• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverX

WedgeX said:
9ers fan?

Well, you guys did have Steve Young at one point.

<3

And at least he's not dirtbag.
When I was in high school a good friend of mine was a niners fan. This was back when they were in the same division. So much fun trash talking. At the time the Saints were total shit and the niners were good. Now he's a Saints fan too. Who Dat!

Keikaku

hoverX said:
When I was in high school a good friend of mine was a niners fan. This was back when they were in the same division. So much fun trash talking. At the time the Saints were total shit and the niners were good. Now he's a Saints fan too. Who Dat!

Your friend is a coward and a traitor, sir!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
hoverX said:
Means he was never a true niners fan. Just a bandwagoner. We dont want those shits.

hoverX

Corran Horn said:
Means he was never a true niners fan. Just a bandwagoner. We dont want those shits.
Lol he's still a niners fan too but he's happy to see the Saints finally winning.

Birdman02

Keikaku said:
Your friend is a coward and a traitor, sir!

Truth.

Niners fan for life!! I've had to put up with a lot of abuse the last few years (or ten) because I've lived in Dallas my whole life. Hopefully, we're back on our way up!

On topic, I have had the absolute worst timing tonight. At least 3-4 early rushes hit my ramp right when I look away to place a pylon...causing me to just miss my forcefield and lose. :(

Jeff-DSA

My Internet went down (thanks, Comcast!).

Did I miss out on GAF night? I was planning on making my first appearance this evening.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
hoverX said:
Lol he's still a niners fan too but he's happy to see the Saints finally winning.
You can only have one team to root for.

Birdman02 said:
Truth.

Niners fan for life!! I've had to put up with a lot of abuse the last few years (or ten) because I've lived in Dallas my whole life. Hopefully, we're back on our way up!

On topic, I have had the absolute worst timing tonight. At least 3-4 early rushes hit my ramp right when I look away to place a pylon...causing me to just miss my forcefield and lose. :(
Nice. I had a friend who was a cowboys fan. 90s were interesting time of back and forth shit talking lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Keikaku

NeoGAF Summer Invitational

Finalized Brackets

Side 1
Elcheris vs. Yoshim
Ultrabum vs. Corran Horn
Q8D3vil vs. MisterAnderson
Moemoland vs. Terproerg
Paz vs. Pankaks
Vaporak vs. Ultron87
MescalineEyes vs. Trasher
Chanstaa vs. Aylinato

Side 2
Striek vs. Zargle
Spl1ter vs. Slavik81
BigAT vs. Hazaro
Wedge7 vs. ShallNoiseUpon
Holden vs. Jasonng
SteveWinwood vs. Twosocks
Xenien vs. Lathentar
Pandaman vs. Vasperknight

mcrae

went into mumble at 4am EST today after i got home from the bar to see who is around. LoL: no one, HoN: no one, starcraft: noone, minecraft: 4 peeps playing world of warcraft. 40 minutes later i was chatting with 2 of em, husband n wife, and may hav erecruited em to come join gaf night neft wed/post in the thread to come chillax with all us cool cats. somethingsomethingwithsomething, and pat, come post!
sry for forgetting uor name within 1 minute of talking with you, lol.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Side 1
Elcheris vs. Yoshim
Ultrabum vs. Corran Horn
Moemoland vs. Terproerg
Paz vs. Pankaks
Vaporak vs. Ultron87
Chanstaa vs. Aylinato

Side 2
Striek vs. Zargle
Spl1ter vs. Slavik81
BigAT vs. Hazaro
Wedge7 vs. ShallNoiseUpon
Holden vs. Jasonng
SteveWinwood vs. Twosocks
Xenien vs. Lathentar
Pandaman vs. Vasperknight
NjLCP.gif

most interested in seeing:
Ultrabum vs. Corran Horn
Vaporak vs. Ultron87
Spl1nter vs. Slavik81
BigAT vs. Hazaro

V_Arnold

Two nights ago I was so happy going into SC2 games. Then I collapsed mentally (okay, early morning, long day, anyway), I lost 4 game against very.... dumb (go away, Idra sound in my mind!)...protoss players. Then I proceeded into a ZVZ, where my opp went for an exp first with NO GAS and no roach on Tal Darim. I went speedfirst, put down a bane, and obliterated him. Then he BM'd me for minutes, saying that I am dumb for not going for macro game. I tried to ask how he expects to enforce his macro on me when I already invested in speed+lings, but of course there is no answer.

Then, I take a deep breath, proceed to the next game. Terran, Shattered temple. See tech lab on the barrack, and no bunker. Exp, 2 queens, 10+ lings, going for fast lair. He comes then. WITH 3 REAPER, 4 MARINE AND 15 SCV. Yeah, good luck stopping that. WTF....

I am broken mentally. I cant play this game anymore like this. It bears no fruit. Either I hate myself, or the opponents hate me. Worst thing is that I went in so happily, hugging every single loss. But it is hard. Maybe I really should switch to a race with a safer early game. Terran?

V_Arnold

Good luck Devil, Thor rush the hell out of your opps in Gaf open! :)
And of course good luck to everyone who plays zerg

twofold

V_Arnold said:
Two nights ago I was so happy going into SC2 games. Then I collapsed mentally (okay, early morning, long day, anyway), I lost 4 game against very.... dumb (go away, Idra sound in my mind!)...protoss players. Then I proceeded into a ZVZ, where my opp went for an exp first with NO GAS and no roach on Tal Darim. I went speedfirst, put down a bane, and obliterated him. Then he BM'd me for minutes, saying that I am dumb for not going for macro game. I tried to ask how he expects to enforce his macro on me when I already invested in speed+lings, but of course there is no answer.

Then, I take a deep breath, proceed to the next game. Terran, Shattered temple. See tech lab on the barrack, and no bunker. Exp, 2 queens, 10+ lings, going for fast lair. He comes then. WITH 3 REAPER, 4 MARINE AND 15 SCV. Yeah, good luck stopping that. WTF....

I am broken mentally. I cant play this game anymore like this. It bears no fruit. Either I hate myself, or the opponents hate me. Worst thing is that I went in so happily, hugging every single loss. But it is hard. Maybe I really should switch to a race with a safer early game. Terran?

Terran is ez. Use Trump's 3 rax build and you'll be in Masters in no time at all!

The most difficult part about Starcraft 2, I find, is accepting that losing is normal. Think of every loss as a learning experience. Watch the replay, look for signs to improve your play and go from there. At the moment, you're dependant on the outcome of the game to dictate whether you're enjoying yourself or not. You need to switch it up so that you take enjoyment from playing the game, not just from winning.

It's so very easy to rage (I do it nearly every time I lose! :D), but you have to persevere and ride out the plateau if you want to improve.

Check out the book Mastery by George Leonard. It deals with mindset required to get the most out of skill acquisition. You can read it here - http://www.scribd.com/doc/257928/-Mastery-by-George-Leonard

Alternatively, this dude wrote up a pretty decent summary - http://gettingstronger.org/2010/03/george-leonards-mastery/

I really recommend reading the whole book - it'll only take an hour or two and you'll learn so much.

V_Arnold

twofold said:
Terran is ez. Use Trump's 3 rax build and you'll be in Masters in no time at all!

The most difficult part about Starcraft 2, I find, is accepting that losing is normal. Think of every loss as a learning experience. Watch the replay, look for signs to improve your play and go from there.

It's so very easy to rage (I do it nearly every time I lose! :D), but you have to persevere and ride out the plateau if you want to improve.

Check out the book Mastery by George Leonard. It deals with mindset required to get the most out of skill acquisition. You can read it here - http://www.scribd.com/doc/257928/-Mastery-by-George-Leonard

Alternatively, this dude wrote up a pretty decent summary - http://gettingstronger.org/2010/03/george-leonards-mastery/

I really recommend reading the whole book - it'll only take an hour or two and you'll learn so much.

Thanks for the appreciations, though over the coarse of the last few years, I have been doing competitive games and competitive games only (5-4kyu at Go, a decent Viper in SF, not to mention Halo3 months :D). And my goal is not to become a master player. If I wanted that, I would cherrypick a few good pressure->kill T/P builds and destroy any random opponents on ladder, but I actually want to become a good player that Master will only be a "side effect" of this :D

twofold

V_Arnold said:
Thanks for the appreciations, though over the coarse of the last few years, I have been doing competitive games and competitive games only (5-4kyu at Go, a decent Viper in SF, not to mention Halo3 months :D). And my goal is not to become a master player. If I wanted that, I would cherrypick a few good pressure->kill T/P builds and destroy any random opponents on ladder, but I actually want to become a good player that Master will only be a "side effect" of this :D

I was being sarcastic about the masters comment. :p

(Terran really is ezmode, though! ;D)

Seriously, though. Read the book and apply what's in it. You'll be all the better for it. Once you learn to play to practise instead of playing to win, you'll find your results grow exponentially without any effort and you'll have a lot more fun. It's awesome.

I try to read Mastery every 6 or so months - it's one of my favourite books of all time and it's helped me so, so much in loads of different parts of my life.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
Wow, really?
No credit to me at all?

I mean sure I haven't played in like 4 months, but come on.
bigAT has been playing though, thats the big swing factor in that vote. :p

twofold said:
I was being sarcastic about the masters comment. :p

(Terran really is ezmode, though! ;D)

Seriously, though. Read the book and apply what's in it. You'll be all the better for it. Once you learn to play to practise instead of playing to win, you'll find your results grow exponentially without any effort and you'll have a lot more fun. It's awesome.

I try to read Mastery every 6 or so months - it's one of my favourite books of all time and it's helped me so, so much in loads of different parts of my life.

pssh...Toss is ez mode.

twofold

mescalineeyes said:
Terran is not ezmode at all, they just have pretty good units.

I find it significantly easier mechanics wise than playing Zerg so it feels like easy mode to me. After learning to macro as Zerg, macroing as Terran feels so easy. I have so many units out so quickly that I end up overwhelming my opponents with brute force.

I'm sure this changes at the super high levels but I've been beating mid/high Diamonds on the KR server using the ever so simple Trump 3 rax opening and building lots of shit.

When I play Zerg against the same opponents, I lose really, really badly despite playing 500+ more games as Zerg.

Q8D3vil

shattered temple is one of the easiest map to scout thank to the hidden spot behind the mineral line, you can easily see if he have a expo or taking a second gas which indicate cloaked banshee,
you need to have a certain timing to check the terran expo,if he didn't expand you need to 2 spines and baneling nest to counter whatever all in he is doing while.

explain to me why i'm not in masters then : |

most interested in seeing:
so you are interested in seeing 6 rax every game :D

Q8D3vil

I find it significantly easier mechanics wise than playing Zerg so it feels like easy mode to me. After learning to macro as Zerg, macroing as Terran feels so easy. I have so many units out so quickly that I end up overwhelming my opponents with brute force.

I'm sure this changes at the super high levels but I've been beating high diamonds/low masters on the KR server using the ever so simple Trump 3 rax opening and building lots of shit.

When I play Zerg against the same opponents, I lose really, really badly despite playing 500+ more games as Zerg.
did you consider the fact that your style favor terran more than zerg ?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
AdventureRacing said:
Is Elcheris a masters player? If so looks like first round for me.

Is there anywhere i can check what race he is so i know what to practice for?
elcheris is a masters zerg.

twofold

Q8D3vil said:
did you consider the fact that your style favor terran more than zerg ?

I don't think it's that at all. I think it's just that Terran requires less APM to play effectively than Zerg.

When I play as Zerg, I feel like there's a million things I want to do but there's not enough time to do it all. As Terran, I find it fairly easy to do everything I want to do and keep my minerals/gas low and my production facilities making stuff.

twofold said:
I don't think it's that at all. I think it's just that Terran requires less APM to play effectively than Zerg.

When I play as Zerg, I feel like there's a million things I want to do but there's not enough time to do it all. As Terran, I find it fairly easy to do everything I want to do and keep my minerals/gas low and my production facilities making stuff.

Sheth has a very low APM as a Zerg.

and AdventureRacing, check out SC2Ranks.com we have a division there (NeoGAF) I believe.

Won

twofold said:

Terran is just a lot of fun to play, while everything Zerg has to do feels like work. It's the truth.

twofold

Awesome Animals said:
Sheth has a very low APM as a Zerg.

and AdventureRacing, check out SC2Ranks.com we have a division there (NeoGAF) I believe.

players.jpg

208 apm is very low? What?

Look, simply put -- Terran macro mechanics are the easiest of the three races, macro decides the majority of games in Master league and below - therefore, unless you're at the tip top, Terran is the easiest to play since it's easier to build more stuff. Protoss is marginally more difficult than Terran due to the Warp Gate mechanic. Zerg is the hardest.

V_Arnold

twofold said:
players.jpg

208 apm is very low? What?

Look, simply put -- Terran macro mechanics are the easiest of the three races, macro decides the majority of games in Master league and below - therefore, unless you're at the tip top, Terran is the easiest to play since it's easier to build more stuff. Protoss is marginally more difficult than Terran due to the Warp Gate mechanic. Zerg is the hardest.

Uhm, nooo. No. Nothing difficult about that.

ultron87

V_Arnold said:

Well it's slightly more difficult then just hitting the barracks button and hitting DDDDDDDD.

We actually have to look at where we're warping stuff in.

V_Arnold

ultron87 said:
Well it's slightly more difficult then just hitting the barracks button and hitting DDDDDDDD.

We actually have to look at where we're warping stuff in.

If macro would be determined by this, then easiest is zerg, because there you only need one hatchery hotkey and you can make anything, any amount. Fastest, no looking, no problems :D

Q8D3vil

Look, simply put -- Terran macro mechanics are the easiest of the three races, macro decides the majority of games in Master league and below - therefore, unless you're at the tip top, Terran is the easiest to play since it's easier to build more stuff.Protoss is marginally more difficult than Terran due to the Warp Gate mechanic. Zerg is the hardest.

so i was right all along, your style favor terran, if you think protoss warp in is harder then constant clicking then i don't know what to say.

twofold

V_Arnold said:

I actually gained a newfound respect for the Protoss warp in macro mechanics as well as chrono boost after playing the Multitasking Trainer UMS. Your multi tasking needs to be good to keep your gates constantly on cooldown while using chrono effectively.

Q8D3vil said:
so i was right all along, your style favor terran, if you think protoss warp in is harder then constant clicking then i don't know what to say.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom