• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
I'm surprised TL hasn't had an aneurysm over the news.

and,
@a176, I don't like map #2, its full of narrow chokes in the middle of the map. (Helloooo siege tanks and collossi)

Boken said:
I'm surprised TL hasn't had an aneurysm over the news.

and,
@a176, I don't like map #2, its full of narrow chokes in the middle of the map. (Helloooo siege tanks and collossi)

Some users did.

This is outrageous. I can't believe that Blizzard can just slap a Starcraft sticker on Command and Conquer 5 and destroy the naturally developed Korean Brood War scene by throwing money. I hope every player, caster and tournament organizer feels ashamed of pretending that SC2 is the true successor of Broodwar in order to make money and gain popularity. If this goes through I will never by another Blizzard product ever again.

This is just too horrible to imagine. Blizzard fucking balances the game for noobs, and terrible players. Can you imagine what would have happened to Brood War if Protoss had been balanced for D level? Blizzard makes incredibly shitty maps so that players can "rush," yet ignores the fact that you can be aggressive on big maps also.

It's like every design decision has been made to dumb the game down so that its popular among casuals. You want to use a shuttle + Reaver, too fucking bad you have a colossus now, its pretty much the same thing. You want to micro carriers, tough shit, the interceptors will now come back, also the goliath can now fly over terrain. You don't like to take more than three bases, cool Browder doesn't like to either, we've changed worker gather rates and added an extra geyser so that taking four or more bases is pointless. You are having problems with seige tanks, no don't use drops or positioning, just make marauders or immortals lol. They have also removed losses from the profiles of noobs, now Joe reddit gold league can feel like a gosu, because that's what makes game good.

I can't believe that every WoW fanboy, Redditor and youtube caster watching noob is getting their way. Oh well, at least I'll have the last laugh when the SC2 foreign scene dies. This has probably damned the Korean scene to a new coke like fiasco as well.

Rubashov

Too much Starcraft on the brain lately.

MxJKsl.jpg

I saw this guy on the road and did a double take. It took a few seconds to realize he probably did not attend Blizzcon.

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
http://twitter.com/#!/Slasher/status/129893443488063488

hazaro on suicide watch

I'll put myself on suicide watch too really O_O I want Flash to dominate in BW. He is those few players I still follow and watch his games.

Why in the hell he would be playing SC2? Yes BW will day will die eventually but he could make soooo much money in the meantime.

Edit: Maybe Flash saw the Shredder demo?

a176

Banned
Keikaku said:
Come on, reading that hyperbolic fanboy foolishness didn't make you laugh? I thought it was incredibly funny.

its a bit over the top yes, but which part of the rant isn't true?

867-5309 said:
Earlier today I had this conversation with my roomate:
Me: "There's no good protoss streams on."
Him: "Does Artosis stream anymore?"
Me: "I said 'good' protoss."

Still gonna watch bc Im BORED.

No, nothing is better than Artosis raging at his chat.

Keikaku

This is outrageous. I can't believe that Blizzard can just slap a Starcraft sticker on Command and Conquer 5 and destroy the naturally developed Korean Brood War scene by throwing money. I hope every player, caster and tournament organizer feels ashamed of pretending that SC2 is the true successor of Broodwar in order to make money and gain popularity. If this goes through I will never by another Blizzard product ever again.
For starters, this is prime "I don't know how much you know about X (I'm an expert)" material right here.

Secondly, when more players in the BW scene are making 6 figure salaries than in the SC2 scene, the whole "throwing money" argument is complete bullshit. Heads up, there's been money in the BW scene for years and years. Way more than in the SC2 scene so far. The mere fact that they have salaried players of various tiers makes this argument invalid. Even the most successful SC2 players to date have made less money from winning tournaments than successful BW pros. Correct me if I'm wrong but, outside of TSL, what SC2 team even pays salaries? TSL was reported to be paying FruitDealer $30,000 and that's right after his GSL win! The amount of money in the BW scene is obscene by comparison.

This is just too horrible to imagine. Blizzard fucking balances the game for noobs, and terrible players. Can you imagine what would have happened to Brood War if Protoss had been balanced for D level? Blizzard makes incredibly shitty maps so that players can "rush," yet ignores the fact that you can be aggressive on big maps also.

It's like every design decision has been made to dumb the game down so that its popular among casuals. You want to use a shuttle + Reaver, too fucking bad you have a colossus now, its pretty much the same thing. You want to micro carriers, tough shit, the interceptors will now come back, also the goliath can now fly over terrain. You don't like to take more than three bases, cool Browder doesn't like to either, we've changed worker gather rates and added an extra geyser so that taking four or more bases is pointless. You are having problems with seige tanks, no don't use drops or positioning, just make marauders or immortals lol. They have also removed losses from the profiles of noobs, now Joe reddit gold league can feel like a gosu, because that's what makes game good.
If you want, I can list all the imbalanced shit that was in Starcraft and BW multiplayer one year into their life cycle too-I've done it before. Here's a small sampling:
  • SCVs being able to heal Marines (This was in the game for almost 2 years!)
  • Terran being able to start a building with an SCV, glitch the SCV off, and continue construction.
  • Zerg could gain infinite money through mutations
  • Zerg Drones could glitch over any impassible terrain
The list goes on and on and on.

Maps? Listen to some of the Day9 dailies or SOTG game episodes and they'll talk about all the imbalanced maps that major tournaments used for tourney games for years. Some of it is literally the most gimmicky shit ever. On the other hand, SC2 has, with this season, achieved a much better level of maps than BW had at a similar time, especially as far as ladder play is concerned.

We're still in the exploration phase as far as strategy, units, micro and cool tricks are concerned and every patch opens and closes possibilities. Comparing that to a game which has been fully explored over years and years of play is silly.

I can't believe that every WoW fanboy, Redditor and youtube caster watching noob is getting their way. Oh well, at least I'll have the last laugh when the SC2 foreign scene dies. This has probably damned the Korean scene to a new coke like fiasco as well.
That's just more hyperbolic idiocy.

Bottom line, I'm not saying that the SC2 scene should or even will completely stomp out the BW scene.

What I am saying is that if you want to watch BW, then do so. Just don't bitch about another game you like "killing" the one you already love. If the fans are passionate about a game and keep watching it, sponsors will know where to spend their money.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
StopMakingSense said:
No, nothing is better than Artosis raging at his chat.
Or artosis not understanding basic PC stuff.

"Pause my stream?" *cues 1 min scene of artosis trying to find out how to pause his stream and failing*
"Change my bitrate? I dont know how to do that"
etc

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ghst said:
there seems to be a real concern over the "fairness" of starting sc2 a year+ after the current crop of gsl players. i can't imagine even the most entrenched brood war pro being happy to extend this period, giving their own b-teamers the opportunity to leap frog them.
I would imagine it would be something the A-team is more involved with, but the B-team is there with the team backbone, work ethic, can save time for the A-team by working out builds and the metagame, etc.
This way it could be an easier transition for the A-team players (who are still actively playing BW), and the B-teamers can get their moments to shine in SC II?
Q8D3vil said:
http://twitter.com/#!/Slasher/status/129893443488063488

hazaro on suicide watch
Well if it lets Flash extend his progaming career since he only needs to play with one hand I guess it is ok.
At least if he joins SC II the metagame will explode. 'Oh this build actually totally crushes this build if you multidrop harass and attack with 2-1 before 12:00 and Flash does it all the time at like 11:30 with 2-2 because he is Flash.
Keikaku said:
What I am saying is that if you want to watch BW, then do so. Just don't bitch about another game you like "killing" the one you already love. If the fans are passionate about a game and keep watching it, sponsors will know where to spend their money.
How can I watch BW when it seems the places that produce and house the best players are preparing for a transition, then leaving no good BW pros?
Part of the magic for me is the mastery of that janky old game combined with the brilliance of some of the players.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also I'm waiting for a pro to use their army on 1-6 at minimum.

It is inevitable and I think a BW pro will be the first to do this.

Q8D3vil

How can I watch BW when it seems the places that produce and house the best players are preparing for a transition, then leaving no good BW pros?
Part of the magic for me is the mastery of that janky old game combined with the brilliance of some of the players.
go watch bw and stop bitching about it.
thats what he meant, if bw is going to die then you have to accept it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Q8D3vil said:
go watch bw and stop bitching about it.
thats what he meant, if bw is going to die then you have to accept it.
Neverrrrrrrrrrr
I don't want to wait 2-3 years for SC II to get everything right :'[

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Haunted

I'm just hoping the BW players switching over now are going to acclimate themselves to the global SC2 scene and aren't just stuck in Korea playing GSL/Proleague.

a176 said:
which 2 of these maps should i submit to TL map contest ?
Just submit all 3? They do allow 3 per mapper.

I like the first and the last the best.

edit: or maybe you already submitted two and are looking for the third to pick >_>

Haunted

This one's for Panda - I looked up the last couple NASL live report threads and compared it to the same week of he first season.

Latest from Season 2:

Thread Name - Posts / Views

[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 2 - 68 / 8521
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 3 - 41 / 5044
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 4 - 20 / 3456
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 5 - 73 / 8798
[NASL] S2 Week 6 Day 1 - 64 / 6236
[NASL] S2 Week 6 Day 2 - 61 / 6607

Same week from Season 1

[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 1 - 1225 / 98559
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 2 - 2026 / 139631
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 3 - 868 / 75142
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 4 - 1372 / 79622
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 5 - 1550 / 99559
[NASL] S1 Week 6 Day 2 - 1433 / 85493
[NASL] S1 Week 6 Day 1 - 937 / 81976

gg NASL

Corran Horn

Haunted said:
This one's for Panda - I looked up the last couple NASL live report threads and compared it to the same week of he first season.

Latest from Season 2:

[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 2 - 68 / 8521
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 3 - 41 / 5044
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 4 - 20 / 3456
[NASL] S2 Week 5 Day 5 - 73 / 8798
[NASL] S2 Week 6 Day 1 - 64 / 6236
[NASL] S2 Week 6 Day 2 - 61 / 6607

Same week from Season 1

[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 1 - 1225 / 98559
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 2 - 2026 / 139631
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 3 - 868 / 75142
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 4 - 1372 / 79622
[NASL] S1 Week 5 Day 5 - 1550 / 99559
[NASL] S1 Week 6 Day 2 - 1433 / 85493
[NASL] S1 Week 6 Day 1 - 937 / 81976

gg NASL

Compare GAF NASL Season 1 thread to the Season 2 thread

S1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427010

S2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445004

fallagin

I just finished my placing matches for sc2, but the last game the player just dropped the match before it started. Now I'm somehow in Silver league O_O;

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fallagin said:
I just finished my placing matches for sc2, but the last game the player just dropped the match before it started. Now I'm somehow in Silver league O_O;
:D You were in bronze before?

Haunted

Corran Horn

Haunted said:
Your OP definitely deserved better. I know the feeling of getting denied a successful thread after spending a bit of time on a proper first post.

Know this, it was a good one.

edit: also that .gif is hilarious. Favourite SotG moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY0kii30DGs
^^ Thanks

It appears Painuser is gone awol again lol

djWHEAT djWHEAT
We have absolutely no idea where @Painuser is and he was supposed to arrive like 3 hours ago :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom