• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikaku

Awesome Animals said:
Why remove Blizzard's best map? Well, like you said, I like see Scrap Station, Slag Pits, and Backwater Gulch removed. You would think that they would look at stats like map most vetoed to factor in that decision. Does anyone veto Metalopolis? ZergGAF?

Backwater Gulch is still in.

I never had Metal vetoed and it always seemed like a map where I had a fighting chance, unless I got close spawns. I did have Shattered Temple vetoed after I had a godawful day of 2-rax/reactor hellion TvZs there. It's still a good map though and I'll be taking it off my veto list soon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Removing Metalopolis makes me wants to turn my ass to Blizzard and fart up their face.

Fucking morons.

syllogism

Makes perfect sense to remove it; disabling close spawns is a hacky solution and bad design

Metalopolis has been around for quite a long time, over a year including beta. We felt that taking it out of the rotation would make some room for variety in the map pool.

Metalopolis suffers balance issues when close spawn positions occur, but becomes too predictable when they are simply disabled. Close positions have been under a lot of discussion lately, and we’re definitely examining better options to allow for random spawn positions across the map pool without also creating too much predictability and vulnerability to proxy rushes.

Overall balance has also proven to be an issue on Metalopolis -- even factoring in close position spawn issues. It’s among the least balanced maps currently in the ladder pool, and along with Scrap Station (also being removed) and Tal’darim Altar, has a heavy (60%+) bias toward zerg at the highest levels of play.

If Metalopolis makes a return to the ladder pool in the future, it will likely receive some balance tinkering, much like that administered to Lost Temple which resulted in the creation of Shattered Temple. In the meantime, we hope that you enjoy the fresh maps that have been added to the ladder pool in Season 3.

MrKnives

Dat comeback.

n6npe.jpg
v5cmzc.jpg
2n8ye4w.jpg
28202sz.jpg

htfvy9.jpg
33nzzb6.jpg
29m2338.jpg
ht7bbr.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
replay link? I love watching comebacks.

MrKnives

Pankaks said:
replay link? I love watching comebacks.

http://drop.sc/20956

I wasn't going to post it at first because it really wasn't the best game and I was kinda trying to watch cops at the same time but still. I really didn't think I could win from the disadvantage but he kinda overestimated his lead.
Always fun to win games you really really shouldn't have been able to.

Keikaku said:
Backwater Gulch is still in.

I never had Metal vetoed and it always seemed like a map where I had a fighting chance, unless I got close spawns. I did have Shattered Temple vetoed after I had a godawful day of 2-rax/reactor hellion TvZs there. It's still a good map though and I'll be taking it off my veto list soon.

lol, I guess I just wish it was...lol

MrKnives said:
http://drop.sc/20956

I wasn't going to post it at first because it really wasn't the best game and I was kinda trying to watch cops at the same time but still. I really didn't think I could win from the disadvantage but he kinda overestimated his lead.
Always fun to win games you really really shouldn't have been able to.

Why are you sweating?

I was watching Cops...and playing SCII

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nice comeback ._.

Deadman

Overall balance has also proven to be an issue on Metalopolis -- even factoring in close position spawn issues. It’s among the least balanced maps currently in the ladder pool, and along with Scrap Station (also being removed) and Tal’darim Altar, has a heavy (60%+) bias toward zerg at the highest levels of play.

lol. A quick glance at tlpd for either korean or international will show this is not true. Unless we live in a bizarre world where the ladder represents the highest level of play.

Keikaku

NEOGAF SUMMER INVITATIONAL UPDATE

Final Results from the Ro32
Elcheris vs. Yoshim
Ultrabum vs. Corran Horn
Q8D3vil vs. MisterAnderson
Moemoland vs. Terproerg
Paz vs. Pankaks
Vaporak vs. Ultron87
MescalineEyes vs. Trasher
Chanstaa vs. Aylinato
Striek vs. Zargle
Spl1ter vs. Slavik81 [MATCH NOT PLAYED. Both players are out]
BigAT vs. Hazaro
Wedge7 vs. ShallNoiseUpon
Holden vs. Jasonng
SteveWinwood vs. Twosocks
Xenien vs. Lathentar
Pandaman vs. Vasperknight

Ro16 Matchups
  • Elcheris vs. Ultrabum
  • Devil vs. Moemoland
  • Pankaks vs. Vaporak
  • MescalineEyes vs. Aylinato
  • Striek vs *BYE ROUND*
  • BigAT vs. Wedge7
  • Holden vs. Twosocks
  • Lathentar vs. Pandaman

Miscellaneous Information
  • All matches are Best of 3
  • If you can play during GAF night (Wednesday, starting at 6PM PST) let me know so that I can get the casters and streamer prepped
  • All matches should be played by Sunday this week AT THE LATEST. Again, the last day to submit matches is July 31, 2011 by 11:59PM.
  • If you can't contact your opponent in the next couple of days, PM and let me know.

Good luck to all our competitors!

zlatko

Banned
a176 said:
No way that's 50 million unique viewers, rofl.

LMFAO 50 million? COME ON SON! How many people watch the Super Bowl or World Cup? 50 million is LUDACRIS! I'd say GSL finals cap off at 300K.

BigAT

They're getting rid of Metalopolis tomorrow, seriously? Seems like a really terrible idea and completely unnecessary. If they really think it's unbalanced, just fix the spawn positions like every single major tournament.

The only good note is that two out of my three vetoes are getting taken out of the map pool (Backwater Gulch being the third one). Unfortunately I think I'll probably have to use them on the new maps that are getting added, they all looked pretty bad last time I checked them out.

zlatko said:
LMFAO 50 million? COME ON SON! How many people watch the Super Bowl or World Cup? 50 million is LUDACRIS! I'd say GSL finals cap off at 300K.
Super Bowls are usually around 100 million people.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
this year? 163 million in the states alone.

Keikaku

a176 said:
No way that's 50 million unique viewers, rofl.

zlatko said:

I love how positive news about people watching competitive SC2 comes out and people jump to criticize it without any numbers/data to back it up. Random supposition is cool, amirite?

Unless we can get alternate figures from another reputable source that suggest otherwise, why doubt the numbers that GOM has given out?

a176

Banned
Keikaku said:
I love how positive news about people watching competitive SC2 comes out and people jump to criticize it without any numbers/data to back it up. Random supposition is cool, amirite?

Unless we can get alternate figures from another reputable source that suggest otherwise, why doubt the numbers that GOM has given out?

from link,

Therefore when summing up the number of viewers of the live broadcast and VODs, the number of foreign GSL viewers through GomTV is said to be 40,922,366 [from initial GSL]

Keikaku

a176 said:
from link,

My point was that the article never said it was unique viewers so why the derisive statement? Yeah, it's not unique viewers but the article never stated that it was, so what was your point?

EDIT: The post below me is a prime example. It's cumulative views of the live stream/VODs from 3 GSL Championships, the Super Tournament and the World Championship. Please, please read before posting >.>

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
this year? 163 million in the states alone.

Yeah I figured it was a big number like that. They think they had 1/3d of that in unique viewers? That's insane. Streams cap out at what, 100K? Even 1 million unique viewers would blow my mind, but 50x that is nuts. Simply nuts.

What do you guys think the real number falls in line with ?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Yeah I figured it was a big number like that. They think they had 1/3d of that in unique viewers? That's insane. Streams cap out at what, 100K? Even 1 million unique viewers would blow my mind, but 50x that is nuts. Simply nuts.

What do you guys think the real number falls in line with ?
that is the unique viewer count.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Huh? Are you saying there WAS 50 million different people who viewed the GSL finals?
No. thats not what the article says.

the article says 50million unique viewers for all live events and vods released so far summed together.

Keikaku

Pandaman said:
that is the unique viewer count.

The 2 quotes from the article that I am looking at in particular.

According to ThisIsGame.com, "During the first half of the 2011 Global Starcraft 2 season, the number of foreign viewers are told to be over 50 million." The first half of the Global Starcraft 2 season includes 5 regular seasons (3 GSL Seasons, World Championship, and SuperTournament). 40 million of the views came from GOMtv's foreign website www.gomtv.net. The other 12 million came from China’s NeoTV.

Therefore when summing up the number of viewers of the live broadcast and VODs, the number of foreign GSL viewers through GomTV is said to be 40,922,366 viewers and 12,516,491 viewers through the NeoTV; totaling up to 53,438,857 viewers.

There isn't anything that explicitly states that it's unique views, but maybe I'm being too literal or otherwise missing something here.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Deadman said:
lol. A quick glance at tlpd for either korean or international will show this is not true. Unless we live in a bizarre world where the ladder represents the highest level of play.
Its blizzard. High level play probably means masters league and GM.

jasonng

Just a heads up, for everyone who's changing their alias you will be taken off people's friends list. Jump back on the chatroom so we can add you back.

ultron87

jasonng said:
Just a heads up, for everyone who's changing their alias you will be taken off people's friends list. Jump back on the chatroom so we can add you back.

This seems to not be true at all. Everyone is still on my list

WedgeX

Banned
Corran Horn said:
I dunno about this one but I had to learn how do make circle borders so im posting it anyway
teamgaf3.jpg

teamgafbronze3.jpg

I like where this is headed.

Tntnnbltn said:
Even if they weren't the accepted NeoGAF shirts, we could still buy them. The previews shown are from http://www.spreadshirt.com/, and it is pricing the following designs at $21.90 + shipping...

8XBsE.png

Actual image detail...

JRY8v.png

I love this. But would we run afoul of copyright laws with the race symbols? Otherwise I suggest you template one out for EviLoreGAF and he can wear it to blizzcon (and get mobbed by lurkers).

zlatko

Banned
WedgeX said:
I like where this is headed.

I love this. But would we run afoul of copyright laws with the race symbols? Otherwise I suggest you template one out for EviLoreGAF and he can wear it to blizzcon (and get mobbed by lurkers).

More like he'd get mobbed by people who were banned. xD

mcrae

Deadman said:

thequote said nothing about highest level of play, it said in the ladder

They took out metalopolis? Fucking hell.

Actually i was looking for some advice from protoss players. My friend is trying a new strategy where he goes for warp prism harass but he brings a sentry or 2 to FF the ramp.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has tried something similar? He has had some success using both DT's and just zealots for the drop.

We're just trying to work out what would be the best time to go for something like this and what units would be most effective being warped in.

AdventureRacing said:
They took out metalopolis? Fucking hell.

Actually i was looking for some advice from protoss players. My friend is trying a new strategy where he goes for warp prism harass but he brings a sentry or 2 to FF the ramp.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has tried something similar? He has had some success using both DT's and just zealots for the drop.

We're just trying to work out what would be the best time to go for something like this and what units would be most effective being warped in.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=198296

Something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom