• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

In the tournament jinro won i think tyler was 3rd or 4th. Aside from that i dunno where he won the money.

3rd in the HDH beta tournament too, so says liquipedia. $450

BigAT

I really don't get why people make such a huge deal about team moves in Starcraft. This isn't Counter-Strike, where a move like this could potentially have a huge effect on which teams would be winning tournaments. It seems like it exists just so people can care about the "drama" that results.

He's going to have a new tag in front of his name when he plays, as an individual, in tournaments. Neat.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BigAT said:
I really don't get why people make such a huge deal about team moves in Starcraft. This isn't Counter-Strike, where a move like this could potentially have a huge effect on which teams would be winning tournaments. It seems like it exists just so people can care about the "drama" that results.

He's going to have a new tag in front of his name when he plays, as an individual, in tournaments. Neat.
Part of the fun is rooting for a team. One reason why Slayers and Liquid gets huge fan support.

Pandaman said:
I want IPL to succeed so bad.

IPL2 was too confusing. I thought I watched Idra win it, but every day since then they were streaming something. Then there was a WhiteRa v Nerchio finals a couple days ago, which I don't know what the hell was for.

nilbog21

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
IPL2 was too confusing. I thought I watched Idra win it, but every day since then they were streaming something. Then there was a WhiteRa v Nerchio finals a couple days ago, which I don't know what the hell was for.

seriously does anyone know what the hell is going on in IPL?

Zzoram said:
Yep.

8 invites (may include fan favorite Koreans)
8 online qualifiers (Koreans allowed)
16 open bracket qualifiers at event

32 player championship bracket, live, at Ceasar's Palace in Atlantic City
$100,000 prize pool

16 koreans then. sweet!

jasonng

Corran Horn said:
Part of the fun is rooting for a team. One reason why Slayers and Liquid gets huge fan support.
To be fair, the community has been overdramatic about the change. It's one thing to be interested in following HuK's career now and whether switching teams will affect his performance. However reading reactions like these:

What the fuck.
This is bullshit. HuK to EG? EG is a fucking horrible team, and now they’re recruiting HuK since their own players can’t win anything worth shit? They did the same thing with Puma, too. Is HuK going to practice with Incontrol and Idra now, or what? HuK is this good because he practiced forever in Korea, and it just recently bloomed with when he won Dreamhack and Homestory Cup. HuK just shot himself in the foot, and EG is going to fuck up StarCraft forever.

Well, to put it nicely, people need to move on and stop being little whiny bitches.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
I agree there were problems with IPL, but their approach to the playerbase seems to be the best way to foster community growth in my opinion.

free open brackets for anyone to enter, casting of community replays through ipl.tv, etc. they're very involved at the moment and i like that.

ezrarh

V_Arnold said:
Sponsors does not care how good your players are.
Idra is still the most well-known name in the foreign scene, he still has the biggest fanbase. EG players appear everywhere from shows to VOD's, EVERYWHERE. And they have quite enough controversy also to generate additional views.

They are in the spotlight. And THAT is what matters.

Well, if the sponsors don't care then it's good EG. At the end of the day though, skill is still the most important thing for popularity unless we want to turn this scene into WWE. Idra's still well known because he was once considered one of the best players and had an entertaining personality. Nobody gives a shit about a random low level BMer. By EG players appearing everywhere (besides Idra that is), you mean Incontrol? It's good that Incontrol can get his name out there despite not being very good but look how many haters that has garnered him.

Eventually you'll need to post results so I can't agree with your initial statement. Being in the spotlight for the wrong reasons isn't a good thing for a long term product.

I have a feeling that part of HuK's paycheck comes from a few players EG will most likely drop. Machine, Axslav, inka and Strifecro, in particular. Incontrol seems too popular.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ezrarh said:
Well, if the sponsors don't care then it's good EG. At the end of the day though, skill is still the most important thing for popularity unless we want to turn this scene into WWE. Idra's still well known because he was once considered one of the best players and had an entertaining personality. Nobody gives a shit about a random low level BMer. By EG players appearing everywhere (besides Idra that is), you mean Incontrol? It's good that Incontrol can get his name out there despite not being very good but look how many haters that has garnered him.

Eventually you'll need to post results so I can't agree with your initial statement. Being in the spotlight for the wrong reasons isn't a good thing for a long term product.
bx8Y0.jpg

Mairu

mescalineeyes said:
I have a feeling that part of HuK's paycheck comes from a few players EG will most likely drop. Machine, Axslav, inka and Strifecro, in particular. Incontrol seems too popular.
Inka hasn't been on EG in forever and I can't imagine they'd drop half their team after investing in the Arizona house. I'm pretty sure you overestimate the amount the lesser players get by being on EG (Not all of them are even salaried)

I don't really care that Huk joined EG, I'm looking forward to the EG Korean apartment. Sucks for TL, but Huk's trying to build a career so I don't blame him for going for the money.

Pandaman said:
I agree there were problems with IPL, but their approach to the playerbase seems to be the best way to foster community growth in my opinion.

free open brackets for anyone to enter, casting of community replays through ipl.tv, etc. they're very involved at the moment and i like that.

I thought the league was great, just confusing in the second season. Nice production values, some great matches etc. And I love that it's focused rather intently on the NA scene, while also giving us a chance to see some great EU players.

It remains the only league my dad watched, thanks to Total Biscuit. He thinks games are nerdy, but as a big sports fan Total Biscuit's casting got him to watch a match after he came to my house to drop some stuff off.

Would Destiny agree to join a team, or is he against the idea in general? Seems like it would help him, not that he's hurting for money or even exposure; it would cover travel expenses though.

Q8D3vil

PhoenixDark said:
I thought the league was great, just confusing in the second season. Nice production values, some great matches etc. And I love that it's focused rather intently on the NA scene, while also giving us a chance to see some great EU players.

It remains the only league my dad watched, thanks to Total Biscuit. He thinks games are nerdy, but as a big sports fan Total Biscuit's casting got him to watch a match after he came to my house to drop some stuff off.
the only problem with ipl2 was the outdated replays imo.
and not banning idra after what he said, but i guess i'm the only one who have that problem :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
shame that idra forfeited
i wanted my new mc vs idra episode.
yea we dont have any decent zergs without idra, sadly.

oh well, another tourney for protoss to win and then complain about zerg imba.

Pandaman said:
yea we dont have any decent zergs without idra, sadly.

oh well, another tourney for protoss to win and then complain about zerg imba.

I was listening to the ITG from August 9th last night, and InControl and Idra were arguing back and forth over the state of PvZ. I nearly laughed out loud when InControl said Huk is 4-5 times better than Destiny, insinuating he's not a good player. Oh boy, can't wait for the next SOTG and ITG ahaha

PhoenixDark said:
Would Destiny agree to join a team, or is he against the idea in general? Seems like it would help him, not that he's hurting for money or even exposure; it would cover travel expenses though.

He was in Root. What I've read is that he didn't agree with the contract terms of Complexity; he signed the contract anyway so the other members of Root could join Col and then broke the contract. I'm pretty sure he would join another team if the terms where right for him, but the question is who wants him? IMO, he seems a better entertainer than a competitive player.

On the other hand, it is his only source of income. If his streaming and coaching revenue drop, he's pretty much done without a team (with sponsors).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
I was listening to the ITG from August 9th last night, and InControl and Idra were arguing back and forth over the state of PvZ. I nearly laughed out loud when InControl said Huk is 4-5 times better than Destiny, insinuating he's not a good player. Oh boy, can't wait for the next SOTG and ITG ahaha
made the destiny vs incontrol showmatch very sweet.

cdyhybrid

ShallNoiseUpon said:
IEM Cologne is going to interfere with watching Dota2 isn't it?

Nope. Nothing can stop the Dota2 freight train. Full steam ahead towards world domination.

Edit: So I'm working on the TvZ 2base 3rax 1fac marine tank/push found here. Is the point of this to just contain and maybe slow push if they're vulnerable? I tried it once and he had just massed sling/bling and wrecked my first push, although it was a minute or two late because I suck.

MrKnives

cdyhybrid said:
Nope. Nothing can stop the Dota2 freight train. Full steam ahead towards world domination.

Edit: So I'm working on the TvZ 2base 3rax 1fac marine tank/push found here. Is the point of this to just contain and maybe slow push if they're vulnerable? I tried it once and he had just massed sling/bling and wrecked my first push, although it was a minute or two late because I suck.

2 base timings are best after pressuring early so when I play TvZ I usually do 2 rax and pressure with 12> marines while expanding and then do the push. My is bigger though but comes later ofc.

A Terran can correct me but contain isn't really what you are after. Of course that too but you kinda have to slow push him or achieve some goal like taking out his 3rd and go back if you want.

Zzoram

FieryBalrog said:
The guy isn't even good.

iNcontroL is like Tyler and HayprO. Their only claim to fame is from Broodwar, they haven't been very impressive in SC2 but they have connections so they're still in the scene.

With Idra, Huk, and PuMa training in Korea, I think the EG American training house is pointless. DeMuslim, Axslav, iNcontroL and Machine aren't going to get as good as Koreans by living together. They're all quite mediocre players that got lucky enough to be picked up by a money bags rich team like EG. It's quite sad that they are probably making as much money as a lot of Korean teams while being at a much lower skill level.

Huk, Puma and Idra at least earned their fat pay checks, and presumably Huk's is the largest now.

Venfayth

Zzoram said:
I don't know why but I could never follow IPL, I found it super confusing.

I think it's actually a case of too much content. People will tune in whenever they're around and see interesting things happening, but it's hard to actually follow it like you can follow a league like NASL (lol) or GSL. When the matches are spread apart and you have a digestable amount of content, it's easier to comprehend what's going on in the context of the league.

Machine is such a nice guy, it sucks to see him struggle. If MLG had a more fair ranking system he wouldn't be in the top 32 at MLG, nor would InControl.

DeMuslim will start producing eventually. The other guys on the rooster are kind of pointless

jasonng

Replay Here

Dealt with my first map hacker. Never once did he scouted me on Backwater Gulch yet he knew where my base was. He also knew where my overlords were and responded to my overseer before it moved out. Also, he headed for my third as soon as I plotted it down. I looked at his vision and he never looked into my base "in the dark" but he countered my army quite perfectly and even knew to park his army just out of reach of my spines.

I reported him but I doubt blizzard would do anything. It infuriates me that he would get away with this shit. Is there anything else I can do?

cdyhybrid

MrKnives said:
2 base timings are best after pressuring early so when I play TvZ I usually do 2 rax and pressure with 12> marines while expanding and then do the push. My is bigger though but comes later ofc.

A Terran can correct me but contain isn't really what you are after. Of course that too but you kinda have to slow push him or achieve some goal like taking out his 3rd and go back if you want.

How do you do this? By the time I have a dozen marines they have banelings already.

Keikaku

cdyhybrid said:
How do you do this? By the time I have a dozen marines they have banelings already.

Post replays so that we can see. If they have banelings in the time that it takes you to get 12 marines to his base, you're doing something wrong.

So EG is going to be making a korea house again? wasn't that their plan 9 months ago and then they scrapped that because of NASL? I guess NASL being so shit made them rethink.

Mindlog

Corran Horn said:
I like the improvements.

Putting together a Korean training house centered around Huk, Idra and Puma is a pretty great start. Anyone that spends time in there is going to improve.

Guesswork: EG wants a presence in Korea. They understand that's where players go to get better. Idra did not want to go to Korea and practice alone or live in a crappy training house. EG management begins its plan to build a proper presence. Puma and Huk are enough to get Idra over there and more names will follow. I do not believe that will include many of EG's current roster. There are probably still more names to be signed,

pieatorium said:
So EG is going to be making a korea house again? wasn't that their plan 9 months ago and then they scrapped that because of NASL? I guess NASL being so shit made them rethink.

Was it specifically NASL, or just wanting to participate in more foreign tournaments in general? Idra made a decent showing in the US, winning two IPLs and having a good MLG run, plus another disappointing one.

I wonder what Tasteless thinks about this. He left EG because they moved focus from Korea. Will they rehire him?

Trickster

pieatorium said:

Well 9 months is a long time you know. Back then koreans didn't have nearly the same presence in foreign tournaments as they do now. My guess would be that the clear korean tournament domination has made them rethink their priorities.

StopMakingSense said:
? He didn't win IPL 2? He got eliminated handily by Nerchio in the losers bracket.

I could have sworn I watched Idra beat Kiwikawi in the finals, and they mentioned it was Idra's second title. Confusing as fuck : /

So Whitera v Nerchio was the actual final?

edit: lol they replayed the first one and confused me. fuck

PhoenixDark said:
I could have sworn I watched Idra beat Kiwikawi in the finals, and they mentioned it was Idra's second title. Confusing as fuck : /

So Whitera v Nerchio was the actual final?

They replayed a lot of games all the time, one of the many reasons it got so confusing to follow.

Idra - Kiwikaki was IPL 1

also, S2 was where he typed out "fuck you" in game as he lost to Mana gettting knocked out of winners semis. Good times.

Haunted

lol PhoenixDark

I know a fair share of people who were completely confused by IPL2's weird scheduling and constant rebroadcasts.

I got lucky and basically tuned into the final games (White-Ra - Mana, Mana - Nerchio, White-Ra - Nerchio) by chance. :lol

IPL3 looks pretty fucking amazing. Venue is Caesar's Palace in Atlantic City. Great prize pool breakdown. Free flight and hotel for invitees and online qualifiers (learning from NASL's mistakes). Mix of invites, online and offline qualifiers and a solid Championship Bracket format like I wish MLG would do. 4 casting teams, several streams

Pretty sick.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
its also nice to have a Korean house cause then you can send your other lol foreigners for boot camp training. that was their plan at first. curious to watch ItG today, no SotG :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom