• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

V_Arnold said:
Destiny is... well.
I try to become less and less about who does what, but.

Destiny is a shell, for me. He fights for his right to be incredibly bad manner, and makes a living out of it. It is his decision, good for him. And I give him exactly zero respect. He has yet to prove himself as a serious player, he has yet to win or just go at least top 8 in ANY major tournament - he has carved himself a niche where he can be BM, make bad and sometimes racist jokes, and get away with it.

But he is not a respectable pro player. Or even a respectable amateur. Nope.

He's not racist. He constantly mocks the people who believe he is racist, which is often interpreted as yet more racism. His points in moral arguments are well-reasoned. I will admit his fanbase is more than slightly rabid, and far less rational than he is.

He has pioneered the infestor-centric zerg style which is currently sweeping through the ladders, which says he is influential at the very least.

I get sick of the argument that "he hasn't won or placed well in any major tournaments, so he's not good" - there are HUNDREDS of absolutely fantastic, well-respected players who are also not finishing tournaments in the top.

cdyhybrid

I like Destiny's play and I don't hold his comments/attitude/style against him (because let's be serious here, this is the internet, and in all the interviews of him I've seen he's very reasonable and has good arguments for why he does what he does) but that's just not my cup of tea. I definitely think his playstyle is pretty cool though, if only because it makes other races cry OP.

mcrae

Zen said:
Eh, I think people go to him for how hilarious/charasmatic he is be along with his very sexy zerg play, not because he uses slurs. He could just as easily use regular swears and he probably wouldn't lose any viewers.

i only watch him because hes zerg, and available in 1080p. he comments while playing too, so thats a bonus.

i dont think he is charismatic at all, and cringe half the time when he does his nerdy impressions of characters or whatever they are. weird voices. and hes such a bad sport its embarrassing. having seen a footage of an interview at mlg or something, the guy has the body of a 14 year old boy and some part of me thinks his chinstrap+online demeanor are to counterbalance that.

Tntnnbltn

How to add your name and race to a shirt from spreadshirt

1. Open the 'Create Your Own' t-shirt page

vxIHI.png

2. With the text tool, write in your character name
There are limited fonts. I prefer Eurostile, but you can choose what you'd like

088ir.png

3. Seach for icons of your race under 'Choose a design'
I made the Protoss vector image tonight. It was verified and added to the marketplace within a few hours. Anyone can now use this image on their designs. I'll add the Terran and Zerg shields in a few days

igiHI.png

4. Position and colour the race icon

oH5rr.png

Because the race shield is a separate design, you can customise the overall layout of the shirt, which gives you a lot of flexbility. The following design uses the same elements, just resized and re-arranged onto a different shirt type.

hWQ8K.png

The only thing missing at this stage is the Terran and Zerg shield icons which I have to vectorise and upload, and the GAF League icon which I've submitted to Evilore.

MrKnives

Jeff-DSA said:
I played a couple of matches as Zerg last night. I've been kinda wanting to switch, but I'll wait until Heart of the Swarm to decide for sure. For now I'm just Zerg curious.

In the end, Zerg infests everyone.

lzgamer was Zerg in BW thought so I can understand why he wanted to go back. He was Catz of Terran.

Venfayth

a176 said:
:rolleyes

http://myeg.net/article/article_detail.php?article_id=1159

former member of the teams ROOT and CompLexity, Destiny. Famous for his outspoken attitude and controversial statements, Destiny gained quite a fan following but in recent months has stepped his game up to a significantly higher level, pioneering a new Zergling/Infestor style with a fast Hive followup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVD4Eva6tV4

HDStarcraft: "I am converted now. I don't want to hear any Zerg player ever complain that Protoss can beat a Zerg no matter how many bases a Zerg has, because Destiny has *proven* the power of the infestor. Go with the way of the Jedi man - it never fails."

http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-326-p1-friendday-wednesday-w-destiny-zvp-5396894

:rolleyes

V_Arnold

Chinese Electric Batman said:
You're only respectable in any way if you're a tournament winner?

Nope, but it would not hurt to realize my context. I do not respect him as a player. I do not hate him, hell, I even borrowed his ZVZ style when it was about turtling with roaches, but he is not someone I could cheer for in tournaments, that is it.

It does not mean that I gave a verdict on Destiny, just stated my opinion :p

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Nestea would like to have a word with you.

Quote the whole sentence, please. Nestea wont let anyone mass up infestors, he is smarter than that. Or he masses it himself too, with better positioning and micro.

Venfayth

Corran Horn said:
I dunno if HD is a great source...and Day9 splooges over anything different :p

True, but there's hardly anyone (nobody with any authority) saying that his style isn't capable, which is more my point.

Destiny's a good player but still makes a lot of mistakes; he beat players such as Huk and some upper level Korean players.

I was responding to a childish post and due to that I'm not sure what the basis of his problem with my post was. Perhaps if he had deigned to actually include a point in his post instead of just dismiss mine, I could more accurately defend my statement.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
finally back on my PC... fuck you guys ._.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

a176

Banned
Acullis said:
I was responding to a childish post and due to that I'm not sure what the basis of his problem with my post was. Perhaps if he had deigned to actually include a point in his post instead of just dismiss mine, I could more accurately defend my statement.

Its silly to credit a person for using a unit. Anyone remember Day9's 'stalife drop' episode? Yea, unloading a unit from a dropship, no one's ever done that before. As is using fungal growth!

zlatko

Banned
a176 said:
Its silly to credit a person for using a unit. Anyone remember Day9's 'stalife drop' episode? Yea, unloading a unit from a dropship, no one's ever done that before. As is using fungal growth!

People are crediting him for making a build and entire play based around that one unit. People were dabbling in getting a few infestors here and there, but still going with roaches/hydras with them.

Destiny's build/unit composition is super good, but very micro intensive in order to win games. I don't know any other player right now who is this hard for infestor play in all the match ups as much as he is. Not to mention he is successful with it on his stream a lot.

Hate him all you want, but he definitely is the key person to look to for some mass infestor play and how to get to it safely, and be successful with it.

V_Arnold

zlatko said:
People are crediting him for making a build and entire play based around that one unit. People were dabbling in getting a few infestors here and there, but still going with roaches/hydras with them.

Destiny's build/unit composition is super good, but very micro intensive in order to win games. I don't know any other player right now who is this hard for infestor play in all the match ups as much as he is. Not to mention he is successful with it on his stream a lot.

Hate him all you want, but he definitely is the key person to look to for some mass infestor play and how to get to it safely, and be successful with it.

And this is my "what exactly did he win so far" comes in...

zlatko

Banned
V_Arnold said:
And this is my "what exactly did he win so far" comes in...

I said on his stream. He beat puzzle convincingly last night too. Good enough for me, because he is showing that even in his grand master play (although obviously not tip top play), you can do some great things with mass infestor play. Tell Nestea to adapt and build his own style similar to it, and I bet you'd see some SUPER crazy shit.

zlatko said:
I said on his stream. He beat puzzle convincingly last night too. Good enough for me, because he is showing that even in his grand master play (although obviously not tip top play), you can do some great things with mass infestor play. Tell Nestea to adapt and build his own style similar to it, and I bet you'd see some SUPER crazy shit.

Not to mention the games vs Bomber and Ace in the GeForce ProAm.

a176 said:

Stalife drops are a very specific use of dropping units.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
to be fair, destiny didn't actually invent or popularize infestor/ling. mrbitter was doing infestor/ling with fast ups long before the infestor change ever happened [he taught idra the build], all destiny did was take the change and make the build viable vs protoss instead of just vs terran.

Yoshichan

Corran Horn said:
Hmm feats of strength achievement....fuuuu i should have done better
for what?

Jeff-DSA

ShallNoiseUpon said:
NonY/Tyler complains and makes excuses for almost all of his losses (at least on stream right now). No wonder he isn't very good anymore.

Yeah, I think he's down on the game. He's not keeping up with trends and changes in the meta game and he's blaming Blizzard. It's a bummer, because he'd be a great guy to have as a strong player.

V_Arnold

zlatko said:

Ah, alright. Well, Nestea does not strike me as an innovator. He is more likely a refiner. Just like Idra, but a bit more better. (Cause he..actually practices :D)

Biff

My season 3 placement match was against a Zerg who drone rushes me. On a 4 player map. And guessed wrong :p

A-move my SCVs, get the win and promotion from ~25 Gold to....

plat.jpg

tyrone.gif

zlatko

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
My season 3 placement match was against a Zerg who drone rushes me. On a 4 player map. And guessed wrong :p

A-move my SCVs, get the win and promotion from ~25 Gold to....

plat.jpg

tyrone.gif

I'm curious what was his name? I got matched on my first match against a Z on one of the new 4 player maps, and he fucking 6 pooled with all his drones. I held it no problem thanks to 13 pool, and one Spine in my mineral line with a wall off from the pool, and the queen to help hold. Got out enough lings and he insta left without GG.

Vaporak

Pandaman said:
to be fair, destiny didn't actually invent or popularize infestor/ling. mrbitter was doing infestor/ling with fast ups long before the infestor change ever happened [he taught idra the build], all destiny did was take the change and make the build viable vs protoss instead of just vs terran.

Even before that TLO was doing it back when he played Zerg really early on; There should be some videos of it still around somewhere.

Venfayth

a176 said:

So your problem is with the idea that a person can popularize a style? Doesn't make sense to me in any capacity.

Pandaman said:

He definitely did help to popularize and pioneer the infestor-ling style, which is why I posted the quotes I did before. You even acknowledge that in the last half of your post, I don't know how you can in one hand credit him with expanding the build while trying to deny his influence with the other.

Biff

zlatko said:
I'm curious what was his name? I got matched on my first match against a Z on one of the new 4 player maps, and he fucking 6 pooled with all his drones. I held it no problem thanks to 13 pool, and one Spine in my mineral line with a wall off from the pool, and the queen to help hold. Got out enough lings and he insta left without GG.
ShadowODeath

zlatko

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
ShadowODeath

For a second I thought it was the same guy, but I checked and it was S something else. I don't know why any Zerg would want to cheese considering their options are the absolute worst in that regard.

Edit: Who here thinks ZvZ is their best match up? Care to share the common tactics you use with me or build orders you follow? Seeing as how Blizzard wants me to do it damn near non stop on the ladder I need to get a 70% win rate in it at least, because right now it's at about 20% win rate.

I used to do 14 gas 14 pool every game, but I found if they cheese that my pool is never there in time, so I switched to 13 pool, and get late gas/speed while playing defensively to get my natural up. When natural is up I try to transition into mass roach play, and push when I have a good amount of them. It's usually around here if the game gets this far that shit falls apart. He either has too many roaches waiting, or he has a ton of spines, or he did some random ass Muta play, etc.

I feel super lost in ZvZ. :(

jasonng

Having played all four of the new maps at least once, I can say that I'm definitely not a fan. I already vetoed Abyssal Caverns since you can get close ground positions (just like slag pits). Still debating about Searing Crater just because the natural is so awkward and so advantageous for both terran and protoss. Not to mention the cliffs on the side of each main, must be nice to have cliff jumping units. Antiga Shipyard really makes it fuck hard to take a third depending on spawn locations. If your "safer" third is literally next to their main, you best not to take it. Yet, taking your third on the further base sets you up for some really awkward pathing. It's like blizzard wants me to take my third at the gold. Oh wait, I play zerg.

Nerazim Crypt doesn't suck. I'm going to fucking hate this season.

Elcheris

Neo Member
ZvZ is my best matchup it feels like. 14/14 should be safe from any cheese. if you are losing to 6 pools its because you arent microing it properly. On maps where the natural isnt gigantically wide open (xel'naga) ill always go for a 15 hatch.

For 14/14 openings I pump lings once the pool is up, I do not stop (maybe add in a drone here and there) if the other player is also doing lings. You can afford the expansion around 21 food. Just try to match his ling count if he is doing the same, careful of banelings. When I feel safe ill toss down the roach warren and go back to droning, if I suspect any incoming all-ins ill toss up some spines beforehand (usually you can tell what they are doing based on their drone counts, keep overlords around to scout for that). From there I take gasses, get ups and get to infestors.

Alternativley, if he transitions into roaches too early or doesn't take your lings seriously it is time to go fucking kill him. Underproducing lings means you can just 1a into his base. For roaches I will get an evo chamber and go for +1 melee and do a timing attack, usually this decision is made early on. This is usually enough to stomp them.

The late game is such a shitshow so I won't get into it for now, it sounds like your trouble is early game so just focus on that for now. If games do go on long just be smart about expanding and trying to deny his expansions, thats enough to decide the game.

Hope that helps.

Yoshichan

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Deadman said:
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/OneMoreGame

Inside the game is on, Idra, Incontrol, Painuser, djWheat.

Talking about season 3 maps.

"Blizzard doesnt care about esports, ive given up on them"-- Idra.

Lately, I find myself believing this more and more.

Edit: Incontrol's mic is all kinds of messed up.

"When people watch replays together, drugs win." lol.

Corran Horn said:
Blizzard does their own thing and doesnt recognize the community enough :/

I mean we dont even have clan tags yet, tournament lan, or other simple features

But I would imagine there is a large force of them behind the scenes getting these tournaments going.

I believe I heard Artosis talk about a latency fixer that existed in the beta. Which allowed for low latency play across all the BNET servers.

Was this actually a thing? If so, adding that back in and region switching would be a huge help to e-sports.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

I mean we dont even have clan tags yet, tournament lan, or other simple features

But I would imagine there is a large force of them behind the scenes getting these tournaments going.

Do the masses really care for DND mode or is it just the pros? I understand why they want it but...priorities elsewhere instead of that I could understand.

Yoshichan

We're very early in SC2, give it at least another 8 years. Give or take.

Deadman

Corran Horn said:

Do the masses really care for DND mode or is it just the pros? I understand why they want it but...priorities elsewhere instead of that I could understand.

I imagine most dont care about DND, but i suppose everyone who watches tournaments benefits if it means the spamming of players by idiots (mlg columbus) is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom