• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Sliver said:
God, the Shredded looks ridiculous. Imagine that being dropped on a mineral line. Just insane. t.t
They don't really belong in starcraft, id be surprised if they make multiplayer beta let alone release.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
yeah, give me spider mines instead.
Basically. Give reapers a spider mine upgrade at fact+armour and make the mines not Target workers. done.

T could do cool tricksy mine harass and have a reason for building mid and late game reapers.

Q8D3vil

Pandaman said:
Basically. Give reapers a spider mine upgrade at fact+armour and make the mines not Target workers. done.

T could do cool tricksy mine harass and have a reason for building mid and late game reapers.
it should target everything :mad:
everything i say.
denying expo's would be so awesome with them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
it should target everything :mad:
everything i say.
denying expo's would be so awesome with them.
They didn't Target workers in bw. or archons iirc.

But yea maybe Korean zerg would creep their ramp if a reaper jumped up and mined it before a drop hits.

syllogism

Vaporak said:
Apparently the mineral shield can be destroyed in ~2 seconds by 16 workers; "no workers died, but your economy certainly has been raided", thanks Blizzard, but I think you got it backwards which economy got hurt by the Oracle. >.>
Uh, maybe if those workers get a full surround and even if they could, one spell affects multiple batches. I suppose it's possible that you only have to destroy one shield. Regardless, this notion that workers have to die for your economy to be impacted is laughable and they can just tweak the HP numbers

Vaporak

syllogism said:
Uh, maybe if those workers get a full surround and even if they could, one spell affects multiple batches. I suppose it's possible that you only have to destroy one shield. Regardless, this notion that workers have to die for your economy to be impacted is laughable and they can just tweak the HP numbers

Apparently the minerals aren't individually shielded, the shields have 1 combined life bar of like 70hp or something like that. It's a laughably feeble harassment.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm set on going Protoss from now until the third expansion.

What's the standard safe macro build for Toss these days? Would appreciate a link to it so I can start grinding it out now to work off the rust before trying to ladder next month.

MrKnives

Vaporak said:
Apparently the minerals aren't individually shielded, the shields have 1 combined life bar of like 70hp or something like that. It's a laughably feeble harassment.

Can't they just increase the HP until it becomes perfectly balanced so it's worth casting it? Lets say they give it 1000hp, would you still say it's laughably feeble harassment?

zlatko said:

What's the standard safe macro build for Toss these days? Would appreciate a link to it so I can start grinding it out now to work off the rust before trying to ladder next month.

Heh i just went on and started laddering. There was some discussion in the last few pages about what is the best opening in PvT (thanks dooraven!). Personally i'm going either one gate expand or 2 gate pressure and following up with collosus with a transition into storm.

Against zerg i do FFE unless it's on a map where that is difficult so i go 2 gate zealt pressure.

Against protoss i have no idea what the standard build is, i've been going FFE but that's kinda crazy and stupid so i wouldn't recommend it.

Wist i could give you some links but i was too lazy to actually look any up and just started playing however i wanted. Wish you luck!

Vaporak

zlatko said:

PvZ: The 2 standard openings are forge fast expand, or 1 gate expo into stargate+2 more gates.
PvP: Standard is still a little up in the air because of the recent changes to ramp vision so people are feeling out just how much you can cut to be safe from a 4 gate. But the closest to standard you'll get is 3 gate robo into colossus/blink on one base. Never expand.
PvT: A Safe standard opening doesn't really exist / hasn't been found. Some decent macro options are 1 gate expo, 3 gate aggression+expo, fast double stalker, 1/2 gate robo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dooraven said:
Yeah I keep on facepalming whenever his opponents go ling baneling all the time against him. He always goes roaches in ZvZ.
Line bane timings can work. ZvZ is all about the timings.

So if they have a 15% shot at an all in timing attack it still beats out Nestea's ZvZ percentage since that's 10% of winning.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't played Protoss since long before the changes to warp gate research. Did this change early game chrono boosts and open up for more harassment from enemies, or just delay early pushes?

Vaporak

zlatko said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't played Protoss since long before the changes to warp gate research. Did this change early game chrono boosts and open up for more harassment from enemies, or just delay early pushes?

It did both. My favorite macro PvT openings don't work anymore since the warpgate delays, and it made 4 gate less scary. It's not a huge huge change or anything though, the principles are all mostly the same.

syllogism

Vaporak said:
You conveniently ignored the other part of the post; it's trivial to tweak the ability until it's worthwhile. Further, unlike most forms of harass, this one doesn't generally require sacrificing resources of your own. That is to say, with drops you generally trade units for harvester kills. Finally, the purpose of harass isn't just to inflict x damage, but to force multitasking, delay key timings and so forth.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vaporak said:
Except that it is silent? Overloading an opponent is legitimate and if you are in a tight engagement are they really going to check their 3rd mining base or estimate their income in a tense moment?

It's a good thing to have and I'm sure they can work with it.
*Points brought up before, should post before doing other things.

fanboi

Banned
Hazaro said:
Except that it is silent? Overloading an opponent is legitimate and if you are in a tight engagement are they really going to check their 3rd mining base or estimate their income in a tense moment?

It's a good thing to have and I'm sure they can work with it.
*Points brought up before, should post before doing other things.

Oh the silent treatment...

Will work in lower leagues... but I think on higher it will have less impact since gamesense and all that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fanboi said:
Oh the silent treatment...

Will work in lower leagues... but I think on higher it will have less impact since gamesense and all that.
Well it's good that MULEs can't attack yet.

I really think that when looking at the new things HotS brings, we should be looking at them as concepts and not as facts.

None of the stats will be the same when the game ships. None. Hell, some abilities might not even make it to retail.

Dooraven

MrKnives said:
I wonder if there will be timings with it. Like 2 base pushes where you disable all of the defence (bunkers, spines etc)

I'm wondering how this works, because phased out structures aren't targettable so does this make them solid or move-throughable. If move-throughable, well goodbye Terran defence, I'll just walk through your bunkers. If solid, well hello impregnable Forge Fast Expands.

zoukka

mescalineeyes said:
I really think that when looking at the new things HotS brings, we should be looking at them as concepts and not as facts.

None of the stats will be the same when the game ships. None. Hell, some abilities might not even make it to retail.

Don't be a hysteria-pooper.

ultron87

MrKnives said:
I wonder if there will be timings with it. Like 2 base pushes where you disable all of the defence (bunkers, spines etc)

Trapping half the Terran's army inside phased bunkers could be a pretty powerful tool.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Q8D3vil said:
why ?
you should be happy.
I want my HotS to be 50-50-50 between all races. This pylon-warp-change isn't gonna help the cause.

ultron87

Obviously warping units inside bases has waaaay to high a chance of actually killing workers. Can't have that happening from the Protoss.

MrKnives

Yoshichan said:
I want my HotS to be 50-50-50 between all races. This pylon-warp-change isn't gonna help the cause.

It wouldn't even do much of anything in WoL so why do you think it's going to take away from 50-50-50 in HotS.
We have absolutely no idea how the winrates going to be in HotS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If they're changing the pylon stuff, they should also change so that siege tanks can't shoot up the ramp when they get vision :).
MrKnives said:
It wouldn't even do much of anything in WoL so why do you think it's going to take away from 50-50-50 in HotS.
We have absolutely no idea how the winrates going to be in HotS.
We know that HotS isn't gonna be 50-50-50 for a long, long time. Let's be realistic here.

MrKnives

Yoshichan said:
If they're changing the pylon stuff, they should also change so that siege tanks can't shoot up the ramp when they get vision :).

We know that HotS isn't gonna be 50-50-50 for a long, long time. Let's be realistic here.

Of course it won't but you also don't have any idea to which direction the pylon change is going to drag that 50-50-50. Maybe it will bring it to closer to that desired 50

Yoshichan

MrKnives said:
Of course it won't but you also don't have any idea to which direction the pylon change is going to drag that 50-50-50. Maybe it will bring it to closer to that desired 50
Undoubtedly but hopefully, yes.

zargle

MrKnives said:

This is the part of that unit that isnt really being talked about, but i think it will be the most commonly used aspect of the unit. "Oh whats that Mr spore crawler/Missile Turret? you want to shoot at my Void Rays? Nonono, I dont think so."

(._.)

Banned
I'm gonna start playing SCII daily again. I'm nervous to ladder though :[

I'm looking for practice partners. I ranked gold for S3. Is there still a GAF night?

MrKnives

(._.) said:
I'm gonna start playing SCII daily again. I'm nervous to ladder though :[

I'm looking for practice partners. I ranked gold for S3. Is there still a GAF night?

GAF nights every wednesday and gaf has several players in Gold you can practice with. I just don't remember then all >_>

Edit: Does GAF play SC2BW at all?

ksan

Fuck ye! Final exams over for this time, time to breathe out.

Hazaro (or anyone else who knows), insanely shitty timing to buy a new computer right now or just normal shitty timing? (as in pretty much always)
Cause if I would buy one I the main choices were between 2500K/2600K and GTX 570/580, and the combinations possible with those.
I'm leaning a bit toward the 570 GTX and eventually getting another one for SLI.
This 9600m GT business isn't really doing it for me anymore (gaming with extreme fps drops at the lowest settings isn't that cool)

Q8D3vil

ksan said:

Hazaro (or anyone else who knows), insanely shitty timing to buy a new computer right now or just normal shitty timing? (as in pretty much always)
Cause if I would buy one I the main choices were between 2500K/2600K and GTX 570/580, and the combinations possible with those.
I'm leaning a bit toward the 570 GTX and eventually getting another one for SLI.
This 9600m GT business isn't really doing it for me anymore (gaming with extreme fps drops at the lowest settings isn't that cool)
i have 2xGTX570 and they are good but i regret not buying 2xgtx560 instead (2 of them = gtx 580 in price and they are smaller = better air flow).
if you want to buy gtx 580 go with the 3 gb edition.

i have no experience with the cpu but 2 of my friends went with 2500k because there is no difference in gaming.

Aylinato

So anyone think blizzard really doesn't have any idea what to do with protoss air units? Cause now we have two units that spefically counter mutas, but why do we need TWO, why not fix the one and not kill our carriers

ultron87

Aylinato said:
So anyone think blizzard really doesn't have any idea what to do with protoss air units? Cause now we have two units that spefically counter mutas, but why do we need TWO, why not fix the one and not kill our carriers

I guess they felt that they needed to fix that "problem" from 9 months ago where Zergs on the ladder would turtle up and build a million mutas.

And I assume it won't even work that well since the Zerg will already have a Spire to pop out some corrupters to kill your fancy capital ships.

ksan

Q8D3vil said:
i have 2xGTX570 and they are good but i regret not buying 2xgtx560 instead (2 of them = gtx 580 in price and they are smaller = better air flow).
if you want to buy gtx 580 go with the 3 gb edition.

i have no experience with the cpu but 2 of my friends went with 2500k because there is no difference in gaming.
Thanks, that's an interesting thing to take into consideration.

zoukka

Aylinato said:

Phoenix never countered muta unless zerg responded to your mass phoenix with muta play.

Rubashov

The shredder looks like it "burrows" in about 6 seconds. Terrans confirmed to be more evolved than Zerg. I hope the spine crawler is about hit an evolutionary deadend.

Rubashov said:
The shredder looks like it "burrows" in about 6 seconds. Terrans confirmed to be more evolved than Zerg. I hope the spine crawler is about hit an evolutionary deadend.

They said in Q&A that the set-up time is one of the things they will look at changing if it proves to be too imbalanced.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ksan said:

It's a fine time to upgrade. 2500K and I'd get a 560ti / 6950 until newer cards come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom