• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden

welp, TSL is surely now the worst team!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=245970

(puma leaves TSL)

edit : dammit! isn't code b everybody, since its like a 512 player qualifier.

TSL announced today that they will be releasing Puma on their team. The team revealed today that after Puma won NASL, Puma directly received interest from a foreign team, Evil Geniuses.

Manager Lee noted that "It is disappointing that we have to make a decision like this, but it's absolutely disgusting that Evil Geniuses would ignore the coaches completely and directly go talk to the player"

Meanwhile, EG has been confirmed to have shown interest in recruiting Korean players as they haven't been too successful in recent Starcraft 2 tournaments.

EG.PUMA!
i think its a bad move for puma.

Mairu

Hugoboss21 said:
welp, TSL is surely now the worst team!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=245970

(puma leaves TSL)

edit : dammit! isn't code b everybody, since its like a 512 player qualifier.

EG.PUMA!
i think its a bad move for puma.
damn, tsl can't catch a break

I don't see how it can be a bad move for Puma when he was obviously offered a better deal with EG and he hasn't exactly seen that much success in Korea. Good for him for making more money and probably showing up in a lot more international tournaments

Mairu

Hugoboss21 said:
SK.Nada
SK.Mc

Allrdy started bro

I guess its all about the cash nowaday ;(
SK thing is different though considering they're still on a Korean team. It's too bad this didn't happen a day earlier, it would've been interesting to hear SirScoots talk about this player acquisition in the same context as the Fnatic/SK stuff they were talking about with the SK manager.

It'll be interesting to see how the Korean scene adapts to the growing foreigner market and if their SC2 Player Association starts putting in anti-foreigner clauses. It's nice to see good players getting paid.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if the forgien e-sports scene continues to grow, its on korea to play nice. they cant compete financially with the rest of the world, korean pros would be stupid to stay in korea for long.

also damn at destiny tearing StarTale apart in the geforce tourney

Pandaman said:
coaches mad players are doing whats best for themselves financially.

Oh agreed, definitely. I just wonder if this will be a wakeup call to coaches. Their top talent may be content with Korea, but there have to be a lot of Code A/B guys there who don't see themselves going anywhere given Korea's stagnant SC2 community/tournament scene.

Will Puma move to the US (Arizona)?

Holden

fanboi said:
Which is great!

Make the game more professional.

not relly. IMO, puma is just gonna start playing worse then not gonna win anything, and just gonna finish like a normal foreigh player, unless he does something. But this game is starcraft 2, so i dont know
this game is garbage :p

*runs away*

Jeff-DSA

Hugoboss21 said:
not relly. IMO, puma is just gonna start playing worse then not gonna win anything, and just gonna finish like a normal foreigh player, unless he does something. But this game is starcraft 2, so i dont know

*runs away*

What's the point of this? Enough of the elitist BW crap.

Mairu

nilbog21 said:
where does sirscoots get his money? surely giving lzgamer and machine a salary doesnt give back much revenue..
EG is more than a sc2 team and we don't even know how lucrative the contract was. It's not like EG went and bought TSL and made the entire team EG Korea

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
nilbog21 said:
where does sirscoots get his money? surely giving lzgamer and machine a salary doesnt give back much revenue..
sponsors, ads, portions of prize winnings, other teams under the EG banner.

Mairu

mescalineeyes said:
TSL also pays their players.
The only real details we ever got about that report that said that TSL started giving salaries to some of their players was that FruitDealer and Trickster were being paid. They're not even on the team anymore. Discussing the details about TSL's contract or lack of contract with Puma is kind of foolish since I doubt we'll ever hear any real details ;|

cdyhybrid

Well he sure as hell isn't joining for the practice environment. The only guy on EG that would actually challenge him would be a non-tilting Idra.

cdyhybrid said:
Well he sure as hell isn't joining for the practice environment. The only guy on EG that would actually challenge him would be a non-tilting Idra.

Just think how much better InControl will be now with such a premier practice player :p

fanboi

Banned
Hugoboss21 said:

*runs away*

Well I don't care for Puma as a individual SC2 player, I care more about the whole scene where it will get more pro if this sort of things happens.

hamchan

Good move from EG but pretty bad of them to not even talk to the manager or coach of TSL. EG have always been kinda shady and ruthless like that though, so not too unexpected.

Watch Korean teams not send their top pros to foreign events unless they have an air tight contract around them.

Wonder if Puma's play will suffer because of this(if he moves to their house in the US then it definitely will)

Q8D3vil

eqBSW.png

MrKnives

mescalineeyes said:
EG seems so despicable.

having douches like incontrol on their team isn't helping either.

Well they are the evil geniuses :eek:
Puma must be getting lots of money if he is willing leave korea for this.
I'm sure he will come to the EG house, notice they practice like 3h a day and say fuck this and go back to korea.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
why would EG talk to TSL? its none of their business. you dont talk to a business when you're trying to poach their talent, you just offer the employees something better. if the employees want to agree to a clause against buyouts with TSL you gotta make that worth their while, if you dont you remove any investment in the players decisions.

Hugoboss21 said:

*runs away*

Or maybe this will lead to a better international scene which BW was never able to accomplish.

Edit: Also fuck the people insulting players like puma for taking the cash. There isn't that much money in e-sports and they don't have all that long too earn it. Players have every right to try and make some money while they can.

I'm sure the people saying this type of thing aren't earning practically nothing for their job.

second edit: and this is coming from someone who can't stand EG or incontrol.

MrKnives

Pandaman said:
why would EG talk to TSL? its none of their business. you dont talk to a business when you're trying to poach their talent, you just offer the employees something better. if the employees want to agree to a clause against buyouts, you gotta make that worth their while, if you dont alls fair.

What EG even should say. "Well, coach, I know your team is kinda falling apart and I'm sure you are under a lot of stress. We would want to relieve some of that and take Puma from your hands so you don't have to worry about actually winning anything."

People love to hate EG, even more so after the SotG incident. I should have known that something was up though. Incontrol was drooling over Puma in the last Inside the Game.l

If he's under contract then you have to talk to the team or both the team (and player) are under serious trouble, at least that's how it works in regular sports but given there's nothing like that here (or even close to being established)...

Money talks

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheThunder said:
If he's under contract then you have to talk to the team or both the team (and player) are under serious trouble, at least that's how it works in regular sports but given there's nothing like that here (or even close to being established)...

Money talks
the fact that its EG makes me think they're rock solid on the contract end. EG is the only company that seems to be looking at esports as a serious business opportunity in sc2.

hamchan

Pandaman said:
the fact that its EG makes me think they're rock solid on the contract end. EG is the only company that seems to be looking at esports as a serious business opportunity in sc2.
What about FXO?

Pandaman said:
or they could've payed for the contract + payed the penalty for breaking the contract clause on behalf of Puma (although I really doubt this happened, it's probably more that he didn't have any real contract to begin with)

All in all I think that you'll see top Korean pros being sent to foreign events with their manger on their ass so no one would approach them without them knowing, or have a real, law biding contract that has a hefty penalty breaking the contract clause so no one would even think about out right buying the player.

V_Arnold

Also, if Puma was not compensated well enough ( I guess he would have needed to win a GSL For that, usually that is their standard), then offering actually decent money is more than fair for jumping ship.

This is a competition, and the SCII scene is bigger than SCII Korea. This is perfectly legit, and is the equivalent of good football players (like Gera Zoltan from FTC, Hungary) getting "poached" by big english teams just because they see the talent in him AND they have insanely more money than the hungarian football teams.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hamchan said:
What about FXO?
FXO is more like teamliquid/Lazarus Gaming, they have a sponsor who can just throw money around. the teams mostly just exist to get the sponsors name some good credit. EG the company only does professional gaming.

Dooraven

The Koreans seem pretty pissed. Unfortunately this might start some sort of KeSPA thing in SC2 which I don't really want to see due to the countless shit KeSPA has done in the past for Brood War.

V_Arnold said:
Also, if Puma was not compensated well enough ( I guess he would have needed to win a GSL For that, usually that is their standard), then offering actually decent money is more than fair for jumping ship.

This is a competition, and the SCII scene is bigger than SCII Korea. This is perfectly legit, and is the equivalent of good football players (like Gera Zoltan from FTC, Hungary) getting "poached" by big english teams just because they see the talent in him AND they have insanely more money than the hungarian football teams.
When this happens in football, the team gets something out of it (usually a pretty good sum) if their player was under contract, if he wasn't then it's all fair game.

but it's hard to compare a multi-billion dollar industry that's been around for ~100 years to a barley million dollar one that's much younger.

Mairu

Dooraven said:
The Koreans seem pretty pissed. Unfortunately this might start some sort of KeSPA thing in SC2 which I don't really want to see due to the countless shit KeSPA has done in the past for Brood War.
They already have the SC2 Player Association, but all they seem to do is stop Koreans from streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom