• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersoc

so noob question time. I keep running into protoss who make like 4-5 cannons and VR rush. I suspect the proper answer is banelings to take out the cannons and speedlings for victory?

I've been trying to mass queens, but have had little success as 2 bases is pretty hard to mass some off.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jersoc said:
so noob question time. I keep running into protoss who make like 4-5 cannons and VR rush. I suspect the proper answer is banelings to take out the cannons and speedlings for victory?

I've been trying to mass queens, but have had little success as 2 bases is pretty hard to mass some off.
If you scout 4-5 cannons that is 600+ minerals.
Get an evo chamber and 2 spores per hatch, then make queens till you have 4. Replenish if they die.

From there add on drones and then a hydralisk den (Take your natural gas for this).
Connect your natural to your third with creep and defend it while keeping an eye on the P to see when they expand.

You can't let them mass up 30 void rays though, so kill them with ling/hydra before that.

MrKnives

jersoc said:

If his only goal is to kill you with those early VR's just make queens and spores while droning. Spores burrow pretty fast nowadays and queens are good vs VR's, even better in groups of 4 when you have transfuse.
With 4queens + spore + good creep connection and you can hold of a good number of VR's.
If it's a rush he probably won't have a backup plan and will GG or desperately expand but then you can pretty much A-move your hydras into his base.

it's a little bit different if he is just harassing with them while expanding. Queens and spore or two doesn't hurt there either though.
Just don't forget to drone while this is happening because that's the advantage you get when he spends 600 on cannons and VR's that don't do anything.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jersoc said:

lings and banes dont shoot up.

so do this.
expand
scout cannons
build that one building that counters dt's and void rays
build 4 queens
get burrow get hydras
burrow hydras
wait
type 'man... void rays are rly strong wtf'
when he agrees with you or asks if you're mad bait voids over burrowed hydras with queens
type 'oh wait, i forgot these'
unburrow hydras under void

Q8D3vil

thanks Keikaku, holden and corran.
i guess its time to raise my apm to 200 to do drops and macro in the same time.

i also need to explore other builds like mech and air in tvp.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Q8D3vil said:
thanks Keikaku, holden and corran.
i guess its time to raise my apm to 200 to do drops and macro in the same time.

i guess i need to explore other builds like mech and air in tvp.
Just use the abilities of your MMM better.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just be korean like me. Well...I once dated a Korean...well she was Asian...well she was actually white.

But one can pretend!

jersoc

haha, thanks guys.

That's sorta what I did my last game, but I only had 3 queens and 1 spore. he came over with 4 VRs. So I guess I didn't respond quick enough. i didn't expand in time either. So I'll do that ASAP as well.

Pandaman said:
lings and banes dont shoot up.

so do this.
expand
scout cannons
build that one building that counters dt's and void rays
build 4 queens
get burrow get hydras
burrow hydras
wait
type 'man... void rays are rly strong wtf'
when he agrees with you or asks if you're mad bait voids over burrowed hydras with queens
type 'oh wait, i forgot these'
unburrow hydras under void
I didn't so much read this as watch a .gif in my mind.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jersoc said:
haha, thanks guys.

That's sorta what I did my last game, but I only had 3 queens and 1 spore. he came over with 4 VRs. So I guess I didn't respond quick enough. i didn't expand in time either. So I'll do that ASAP as well.
always fast expand.

no. matter. what.

Tntnnbltn

Apparently Reddit and TL over-reacted to something that wasn't confirmed.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2749838 said:
OK, so this is the second time in a week I'm going to have to post this PG quote: "Your comment is a classic instance of people on a forum rushing to judgment based on incomplete information. It's isomorphic to the sort of thing one sees on reddit, except that it's about startups rather than the federal government or international bankers."

Edit: it looks like Jiggity (aka Jong-Moon Kim, Warp Prism's creator) has gone and posted a lot more details here: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/im6r4/there_is_no...

If he's come forward and put all the details on the record, I feel comfortable putting a lot more details here, along with my own commentary on the whole mess.

Jiggity was indeed a co-founder of Teevox, which was in last summer's YC batch. He and Andrew were one always one of the most energetic, technically impressive, and just fun-to-be-around founders in the batch. Seriously, one of the bright spots of weekly dinners was always the corner of the orange room where the Teevox demo was set up each week, greeting passerby with equal parts cheeriness from the founders and magic from the slick Hulu demo.

Which is why it was so heartbreaking when Teevox was one of the first startups in YC S10 to die. It was a sober reminder to everyone that coming up with a clever product just isn't always enough, and we're all in a low-success-rate business.

In any case, Teevox is gone. Dead. Kaput. No longer there. Corporate entity unraveled. It happens to startups. People who spend time here should know that, even though the reddit posters cluelessly assume that Teevox lives on with a team of coders and a "slick marketing team".

Andrew went back to school but Jiggity decided to keep on plugging away at some side projects. One of them turned into Warp Prism. I think that this is fucking awesome. In fact, it's pretty much the classic startup feel-good turnaround story: smart hacker down on his luck, has a startup shut down and fail, keeps on hacking away and eventually stumbles upon something people love to use. He keeps on iterating on the product, out0executing a similar competitor all by himself. (one of the posters in the linked thread said s/he was always suspicious that WarpPrism could ever have been built by one person!) Awesome! This is the classic inspirational never-give-up narrative in action.

Except in this case, some moron hiding behind an anonymous pseudonym does a simple whois search, discovers that the domain is registered to the same guy who happend to found a startup the year before and - gasp - concludes that s/he's unearthed the scandal of a century! WarpPrism can't be the work of a lone hacker, it must have a whole "slick marketing team" behind it! Angry reddit mob, enter stage left!

I do not know why Jiggity chose the name "Jake Frink". (In retrospect, isn't that um, sort of obviously a pseudonym?) I do know that Jiggity has previously used various aliases in everyday conversation, and rarely his real name. But the reality is, aside from that one name, every other detail of the original story is true.

Why was everyone so quick to rush to judgement? Is it a reflexive distrust of anything that might be backed by a company? Is it a predisposition to believe in a made-up but apparently widely perceived trend that, in the words of another poster, "the newer YC bunch are playing dirty to win"?

In any case, this time it makes me upset. It's one thing if people mis-read a boilerplate line in the Dropbox ToS and decide to get angry over that; Dropbox is doing well and will be fine, internet mob or not. But this is different. This is not a large successful company, it's just a friend who has bravely marched straight through the hell that every startup founder has nightmares about. but the one that is never far from my mind when it's racing late at night - the idea that all your hard work will eventually evaporate.

I went through that period once when my first startup died four years ago, and it put me into a rather severe months-long depression. Thankfully my current startup is doing quite well, but the memory of what happened before and the gnawing fear it could happen again is never far from my consciousness late at night when my mind is racing and I have trouble falling asleep. I think pretty much every founder feels the same way all the way until (at least) the liquidity event. It's a special kind of overbearing stress that only other founders can truly understand.

Jiggity pushed right through that, and created a kickass product people loved using. The three months after my first startup died I spent mostly half-heartedly applying for jobs and walking around the streets of Palo Alto in sort of a daze; Jiggity spent that time single-handedly creating the best way to watch StarCraft 2 games in the world. And when those users find out, that gasp, the creator of the product they love so much was using a pseudonym - this is how they react.

I advise everyone who reads Hacker News and is thinking of one day starting a company to think of Jiggity's story as inspirational, and the reaction to it as a warning. In the end though, despite the fact that I was moved to post this long rant, I know he'll get through it just fine. He's thrived after going through much worse.

Mairu

Tntnnbltn said:
Apparently Reddit and TL over-reacted to something that wasn't confirmed.
This seems really obvious. I found it ridiculous to assume that a company had intended to take advantage of r/starcraft through a fucking web streaming service.

MrKnives

I hope ST gets them in shape. Their performance isn't been too great lately and FD is a cool dude.
Would be nice if they would make a comeback in GSL

V_Arnold

TL is full of golden posts like "okay, but what does it do FOR THE ESPORT?". Or the fact that while the majority of pro players are actually friends and know each other pretty well, the rabid fanboys and haters are ready to kill each other over their percieved rivalries and "missteps" of each "pro player".

Deadman

V_Arnold said:
TL is full of golden posts like "okay, but what does it do FOR THE ESPORT?". Or the fact that while the majority of pro players are actually friends and know each other pretty well, the rabid fanboys and haters are ready to kill each other over their percieved rivalries and "missteps" of each "pro player".

Sly dig at idra?

I'll kill you!

Deadman

After that he went to visit ret then came home and casted the EG masters cup. During that time he dropped out of grandmaster and has only streamed once. I think the next real tournament he will be at is mlg in a few weeks.

Dooraven

V_Arnold said:
Talking about Idra, any notable match from him since he lost in Dreamhack? I have not seen him play since then...

Well he lost to Tarson in homestory but besides that not much really.

MrKnives

V_Arnold said:

After Kennigit's rant about how people misuse the word Esports on TL I haven't been able to read it or use it without laughing and without hearing the "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesports" pronunciation.

I don't understand the freak out over the WP thing. Even if it was true, they are still using that product because it is good, and donating because it is good. They freak out because they were duped, and that is the only reason why.

But, I do have a few random questions about that article.

What does YC stand for?

and

What was the freak out over the Dropbox ToS?

MrKnives

TheThunder said:
Fruitdealer and July getting drunk while trying to figure out ZvZ

I can see it now

Now as I think about it FD was used to be considered quite agressive Zerg so I can see that happening. They can compete who is more agressive.
I really really hope FD can start being good again :/ He was great.

I think people are more in love with what Kim Won Ki represents rather than what he actually managed to produce. I am guilty of this as well. Rose tinted glasses et al.

He has always been quite the lackluster player.

zargle

Awesome Animals said:
What does YC stand for?

Not sure for certain, but I would assume its the Y Combinator program. It is a startup funding program that twice a year funds a small number of startups and has them move to silicon valley for about three months to help them refine, test, and develop their ideas so they can pitch them to investors in the best way possible. http://ycombinator.com/

867-5309 said:
Not sure for certain, but I would assume its the Y Combinator program. It is a startup funding program that twice a year funds a small number of startups and has them move to silicon valley for about three months to help them refine, test, and develop their ideas so they can pitch them to investors in the best way possible. http://ycombinator.com/

1. Yes.

2. Awesome username

3. The change in the dropbox TOS was essentially saying that they can look at and use the data you upload. If you have anything sensitive going in dropbox, you should either look for another service or encrypt it before uploading.

prodystopian said:
1. Yes.

2. Awesome username

3. The change in the dropbox TOS was essentially saying that they can look at and use the data you upload. If you have anything sensitive going in dropbox, you should either look for another service or encrypt it before uploading.

I should probably not tell the girlfriend this, there are lots of...private...videos and pictures in my dropbox...

Deadman

B58hp.jpg

Plus Choya, Alicia and Ganzi will be competing from the open bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom