• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooraven

mescalineeyes said:
Is TvP really that bad right now? I haven't seen a Protoss win that matchup on Pro level in a long time.

Uhh

Sage all killed fOU which included sC and asd
Tassadar crushed Nobelesse, Puzzle 2-0ed MMA
Genius went 2-0 in his group v Terrans

TvP is pretty much the most balanced Match up at the moment (excluding mirrors obviously)

Q8D3vil

mescalineeyes said:
Is TvP really that bad right now? I haven't seen a Protoss win that matchup on Pro level in a long time.
terran pro's are doing some new builds to fe so they won't be FF and contained in their base, which is really cool.

early and late game favor toss if they want to play macro game, there is a good timing window to try drops and some fast ghost timing.

Vaporak

Dooraven said:
Uhh

Sage all killed fOU which included sC and asd
Tassadar crushed Nobelesse, Puzzle 2-0ed MMA
Genius went 2-0 in his group v Terrans

TvP is pretty much the most balanced Match up at the moment (excluding mirrors obviously)

That's very recent though, in the super tournament PvT winrate was at 25.8% according to GOM statistics. Sage/Puzzle/Tassadar showed up when P badly needed some more strong players in the GSL.

Dooraven

Jeff-DSA said:
It kinda feels like the ONLY balanced match right now. It's easily the most enjoyable to watch and play in.

From the recent GSL yeah pretty much. Besides Sage, both Terran and Protoss seem to stuck in the phase of "I must kill Zerg before infestor/brood lord is out" which usually just means a 2/3 base all in. Sometimes Protoss like Choya and Sage do cool stuff with warp prism and ff ramp but generally it's pretty boring.

TvP has so many options from 111, to fast ghost, to 6 gate to 3 gate blink to a standard macro game. It's quite fun.

That's very recent though, in the super tournament PvT winrate was at 25.8% according to GOM statistics. Sage/Puzzle/Tassadar showed up when P badly needed some more strong players in the GSL.

Well yeah, the crop of protoss players in the ST weren't really that great, before sage/puzzle/tassadar protoss was carried by MC and that was it. MC got knocked out in a PvP by alicia so protoss struggled heavily in gsl st

Jeff-DSA

Dooraven said:
From the recent GSL yeah pretty much. Besides Sage, both Terran and Protoss seem to stuck in the phase of "I must kill Zerg before infestor/brood lord is out" which usually just means a 2/3 base all in. Sometimes Protoss like Choya and Sage do cool stuff with warp prism and ff ramp but generally it's pretty boring.

TvP has so many options from 111, to fast ghost, to 6 gate to 3 gate blink to a standard macro game. It's quite fun.

It's because it's true. Terran is dead if Brood Lords and Infestors are out in numbers. Heck, just a high Muta count with Banelings rolling around about makes things impossible unless the Zerg player makes a bad mistake.

Dooraven

Jeff-DSA said:
It's because it's true. Terran is dead if Brood Lords and Infestors are out in numbers. Heck, just a high Muta count with Banelings rolling around about makes things impossible unless the Zerg player makes a bad mistake.

I'm not saying it's not true, it quite obviously is (but maybe Byun has shown hope), I'm just listing the reasons why most games v Zerg have been quite boring.

MrKnives

Jeff-DSA said:
It kinda feels like the ONLY balanced match right now. It's easily the most enjoyable to watch and play in.

By that do you mean ZvT and ZvP heavily favors Zerg right now? Just for fun who has advanced to RO16 in GSL July to this date.

5 T
4 Z
3 P

I would call that pretty ok. Lets not even go to Code A.
I know GSL doesn't say everything but I'm just curious why TvP is the only balanced matchup?

MrKnives said:
By that do you mean ZvT and ZvP heavily favors Zerg right now? Just for fun who has advanced to RO16 in GSL July to this date.

5 T
4 Z
3 P

I would call that pretty ok. Lets not even go to Code A.
I know GSL doesn't say everything but I'm just curious why TvP is the only balanced matchup?

Recently in GSL TvZ has heavily favoured terran and PvZ has heavily favoured zerg.

twofold

This happens after each and every patch/metagame shift.

Zerg start winning, Terran and Protoss players complain about how they need to do early all-ins before Zerg gets <insert "unbeatable" unit combination here> to win, meta game shifts so Zerg start losing, Zergs starting whining, patch/metagame shift; repeat ad nauseum.

It's so ridiculously stupid.

Jeff-DSA

twofold said:
This happens after each and every patch/metagame shift.

Zerg start winning, Terran and Protoss players complain about how they need to do early all-ins before Zerg gets <insert "unbeatable" unit combination here> to win, meta game shifts so Zerg start losing, Zergs starting whining, patch/metagame shift; repeat ad nauseum.

It's so ridiculously stupid.

No, it's actually true that Zerg gets to an unbeatable mix. The big problem is that they can tech switch so quickly while Terran and Protoss can't because they need the unit producing structures. Zerg builds one spire and all of a sudden can make a ton of Mutas in a short period of time. For a Terran to go air, they need to produce several starports to produce similar numbers. So if Terran tech switches to deal with Mutas (Thors/Marines), Zerg can quickly change to Infestors and Brood Lords, and all of a sudden Terran needs to mass up Ghosts, Vikings, and Marines. It's just impossible for Terran to keep up with how quickly Zerg transitions from one composition to another if you let them tech up too far.

MrKnives

Jeff-DSA said:
No, it's actually true that Zerg gets to an unbeatable mix. The big problem is that they can tech switch so quickly while Terran and Protoss can't because they need the unit producing structures. Zerg builds one spire and all of a sudden can make a ton of Mutas in a short period of time. For a Terran to go air, they need to produce several starports to produce similar numbers. So if Terran tech switches to deal with Mutas (Thors/Marines), Zerg can quickly change to Infestors and Brood Lords, and all of a sudden Terran needs to mass up Ghosts, Vikings, and Marines. It's just impossible for Terran to keep up with how quickly Zerg transitions from one composition to another if you let them tech up too far.

How is that confirming your statement. Zergs needed one building and has always been able to tech swich or mass produce units and it has been just fine in BW and all through beta to this date and now suddenly people are going WE CAN'T BEAT THAT. Terran isn't supposed to "keep up with them" in terms of production, though marines kinda contradict even that because with reactors you can make them quite fast.

Going from Infestors into broodlords isn't really an huge tech switch. It's a transition they do to win games.
"If terran switches to Thors to deal with mutas Zerg can just switch to Infestor and Broodlords." yea it's that easy and safe.

I guess Terrans can whine just as much as the Zergs.

twofold

Jeff-DSA said:

I've been hearing these same arguments for over a year now. People say the same old shit and then not too long after the metagame shifts as people learn to deal with new Zerg strat.

People should play more and whine less.

Or, at the very least, look at Brood War's history of metagame shifts before crying that something is overpowered/broken.

Q8D3vil

How is that confirming your statement. Zergs needed one building and has always been able to tech swich or mass produce units and it has been just fine in BW and all through beta to this date and now suddenly people are going WE CAN'T BEAT THAT. Terran isn't supposed to "keep up with them" in terms of production, though marines kinda contradict even that because with reactors you can make them quite fast.

Going from Infestors into broodlords isn't really an huge tech switch. It's a transition they do to win games.
"If terran switches to Thors to deal with mutas Zerg can just switch to Infestor and Broodlords." yea it's that easy and safe.

i agree with you, terran current problem is being able to expand in tvz (very hard because of mass muta play) not tech switching. that is why we are seeing 2 and 3 bases timing because they cant let the zerg mass muta.

Jeff-DSA

MrKnives said:

It's not whining. I'm just explaining why Terran has to kill Zerg quickly. And honestly, tech switching is definitely safer for Zerg than any other race.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
You guys talk alot. Lets dance if you want to. You can leave your friends behind.

nadadance2.gif

V_Arnold

Jeff-DSA said:

That quickness involves having 1000-2000+ gas stockpiled, I am pretty sure if Terran has that much of stockpiled gas, he can easily set up 4-5 Starports and/or Factorys at once. Not to mention that nothing stops them from setting these production facilities up way before zerg has a lategame composition. Especially on 3+ bases.

Devil, your muta problem does not exist in the real world :)

cdyhybrid

Let's be serious here. The game isn't balanced unless the top 16 of every tournament is Terran. 3/4 Terran in the quarterfinals is clear evidence that Terran is underpowered.

The game is extremely close to balanced. The same whining that is going on about BL/Infestor is the same as the whining about the Protoss deathball. Terrans (other than Byun) seem to be the only players who refuse to use their caster units in both matchups. We've seen heavy Ghost usage vs. Zerg in one? GSL match and it worked pretty damn well. Maybe we should explore that avenue before we declare the matchup imbalanced.

MrKnives

Jeff-DSA said:
It's not whining. I'm just explaining why Terran has to kill Zerg quickly. And honestly, tech switching is definitely safer for Zerg than any other race.

Most of the time after release when Zergs didn't win a single game against Terran everyone were saying "well just do tech switches" well now they are, you asked for it.
It's a Zerg thing to do so of course it's easier and safer because Zerg doesn't need to have 15 spires.
You are just listing the abilities that Zerg has and Terran doesn't and say it's imbalanced. I call it just being different from the other races.
Same as me saying that turtle play is easier for terran and you can just expand, make pf with siege tanks an turrets and bunkers and TAKE THE WHOLE MAP. It's easier for terran to defend.
That doesn't mean shit really. You can't really tech switch into 20 mutas without having 2000 gas spare gas whcih usually involves 200/200 anyways and the same gas for Terran. Do something with it.
Also your explanation of you not whining is the same that Zergs have been giving since beta.

Edit: Corran that pic is <3

Q8D3vil

Devil, your muta problem does not exist in the real world :)
its not my problem, my 6 rax win me or lose me the game before any muta pop out.
latest simple examples mvp vs zenio and zenio vs byun yesterday. any terran vs zenexLine in the previous gsl st.
terran will figure out something, or blizzard will nerf something.
i don't know, i'm hoping for the best.

pieatorium said:
You should word things better then and I still think giving the US scene no credit for how good Huk is right now is still delusional.
There is some delusion alright but I'm afraid I'm not it...

Trickster

slidewinder said:
Why is the US in particular so godawful at this game, though? Just too much COD and Halo I guess?

The US doesn't have a very strong pc culture compared to europe or asia, mainly because consoles are so popular in the US, so obviously you'll see less good players coming out of the US than EU or Asia. You see the same thing in games like WoW, european guilds dominate US guilds when it comes to completing the new content.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
slidewinder said:
Why is the US in particular so godawful at this game, though? Just too much COD and Halo I guess?

RedGamer said:
I've spent about two minutes musing where I wanted to post on GAF for the first time. Starcraft II thread seems like the right place.

How do GAF Nights usually work for SC2? Is it practically random what types of games are played? etc?

Is it alright if I'm only silver league?

You'll be able to play me bwahaha!

But just show up to the chat channel around nine, and we fool around, play some 1v1s or UMS games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Come on guys, it's not just the US that's terrible at the game... it's all of North America.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Panda's not gonna be happy about this

CzarTim

Despite playing (and loving) the beta, and continuing to enjoy watching matches on YouTube, I've still yet to actually buy the game. Going to rectify that this week.

Good luck, have Batman.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

CzarTim said:
Batman Batman Batman
GEEEEEEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yoshichan

CzarTim said:
Martian or Regular-Ass?
Regular, Chocolate, CHOCOLATE, SAUCE

Yoshichan

&#9829; amazin'

Yoshichan

Ok we will! :(

CzarTim, you EU bro :D?

Yoshichan

Graaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh :( Oh well...

I swear I'm switching to US soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom