• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q8D3vil

Corran Horn said:
So he is like our hazard.
no, he is much worse

that reddit thread is crazy
fuckmilkis said:
People need to stop nursing his cock like he's the shit. There's no redeeming quality about him at all. Basically all does is shove his face in the limelight of korean progamers. He likes to thinks he's DRG's best buddy and MMA's right hand man but they don't give a shit about him.

After every MLG comes the obligatory "Milkis Appreciation" threads where people make forced compliments about what a great job he's been doing. But let's just face it, he does a piss poor job at translating (the guy from complexity, or the girl from IPL is way better). He stutters more than a terran microing marines and blames it on his nervousness and that he "normally doesn't do this". Every line he translates ends in something about "wanting to show good games". I'm pretty sure the koreans don't say the fucking same shit in response to every question asked.

Okay so what else does he do? Promote korean teams, merchandise and basically everything korean. He prides himself as the spokesperson for the korean teams or something when they're all just using him to market their brand. This guy's a fucking patriot. He thinks koreans are right every time. EG/TSL conflict? EG's fault. Koreans dropping out of NASL? NASL's fault. Not sure why he's even living in the states. He might as well glue himself to korean soil.

Point is stop giving this cunt the benefit of the doubt.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
time to restart the gafcycle:

84WTE.png

the average SQ is slightly higher for America than Europe (88 vs. 84), and the difference is statistically significant (p<0.0001m two-tailed t-test).
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280421

NA>EU confirmed.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:

http://i.imgur.com/84WTE.png
the average SQ is slightly higher for America than Europe (88 vs. 84), and the difference is statistically significant (p<0.0001m two-tailed t-test).
[url]http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280421[/url]

NA>EU confirmed.[/QUOTE]
you need to actually play first

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/lsupz/finally_uploaded_rstarcraft_interviews_dustin/

And poorly formatted summary.

Thanks a ton for doing this, Aceanuu! Browder's so well-spoken and awesome to listen to. I love his interviews, and even more so when it's done with the r/SC community.

Edit: for anyone looking for a tl;dr, here're the answers (all paraphrased):
Does Blizzard see live-event connectivity as an issue? What measures are being taken to improve the situation?

Can't promise anything, something they'll look at, glad to see tournaments getting better hardware and fixing lag issues w/o Blizzard intervention

What is the status of the group replay feature?

Something they're working on, not sure if it'll make Heart of the Swarm.

Are there any plans to bring more community maps (GSL, etc) into the ladder pool?

Definitely plans to include more community maps, but Blizzard doesn't have it as easy as the GSL, which only has to balance maps for pros, not bronze through grandmaster.

Are there any plans to add more player stat tracking? Will the post-game score screen receive an update?

Planned score screen-revamp in HotS. Less of a spreadsheet on front page, more of a spreadsheet on other pages. Want to fix design and have had plans to fix the score screen since before release. Don't know which stats will be included, but wish to add more stats in the back, cleaner front. Not sure which will make HotS. Browder says seeing maps and matches would be cool.

Will the ingame clock ever be changed to realtime?

Blizzard needs to change it, was a bad idea from the start. Expect a change "pretty soon". Nobody plays in normal, so time is broken.

Has any thought been given to incorporating aspects of the Strong Team Colors mod?

Browder loves the idea for both the professional scene and everyone else. They're looking at their options and like/support the mod, but don't know if they'll add anything.

Will there ever be an MMR reset? Additional ladder discussion.

Matchmaking would be "trashed" for the week following a reset. They like the MMR system how it is, as passionate players can play at whatever level their skill is.

What are your thoughts on the particular regional ladder differences and Korea’s ladder dominance?

Says top-tier pros skew statistics. No way to know which ladder is better for sure. If the skill differences are true (Browder says he has no proof of it going KR > EU > US), likely due to differences in culture. Notes EU players play a few hours less per week than US last he checked.

What Heart of the Swarm units are at risk because they’re potentially “game breaking” in their current form?

"A lot" of the units are teetering on the edge of game-breaking right now. Says Swarm Host "works", Oracle (at least Entomb) "works", everything else he's unsure about. Most scared of the "Replicant" (not worried about balance, but eliminating units from the metagame, ie banshees leaving TvP).

Were any of the new units inspired by Brood War units? Why Warhound, not simply Goliath?

Not "super-inspired" by Defiler with the Viper (example provided by interviewer). Wanted to make a "big snake", which inspired the art. Shredder made to get board control for Terran like the Vulture. Warhound is a work-in-progress. "Ok" if it turns into an AoE Goliath, using Goliath art a possibility.

Why is the shredder a mobile unit instead of building?

Needed to have a food cost to be balanced so Terran can't have an unlimited amount.

Which Wings of Liberty units were the hardest to balance?

Overseer drove them "crazy". Gives food, but can be made infinitely, so spells couldn't be too good. Unit was a flawed idea. Thor was problematic, as it costs so much and can be countered easily or easily counter something else, while SC is very economic-based and not built around one unit. Mothership not used much, made to be "goofy", somewhat like nukes in Brood War. Ultralisk tough due to its pathing. Carriers not being used much (occasionally in pro games), sometimes built in 4v4 games in packs (lul). Tempest essentially an AoE Carrier, but role was different enough to warrant new unit design. Says Carrier is iconic, but Protoss needs something to fight massive air threats.

Pandaman said:

http://i.imgur.com/84WTE.png[/fg]
[url]http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280421[/url]

NA>EU confirmed.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39068000/jpg/_39068481_sahaf.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This page is full of greatness

Keikaku

Q8D3vil said:
no, he is much worse

that reddit thread is crazy
I think that Milkis made the mistake of talking in absolutes and assuming that /r/starcraft is such a pro-Starcraft community that everyone would overlook the first paragraph and just agree with him. Obviously, that didn't happen.

That said, the silly assertion in the first paragraph aside, there was some interesting information to be gleaned from a couple of the later paragraphs, specifically the stuff about Kespa. Then he had to ruin it with his supposition that "fangirls=success" for Brood War.

Even with all that . . . man, did he catch a lot of shit from people. Way out of proportion to what he posted, silly as it was. The guy has gone and deleted his whole Reddit account :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If people loved Brood War the most they would understand it is the best. That one logical reddit poster is clearly horribly incorrect.

Q8D3vil

Keikaku said:
I think that Milkis made the mistake of talking in absolutes and assuming that /r/starcraft is such a pro-Starcraft community that everyone would overlook the first paragraph and just agree with him. Obviously, that didn't happen.

That said, the silly assertion in the first paragraph aside, there was some interesting information to be gleaned from a couple of the later paragraphs, specifically the stuff about Kespa. Then he had to ruin it with his supposition that "fangirls=success" for Brood War.

Even with all that . . . man, did he catch a lot of shit from people. Way out of proportion to what he posted, silly as it was. The guy has gone and deleted his whole Reddit account :/
you know you are doing something wrong when djwheat is against you.

its not about being the best, he clearly stated that he think bw is the only esport game.

Keikaku

Q8D3vil said:
you know you are doing something wrong when djwheat is against you.

its not about being the best, he clearly stated that he think bw is the only esport game.
I'm not disagreeing with you Devil. The only things I said in defense of Milkis is that I liked his explanation of Kespa and that people totally went overboard on their attacks on Milkis.

Q8D3vil

Keikaku said:
I'm not disagreeing with you Devil. The only things I said in defense of Milkis is that I liked his explanation of Kespa and that people totally went overboard on their attacks on Milkis.
well, you can't shit on people faces and expect them to say thank you.

Keikaku

Q8D3vil said:
well, you can't shit on people faces and expect them to say thank you.
And when, exactly, did I ever say that was the only other acceptable outcome? I was pretty clear that people have a right to be angry because Milkis did say something silly.

I'm all for shitting on Milkis. He's a shitty translator and an annoying community figure. We need to get rid of some other people like JP too. You could have a computer moderate State of the Game and it would have as much personality.

cubicle47b said:
I'm all for shitting on Milkis. He's a shitty translator and an annoying community figure. We need to get rid of some other people like JP too. You could have a computer moderate State of the Game and it would have as much personality.

I'm fine with him as a show host, but listening to him cast games or try to pump up the crowd is painful. I don't understand how he is so dry, I'm pretty sure that I was more animated during the MMA vs. MVP match tonight than he was. I went wild when that nuke hit lol

Dooraven said:
JP is fine as a MLG rep and a SOTG host. He should never be allowed to commentate games however.
He's really not, I'm not trying to shit on him, he's the prefect backstage kinda guy but he's not really either good at casting or hosting a show.

The only thing that he does as a host is provide topics and throws them at the other hosts. He doesn't try to play the devil's advocate to start some debate when all of the hosts agree on one thing and nobody is gonna provide a counter point. Wheat for all his faults is a much better show host.

a176

Banned
Keikaku said:
And when, exactly, did I ever say that was the only other acceptable outcome? I was pretty clear that people have a right to be angry because Milkis did say something silly.

i dont understand wheat's response to that post
in no way did milkis talk shit about any other game
all he said was

"Brood War is the only true eSports."

"Brood War is the exception -- it is perhaps, the only game where most of the content is consumed by people who barely play the game, but are drawn in by the content created by the professional gamers and the casters."

he didnt go out of his was to name EVO [et all] as imitators to the throne or other dumb shit like that. all he did was provide a history of BW and why it can truly define itself as an esport compared to others (being on TV and drawing in hundreds of thousands of non-gamers). these are legitimate points.

but in comes high and holy wheat and slasher who they themselves believe they should be idolized for running an 'esports show'. please. i have far more respect for milkis (and other translators) who have provided me a gateway into the BW world I would never have gotten the chance to experience without their help.

milkis isn't the most socially orientated person out there, granted. that's reason to shit on him? he talks bad about sc2 on tl, hurr durr, so do alot of people, yet he still takes the opprotunity to translate for mlg.

you should hang you head in fucking shame to talk shit about someone [trying] to provide so much to the community of both SC2 and BW. fuck you reddit and others who agree with them.

Q8D3vil

-COOLIO- said:
Q8D3vil

that terran opener vs protoss was amazing, got any vids for a zerg opener?
if you want to apply pressure do the 11/12 rax or 12/14 to be more economic.

another good opening is
12 rax (keep producing marines)
13 refinery
18 factory
when factory finish start cc and build a hellion and apply pressure with 1 hellion and 4 marines.

only works against 14 hatchery because speed won't be done.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
TheThunder said:
He's really not, I'm not trying to shit on him, he's the prefect backstage kinda guy but he's not really either good at casting or hosting a show.
he's the perfect saw-you-and-your-friends-attending-some-event-on-facebook-and-decided-to-turn-up-uninvited kinda guy. it's been quite a journey watching him snake his way into the heart of a scene which he really doesn't bring anything to.

as a host, he's dull and lacks any kind of authority or chemistry with his guests.
as a commentator, his knowledge is as lacking as his piss weak delivery.
as a spokesperson he's kinda awkward and spergy, reeling off deflated pleasantries with all the charisma of a bank teller.

i feel pretty similar towards him and milkis. they got in while the going was good, now they have their old boy's membership card and despite being outclassed in both utility and presentation by any number of newcomers, their connections have them burrowed in like nepotist ticks.

Keikaku

a176 said:
i dont understand wheat's response to that post
in no way did milkis talk shit about any other game
all he said was

he didnt go out of his was to name EVO [et all] as imitators to the throne or other dumb shit like that. all he did was provide a history of BW and why it can truly define itself as an esport compared to others (being on TV and drawing in hundreds of thousands of non-gamers). these are legitimate points.

but in comes high and holy wheat and slasher who they themselves believe they should be idolized for running an 'esports show'. please. i have far more respect for milkis (and other translators) who have provided me a gateway into the BW world I would never have gotten the chance to experience without their help.

milkis isn't the most socially orientated person out there, granted. that's reason to shit on him? he talks bad about sc2 on tl, hurr durr, so do alot of people, yet he still takes the opprotunity to translate for mlg.

you should hang you head in fucking shame to talk shit about someone [trying] to provide so much to the community of both SC2 and BW. fuck you reddit and others who agree with them.

Saying that BW is the only true eSport-that is a patently silly position to take and it, by definition, is shit talking about other games.

As many people pointed out in the comments:
- Warcraft 3 matches or beats Starcraft 2 in live event viewership, especially in China
- LoL tournament streams are consistently some of the most highly viewed esports tournaments in the world.
- Outside of Korea, games like Quake and CS also have huge followings. Numerically, they might not manage to match SC2 or BW, but they still give out big purses.

Thousands of players play many, many different games at a pro level and by saying that BW is the only true esport is essentially saying "None of those other guys are really participating in esports. Only BW players count." That's a silly and shortsighted argument.

Also, this quote by you:
but in comes high and holy wheat and slasher who they themselves believe they should be idolized for running an 'esports show'
is an amazingly terrible strawman argument. Well done.
I never said Milkis doesn't do positive things for SC2. I only said that he made a silly comment in this case. Maybe if you actually read my posts instead of engaging your fanboy mode like you did earlier this morning, you would have seen that.

I'm certainly not going to "hang my head in fucking shame" for suggesting that one guy thinks that his definition of esports is all-encompassing. If he posts his opinion publicly, he certainly should expect criticism and opposing points of view. He isn't above it simply because he's a community figure.

Mairu

I like Milkis but he has a fairly warped view of Korea and BW. I take most things he's saying with a grain of salt when he's not doing translations

Keikaku

Mairu said:
I like Milkis but he has a fairly warped view of Korea and BW. I take most things he's saying with a grain of salt when he's not doing translations
I'm working on the Marine-ified version of your avatar right now :eek:

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mairu said:
probably best you expand that to when he is doing translations, too. unless you really think korean gamers speak like in catch-all generic vauguities.

a176

Banned
Keikaku said:
Saying that BW is the only true eSport-that is a patently silly position to take and it, by definition, is shit talking about other games.

He isn't above it simply because he's a community figure.

again, where does he actually talk shit? he just talks about the history of BW, being televised on 2 national korean television stations (yes, I have watched professional BW on direct tv in the past), and drawing in hundreds of thousands of viewers, many nongamers, and millions of dollars worth of sponsorship money from non-gaming affiliated companies. these are feats not many other games can claim to have achieved and which put BW at a level beyond the others. thats all there is in that post. feel free to point out where exactly he lies out of his teeth and shits on the rest of the entirety of the gaming world to warrant such a bullfuck response from wheat et all.

hamchan

a176 said:
again, where does he actually talk shit? he just talks about the history of BW, being televised on 2 national korean television stations (yes, I have watched professional BW on direct tv in the past), and drawing in hundreds of thousands of viewers, many nongamers, and millions of dollars worth of sponsorship money from non-gaming affiliated companies. these are feats not many other games can claim to have achieved and which put BW at a level beyond the others. thats all there is in that post. feel free to point out where exactly he lies out of his teeth and shits on the rest of the entirety of the gaming world to warrant such a bullfuck response from wheat et all.

Well, calling BW the only esport is looking down on every other competitive game.

Mairu

Keikaku said:
I'm working on the Marine-ified version of your avatar right now :eek:
:O!

ghst said:
probably best you expand that to when he is doing translations, too. unless you really think korean gamers speak like in catch-all generic vauguities.
Well that's not really any different than the majority of translations we're treated to in the SC scene :/

MrKnives

syllogism said:
Milkis even deleted his twitter account? What a baby. Wonder if we'll even see him at MLGs

Not sure I ever liked his translations tbh so can't say I'm crying here. He made all koreans feel weird, unless they actually talk that way which would be even more weird.

MrKnives

Pandaman said:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280421

NA>EU confirmed.

Weren't best of EU still higher than the best of NA though?

Also:

Before getting into the analysis, there are numerous caveats that must be considered.

1) While SQ generally increases with skill, it is possible that different playstyles may lead to higher or lower SQ scores. And it may be that different playstyles are more common in particular regions. For example, let's suppose two base all-ins result in a higher SQ score, and two base all-ins are more common on a particular server. The average SQ score may be inflated for that region, despite the players not being inherently any better at spending. I have not found any correlations between SQ and game duration in any of the leagues, but that does not entirely rule out this possibility.

2) In my previous analysis, I found that each race scored equally well in terms of SQ at all levels of the ladder. However, it is possible that at the absolute highest level, the races run into different ceilings on spending. This would introduce a bias against certain players, and may even slightly affect the average SQ for Grandmaster league between regions if there are different racial compositions. I don't yet have enough data to test this hypothesis.

3) If SQ is indeed balanced for all races, it is nonetheless possible that different match ups could differentially affect SQ. For example, Protoss could score the same as the other races on average, but score worse in PvP and better in PvT and PvZ. This is an analysis that I've not yet performed, so I don't know whether this is the case or not.

4) It's important to remember that many of the top players in each region are frequently in other regions (e.g., Korea). Furthermore, players often play on multiple regions. This means the top 10 for a particular region is not necessarily representative of the depth of the skill pool in each region. Caution needs to be exercised in analyzing the results - they should not be used to conclude that players from region A are better than players from region B.

5) It's been said before, but I'll say it again: SQ is not everything. The Spending Quotient does not take any strategic factors into account. It simply measures how well a player spends their money relative to all other players at the same level of income. When averaged across many games, it has been shown to correlate well with overall skill, and it measures one of the core skills. But it does not directly measure anything else.

Maybe NA just drones less :p

MrKnives

Isn't the whole SQ kinda shaky for Zergs. In many cases they intentionally pile up resources before knowing what's up and then make drones or attacking units depending on what they scout.
Or when saving for mutas / some other units they want like broodlords.

Q8D3vil

MrKnives said:
Isn't the whole SQ kinda shaky for Zergs. In many cases they intentionally pile up resources before knowing what's up and then make drones or attacking units depending on what they scout.
i wonder what nestea sq was in blizzcon final.

Q8D3vil

Deadman said:
eVqGu.png

We did it! Every sc2gaf topic in one page: Eu vs Na, Bw vs Sc2, Balance, Ponies.

Also infestors are fine and ghosts are op.
tried mass ghost but mass infestors ultra raped me :/ (i forgot to upgrade armor :/).
it was metalopolis crossposition so it was in favor of the zerg.

its a fucking joke.

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
tried mass ghost but mass infestors ultra raped me :/ (i forgot to upgrade armor :/).
it was metalopolis crossposition so it was in favor of the zerg.

its a fucking joke.

I never understood how this works. You lost doing Ghosts vs Infestors so that means Infestors are OP.
What would have happened if you won. Perfect balance or Ghosts are OP?

V_Arnold

MrKnives said:
I never understood how this works. You lost doing Ghosts vs Infestors so that means Infestors are OP.
What would have happened if you won. Perfect balance or Ghosts are OP?

For Devil, balance = Terran wins.
It is obvious.

Dooraven

MrKnives said:

It doesn't really work for Protoss either due to the front loaded nature of warp gates and the fact that warp ins are sometimes saved for preventing drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom