• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Morrow? lol

last big name to say it was Fruit Dealer.. and zerg got buffed right after

That reminds me; weren't people hating on him when he was talking about race switching and how Zerg wasn't that hard?

jasonng

I took a break from ladder and now it's infuriating to come back. I'm so out of practice that I lost to the most shittiest play ever. I nearly went into yoshichan mode. So yeah, now I'm definitely taking a break from starcraft. I really can't afford to be fuming like this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't seem to remember how to do 15 hatch against terran... anyone want to remind me?

This is how I currently do it:

15 hatch
14 spawning pool
13 extractor
16 queen
19 zerglings
19 banelings nest

at this point I have no clue what to do :lol My drone management with the expansion sucks major ones...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Banes at 19 supply? That seems early.
Other than that, it seems fine (Add in a second queen and a creep tumor for first queen!) and react. You are the reactive race after all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hazaro said:
Banes at 19 supply? That seems early. Other than that, it seems fine (Add in a second queen and a creep tumor for first queen!) and react.
When do I start making the new queen?
Hazaro said:
You are the reactive race after all.
Oh, you :lol

mr stroke

Q8D3vil said:
fuck yeah
platinum.jpg

:D

s.o.b.

whats your record to get Platinum?

I can't win to save my life in this game. 15-51 WTF :(

Spl1nter

Playing 2v2 with my friend the enemy team went 4gate and zergling all in (2 hatch in main). I went for expand at 19 as its safer in 2v2 based on what I scout. My friend gets destroyed completely by the 4gate plus mass zerglings. During that time I drone up and put down a roach nest. They push in and take out one of my queens about 1/3 of drones and my spawning pool but I hold off. I quickly make a bunch of roaches and drones and attack counter attack the zerg who is just put down a expo. I take and out but lose my counter attack force. However during this time I droned up enough to make me have good enough saturation to be equal to there two combined economies. I make enough roaches and the 4 gate goes heavily zealot?!?! and the zerg stays zergling. Just able to push out and deny them expo and then win as I continue to mass forces. Crazy come back just a great game

Best part is after the game I get a message with the one of the other players calling me a 'FAGGOT' and 'COCKSUCKER' for using roaches. I just said you went 4 gate and gg. :lol

Slavik81

Spl1nter said:
Playing 2v2 with my friend the enemy team went 4gate and zergling all in (2 hatch in main). I went for expand at 19 as its safer in 2v2 based on what I scout. My friend gets destroyed completely by the 4gate plus mass zerglings. During that time I drone up and put down a roach nest. They push in and take out one of my queens about 1/3 of drones and my spawning pool but I hold off. I quickly make a bunch of roaches and drones and attack counter attack the zerg who is just put down a expo. I take and out but lose my counter attack force. However during this time I droned up enough to make me have good enough saturation to be equal to there two combined economies. I make enough roaches and the 4 gate goes heavily zealot?!?! and the zerg stays zergling. Just able to push out and deny them expo and then win as I continue to mass forces. Crazy come back just a great game

Best part is after the game I get a message with the one of the other players calling me a 'FAGGOT' and 'COCKSUCKER' for using roaches. I just said you went 4 gate and gg. :lol
I've fought against the worst people ever in 2v2. The last match I played was a close for a while, but I eventually stomped both my opponent's bases while my ally rebuilt his. It ended with me building a starport after we'd destroyed our opponent's bases to get Phoenixes and chase down his flying structures. Then running around the map to find his hidden nexus and single probe, long distance mining, because he stuffed it into a random corner. Then after his last nexus and probe were destroyed, as I was moving to kill his final pylon, he said 'gg' and paused the game.

Some people in 2v2 are great, but I've seen more horribly annoying people there than anywhere else. In 1v1 I even occasionally have nice conversations with my opponents about how the match went. The difference is staggering.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I love the bm in 2v2.

Makes me feel so good when I crush their shitty strats. If they call me names I feel even better. :lol

Zzoram

mr stroke said:
s.o.b.

whats your record to get Platinum?

I can't win to save my life in this game. 15-51 WTF :(

What league are you in? What race? If you're Random it's way harder to learn since you have 3x the possible matchups so you split your practice too many ways and never really get a chance to get good at any one matchup.

Yoshichan said:
I can't seem to remember how to do 15 hatch against terran... anyone want to remind me?

This is how I currently do it:

15 hatch
14 spawning pool
13 extractor
16 queen
19 zerglings
19 banelings nest

at this point I have no clue what to do :lol My drone management with the expansion sucks major ones...

Do people still build eng bays to slow zerg expansions?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if you guys dont think scrap is terran favoured, im sure you will atleast agree its heavily protoss favoured versus zerg.

:p

Boken

Banned
Need motivation to get back into 1v1 ladder : (. All the friends I know IRL that play Starcraft 2 are all bronzers and I cant play or compete with them for ladder kudos. It's so lonely.

fanboi

Banned
Boken said:
Need motivation to get back into 1v1 ladder : (. All the friends I know IRL that play Starcraft 2 are all bronzers and I cant play or compete with them for ladder kudos. It's so lonely.

EU?

I can beat ya sorry white as! (white?)

:)

Should play with gaffers!

Boken said:

welcome to the club.

Although some of my friends decided to finally get better so I don't instantly dismiss their opinion about stuff being "imba" with "what league are you in again?" :lol

BigAT

Boken said:
It's funny, my friend that I constantly 2v2 with got placed into the exact same platinum division as me, two places lower than I was. I didn't even notice initially, he happened to pick up on it after looking at his ladder placement and noticing my name. My only motivation now for playing 1v1 now is to stay ahead of him for division rank.

ultron87

Boken said:

I've been using my Bronze/Silver level friend as means to practice my off-races.

Or you can just take some time to help them get better. I've found that just analyzing a few replays with a friend and checking out their basic mechanics (queue Day9's 'Pylons and Probes') can help them improve really quickly.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
if the zerg is in bronze and the toss is in diamond.
or if the toss is good. [aka, a lapsed zerg player]

zergs are the only players who have been playing starcraft these last few months.
protosses and terrans thought they could get away with playing the game like war3.

they'll learn when a zerg teaches them how to be good.

>_>

whatcha got now, haz? :p

-
i really need to find the time to play again, havent laddered in a week. :eek: my poor top 10 slot. :(

farnham

Banned
i am at diamond and i often have platinum guys calling me a noob.

i remember that one game where i played terran (main is protoss) and made a bunch of marines and battlecruisers

he came with a force with mainly marauders and vikings and i completely wasted his whole force ) he also landed his vikings during the fight.

all he had to said after that was that it was so sad to loose against a noob. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Accidentus said:
Manner is shorthand for bad manner. It has nothing to do with being in your way.
it has everything to do with being in your way.
manner pylons were named for pylons placed to block off mineral patches, trap workers and prevent expands. it was seen as bad manner back in the day.
turns out they're a pretty legitimate technique, so nobodies considers them bm anymore, but they're still called manner pylons/bays/supplies/whatever.

speaking of which, did anyone see huks manner ramp-walloff in the gsl qualifiers? right as he attacked he ran up and blocked a terran ramp. :lol

So just to recap: Protoss isn't gimp, they're just all bad players, Terrans need to lrn2play rather than A-moving a bioball to victory, and Zerg needs balanced maps.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheRagnCajun said:
So just to recap: Protoss isn't gimp, they're just all bad players, Terrans need to lrn2play rather than A-moving a bioball to victory, and Zerg needs balanced maps.
Finally! someone gets it.

being serious: protoss economy is just so insanely strong off multiple bases though. -.- i have a 3gate expand ~> 2star expand build on scrap station versus zerg that hasn't lost in any of my casuals. zergs just cant handle a 2-3 base toss on that map.
and its not like you can go muta versus 2star.

Pandaman said:

being serious: protoss economy is just so insanely strong off multiple bases though. -.- i have a 3gate expand ~> 2star expand build on scrap station versus zerg that hasn't lost in any of my casuals. zergs just cant handle a 2-3 base toss on that map.

Can't say I've seen that done. But I'm new. In my limited experience its been:

TvZ: Need an agressive push at 7-8 min, harass, cheese, do whatever you can to keep them from expanding too fast. Zerg left alone grows faster than anyone else left alone.
TvT: Often turns into a drawn out seige tank vs seige tank battle. Whoever can park his seige tanks outside the opponent's main and build vikings to shoot down transports wins.
TvP: No gameplan required. Just don't let them tech up for too long.

Accidentus said:
Manner is shorthand for bad manner. It has nothing to do with being in your way.

BM is short for bad manner.

A manner bay, manner pylon, or manner anything, is a unit or building which blocks another unit.

So if you build an engineering bay inside an enemy mineral line with the goal to slow mining, that's a manner bay.

it has nothing to do with bad manners.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheRagnCajun said:
Can't say I've seen that done. But I'm new. In my limited experience its been:

TvZ: Need an agressive push at 7-8 min, harass, cheese, do whatever you can to keep them from expanding too fast. Zerg left alone grows faster than anyone else left alone.
yea, pretty much.

I'd really like to see more terrans taking aggressive thirds.
but i cant think of a reasonable way for them to do it in the middle of muta/speedroach/speedbane territory.

mr stroke

Slavik81 said:
Post some replays. I'm sure people would be glad to help.

And go watch some day[9] videos. Particularly the newbie tuesday stuff. If you're Terran or Protoss, this is a good start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p94C-QjucM

thanks, watching some of those videos helped(I won 3 in a row last night!!!!)

question-

After watching some pro Star Craft videos, they generally don't bother teching up to high level units(Battlecruisers, Thors, Ghosts, etc..)

Am I better off doing the same?
(using more lower level units-Marines, Tanks, etc.. vs spending all the time+money on Battlecruisers, Thors, etc..)

TheExodu5

Banned
Won said:
I hope we see a patch soon. All the match ups feel kinda dumb at the moment. :(

Matchups seem pretty good to me. I'd like to see protoss given a little more harass options though. Maybe get rid of the dark shrine and allow DTs and HTs to be made from the same building.

mr stroke said:
thanks, watching some of those videos helped(I won 3 in a row last night!!!!)

question-

After watching some pro Star Craft videos, they generally don't bother teching up to high level units(Battlecruisers, Thors, Ghosts, etc..)

Am I better off doing the same?
(using more lower level units-Marines, Tanks, etc.. vs spending all the time+money on Battlecruisers, Thors, etc..)

It depends how long the game lasts. Thors and Ghosts are quite common in TvZ and TvP, respectively. Ghosts are mostly used against sentry and high templar heavy builds, and thors are used to ledge drop and to defend against mutalisks.

YakiSOBA

I'm so sad right now but I know I'll learn an amazing amount from this loss. Just had a TvZ, the guy was heavily favored.. map was metropolis.

I went 1/1/1, harasshed with cloaked banshees... made him make massive spore crawlers and kept him without expansions... I scanned and he was going for nydus mass roaches/lings.

I have 2 bases going, massive economy... I got 8 medivacs, huuuuge BIO ball, and about 5 tanks with siege.

Mistake #1: Deciding to split my forces in two, tanks + smaller bio ball + 2 medivacs hit the front, draw out some forces, 6 medivacs fully loaded drop from the back.

As I make my move, I notice my base is under attack... but I figure even if we base trade I'll win. I float all my buildings and his roaches/lings can't do anything... I move in from front and draw the troops at his base out, and drop the other 6 medivacs...

Mistake #2: Did not take out his nydus...
Mistake #3: Thinking you won the game before it's over

I have such a huge bioball I just stop target firing and let them auto attack... slowly, tons of his troops start coming out of his nydus back at his base... I figure they are coming out so slowly my guys will mow them down..

But I get overwhelmed and once my forces were dead I knew I lost. Fuck, sucks because I know I could have won no matter what if I had just steamrolled my entire force from the front. Sigh....

BigAT

I think I've gotten worse since I started watching the pros a lot. I try to execute things I should have no business trying and I focus on micro more instead of far more important things.

Vaporak

Pandaman said:

3 gateways and 2 stargates off of 2 bases, that's it >_>, the zerg can just attack move at you and easily win that. 2 base Zerg has far, far higher production capacity than 3 gates and 2 stargates. Besides, muta's will still work just fine against that as you'll have a flock out before the stargates can start churning out pheonix's. In my experience, any Stargate centric strategy in PvZ will have the Toss turtling hardcore in the mid game unless the zerg fucked up somewhere bad. I define Stargate centric as it being the first tech branch you choose to make.

TheExodu5

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
I think every time you make a general statement about the game you should state your league/points.

I don't mean to be a dick but come on.

What, and give more credibility to the 1 basers and cheesers?

Elcheris

Neo Member
If anyone wants some practice with 1v1 just add me, Elcheris .172

Maybe we can get some fun games going or something, I too am lacking motivation to play in the 1v1 ladder since all of my friends prefer to just play team games (and rarely at that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom