• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:
Wait, why does that pony have a feather (?) taped on with the number 15?
you'll find the answer in this innocent box of answers:
Mj3AZ.png

clav

Ultrabum said:
So much talk not about Starcraft, how about that overpowered Protoss air???
Build OP cost-effective air unit Viking. That range.

Counters all Protoss units on the high tech tree.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Viking = OP

Fact

Q8D3vil

Yoshichan said:
Viking = OP

Fact
its the only air unit that doesn't have any other ability that attacking air (ignoring how shit it is in ground battle except landing on tanks in tvt).

phoenix, muta and banshee = excellent harass and mobility

corrupter = morph to broodlord + good anti air.

void ray = perfect early game air.

bc's and carriers = we don't see them anyway.

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
its the only air unit that doesn't have any other ability that attacking air (ignoring how shit it is in ground battle except landing on tanks in tvt).

phoenix, muta and banshee = excellent harass and mobility

corrupter = morph to broodlord + good anti air.

void ray = perfect early game air.

bc's and carriers = we don't see them anyway.

I like how corrupters plus side is that it can actually morph into another actually useful unit, not sure how great it is against air, I guess it beats phoenix at least.
Why do you consider viking so bad? I admit the ground mode isn't awesome but I have seen in many GSL games where the Terran wins the battle against colossus Protoss and then lands the vikings to help clearing out other units.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
claviertekky said:
Make Terran build a Fusion core or have it researched in the tech lab.
But but but how would I be able to scout battlecruisers?!

Q8D3vil

MrKnives said:
I like how corrupters plus side is that it can actually morph into another actually useful unit, not sure how great it is against air, I guess it beats phoenix at least.
Why do you consider viking so bad? I admit the ground mode isn't awesome but I have seen in many GSL games where the Terran wins the battle against colossus Protoss and then lands the vikings to help clearing out other units.
corrupter are almost as good as vikiking but they lack the range, zerg get muta anyway so they don't bother getting them unless they need broodlords. the morph into other unit because you can easily morph in half of them and keep the other half as anti air on the fly.
viking ground mod only works for tanking damage(except tvt), they are not cost effective at all in ground mode.

i agree they are the best air unit, but there is a reason for that.

Q8D3vil

I feel like the Viking needs to have a range upgrade researched as opposed to having it out of the box, so the Viking has a range of 6 at first.

Make Terran build a Fusion core or have it researched in the tech lab.

Remember Marauders used to have Concussion Shells out of the box.
viking is a reactionary unit, you won't get them to randomly in tvp or tvz, they are there as counter specific units (broodlords and coloss for example).

plus making range an upgrade will break tvp because fast coloss rush will be broken.

clav

Weren't marauders a reactionary unit at the time when roaches and stalkers were the only units used?

Yeah, Vikings counter Broodlords and Colossus, but too easily with that range. It seems unfair as high tech units require so much money.

Yoshichan

claviertekky said:
Scan.

You can still build vikings before tech lab.
No, I mean if you need fusion core to upgrade viking range, it would be hard to scout for bc's :p People would go fusion core just for the upgrade anyway.

clav

Yoshichan said:
No, I mean if you need fusion core to upgrade viking range, it would be hard to scout for bc's :p People would go fusion core just for the upgrade anyway.
Ah. Then, there's my other suggestion of requiring a tech lab to research range.

Yoshichan

claviertekky said:
Ah. Then, there's my other suggestion of requiring a tech lab for research.
Yep, as a terran I'd complain about this change but still, starport tech labs is so bad (banshees, cloak, that's it).

Won

claviertekky said:
Weren't marauders a reactionary unit at the time when roaches and stalkers were the only units used?

Yeah, Vikings counter Broodlords and Colossus, but too easily with that range. It seems unfair as high tech units require so much money.

"Unfair" is an odd word to use for a counter.

MrKnives

@_Rinnegan_tweeted: @WoWnStarcraft I'm a big fan of the GSL but the new pictures of code S players with mascara is really dumb..they look like ladyboys.

@WoWnStarcraft (Jungwon Chae, director of GSL) replied: @_Rinnegan_ hehe sorry.. We will stop that next season.

Thank god.

Yoshichan

MrKnives said:
@_Rinnegan_tweeted: @WoWnStarcraft I'm a big fan of the GSL but the new pictures of code S players with mascara is really dumb..they look like ladyboys.

@WoWnStarcraft (Jungwon Chae, director of GSL) replied: @_Rinnegan_ hehe sorry.. We will stop that next season.

Thank god.

thank you based god. That shit looked horrible

Yoshichan

PhoenixDark said:
thank you based god. That shit looked horrible
Some of them, probably. But Foxer?

nPpyn.jpg

Yoshichan

Bad taste ._.

MrKnives

2qjd5bb.jpg
gsl-eye-liner-make-up-560x322.png

Fruitdealer and Genius kinda pulled it off ok but Anypro and Clide are scary as hell. I'm glad they are taking it away. Just after they show HuK with the make-up!

Alicia and Trickster probably were the most horrible of them all though.

Mairu

MrKnives said:
2qjd5bb.jpg
gsl-eye-liner-make-up-560x322.png

Fruitdealer and Genius kinda pulled it off ok but Anypro and Clide are scary as hell. I'm glad they are taking it away. Just after they show HuK with the make-up!

Alicia and Trickster probably were the most horrible of them all though.
Huk tweeted that he avoided getting the makeup unfortunately

Even managed to make Nada look bad ;(

Dooraven

claviertekky said:
The range is unfair without research.

You can still counter those units with the range nerf.

Uh no it's not, the reason why Vikings have such a large range is because other wise they would be decimated by stalkers. Vikings are fine in general due to their shitty everything else.

The only problem with vikings is maybe they counter VRs too effectively but that's about it.

There isn't anything that is broken much in TvP really (besides maybe EMP). 20ish Vikings will be able to oneshot a colossus but I dunno why you wouldn't tech switch or go pheonix/colossus before 20 vikings.

Haunted

Are there vods of the MLG 4th of July cast up? I've seen SotG uploaded on the MLG page, but I wanted to skim some of the showmatches.

Can't you use Viking morph to harass your opponents mineral line? I know Terran has a ton of harasses but I think that's only happened to me once.

cdyhybrid

So ladders are locked now right? This means I can now ladder and blow through my bonus pool without fear of dropping out of Plat!

Corruptors are easily the worst air to air unit, they are one of the worst unit in the game period.

Blizzard definitely needs to go back to the design board with both the Corruptor and the Hydra for the new expansion.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheThunder said:
Corruptors are easily the worst air to air unit, they are one of the worst unit in the game period.
thank you, nobody would believe if i had been the one to say it.

devourer to corruptor is the biggest downgrade in the bw-sc2 transition. -.- how do you go from something so monstrously strong to... whatever the corruptor is.

jasonng

The existence of the corrupters probably has to do with the hydra being a immobile tier 2 unit. Was the hydra suppose to be a defensive anti-air while the corrupters are there for aggressive? Either way, I agree that they're easily the worst compared to the other races' respective counterparts. I'll be more than happy if their existence was gone and I can morph a brood lord straight from a larvae.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jasonng said:
The existence of the corrupters probably has to do with the hydra being a immobile tier 2 unit. Was the hydra suppose to be a defensive anti-air while the corrupters are there for aggressive? Either way, I agree that they're easily the worst compared to the other races' respective counterparts. I'll be more than happy if their existence was gone and I can morph a brood lord straight from a larvae.
gone and replaced by the scourge. >:3

V_Arnold

Corruptors need their damage and usefulness totally redesigned. It is a good idea to have a "damage increase debuff", but not this way. Its usefulness is reduced to be "good" against the following:

- Thors
- Archons
- Colossuses
- BC/Carriers
- Ultralisks

Colossues are pretty hard to target down all when they are inside a deathball, and they are the only units that the corruptors are actually usable against (not counting BC/Carriers). Against other air units, Corruptors fire too slowly, something which their range can not possibly compensate against :(

Sometimes I get the feeling that some units were designed with other, since then removed mechanics in the developer's mind. Corruption as a spell would only work good if it was an aoe cloud. Would not destroy micro in a way that FF does to the opponent, would not lock down enemies like fungal, and it would not damage by itself. I can imagine they did not want to have the option for a massable unit that, combined with Infestor, could easily aoe-nuke huge clumps of units, regardless of what is inside.

But as of right now, Corruptor is stuck between "counter to something, but not really good if you have to resort to it" and "we want you to cast something with it, but we do not want it to become a powerful caster choice". If they really are a stepping stone only, make them one supply. Or make them cost the same as a Viking, not more. That is one way to change them. Other would be to make them way more versatile, even if it includes removing their spell. Make corruption work like Void Ray's beam: corruptor shot makes the target vulnerable for the next shot - but only from the corruptor. But make it shoot faster so this ability actually worths anything.

V_Arnold

In a way, it is the perfectly opposite unit to something like Siege Tank. With sieges, if you had enough of them, you could think "okay, ground battles are pretty much under MY control. Now I only have to worry about a potential AIR switch, but then, before that happens, I can be a hammer and pressure/kill with this ground force". With Corruptor, if you got lots of them, you can think "okay, if my opponent goes AIR-heavy, I might be okay. Now..to worry about ground".

Except, there is no pressure in not having air superiority when you are against a zerg. You just ignore it. Your buildings are not in the air. Colossus is actually quite similar to Siege in that regard: have enough of them, and you will only have to worry about air. Any ground force you will be able to deal with the way you choose, at the place you would like.

BigAT

cdyhybrid said:
So ladders are locked now right? This means I can now ladder and blow through my bonus pool without fear of dropping out of Plat!
Kind of. You wouldn't drop this season, but you could potentially drop the second you play your placement match for season 3. It's kind of misleading the way Blizzard talks about ladder lock.

cdyhybrid

BigAT said:
Kind of. You wouldn't drop this season, but you could potentially drop the second you play your placement match for season 3. It's kind of misleading the way Blizzard talks about ladder lock.

Oh yeah I know that. I have two weeks to get my MMR up if I go on a losing streak though. I just wanna get top 8 in my plat division before the end of the season :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BigAT said:
Pick your race

Deadman

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/balance-bear-hugs-and-bad-beats-with-idra

MLG interview with idra

MLG: Heart of the Swarm is just around the corner. If you were able to take over the role of lead multiplayer design, what changes would you implement?

Idra:

- Allow Fungal Growth to be cast while burrowed
- Increase Hydralisk speed
- Decrease Ultralisk size
- Make Fungal Growth a slowing spell instead of freezing spell
- Decrease Marine rate of fire
- Lower Collosus damage
- Make Forcefield destructible with no target priority
- Increase Stalker damage and give them slower movement speed or higher Blink cooldown

More at link

WedgeX

Banned
My headset died in a tragic vacuum incident. Back to just listening on mumble until I get back from the West Coast and the next paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom