• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ShallNoiseUpon said:
This thread got shitted up real fast.
UcV2T.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ShallNoiseUpon said:
You forgot "NA server vs EU/KR argument"
EU = equal skill as KR

Fact

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
ShallNoiseUpon said:
You forgot "NA server vs EU/KR argument"
What argument? NA is the weakest, it's pretty much a fact, anyone disputing it is clueless.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Q8D3vil said:
at least write my name right....

iikuu, did you quit playing sc2 ?
Yea, took a little break to play other games and never really went back. Maybe if they fix the map pool, I'll start playing again.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ShallNoiseUpon said:
This thread got shitted up real fast.
EU guys wanna feel better about themselves, so they post together while na gaffers are asleep so they wont be reminded of their laughable failures every time one of them switches servers.

V_Arnold said:
What about having no LAN?
we have lan now though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrKnives said:
@Ikuu

What's wrong with the maps? :O I have DQ, Slags and Backwater vetoed and I feel the maps are fine now.
backwater gets alot of hate, but i feel the natural and ramp readjustments went along way towards making it semi viable.

Yoshichan

Q8D3vil said:
at least write my name right....
See? A bunch of whine. Typical QD3vil.

Jeff-DSA

MrKnives said:
I actually wasn't involved with the previous page shittines and not agreeing with you isn't a comprehension problem.

You're calling people whiners when they just state facts. Nobody is whining that Terran or Protoss tech switches slower than Zerg. That's a difference between the races. But since that reason exists, Terran (because they can't blink under BLs) has to get on top of Zerg early or things get out of hand. It's not a complaint, it's on observation of fact. It is a fact that you will lose to any competent Zerg if you don't pressure him throughout the game.

People can discuss a race's strengths or weaknesses without whining about it.

Yoshichan

mescalineeyes said:
you know what q8 stands for, right?
Who doesn't?

MZgNk.gif

MrKnives

Jeff-DSA said:
You're calling people whiners when they just state facts. Nobody is whining that Terran or Protoss tech switches slower than Zerg. That's a difference between the races. But since that reason exists, Terran (because they can't blink under BLs) has to get on top of Zerg early or things get out of hand. It's not a complaint, it's on observation of fact. It is a fact that you will lose to any competent Zerg if you don't pressure him throughout the game.

People can discuss a race's strengths or weaknesses without whining about it.

When he said the thread has gone to shit I thought he meant the previous page where I didn't even post. If he meant us arguing then I apologize, I don't like to whine either.

To be honest the only problem I had with your post is that you "stated facts" when you were saying Zerg is unbeatable with that combination/late game and must be killed earlier.
I just don't think you are qualified enough to state any such facts. The game has always had these "unbeatable" things that got beaten in the end.

Now you are saying you must pressure a good Zerg if you want to beat him in the lategame and with that I 100% agree, you were much harsher with your words before.
I just thought the pressure on Zerg was kinda obvious thing you had to do because getting good eco and with that having a awesome strong lategame was kinda Zergs thing.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the idea that zerg can efficiently tech switch midgame is kind of cut at the knee by zergs heavily tech requirements to make those units viable.

the mutalisk is the only zerg unit you can truly build with no strings attached, everything else needs an extra 100~ seconds atleast in research time just to be worth building. Zerg switches are a purely lategame affair where you start backteching only after establishing your hive options.

Biff

So I've hit a new TvZ ceiling against high plats. They fast expand and build two spine crawlers at their natural.. I can't seem to beat this :S

My micro is kinda awful and my APM is around 60. My 3rax+stim+concussive loses to banelings because of my bad micro... I even tried to SCV all-in with a 50 food 3rax army that hit at ~7:45 out of frustration and still managed to lose. Their reinforcing lings are just too much after the first battle.

Are there any non-micro intensive counters to the Zerg fast expand? Cloak banshees?

I know the correct answer is practise macro and micro, but I only have time to play around 5-6 games a week, so I'm kind of looking for the easy way out with a build that directly counters the zerg fast expand :p

I'd rather not resort to 6rax (that will hit before bling nest goes up) but maybe that's my answer?

TIA

LakeEarth

I think the correct answer is when you see the defended fast expand, expand yourself. Banshee's would work, but that's the kind of thing you have already planned for when you start the game.

MrKnives

ChefRamsay said:
So I've hit a new TvZ ceiling against high plats. They fast expand and build two spine crawlers at their natural.. I can't seem to beat this :S

My micro is kinda awful and my APM is around 60. My 3rax+stim+concussive loses to banelings because of my bad micro... I even tried to SCV all-in with a 50 food 3rax army that hit at ~7:45 out of frustration and still managed to lose. Their reinforcing lings are just too much after the first battle.

Are there any non-micro intensive counters to the Zerg fast expand? Cloak banshees?

I know the correct answer is practise macro and micro, but I only have time to play around 5-6 games a week, so I'm kind of looking for the easy way out with a build that directly counters the zerg fast expand :p

I'd rather not resort to 6rax (that will hit before bling nest goes up) but maybe that's my answer?

TIA

If you want a little bit cheesier opening try making like 12 blue hellions and just roll through the spines.
In most cases you either win right there or do a lot of damage and expand and keep map control with blue flame and he will be panicking. It does require you to do damage though. I do random on ladder and that's a good thing to do if you don't want a longer game.

Many Zergs make like 2 spines and think they are safe but with big numbers of BF you can just ignore them.
Better Terrans can advice you more with your lategame situation etc.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChefRamsay said:

TIA
you want to cheese but you dont want to 6 rax? uh okay.

anyway you shouldn't be building marauders against zerg, they're not very good. save on the tech labs, concussive and marauder gas and put it towards a factory and some tanks. or BF if you want, but thats slightly riskier. terrans dont see much early roach pressure but builds do exist for it.

Elcheris

Neo Member
ChefRamsay said:

TIA

The building of those spine crawlers is a pretty huge investment, there isnt a point to try and break that early on. If they make those then either their economy or offensive capabilities will be delayed for a bit (300 mineral investment + 2 drones = 8 less drones than usual, or in the case of bad aggressive zerg 12 less lings). Feel free to macro up a bit, take an expand and prepare for a marine+tank timing for when their 3rd is getting under way or trying to tech. Of course there is plenty more to do after this, but this should be a good enough start for you to practice.

Also, I wouldnt go so far as to say you need to 'counter' a zerg FE. The only real way to hardcounter it is a proxy 2-rax. It doesnt hurt to poke in and see what you can do, but get out of there before speed finishes (watch some reps and see when ling speed is done after a FE, I forget) and dont lose anything to those spines.

Anyways, since you are just looking for quick wins do proxy-2rax every game. Just leave 1 in your base so nothing is too suspiscious, might as well follow up in initial attack with scv + more marines to piss in their faces some more. Hopefully you consider my other advice though =(

Q8D3vil

ChefRamsay said:

TIA
6 rax is good bro !!!
end it while you can.

or

-you can do FE and then get marine tank army and push at 10 minute mark.
-blue flame play.
-1 port banshee fe

also, try mass mech play. i don't think zerg in platinum know how to stop it.

Yoshichan

Does 6rax mean no gas? Just mass marines with no reactors/stim?

Biff

MrKnives said:
If you want a little bit cheesier opening try making like 12 blue hellions and just roll through the spines.
In most cases you either win right there or do a lot of damage and expand and keep map control with blue flame and he will be panicking. It does require you to do damage though. I do random on ladder and that's a good thing to do if you don't want a longer game.

Many Zergs make like 2 spines and thing they are safe but with big numbers of BF you can just ignore them.
Better Terrans can advice you more with your lategame situation etc.
Hmm. I just saw this BF opening on Destiny's stream last night and it beat him. I'll take a look..

Maybe I should watch less and play more? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh lol

Pandaman said:

anyway you shouldn't be building marauders against zerg, they're not very good. save on the tech labs, concussive and marauder gas and put it towards a factory and some tanks. or BF if you want, but thats slightly riskier. terrans dont see much early roach pressure but builds do exist for it.
I know what you're saying about the cheese thing but 6rax just seems so boring. It's a very TvX cheese and I prefer having one build for each scenario that I scout. So maybe if my scout is denied then yes 6rax is a good option, but otherwise I feel like I learn a bit more by having to keep my SCV alive to scout what the Zerg is doing (rather than just scout his position and pull back to Xel Naga tower).

But again I'm gold now so there's a very good chance I'm being silly and not making much sense. :)

Your marauder tip is very good! Explains why the build works so much better against one-base zerg, as they deal with roaches so well. 2base Z never have roaches when they hit.. I can't believe I didn't see this earlier!

Biff

Elcheris said:
The building of those spine crawlers is a pretty huge investment, there isnt a point to try and break that early on. If they make those then either their economy or offensive capabilities will be delayed for a bit (300 mineral investment + 2 drones = 8 less drones than usual, or in the case of bad aggressive zerg 12 less lings). Feel free to macro up a bit, take an expand and prepare for a marine+tank timing for when their 3rd is getting under way or trying to tech. Of course there is plenty more to do after this, but this should be a good enough start for you to practice.

Also, I wouldnt go so far as to say you need to 'counter' a zerg FE. The only real way to hardcounter it is a proxy 2-rax. It doesnt hurt to poke in and see what you can do, but get out of there before speed finishes (watch some reps and see when ling speed is done after a FE, I forget) and dont lose anything to those spines.

Anyways, since you are just looking for quick wins do proxy-2rax every game. Just leave 1 in your base so nothing is too suspiscious, might as well follow up in initial attack with scv + more marines to piss in their faces some more. Hopefully you consider my other advice though =(
Really good analysis, makes sense. Don't worry I won't proxy rax! I did that during Silver and got bored really fast. Don't want to do it again, lol.

Q8D3vil said:
6 rax is good bro !!!
end it while you can.

or

-you can do FE and then get marine tank army and push at 10 minute mark.
-blue flame play.
-1 port banshee fe

also, try mass mech play. i don't think zerg in platinum know how to stop it.
Mass mech meaning opening BF hellion then transition into tank/thor?

Yoshichan

Q8D3vil said:
stop producing scv after oc and put 4 more raxes (+2 in the beginning).
god damn all right... marines without stim :( I don't think I can handle that...

edit: how do I prevent the scouting? An early drone inside my base would ruin everything since they'll see I don't have any gas...?

Q8D3vil

ChefRamsay said:
Really good analysis, makes sense. Don't worry I won't proxy rax! I did that during Silver and got bored really fast. Don't want to do it again, lol.

Mass mech meaning opening BF hellion then transition into tank/thor?
yeah, but you need an quick expansion before or after getting the 2 factories.
try learning bunker rush of two rax then put expansion between 22-24 food and immediately get two gases up and saturate them.

there is also the fast 2 factories. get 12 rax 13 gas get only 2 marines then save 400 minerals throw an expansion and 2 factories after that immediately. when they finish take second gas and put reactor and tech lab and start blue flame, once you get 5-6 hellions fly ur oc to the natural and harass with the hellions and get tanks after blue flame finish and throw down an armory at the 7:30 minute mark so you will have thors if the zerg want to harass you with muta.

Jeff-DSA

Pandaman said:

This is good advice. I only get out Marauders if I scout that Roaches will be coming or later in the game if I want to try to drop a few to snipe a building. You're much better off building a factory, having it build a reactor while the starport builds, swap the reactor to the starport, and start dropping on his mineral lines. Marauders are much better in the Protoss matchup, but Zerglings will just murder them.

I guess you can have a few in your mix to take the Baneling damage for your ball, but you have to be good enough at micro to get them out front when the engagement occurs.

Biff

Yoshichan said:
god damn all right... marines without stim :( I don't think I can handle that...

edit: how do I prevent the scouting? An early drone inside my base would ruin everything since they'll see I don't have any gas...?
Apparently the build is supposed to look like a fast expand, so no gas doesn't necessarily mean 6rax.

But, from what I've read you can build a gas once your rax is finished and marine is on the way. Have marine shoo drone away and cancel gas when it's clear. It'll just look like a late gas.

Q8D3vil

Yoshichan said:

you will have a marine to kill the drone and put them on patrol on the side to spot scouting overlords.

there is also one thing i like to do, fake a bunker like i'm going to expo then salvage and attack when i have a good number of marines.

Jeff-DSA

Is anybody else tired of the TvT GSL matches that just turn into slow tank battles? Sometimes waiting for the mistake takes way too long.

Biff

Jeff-DSA said:
Is anybody else tired of the TvT GSL matches that just turn into slow tank battles? Sometimes waiting for the mistake takes way too long.
It's weird because IIRC this is how it was at release for probably the first 6 months or so.

Then people started moving to bio for a while.. Now it's right back to tank checkers.

V_Arnold

MrKnives said:
The ignorance and hate towards E-sports in that thread is mind-boggling.

Stigmas are hard to erase. Very hard. :(
Especially when some people hate on pro gaming, and in the meanwhile, they spend anything between 5-30 hours per bad game just to 1000/1000 it out. Now THAT is not pro gaming, and is a respectable complex to have :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom