• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
F#A#Oo said:
Hydra is iconic...can't get rid of such a badass unit. >:{

The problem is Blizzard introduced the Roach and it's cutting in on the Hydra action early game...they also didn't make the transition from SC1 very well they ended up costing too much and there are very few situations where going Hydra is more cost-effective than going XX or XX. With no Lurker the Hydra also lost it's latter purpose as well...

It's actually embarassing but Blizzard knows what it needs to do but are refusing to bring back BW units... :D

arguing balance and SC go hand in hand...lol
Ironically the hydra is only really viable in one matchup in SC BW

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-COOLIO- said:
anyone thinking of forgoing hots and just getting the last expansion?

$180 is mad steep for a game :x
It's not a game anymore... also I wouldn't even want to think about playing a non-updated game for a good 1-2 years.

Q8D3vil

-COOLIO- said:
anyone thinking of forgoing hots and just getting the last expansion?

$180 is mad steep for a game :x
unless you don't play the game then yes wait lotv.
if y ou want to play it buy hots.

protoss all in are broken shit :/

a176

Banned
FieryBalrog said:
Ironically the hydra is only really viable in one matchup in SC BW

its used as a primary strategy in one matchup in scbw, but is viable and used in all three matchups with other certain strategies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
i kinda doubt it i mean a $180 chain? theres only so much even a dedicted fan can take D:

you can buy a netbook for 180
They'll sell a 100 bundle of all three games next to lotv's 100 special edition 'for the loyal fans who were with us from day one lol'

a176

Banned
syllogism said:
Better than idling around doing nothing

here's an idea. why not just get rid of the unit altogether so you dont have to struggle to find a place for it and come up with retarded spells

MrKnives

a176 said:
here's an idea. why not just get rid of the unit altogether so you dont have to struggle to find a place for it and come up with retarded spells

Not every unit needs to be useful in pro play. Even the all mighty BW didn't have that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What terran unit is good against those Protoss ground units? You know, the ones that cut shit. They just rip apart my marines, literally lol. Shit sucks.

cdyhybrid

Tashi0106 said:
What terran unit is good against those Protoss ground units? You know, the ones that cut shit. They just rip apart my marines, literally lol. Shit sucks.
I assume you mean Zealots. Stimmed infantry is good before they get Charge, along with Concussive Shell Marauders to kite, otherwise Siege Tanks, Ghosts for EMP, Blue Flame Hellions if you have them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How many paths could you take in Liberty anyway? 3?

Vaporak

So I've slept on it and decided that I hate the Replicant and everything it stands for. I hope it gets scrapped before HotS comes out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
cdyhybrid said:
I assume you mean Zealots. Stimmed infantry is good before they get Charge, along with Concussive Shell Marauders to kite, otherwise Siege Tanks, Ghosts for EMP, Blue Flame Hellions if you have them.

Oh right, concussive marauders. Thanks

Zzoram

did they announce a HotS price?

It's got less content than the base game so they have to charge less than $60. Maybe they'll charge $50.

Deadman

Vaporak said:
So I've slept on it and decided that I hate the Replicant and everything it stands for. I hope it gets scrapped before HotS comes out.

I dont think it will make it in anyway. There are so many broken combinations you could come up with by using it. Tanks + forcefields. Fungal + storms, fungal + colossus, the list goes on.

Yoshichan

I'd pay 5000000000000000000 for it

Deadman

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/my-first-hots-cheese-the-arc-shield/

Last night, in my final HotS 1v1 match of the evening, I fell to my first cheese. It was bound to happen eventually, but I was hoping to at least get to wait until beta before taking my first embarrassingly quick loss in HotS. It was a PvP on one of the new maps here for HotS at Blizzcon, when a suspiciously early Probe scout entered my base. Naturally, I checked around my base for proxy Pylons and Cannons, but none were found so I felt a sense of relief. At least for a little bit. The sneaky Probe then proceeded to steal my gas at around 9 supply, before a Gateway or any structure other than a Pylon had been started in my opponents base. Again I felt a sense of relief, as in Wings of Liberty there's absolutely no reason to steal gas that early. Assuming that my opponent was a mere novice, I proceeded as normal, letting the Assimilator finish and getting my first Gateway up.

Before I knew it, red flashes lit up my minimap and a stern Protoss voice alerted me that my Probes were under attack. At first I thought it was just a little Probe harass, but then I realized that my opponent had placed an Arc Shield, one of the new Nexus abilities in HotS, on the Assimilator he had built in my base. The Arc Shield does bonus damage to light units, and before I knew it, my Probes were getting two shotted by this thing. Its range denied mining on five of my eight mineral patches, and my early economy was completely crippled at the cost of 50 Nexus energy. I frowned. I sighed. I said GG and took my quickest exit from the demo area this weekend.

Yoshichan

w...wat? I don't think I understand how it did damage to him?

Yoshichan

HotS new menu, looks amazing and much easier to find stuff:

pf3p5.jpg

Yv0hV.jpg

Deadman

Enemy protoss gas steals, when the assmilator is done he puts the arc shield ability on it. This starts shooting his workers and denies mining from 5 patches.

MrKnives

Pandaman said:
So are locust like invincible or something? Or are we paying that much for a slower weaker melee reach?

Locust are the thingi that come out from Swarm Host? No they are not invincible but surprisingly durable. It just shoots too slowly.

But don't we also have the old school roach so it's not like it's replacing them? Locust are just supposed to be free things that come out of it.
Like a shittier version of lurker.

Deadly

Yoshichan said:
Denied 5 mineral patches, probably loss probes while the other spent 75 minerals. Don't know if he could comeback but he was definitely behind.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrKnives said:
Locust are the thingi that come out from Swarm Host? No they are not invincible but surprisingly durable. It just shoots too slowly.

But don't we also have the old school roach so it's not like it's replacing them? Locust are just supposed to be free things that come out of it.
Like a shittier version of lurker.
But if there's only one locust per host at any time... doesn't that hosts really really bad? Like stim, kill locust and hosts are helpless for 15 seconds, bad?

MrKnives

Pandaman said:
But if there's only one locust per host at any time... doesn't that hosts really really bad? Like stim, kill locust and hosts are helpless for 15 seconds, bad?

They are like stronger version of broodlings. They spawn, they attack and they die.
I understand their idea behind it is same as lurkers or broodlods, to make terran or protoss to unsiege and slowly break their location but from the videos it's just too bad to work. So yes right now swarm host seems bad >_>

That said That should be easily fixable by tweaking the fire rate and locusts damage/durability. Imagine having 6 of those and throwing blindning cloud and burrowing hosts into good location. If it fires in a decent rate no matter if terran can hold the location he will slowly lose stuff splash fire.
Don't know how that would work against non tank armies tbh. Right now I just see 5 marines stimming + scan and all hosts dying while terran kites the locusts.

Edit: Swarm Host http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6chqnh079Qo

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Anyone else have the impression that a lot of these new things were greenlighted very early on in wols release?

Like...6 pool can't even kill a forge first, why do we need arc shield? But early into wol a lot of protoss had trouble safely expanding until very late December when sentry expands grew popular which in turn shifted zerg heavily to macro and gave us the modern forge based Pvz metagame.

MrKnives

Pandaman said:
Anyone else have the impression that a lot of these new things were greenlighted very early on in wols release?

Like...6 pool can't even kill a forge first, why do we need arc shield? But early into wol a lot of protoss had trouble safely expanding until very late December when sentry expands grew popular which in turn shifted zerg heavily to macro and gave us the modern forge based Pvz metagame.

Whole arc thing can easily be designed for lower players who still have trouble against 6 pool. If Pro's get something from it it's just a bonus

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrKnives said:
Whole arc thing can easily be designed for lower players who still have trouble against 6 pool. If Pro's get something from it it's just a bonus
But rocks guy had made a point to say they don't want to weaken 6 pool to help noobs in the last blizzcon.

MrKnives

Pandaman said:
But rocks guy had made a point to say they don't want to weaken 6 pool to help noobs in the last blizzcon.

Best thing I can come up with is times change? I'm sure they have said a lot of things

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yoshichan said:
If I read it right, for 75 min and 50 energy protoss get a photon cannon with the health of a hatchery that doesn't need a pylon and is in range of your workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom