• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

Haunted said:
lol PhoenixDark

I know a fair share of people who were completely confused by IPL2's weird scheduling and constant rebroadcasts.

I got lucky and basically tuned into the final games (White-Ra - Mana, Mana - Nerchio, White-Ra - Nerchio) by chance. :lol

IPL3 looks pretty fucking amazing. Venue is Caesar's Palace in Atlantic City. Great prize pool breakdown. Free flight and hotel for invitees and online qualifiers (learning from NASL's mistakes). Mix of invites, online and offline qualifiers and a solid Championship Bracket format like I wish MLG would do. 4 casting teams, several streams

Pretty sick.
IPL3 looks great
outside of the fact that I hate the IPL casters (HD, PU, CP)

I hate the way they do their online tournaments but I'll probably tune in for the live event.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
LAN events do so much better, its a nice weekend event. long seasons tend to get to boring even if the games are good, gsl is the few who can pull it off.

Corran Horn

StopMakingSense said:
Eh? What are you on, man:

@itmeJP: k tyler will be on tonight, still not sure about @day9tv -- @idrajit to fill in though if he isn't there :)
oh, on the tl thread people were saying no show tonight.

Haunted

Mairu said:
IPL3 looks great
outside of the fact that I hate the IPL casters (HD, PU, CP)

I hate the way they do their online tournaments but I'll probably tune in for the live event.
Good thing there will be two additional casting teams!

I do smell Tastosis incoming.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why Huk, why? ;_;

G2OEW.png

Now you just remind me of this jerk.

jasonng

jasonng said:
Replay Here

Dealt with my first map hacker. Never once did he scouted me on Backwater Gulch yet he knew where my base was. He also knew where my overlords were and responded to my overseer before it moved out. Also, he headed for my third as soon as I plotted it down. I looked at his vision and he never looked into my base "in the dark" but he countered my army quite perfectly and even knew to park his army just out of reach of my spines.

I reported him but I doubt blizzard would do anything. It infuriates me that he would get away with this shit. Is there anything else I can do?
Quote for new page.

Keikaku

jasonng said:
Quote for new page.

There is a thread over on TL that deals with this very thing. You can post your replay there. Supposedly, confirmed hackers have their Battlenet accounts passed onto Blizzard from that thread. Hope it works for you.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Awesome Animals said:
Really? And in a Cavaliers jersey? Are you trying to upset me?
You can take solace in the fact that he didn't get a ring this year.

It's somewhat of a stretch, but Lebron joined the Miami Heat because he wanted a ring and HuK joined EG because he wanted more cash.

Regardless of the reasons, both are sellouts.

Home

I guess he's a sell out because he obviously did it for the money, but with Nazgul saying "However, the offer that he received from EG wasn't just significant, it was potentially life-changing" I can't really blame him. It sounds like EG is paying him a ridiculous amount for a progamer outside Korea (at least right now).

Keikaku

Pancakes said:
You can take solace in the fact that he didn't get a ring this year.

It's somewhat of a stretch, but Lebron joined the Miami Heat because he wanted a ring and HuK joined EG because he wanted more cash.

Regardless of the reasons, both are sellouts.

My god, it's like being back on TeamLiquid o_O

He's getting more cash to play StarCraft. Unlike Lebron, he's not getting millions upon millions of dollars. At best, he's getting 6 figures (at best!), which is still a hell of a lot of money, but nowhere near comparable. His contract with TL was coming up for renewal and as even LiquidNazgul said the offer from EG wasn't just significant it was "life changing". That must be a fat stack of moolah and, as a fan, I'm glad that one of my favorite players is getting good money to do what he does.

So long as he keeps practicing hard, maintains his work ethic and sense of humor I don't really see the need to demonize the player.

Unless you're trolling.

maelstrom

Neo Member
Lebron: Takes less money and joins new team to win championships
HuK: Wins championships and joins new team to get more money.

Oh okay I guess that's the same.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Home said:
I guess he's a sell out because he obviously did it for the money, but with Nazgul saying "However, the offer that he received from EG wasn't just significant, it was potentially life-changing" I can't really blame him. It sounds like EG is paying him a ridiculous amount for a progamer outside Korea (at least right now).

I'm going to assume you have a job. So your contract is about to expire and a company who does the exact same thing as your other one, talks to your boss about acquiring you and then with his permission they ask you. They are offering a boatload more money for you to barely change anything you are doing and you can still talk to all your old friends and work with them a lot. I'm not sure if that qualifies as being a sellout or doing the smart thing for yourself.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Elcheris said:
I'm going to assume you have a job. So your contract is about to expire and a company who does the exact same thing as your other one, talks to your boss about acquiring you and then with his permission they ask you. They are offering a boatload more money for you to barely change anything you are doing and you can still talk to all your old friends and work with them a lot. I'm not sure if that qualifies as being a sellout or doing the smart thing for yourself.

HAVE YOU NO HONOURU

Home

Elcheris said:

I don't think he's a sellout at all. Just trying to see it from pancakes and about a million TL.net posters eyes XD

Keikaku

Elcheris said:

EG just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Starcraft culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in basketball where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Starcraft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the viewing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch any of HuK's games, nor will they purchase any of EG's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EG has alienated an entire market with this move.

EG, publicly apologize and cancel HuK's contract or you can kiss your business goodbye.

BigAT

Keikaku said:
EG just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Starcraft culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in basketball where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Starcraft, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the viewing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch any of HuK's games, nor will they purchase any of EG's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but EG has alienated an entire market with this move.

EG, publicly apologize and cancel HuK's contract or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Well played.

cdyhybrid

What's a safe, standard, cheese-proof TvT build to practice? I've been going for a 3rax stim timing, but sometimes they rush to tanks and I have to back off. I even got bunker rushed one game on Antiga Shipyard (I think) and held it off but I was so far behind that when his elevator push came (thanks Blizzard for designing positional imbalances into your ladder maps!) I couldn't hold it off. Made my blood boil.

Bunker rushes normally wouldn't be a problem (who bunker rushes in TvT, I mean seriously) but he came at the perfect time right as my 2nd and 3rd rax were building and my reactor was building on my first rax so I had to pull a ton of SCVs to stop it.

HolyCheck said:
This angers everyone else right?

A hallucination?

AN.

I dunno what you speak down there in Aussieland but in English "a hallucination" is perfectly normal :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
huk and just about every other currently successful starcraft pro are going to end up being that 30 year old guy taking his first year of college eventually. they deserve to be paid well to offset that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
wait, miniwheat started school today? holy shit, MEGATON.

ten bucks says he strangles a protoss with his mouse.

Pancakes

You guys just don't understand what this means. Soon it wont be about the game, the fans, or team loyalty. The players will only care about their salaries.

Team EG is ruining E-sports.

With DOTA 2 and LOL getting mad bank thrown up for their tournaments I wonder if many notable SC2 guys who can't macro will make the switch.

Havent heard much from Moonglade in a while.

I don't root for teams, I tend to root for races. As a zerg player the majority of my favorite players are zerg - Nestea, Dimaga, Destiny, etc; I also like guys like MC. During tournaments I tend to root for foreigners over Koreans outside of a few occasions as well.

The teams are almost meaningless to me. I like the idea of good players getting together to better themselves, so if a good team achieves that I'm all for it. Personally I'm not a Huk fan, although I'm glad he won last night.

867-5309 said:
Where do they get/come up with the maps for iccup? Some of these are weird and crazy and I want more of them.
they have a mapmaking team

PhoenixDark said:
I don't root for teams, I tend to root for races. As a zerg player the majority of my favorite players are zerg - Nestea, Dimaga, Destiny, etc; I also like guys like MC. During tournaments I tend to root for foreigners over Koreans outside of a few occasions as well.

I agree that it's players more than teams that I follow but I also really think thats more to do with there not being enough team league stuff. I love watching the gstl and seeing hoseo keep suprising and DRG bailing out MVP every series (except the most recent one).

It's kinda hard to see the downside of this move. It means we get Idra back in Korea and it opens up room for more foreign players to move into the EG house.

As for Huk how can anyone blame him? This isn't like Lebron where he will make millions either way. This is Huks chance to actually make a good living from SC so he can be somewhat set up when he finishes career (which is pretty young).

HolyCheck

drewbies heading to korea to stay with mvp for 6 weeks, bit of a training bootcamp.

good idea, i hope it serves him well in the lead up to hte next mlg

Home

pieatorium said:
With DOTA 2 and LOL getting mad bank thrown up for their tournaments I wonder if many notable SC2 guys who can't macro will make the switch.

Havent heard much from Moonglade in a while.

Well, it is well known Tyler is huge LoL fan. Hmm...

Home said:
I guess he's a sell out because he obviously did it for the money.

I don't understand this sentiment AT ALL.

Do you people go to work out of altruism? Is doing things in exchange for money being a 'sell-out' now? If you work at a company, and a competitor approaches you and says, 'We value your expertise and will pay you 2x your current income," do all you guys turn that down? Sure as hell you won't.

Same with Jinro. He said somewhere in a post that if he ended up playing SC2 for money (as he suggesting Huk is doing), he'd quit and play poker instead. It's a very strange sentiment, this disparaging of the idea of people being financially rewarded for their expertise at something.

Pancakes

It's not just about the money.

HuK used to be the arrogant kinda okay player that could only 4 gate people. Liquid saw his potential, brought him on, trained him, put him in a Korean practice house where he could home his skills and become the beast he his today.

And how does he repay them? He joins EG because they wagged some money in his face. Fuck loyalty, who cares right?

You show respect to those who gave you your first shot at something great. That's all I'm saying.

Corran Horn

Pancakes said:

HuK used to be the arrogant kinda okay player that could only 4 gate people. Liquid saw his potential, brought him on, trained him, put him in a Korean practice house where he could home his skills and become the beast he his today.

And how does he repay them? He joins EG because they wagged some money in his face. Fuck loyalty, who cares right?

You show respect to those who gave you your first shot at something great. That's all I'm saying.
If its anything like professional sports. There is no loyalty bro!

HolyCheck

Pancakes said:

if they're offering you $100,000 compared to $15,000, yes you do.

Pancakes said:

No offense but this is such bullshit, Huk has to earn a living. I don't know how much he was getting payed previously but i'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is a pretty massive step up. This is his chance to really set himself up for life.

Personally i think it's ridiculous for anyone to make comments like yours. How much money do you make? Have you turned down a significant salary to stay at a company who isn't paying you much? Who are you to tell Huk that he should turn down all this money just because of loyalty?

Loyalty has it's limits and Huk made the right decision here. Also as Panda mentioned Huk easily paid for himself with the results he gave TL.

Jeff-DSA

Pancakes said:

Eh, these players have a pretty short shelf life. One metagame shift that they can't adapt to and they're done. They really need to take the money while they can.

Won

Pancakes said:

Repay them? Is he supposed to sacrifice a goat for TL or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom