZ. It's easy to spot early on but you gotta make sure you take it out quickly.

Haunted

Wow, TLO just got destroyed there. Last two games weren't even close.

I hope that's not a foreshadowing of tomorrow's GSL qualifiers. :(

Won

Kinda interesting to watch. Had a hard time remembering how TLO usually plays against Protoss. Didn't see him in this match up in a while.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried to ladder again after not playing for over 2 weeks. Not a good idea! I got stomped. I still remember all of my strats, but it's like I lost all of my ability to execute them properly. Tons of tiny mistakes everywhere. Bleh, maybe I'll try out a different race since I'm going to be doing poorly anyway.

vicissitudes said:
Where was TLO's macro? He just had fewer units and then got rolled. :/
Macro was his problem, at least in game 3...he expanded, and the toss knew it, one based, and did a perfect timing push.

Rektash

The idea of analyzing the game mechanics with math is a nice idea and all but dressing everything up like a scientific paper just makes him the laughing stock of everyone who has actually read a scientific paper. It sure made ME laugh :lol.

IceMarker

Spl1nter said:
Well to be honest I do that if the games per hour are below 10, anything below 10 is the absolute UMS abyss.

The way Blizzard's system works now is that you must be in a game for 5 or 6 minutes before everyone leaves to count as a game. What sucks about that is that even if my map is popular again, my max players is 8, so it takes a while for public lobbies to fill. Considering how long my map is in terms of time (40-60 minutes), that also doesn't help.

Oh well, like I said, play the map or wait for my next big map release. ;D

Won said:
Also MrMister. I don't think you gave me an updated verison of your map yet, or did I miss something?
OH shoot I forgot to send you the new version of SA. Will do that very soon, check your PM's in an hour or so.

Zen said:
16 games per hour is actually pretty good man! Sure you're not breaker records or anything, but the game is being played and enjoyed consistently.
Heh, actually that's been miss tagged for quite a while on Bnet. It's actually games per 12 hours. ._.

Boken said:
MrMister, its probably easier to make "competitive" games more popular - co-operative games are often longer in length and less dynamic (as it is PvE). They also often have less replay value compared to competitive games. Plus, people just want to fight each other!
Then my next map will be inherently higher on the map list. :D

DaFish

ProudClod said:
Just got the game. Is the campaign worth playing? Or should I jump straight into Battle.net?

Trolling?
hell yes it's worth playing

but really... play a little of both

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
DaFish said:
Trolling?

but really... play a little of both

No, seriously. I beat the SC1 campaign, but I really didn't care for the story too much. I'm way more into WarCraft lore.

Haha stealth edit. Okay, I'll play it then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom