• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striek

Slavik81 said:
Yeah, this thread is kind of incomprehensible. Day9 made some announcement that had something to do with new websites, google and 4 people?
http://afterhoursgaming.tv/press/
Tech Giants Amazon, Dropbox, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Yelp and Zynga, enlisted for upcoming gaming battle.

Los Angeles, CA – July 5, 2011 – Taking their battles off the technology platform, the most prestigious high tech companies in the world have been recruited to compete in the ultimate gamer showdown, the After Hours Gaming League.

The After Hours Gaming League will feature top tech talent duking it out on the virtual battlefields of the real time strategy game, StarCraft 2. The event, which starts on Thursday June 30th and runs for 9 consecutive weeks, is predicted to attract hundreds of thousands of viewers globally.

Each week, the corporate teams will present their named employees to battle against the contending technology firms. The tournament will culminate in an exciting final playoff round to be broadcast live on August 19 from the Facebook campus in Palo Alto, CA.

Organized and hosted by Sean “Day[9]” Plott, co-founder of Day9.TV, popular internet television host and PC Gamer’s “2010 Gamer of the Year,” this event is part of a push to introduce “eSports” or competitive gaming into mainstream culture.

MrKnives

PepsiGsl.jpg

Casted by Tastosis.

2095.jpg
VS
590.jpg
VS
1903.jpg
VS
951.jpg

sC<Tal'Darim Altar> MVP
Zenio <Terminus SE> Byun
winner of match 1 <Crossfire SE> winner of match 2
loser of match 1 <Crevasse> loser of match 2
Final Match on <Xel'Naga Caverns>

147.jpg
VS
2242.jpg
VS
1901.jpg
VS
26.jpg

NaDa
<Tal'Darim Altar> Keen
HongUn <Terminus SE> SuperNoVa
winner of match 1 <Xel'Naga Fortress> winner of match 2
loser of match 1 <Crevasse> loser of match 2
Final Match on Metalopolis

Stream:
http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors4/live/

Go Go watch it. Great game from sC vs MVP.

ultron87

This AfterHours league only really seems interesting in the fact that it involves some really big name companies getting involved in E-Sports.

I already have way too much Starcraft to watch to actually consider using some of that time on watching scrubs play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshichan said:
Okay so the screen I'm about to buy doesn't have HDMI... it has DVI-I and VGA. Which one is better for 1080p? And are there "good" cables and "bad" cables or can I buy any sort?

Haunted

ultron87 said:
This AfterHours league only really seems interesting in the fact that it involves some really big name companies getting involved in E-Sports.

I already have way too much Starcraft to watch to actually consider using some of that time on watching scrubs play.
Exactly.

But I'm fairly certain he basically said that it isn't for existing SC2 fans, but mostly the casual watchers who check out the Day9 daily and maybe a couple vods of Husky and Totalbiscuit.

It's like watching Penny Arcade play Table Tennis against the gaming development houses in their area (Bungie, Gamehouse etc.) If you're a Table Tennis fan or player yourself, there's little to "gain" from watching them except seeing people you like having fun doing the same things you do.

I guess it's kinda the same for this league?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank you Haunted! Is DVI also sound or just screen?

Haunted

Yoshichan said:
Thank you Haunted! Is DVI also sound or just screen?
DVI is a video and audio interface, just like HDMI.

edit: or is it? erp, let me look that up just in case.

edit²: Ok, my bad. Apparently it doesn't support digital audio? Makes sense if you think about it, DVI means Digital Video Interface after all.

Yoshichan

Awesoooooooome, TY man! Buying the screen asap

edit: also, is LED like Plasma? That it will burn the image if it stays on the screen? Is LED viable for gaming?

Haunted

edit: hey, reading the previous page I think I found another reason why Zerg players are generally hated by everyone else playing SC2: they're particularly prone to do that pony shit

Yoshichan said:
Awesoooooooome, TY man! Buying the screen asap

edit: also, is LED like Plasma? That it will burn the image if it stays on the screen? Is LED viable for gaming?
As I doubt that it is a true LED (fucking expensive!) but rather an LCD screen with LED backlighting, it won't burn in, no. It's viable for gaming.

edit: not that a true LED would burn in either, just saying. :p

Yoshichan

Haunted said:
edit²: Ok, my bad. Apparently it doesn't support digital audio? Makes sense if you think about it, DVI means Digital Video Interface after all.
Hmm, I'm quite teh stupid... but this screen I'm buying only has "DVI-D" and "VGA"... so how am I supposed to get sound ._.?

ultron87

Yoshichan said:
Hmm, I'm quite teh stupid... but this screen I'm buying only has "DVI-D" and "VGA"... so how am I supposed to get sound ._.?

Through speakers that are separate from the monitor I'd assume.

MrKnives

I doubt it's a pure LED monitor?
LED computer monitors are only referred as "LED" even though they are just the same as LCD monitos but uses LED backlight instead of florescent backlight.

Yoshichan

Yeah haha, sorry. It says "background light: LED"

Haunted

Yoshichan said:
Just use speakers like the rest of us.

Yoshichan

Haunted said:
Just use speakers like the rest of us.
Haha, was just wondering to be honest... I'm using headphones 24/7 anyway so~

Anyway, bought a 24"... fuck you guys if I won't be able to play SC2 because of this big ass screen. If I lose to zerg on ladder, I'll switch back asap.

Yoshichan said:

It isn't a television where the speakers are part of the screen. Rather you hook up the screen to your tower just like you hook the speakers up to the tower, unless that old monitor had speakers attached, then you are going to need to purchase some speakers also.

So yeah, thanks for the suggestions. 6Rax is definitely working out against zerg and gave me the confidence to try other openings and pressure tactics. Even if I don't win the game after the second wave of reinforcements I double gas, then expand after the 3rd wave.

Going to stick with 1-1-1 for TvT/P.

jasonng

Yoshichan said:

Anyway, bought a 24"... fuck you guys if I won't be able to play SC2 because of this big ass screen. If I lose to zerg on ladder, I'll switch back asap.
We're enhancing your experience, bro. You should be having fucking orgasms while laddering now. Even with Zerg.

Horsemama1956 said:
So yeah, thanks for the suggestions. 6Rax is definitely working out against zerg and gave me the confidence to try other openings and pressure tactics. Even if I don't win the game after the second wave of reinforcements I double gas, then expand after the 3rd wave.

Fuck, we just taught another terran how to roflstomp us. 6rax is so bullshit. :(

MrKnives

Yoshichan said:

I have been playing for a long time on my 24" 1920x1080 screen and I couldn't ever go back to anything smaller. Everytime I play at my friends house I feel like I'm stuck playing the game zoomed in.

Yoshichan

Loving the sound of this! Fucking HYPE!

Q8D3vil

Yoshichan said:

24 is small, but whatever makes you happy!!

6rax is great bo, there is also the fast 3 rax all in.
111 is not bad in tvp and it will make you familiar with the units.

111 is amazing for tvt though.

Yoshichan

Q8D3vil said:
24 is small, but whatever makes you happy!!
I'm rich and COULD be buying a 60000" or anything else that would please you... but that's not viable.

jasonng

Q8D3vil said:
6rax is great bo, there is also the fast 3 rax all in.
111 is not bad in tvp and it will make you familiar with the units.

111 is amazing for tvt though.
Don't think he's looking for all ins you cheeser. Also, don't completely rule out the 111 build against Zerg. If you're on a map with far ground positions, banshee harass can be extremely effective.

Ah, fuck me. I should just switch to terran already.

Q8D3vil

jasonng said:
Don't think he's looking for all ins you cheeser. Also, don't completely rule out the 111 build against Zerg. If you're on a map with far ground positions, banshee harass can be extremely effective.

Ah, fuck me. I should just switch to terran already.
oh yeah, 112 (2 port banshee) is the greatest tvz build ever, snipe the spire and you are golden, oh god i miss these days when zergs were clueless.

if you switch you will bitch about zerg

jasonng

Q8D3vil said:
oh yeah, 112 (2 port banshee) is the greatest tvz build ever, snipe the spire and you are golden, oh god i miss these days when zergs were clueless.

if you switch you will bitch about zerg
Just mentioning the 112 build makes my blood boil. I'm still clueless on how to defend a proxy 2 port banshee harass.

Q8D3vil

jasonng said:
Just mentioning the 112 build makes my blood boil. I'm still clueless on how to defend a proxy 2 port banshee harass.
when you see the 2 port just get 1 spore per base and extra queen for each base.
you will be way far ahead because the Terran eco will be way behind.
but i'm a terran so there is probably a better and more effective solution.

in other news, holyfuck SlayerS_Dragon streamis gooooooood, how come i didn't know about him until now.

MrKnives

112 comes so rarely that I do lose to it once in a while but because of how rare it is, I just shrug it off and go own another terran who doesn't do it.
ZvT is very fragile matchup and one small mistake from either one can win/lose you the game and that's why people whine about it. People from both races.

People should just get a long and strive to get better at it! It's a pretty well balanced game.

zoukka

Yoshichan said:
I'm rich and COULD be buying a 60000" or anything else that would please you... but that's not viable.

I'm sporting a 32' and it's fine really.

Actually my home set looks tiny compared to the command deck at work :b

Pandaman said:
inb4 people sart including ladder rank in resumes to google. xD

You wouldn't believe how much my SC2 "career" helped me in a job interview last week :bbbb

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Haunted said:
edit: hey, reading the previous page I think I found another reason why Zerg players are generally hated by everyone else playing SC2: they're particularly prone to do that pony shit
dont make me get another guest pass and come over there.

jasonng

Haunted said:
Get it straight. We hate everyone, not the other way around. You love us despite the pony spam. And I will give one of my guest pass to panda.

Yoshichan

Pandaman said:
dont make me get another guest pass and come over there.
&#9829;

Just watched SOTG

So glad that Artosis is a host now, not only is he funnier than Incontrol, (which was his only positive trait anyway), but he has smarter and more articulate arguments and doesn't make up shit on the fly to try to prove something + he's not a giant 12 year old
except when he rages about ladder

Well done JP.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Haunted said:

Bu-bu-but I play Toss :(.

V_Arnold

TheThunder said:
Just watched SOTG

So glad that Artosis is a host now, not only is he funnier than Incontrol, (which was his only positive trait anyway), but he has smarter and more articulate arguments and doesn't make up shit on the fly to try to prove something + he's not a giant 12 year old
except when he rages about ladder

Well done JP.

Am I the only one who likes everyone in this scene, except for a few "ewww, not sure" guys (like Zenio, or Naniwa before when he was quoted that he cannot be defeated before some event... lol)? InControl is awesome, and I will miss him from SOTG, he had tons of classical, good moments.

not only is incontrol a giant douche, but he also:

- is not getting any (prosser won't have sex before marriage tee hee)
- believes in intelligent design
- is not that great a player

yeah, he's had exactly 2 memorable moments in SOTG, but those are never going to go away, but everything he does in the future will be tainted by his doucheyness.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Incontrol loves to talk shit, but acts like giant bitch when he's on the receiving end.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
V_Arnold said:
Am I the only one who likes everyone in this scene, except for a few "ewww, not sure" guys (like Zenio, or Naniwa before when he was quoted that he cannot be defeated before some event... lol)? InControl is awesome, and I will miss him from SOTG, he had tons of classical, good moments.

No, you're not alone. I like everyone in the SC2 scene with the exception of: ChoyaFou and Zenio. Zenio because he looks like a douche and is Idra's nemesis. ChoyaFou because...well it's Choya.

I'm a little upset with Geoff but I don't hate him by any means. He may do stupid things like hype up terrible events and stream GSL, but he means well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i forget who pointed it out, but everything you want to know about incontrol can be seen when he switches from 'we' [refering to the nasl when it was in super hype mode] to 'they' [when it started to get bad press].

MrKnives

zoukka said:
SC2 community hates all casters with equal viciousness. So healthy.

That's actually completely false.
Day9 has a cult which I don't really get why. He is ok but people would die for him.
Tastosis is godlike compared to others and I find myself watching games they cast that I wouldn't normally watch.

@Mesc where do you get your info on Inc not getting any? Thought for her I would wait or more precicely I would already proposed to her like two years ago.

V_Arnold

mescalineeyes said:
not only is incontrol a giant douche, but he also:

- is not getting any (prosser won't have sex before marriage tee hee)
- believes in intelligent design
- is not that great a player

yeah, he's had exactly 2 memorable moments in SOTG, but those are never going to go away, but everything he does in the future will be tainted by his doucheyness.

Intelligent design as in there is a hidden creator of this world, and all things are made by that creator? Or what? Is that a specific theory? If not, count me out of your friend lists aswell :D

MrKnives said:
That's actually completely false.
Day9 has a cult which I don't really get why. He is ok but people would die for him.

@Mesc where do you get your info on Inc not getting any? Thought for her I would wait or more precicely I would already proposed to her like two years ago.

Knives, it is because he is one of the most good-willed souls in the gaming community. He is dedicating serious time of his life for every beginner out there. Without him, I would not care about SC2 as an esport at all. Without him, I would be even weaker. :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
Intelligent design as in there is a hidden creator of this world, and all things are made by that creator? Or what? Is that a specific theory? If not, count me out of your friend lists aswell :D
lol what kind of larvae believes in the xel naga in this day and age.

intelligent design as in certain features of the universe cannot be explained without appealing to an intelligent cause. "this rock is proof of a creator" rather than "this rock is a consequence of creation", intelligent designs goal is to subvert accepted science, its not just a passive means to attach god to existing science like most religious scientists do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom