• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Q8D3vil said:
once again protoss are not realizing the big picture, the new mechanics will help protoss catch up in a macro game with a zerg because they can harass and expand (like terran) against zerg.
if they want to keep doing 2 base timing pushes they might as quit the game.

toss have tried mang, 3 base.

stephano vs marineking starting now!

doa was saying how the korean players have discussed stephano and want to work together to beat him llolololo

Dooraven

Q8D3vil said:
once again protoss are not realizing the big picture, the new mechanics will help protoss catch up in a macro game with a zerg because they can harass and expand (like terran) against zerg.
if they want to keep doing 2 base timing pushes they might as quit the game.

lol I'm talking about the Tempest. The Oracle sounds super fucking awesome but really whats the point of the tempest besides killing 50ish mutas? It's basically sounding exactly like the corrupter.

Q8D3vil

lol I'm talking about the Tempest. The Oracle sounds super fucking awesome but really whats the point of the tempest besides killing 50ish mutas? It's basically sounding exactly like the corrupter.
its better than carrier, no?
its obvious that the whole purpose of this unit is killing mass light air units.

Played some more games today and this is basically what i've encountered (doubt anyone cares but what the hell).

Vs Protoss. I had a lot of fun with pvp today, actually i've been forge fast expanding every game with about a 50% win rate (the ones i lost were mostly because of inexperience rather than the build itself). I've faced so many different reactions. Warp prism rush, 4 gate all in, collosus rush, blink rush etc. I seem to be able to hold my own against pretty much all of them except when my macro goes to shit.

I'm still not sure what i should follow it up with. I've mostly just been going collusus/immortal afterwards but i would like to try some other tech.

Vs zerg. It seems as though a lot of zergs want to all in. I would say about half of the zergs i faced today (out of about 10) tried to do some form of one base all in. I didn't think this type of build was common anymore. Hell my friend who was playing with me encountered the same thing.

I have been enjoying this matchup though and i feel as though as long as i can secure a third i have a high chance of winning. I'm still trying to fit in some more warp prism harass into my late game though.

Vs Terran. Not sure what to say, i just have no idea what's going on. I won a few matches by going early stalker pressure and just killing them because they only had marines and/or hellions. I just don't feel confident about getting to the mid/late game without dying or falling far behind.

I really don't know what openers i should be doing or how i should follow it up.

Edit: This is against pretty much all diamond players with a handful of master zerg/protoss. I think maybe there were 1 or 2 platinums as well.

Dooraven

Hazard, how long does the oracle deny tech for? I've been reading 45 seconds on reddit but I want a more verifiable source.

Vs Terran. Not sure what to say, i just have no idea what's going on. I won a few matches by going early stalker pressure and just killing them because they only had marines and/or hellions. I just don't feel confident about getting to the mid/late game without dying or falling far behind.

1 gate FE -> Dual Forge -> Blink -> Expand -> Colossus is the general thing I use. It's very vulnerable to some timings (but in diamond/midmasters it should be fine)

Dooraven said:
1 gate FE -> Dual Forge -> Blink -> Expand -> Colossus is the general thing I use. It's very vulnerable to some timings (but in diamond/midmasters it should be fine)

How does this go against terran players who go for fast attacks with marine marauder? It seems as though that is the most common thing i'm facing.

I will definitely try it, with blink first i may actually be able to pull off some harass which is really hard when you go charge first.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there a performance tweak guide for SC2? For the variables.txt file that is. Any FPS boost without dropping shader or model quality would be nice (alredy turned off shadows).
Alternatively i could switch resolution but 1280×800 seems to be lowest 16:10(laptop's native aspect ratio, so i prefer to use 16:10 resolutions (though i like 16:9 better)).
EDIT 1280×720 seems to be fine

Dooraven

AdventureRacing said:
How does this go against terran players who go for fast attacks with marine marauder? It seems as though that is the most common thing i'm facing.

I will definitely try it, with blink first i may actually be able to pull off some harass which is really hard when you go charge first.

Hmm, what exactly is the type of build order you're facing?, in general, a 1 gate fe is bad against a 2 rax all in, but it can hold off 2 rax pressure. If you don't feel safe against that then go with more safe builds

Playing safely you should go for 1 gate -> robo -> FE -> Dual Forge -> Blink -> Expand -> colossus

Dooraven said:
Hmm, what exactly is the type of build order you're facing?, in general, a 1 gate fe is bad against a 2 rax all in, but it can hold off 2 rax pressure. If you don't feel safe against that then go with more safe builds

Playing safely you should go for 3 gate FE -> Dual Forge -> Cannons at front -> Blink -> Expand -> Colossus.

Generally it's just a 2 rax pressure with quick concussive shells (i think maybe they're just doing this because they see me going for 3 quick stalkers). I feel alright facing it but i would be nervous with only 1 gateway.

I'll practice it tomorrow anyway and see how i go.

Dooraven

AdventureRacing said:
Generally it's just a 2 rax pressure with quick concussive shells (i think maybe they're just doing this because they see me going for 3 quick stalkers). I feel alright facing it but i would be nervous with only 1 gateway.

I'll practice it tomorrow anyway and see how i go.

lol crap read my eddited post ><

Dooraven said:
lol crap read my eddited post ><

Ok that makes sense. Just one more question, what if i don't get to scout his base (i.e. i find him last and he already has a marine to deny scouting)? Do you still 1 gate FE or is that too risky?

Sorry for all the questions.

a176

Banned
Woorloog said:
Is there a performance tweak guide for SC2? For the variables.txt file that is. Any FPS boost without dropping shader or model quality would be nice (alredy turned off shadows).
Alternatively i could switch resolution but 1280×800 seems to be lowest 16:10(laptop's native aspect ratio, so i prefer to use 16:10 resolutions (though i like 16:9 better)).
EDIT 1280×720 seems to be fine

SC2 is more CPU dependent for FPS.

Or, if you are running a fairly older card, then you will need to turn the shaders down.

Dooraven

AdventureRacing said:
Ok that makes sense. Just one more question, what if i don't get to scout his base (i.e. i find him last and he already has a marine to deny scouting)? Do you still 1 gate FE or is that too risky?

Sorry for all the questions.

Go 1 gate robo FE, that's pretty much the best "safe" build you can go.

Woorloog

Banned
a176 said:
SC2 is more CPU dependent for FPS.

Or, if you are running a fairly older card, then you will need to turn the shaders down.
Ugh, already using medium shaders and most options medium or low, shadows off through variables.txt. My main issue is that FPS has tendency to drop under 20 in large battles, low models would alleviate this but they look so damn ugly. Though arguably i don't need details in multiplayer... So, maybe that'll help.

With HOTS unit announcements my interest in SC2 came back and i need to get back into the game. Is there some good beginner guides, including build orders, etc?
And more importantly, any hints how i can develop my multitasking skill? I'm bad it.

Dooraven

Woorloog said:
Ugh, already using medium shaders and most options medium or low, shadows off through variables.txt. My main issue is that FPS has tendency to drop under 20 in large battles, low models would alleviate this but they look so damn ugly. Though arguably i don't need details in multiplayer... So, maybe that'll help.

With HOTS unit announcements my interest in SC2 came back and i need to get back into the game. Is there some good beginner guides, including build orders, etc?
And more importantly, any hints how i can develop my multitasking skill? I'm bad it.

What race do you play?

HolyCheck

Khaldor casting GSL will be great, especially if he's with moletrap and he keeps his usual "I will call you out if i think you're wrong" attitude

MrKnives

Dustin Browder signed someones collector edition. At least he has a sense of humor

2eoji39.jpg

(c) reddit

Q8D3vil

who won ESWC ?
i'm pretty sure french tournament are different than the other ones lol.

AdventureRacing
you need to figure out the pressure timings and terran bio will be like a joke to you.
only Koreans right now (including select) can play perfect bio and every terran (diamond and above) i know hate going into late game tvp.

HolyCheck

Q8D3vil said:
who won ESWC ?
i'm pretty sure french tournament are different than the other ones lol.

you need to figure out the pressure timings and terran bio will be like a joke to you.
only Koreans right now (including select) can play perfect bio and every terran (diamond and above) i know hate going into late game tvp.
its only on now, game one mana vs stephano for the ifnal

MrKnives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6rKpiKJZ4
MKP vs Stephano spoilers!

Stephano setup in ESWC. He can hear the french caster and he is the only player who understands what they are saying. I know he had headphones and game sounds probably but this kinda setup for 25k 1st place tournament?

I don't doubt stephano's skill but this is bullshit.

Edit: Added spoiler warning

HolyCheck

fanboi said:
Well we are now aren't we? GRAB THE PITCHFORKS!

you know what he meant!

Grubby was there too, he would have piped up if anything was wrong, I get the feeling he's not one to let any little fault go unheard that could fuck something up

Q8D3vil

HolyCheck said:
you know what he meant!

Grubby was there too, he would have piped up if anything was wrong, I get the feeling he's not one to let any little fault go unheard that could fuck something up
grubby didn't have to play with stephano.

I will say Nestea's decision making was very poor throughout the game, and it did seem like he should have won. But on the other hand Nestea fell apart once MVP started harassing him, which is nothing new; the same thing happened in their recent GSL matches. Still, Nestea's decision to do nothing with a deadly maxed army and 13k banked minerals was beyond puzzling. Plus he completely stopped injecting his Hatcheries, which is not something the best Zerg in the world is known for.

Although if you watched the rewards ceremony it was very odd that Nestea was crying. He's a three time GSL champion, he's not hurting for money and he's good friends with MVP, his teammate. Plus MVP immediately left the stage after the win, which was pretty odd. Still, I'm going to say Nestea couldn't handle the multiple attacks and wound up throwing his army away.

I saw this elsewhere on the subject of Nestea
from PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom