• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Animals said:
Why are we still talking about this? :(

Let's discuss how much longer it takes me until I get promoted. I beat every bronze/silver player I am facing. How does this shit work? I know I will need to lose eventually to get placement, but how long does it take? Do I need to be 1 in my division to get promoted. Do we know anyone at Blizzard that can just put me in Silver
gold
?

Rank has nothing to do with promotion.

Read this if you're interested in how the MMR works: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=195273

Edit: If you keep beating players with a higher ranking than you, it will keep matching you up against higher ranked players. When I was in gold I was facing diamonds before getting promoted. It needs to be certain that your MMR is in the right range before it promotes you.

Aylinato

i believe the way team games promotions r done is a little strange, cause when it wants you to get to 50% win rate it'll make you have bad teammates against good people(instead of putting people on the same skill set together vs better team or something)

i dislike that

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Rank has nothing to do with promotion.

Read this if you're interested in how the MMR works: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=195273

Edit: If you keep beating players with a higher ranking than you, it will keep matching you up against higher ranked players. When I was in gold I was facing diamonds before getting promoted. It needs to be certain that your MMR is in the right range before it promotes you.

I've read that thread probably three times, it isn't any less confusing than how MMR works. But I do understand the gist of it. I'm just creating a distraction.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
and you wonder why you're not getting promoted

:)

lol, GAFNight is for the fun. I won't ladder with Zerg until I'm better. Although I bet I could beat most Bronze leaguers with Zerg right now. I think a big hill to climb in bronze is just understanding macro and how the game works (note: not being good at that). It is a hill I've already climbed.

Jeff-DSA

Awesome Animals said:
lol, GAFNight is for the fun. I won't ladder with Zerg until I'm better. Although I bet I could beat most Bronze leaguers with Zerg right now. I think a big hill to climb in bronze is just understanding macro and how the game works (note: not being good at that). It is a hill I've already climbed.

Getting out of Bronze is about A moving and not supply blocking yourself. That's probably about it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jeff-DSA said:
Getting out of Bronze is about A moving and not supply blocking yourself. That's probably about it.
to be fair, not supply blocking yourself can get you into diamond.

Jeff-DSA said:

Yes, but when it is only a-moving, it comes down to larger army. So that + preventing supply blocking = macro! And I'm just talking about getting a basic understanding of this comcept.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Today at work, I got two people to buy a mechanical keyboard.

QPAD should pay me for this shit.

Pandaman said:
to be fair, not supply blocking yourself can get you into diamond.
Pretty much. Alot of lower leagued games are won or lost based on having units not building when they should be. A hilarious example of this is Totalbiscuit.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Jeff-DSA said:
Getting out of Bronze is doing something other than just staring at the screen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tntnnbltn

Played offrace as zerg in 4v4.

In the first two minutes battlenet drops one person from each side.

We rush. Me -- not knowing what I'm doing -- have 1k minerals and 500 gas floating in the bank cause I forget to do things like inject.

Another person from that the other team leaves, making it 3-2. But they completely defeat our push and things look grim.

Then battlenet simultanously drops the four remaining people in the room, leaving just me. And then after the 60 seconds is up I am victorious.

Hurray!

Jeff-DSA

Is there an unwritten rule that any team with a Zerg player has to rush in 2v2s, 3v3s, and 4v4s? I've never seen Zerg early expand and macro. It's always a really annoying rush.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jeff-DSA said:
Is there an unwritten rule that any team with a Zerg player has to rush in 2v2s, 3v3s, and 4v4s? I've never seen Zerg early expand and macro. It's always a really annoying rush.
zergs strentgh is at its peak in the early game for teams because bases are bigger and have wide or multiple entrances meanwhile, the average basecount per player is lower, bases are more spread out and a 2 player timing is much stronger and hard to reliably react to as a zerg typically would in a 1v1.

unless you're feeding a mutalisk build, you'll want your zergs running interference in the early game and it'll be your job to finish things.

jasonng

mescalineeyes said:
stop jerking off to your fucking rank and play the god-damn game.
No no, he wants to get promoted first THEN proceed to enjoy self-pleasures. Standards after all. I mean, how sexy is it to have that star on the bottom? Mmm...

mescalineeyes said:
stop jerking off to your fucking rank and play the god-damn game.

lol, I missed this comment, although wouldn't jerking off imply that I am proud of my fucking rank? And moreso, if I'm at work I can't play, if I can't play I'm going to bitch about my rank.

kmc

Aylinato said:
i believe the way team games promotions r done is a little strange, cause when it wants you to get to 50% win rate it'll make you have bad teammates against good people(instead of putting people on the same skill set together vs better team or something)

i dislike that

It's pretty sickening isn't it? Seems to switch every ten games or so. When it comes to playing with pubbies i'm either beating up on bronze/gold players with platinum/diamond/master allies or getting stomped by master teams while i'm stuck with bronze/gold allies. This seems to be a recent trend. I can count maybe 3 or 4 games recently where it was a bonafide even/fair match

grind

jasonng

And here it is, the first Gaf Night post in the new thread.
lOAXv.png

Awesome banner cred goes to MrMister (didn't think we'd forget ya?).

Now that Corran made a badass OT and included all info in OP, these posts are becoming more irrelevant but dammit I want to be in that wall of fame/shame. Not sure what's the agenda for tonight but I'm thinking some goofing off is in order. The Wildcard plays for the Summer Invitational should be finished by tonight all according to keikaku
's planned schedule
. If not, maybe we can spectate those. Who knows? It's fucking Gaf Night! So go close your Steam client and stop playing Team Fortress 2 just because it's free to play forever and get on bnet. Your Heavy play sucks anyways and I can't heal you if you keep letting those pyros kill me from behind. I'm looking at you, Panda.

The Weekly NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights
-Wednesdays starting @ 6pm PDT (9pm EST)
-Game types:
<1v1>
<1v1 obs>
<1v1 coaching>
<2v2>
<3v3>
<4v4>
<FFA>
<Custom Maps>
<Nuclear Arcade>
<Star Battle>
<City of Tempest>
<Mafia>
<MineralZ>
<Megaton Team Monobattles>
<MorroW's Micro Tournament>

Mumble + Stream
-Corran's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
-Hazard's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vggaming
-Vaultrin's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vaultrin21

MUMBLE INFORMATION:
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739
Backup server: IP = 67.23.187.114 and port = 20198
Download Here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So go close your Steam client and stop playing Team Fortress 2 just because it's free to play forever and get on bnet. Your Heavy play sucks anyways and I can't heal you if you keep letting those pyros kill me from behind. I'm looking at you, Panda.
fiiiiine.
x98sf.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How do you play Starcraft with hooves?

Guesong

Oooh, GAF Night!

But I wake up at 4 AM EST tommorow, so I'll skip this time. Need my sleep.

By the way, while albeitedly I have not given Mumble a chance yet (about to), you guys should check out Dolby Axon. I'll be able to make proper judgment once I tried Mumble, but it'll be hard to dislodge Axon as "the next Ventrilo" in my mind.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
jasonng said:
lOAXv.png

Now that Corran made a badass OT and included all info in OP, these posts are becoming more irrelevant but dammit I want to be in that wall of fame/shame.

clinton.jpg

Deadman

State of the game to return on 4th of July, a day that will also contain many hours of content being streamed by MLG.

MLG Live 4th of July Celebration Schedule (all times EDT)

3:00 PM – 4:00 PM – MLG Live Launch with JP McDaniel: includes special guests TBA, live tour of the new MLG Live studios, interviews, and more
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM – StarCraft 2 1v1 Showmatch, players TBA
5:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Special Edition of SC Center
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM – Call of Duty: Black Ops with Nexy and HolidayDoc.: a best-of-3 grudge match between Columbus Champs Optic Gaming and 2nd Place finishers Force
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM – Halo: Reach with Puckett: Dynasty vs. Status Quo in a best-of-5 Showmatch
8:00 PM – 9:00 PM - Quake with Slasher: players TBA
9:00 PM – 10:00 PM – StarCraft 2 with JP: 1v1 and 2v2 Showmatches, players TBA
10:00 PM – Onwards – All-new State of the Game with JP and new co-hosts TBA

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/the-mlg-live-4th-of-july-broadcast-extravaganza

ultron87

JP is a "top gaming personality"? Man, he has a come a long way from 'guy at Day9 Launch Party that looks like the lost third Plott brother'.

WedgeX

Banned
jasonng said:
http://i.imgur.com/lOAXv.png

Now that Corran made a badass OT and included all info in OP, these posts are becoming more irrelevant but dammit I want to be in that wall of fame/shame. Not sure what's the agenda for tonight but I'm thinking some goofing off is in order. The Wildcard plays for the Summer Invitational should be finished by tonight all according to keikaku
's planned schedule
. If not, maybe we can spectate those. Who knows? It's fucking Gaf Night! So go close your Steam client and stop playing Team Fortress 2 just because it's free to play forever and get on bnet. Your Heavy play sucks anyways and I can't heal you if you keep letting those pyros kill me from behind. I'm looking at you, Panda.

This is the very first time I have laughed in real life at spoilers.

GAF Night!

IceMarker

I gotta admit I laughed at your GAF night post as well Jason... I believe this is number 28(?), you might want to keep track!

WedgeX

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Born and raised in NorCal. Niners are the best team in the NFL right now. YEAH I SAID IT.

Alex small hands Smith?

Even JRuss had correctly proportional hands.

If I was visiting SF in the fall I would try for a game, no doubt.

Also, small hands OP.

Keikaku

I'm from San Jose-NorCal for life!

That said, the Niners are pretty terrible and we've paid a shitton of money for an unproven receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom