• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

111 is why TheBest is back in Code A. I'm trying to learn it quickly before Blizzard ends up patching it, though I don't really know how they can.

Holden

Q8D3vil said:
i didn't say its not good, i said its hard to execute and hit that timing.
i had a very good success with it but then protoss start doing immortal flanks which made is very very weak.
but i guess koreans plays a different game lol.

edit : also, it works because protoss fe.
i remember not being able to kill 2 gate expand if their micro is good and did a flank.

LOL you're in diamond, you just don't know the timing right lolololol

hard to executre and hit that timing LOL. Just move out when you got 3 banshee 4 tank + marine.

You can't stop a 2gate expand? Welp, i guess i can't help you there ;(

hamchan said:
111 is why TheBest is back in Code A. I'm trying to learn it quickly before Blizzard ends up patching it, though I don't really know how they can.

i doubt they will ever patch it, its been up since beta.

Q8D3vil

Hugoboss21 said:
LOL you're in diamond, you just don't know the timing right lolololol

hard to executre and hit that timing LOL. Just move out when you got 3 banshee 4 tank + marine.

You can't stop a 2gate expand? Welp, i guess i can't help you there ;(

if they did 1 gate expand and i waited for 3 banshee and 4 tanks then i will get destroyed.

2 gate robo.
zealots with chrono boosted immortals are the best counter to this build (beside void ray all in).

but i guess i'm a diamond and i don't know what i'm talking about.
i guess i will t ry it more now :D

Dooraven

Simple way to fix it:

Give Hallucination detection so Robo isn't a freaking requirement for Protoss.
Bamn, you can go charge first now because Charge is pretty decent vs this.

It's kind of Ridiculous that a 1 gate expand is the best way to handle it and you still have to be pitch perfect to defend it.

Jeff-DSA

Q8D3vil said:
tried many hellions builds on na and of all them failed :(
i guess protoss and zerg discovered how to stop it.

I'm having a lot of success with it, but I only win the games against Protoss and Terran reliably when it hits. Zerg still manages to get back into those games. Drives me crazy.

Keikaku

Ashhong said:
is there a real zerg build order graph thing?

k6tlO.jpg

Striek

Hugoboss21 said:
The funny thing is despite being mostly successful in televised matches (one of the most consistent builds IMO) its popularity goes up and down. I think some terrans just don't like the stigma of doing an all-in like that.

Edit: Yes, the ability to hallucinate obs is the correct answer if Blizzard listening ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
give hallucinate detection? lol.
because toss doesn't have the best cheap mobile detection already.

thats almost as stupid as giving terran dark swarm, 'cept it comes out quicker, has more range, recharges and lasts 5minutes.

MrKnives

Striek said:
The funny thing is despite being mostly successful in televised matches (one of the most consistent builds IMO) its popularity goes up and down. I think some terrans just don't like the stigma of doing an all-in like that.

Terrans weary of doing an all-in?

Dooraven

Pandaman said:

thats almost as stupid as giving terran dark swarm, 'cept it comes out quicker, has more range, recharges and lasts 5minutes.

lol, I'm sorry but how would this change anything then helping protoss not die to this push? Protoss is always going to prefer to get observers because Hallucination costs sentry energy, and sentry energy = very important for protoss.

MKP just destroyed sase in game one lol

With the 1/1/1 push no less lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Dooraven said:
lol, I'm sorry but how would this change anything then helping protoss not die to this push? Protoss is always going to prefer to get observers because Hallucination costs sentry energy, and sentry energy = very important for protoss.

hellions are fun

MrKnives

Dooraven said:

For one it would kill cloack banshee play. 2nd it would make 6gate a lot harder to defend, looking the fact most zergs like to defend that doing roach burrow. Also would kill any roach burrow attacks

MrKnives

Corran Horn said:
7,000 $? Holy shit Sase v Marineking lol.

More money than mlg lulz

1st: $5000
2nd: $1600
3rd: $800

I know that doesn't add up 7k but I just took it from the TL thread. "Known distrubution"

Corran Horn

MrKnives said:
1st: $5000
2nd: $1600
3rd: $800

I know that doesn't add up 7k but I just took it from the TL thread. "Known distrubution"
Still...this is what production of a 5k final prize tourny lol

Striek

Pandaman said:
Correct. Thats why Toss is the race that loses the most games to having insufficient detection (source: pulled out of my ass, but feels very true ;) ).

Corran Horn

Striek said:
Correct. Thats why Toss is the race that loses the most games to having insufficient detection (source: pulled out of my ass, but feels very true ;) ).
Are you trying to taunt me in this post...

Dooraven

Annnd the 1/1/1 wins again lol. Well at least you can't 111 on Taldarim.

For one it would kill cloack banshee play. 2nd it would make 6gate a lot harder to defend, looking the fact most zergs like to defend that doing roach burrow. Also would kill any roach burrow attacks

Do Scans kill DT play? No. Also, 6 gate isn't held off by burrow, it's held off by getting a macro hatch and researching +2 missile attacks ASAP. 6 gate hasn't worked in a long long time in Korea due to that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dooraven said:
lol, I'm sorry but how would this change anything then helping protoss not die to this push?
you cant be serious...

hallucinated observers would completely imbalance 5-7gate timings by removing burrow as a viable counter, it would also utterly devalue the actual observer. why build observers at all if you can do long distance scouting with hallucinated phoenix and short term detection with hallucinated observers? how does zerg or terran deny your detection when you can spawn more observers above your army at any time?

6 gate isn't held off by burrow
tell that to naniwa and ret.

fanboi

Banned
How in hell can P complain about detection!?

You have an INVISIBLE detector... fuck just get 3 of em and you are good.

MrKnives

Dooraven said:
Annnd the 1/1/1 wins again lol. Well at least you can't 111 on Taldarim.

Do Scans kill DT play? No. Also, 6 gate isn't held off by burrow, it's held off by getting a macro hatch and researching +2 missile attacks ASAP. 6 gate hasn't worked in a long long time in Korea due to that.

Scan energy is constantly used and most of the times when banshees work is when the T just lands a mule.
Sentries just sit there and wait to use their energy for something.

Not sure if serious with the 6gate thing. You see that shit working all the time. Last time I saw it was in the EU Blizz invitational.

MrKnives

fanboi said:
I can agree on that, but it isn't easier for Z... T get a free pass with scans.

Z does have kinda easy detection. Only thing Z can complain is the delicate balance of rushing to lair and droning.
Most of the time you need to go straight for lair to get them in time. Other than that I wouldn't complain that much. But T has it the safest.

If anyone is interested, EU Regional VOD's and Replays are out from Day 1
http://eu.battle.net/blizzcon/en/tournaments/eu-regionals/matches/sc2/video-archive

fanboi

Banned

Dooraven

Pandaman said:
you cant be serious...

hallucinated observers would completely imbalance 5-7gate timings by removing burrow as a viable counter, it would also utterly devalue the actual observer. why build observers at all if you can do long distance scouting with hallucinated phoenix and short term detection with hallucinated observers? how does zerg or terran deny your detection when you can spawn more observers above your army at any time?

tell that to naniwa and ret.

lol you do realise that Koreans pretty much always get a robo with the 5-7 gate push right? Naniwa not getting detection was his own fault. I've already adressed why Protoss would want real observers over hallucinated observers. Sentry energy is really really important for protoss.

how does zerg or terran deny your detection when you can spawn more observers above your army at any time

How is this any different from an actual observer floating over the protoss army?

Not sure if serious with the 6gate thing. You see that shit working all the time. Last time I saw it was in the EU Blizz invitational.

When was the last time it worked in Korea? KR Metagame > EU metagame The last Time I remember was Puzzle v Sheth, and Sheth would have won if he didn't mess up his overlord rally.

Potatoheaded

Neo Member
Bought this a couple of days ago and to be honest i am a complete noob as far as strategy games go. I tried them when i was younger and hated them but after a recent purchase of civ 5 and becoming addicted i thought i would give some other RTS a go and so here i am.

As i am such a noob atm i have started the campaign on casual and am just taking my time with each mission and taking every thing in and I'm up to the point where i have missions for another race (protoss i think but got that at the end of my last mission and then turned off).

I really want to give the mulitplayer a try but for obvious reasons i am staying clear until i have a better grasp of the game. I have seen one esport video which i really enjoyed and will be making sure i watch a bunch of those and then hit up the AI multiplayer for a good bit.

Few questions

1. I have been playing this using mouse only, is it important to use the keyboard for setting up shortcuts or do people mainly play mouse only?

2. Should i be going back to the campaign on a harder difficulty (once i have completed it on casual) BEFORE I go into MP?

3. Are there any good resources out there for noobs such as myself to introduce me to the multiplayer side of things? I am slightly confused as to how the whole ranking thing works and how good i need to be to win in the lower leagues (?) guaged off the AI difficulty, if that makes sense :p

Anyway thanks in advance for any help!

MrKnives

Dooraven said:
When was the last time it worked in Korea? KR Metagame > EU metagame The last Time I remember was Puzzle v Sheth, and Sheth would have won if he didn't mess up his overlord rally.

Can you say games from last season I should look for to see that your way to defend the 6gate? Without burrow

Keikaku

Potatoheaded said:
Few questions

1. I have been playing this using mouse only, is it important to use the keyboard for setting up shortcuts or do people mainly play mouse only?

2. Should i be going back to the campaign on a harder difficulty (once i have completed it on casual) BEFORE I go into MP?

3. Are there any good resources out there for noobs such as myself to introduce me to the multiplayer side of things? I am slightly confused as to how the whole ranking thing works and how good i need to be to win in the lower leagues (?) guaged off the AI difficulty, if that makes sense :p

Using the keyboard is pretty much mandatory. Happily, the game is really customization-friendly and you can set the keys (mostly) to whatever you want. Alternatively, the default keys are pretty good too :)

Not necessary at all.

Day9 Dailies: http://blip.tv/day9tv
- Amazingly useful stuff, covering everything from specific builds to general game mechanics and your mentality and attitude as a player.
TeamLiquid Starcraft 2 Wiki: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page
Lots of cool info, including some specific builds that you may want to practice.

MrKnives

Potatoheaded said:
Few questions

Welcome ^^

1. You need to use hotkeys / Shortcuts when you get ranked higher so I would recommend using them. Sooner you start to use them the easier it will get.

2. Campaign is very different from MP so you can if you want but if you want to practice FOR MP without actually playing Ladder just play against Blizzard AI or even better against FYN AI or Green Tea AI (GTAI)

3. You can start with http://blip.tv/day9tv and watching all the "newbie tuesday's".
Lower leagues are pretty easy to overcome with just macro. Most players there just cannon up into voidrays or something like that. The level there isn't really that tough but if you are just starting you should prepare mentally to get crushed at first (but that's ok)

Dooraven

MrKnives said:
Can you say games from last season I should look for to see that your way to defend the 6gate? Without burrow

You need burrow because you need Tunneling claws so you can get out of FFs. Having an obs/hallucinated obs wouldn't make a difference.

San v Sheth games 2 and 3.
Creator v Luvsic games 2 and 3.

Scouting is the hardest part of the 5-8 gate because it's trying to get a timing where you're droning.

Zen

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
if they did 1 gate expand and i waited for 3 banshee and 4 tanks then i will get destroyed.

2 gate robo.
zealots with chrono boosted immortals are the best counter to this build (beside void ray all in).

but i guess i'm a diamond and i don't know what i'm talking about.
i guess i will t ry it more now :D

If you see a 1 gate expand you can punish it with a handful of marines and a tank. You have to punish the early expand or they will just destroy you, like you said.

jasonng

And as aways, come to channel Neogaf. There is always someone there. We enjoy helping each other. Insulting each other too but that comes later.

MrKnives

Dooraven said:
You need burrow because you need Tunneling claws so you can get out of FFs. Having an obs/hallucinated obs wouldn't make a difference.

San v Sheth games 2 and 3.
Creator v Luvsic games 2 and 3.

Scouting is the hardest part of the 5-8 gate because it's trying to get a timing where you're droning.

You give me an example how the obs doesn't matter in 6gate because they always build robo with 6gate attack.
Then you give me 4 games which I watched now.

San vs Sheth game 2 and 3 were voidrays.

Creattor vs Luvsic game 2 was blink attack that didn't come particularly fast and game 3 was voidrays.

Not sure if those are the best games to support anything you said.

Dooraven

MrKnives said:
You give me an example how the obs doesn't matter in 6gate because they always build robo with 6gate attack.
Then you give me 4 games which I watched now.

San vs Sheth game 2 and 3 were voidrays.

Creattor vs Luvsic game 2 was blink attack that didn't come particularly fast and game 3 was voidrays.

Not sure if those are the best games to support anything you said.

Wait, hold on let me check that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dooraven said:
lol you do realise that Koreans pretty much always get a robo with the 5-7 gate push right?
yea, korean protoss are pretty bad.

Naniwa not getting detection was his own fault. I've already adressed why Protoss would want real observers over hallucinated observers. Sentry energy is really really important for protoss.
not nearly that important.

How is this any different from an actual observer floating over the protoss army?
when you kill an actual observer, protoss has to retreat.

who cares if it works in korea? if korean protoss are dumb enough to wait on a robo with their 6gate, that explains why their win percentage is trash. that time spent waiting gives zerg enough time to make holding 6gate trivial in classical engagements.

V_Arnold

Panda, it is about time to step down from that fucking high horse of yours :p

Korean P's are dumb now, yeaaaah...says the US player :p

MrKnives

V_Arnold said:
Panda, it is about time to step down from that fucking high horse of yours :p

Korean P's are dumb now, yeaaaah...says the US player :p

To be fair korean protoss players are trash when comparing them to their Zerg or Terran counterparts. Except MC and Puzzle maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom