• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally playing through the campaign (20 missions finished) and man, the story is dumber than a sack of rocks, but the gameplay is so perfect. In fact its the most engaging RTS campaign I've ever played gameplay wise, and I'm actually going to finish it- I cheated my way through SC1 campaign to see the story and then just played online for thousands of hours.

Despite playing dozens of RTS, I basically never finish the campaign since they tend to be utterly tedious chores. It's nice to see they don't have to suck balls. The achievements are well implemented, the mission design is varied and very clever, the completely modular difficulty is a great idea, and I love the armory unit upgrades and research trees. Divorcing the single player from the multiplayer was a seriously solid design decision.

But goddamned this writing and voice acting is terrible. Like the Star Wars prequels its bad enough to go back and make the first campaign worse too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The company that operates MBCGame has decided to change it into a music cable channel instead, planning to begin the process in August and complete the switch by the end of the year.

All game related activities will be wrapped up by then, with the current MSL becoming the final MBCGame Starcraft League.

GG BW

hamchan

HolyCheck said:
Ok, I'm posting it here so that it has to happen, when I get home from work today, I will play my placement match (FYI I played so little I didn't play season 2 placements)

I Will.

I CAN DO THIS.

I will practice some 4gate games against the computer first though.

Awesome. Join me in my silver league adventures!

Yea, it HAS been nearly a decade just for MSL alone. And it always was the kid brother to OSL.

Still MSL was always a better indicator of the current top dog. "OSL winners are the fated, MSL winners are the dominant" was how the Koreans saw it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Watching GSL Open S1 VODs... O_O

Nestea vs LiveForever

Nestea goes hatch first straight into spire. While the spire is building, LiveForever attacks him with one siege tank and three marines, target firing the natural hatch. The queen kills the three marines, but the hatch dies. Nestea doesn't build a single zergling to prevent this from happening over the course of like two minutes.

My brain, it's melting.

V_Arnold

EviLore said:

Nestea vs LiveForever

Nestea goes hatch first straight into spire. While the spire is building, LiveForever attacks him with one siege tank and three marines, target firing the natural hatch. The queen kills the three marines, but the hatch dies. Nestea doesn't build a single zergling to prevent this from happening over the course of like two minutes.

My brain, it's melting.

Bonjwa!!!!4 (
Well, improvement is improvement : )

MrKnives

EviLore said:

Nestea vs LiveForever

My brain, it's melting.

haha yea the Season one games are hilarious compared to the current ones. Also Nestea was kinda baaad season 1 but even the rest of the games are kinda silly

V_Arnold said:
Wait a second, is 4 not ! shifted in non-hu keyboards? :D Damn, then you might be the only one who realizes the joke :D

as the others said, it's on 1 for most languages. 4 is the dollar sign on mine (DE-AT/US)

MrKnives

FieryBalrog said:
I'm finally playing through the campaign (20 missions finished) and man, the story is dumber than a sack of rocks, but the gameplay is so perfect. In fact its the most engaging RTS campaign I've ever played gameplay wise, and I'm actually going to finish it- I cheated my way through SC1 campaign to see the story and then just played online for thousands of hours.

Despite playing dozens of RTS, I basically never finish the campaign since they tend to be utterly tedious chores. It's nice to see they don't have to suck balls. The achievements are well implemented, the mission design is varied and very clever, the completely modular difficulty is a great idea, and I love the armory unit upgrades and research trees. Divorcing the single player from the multiplayer was a seriously solid design decision.

But goddamned this writing and voice acting is terrible. Like the Star Wars prequels its bad enough to go back and make the first campaign worse too.

I agree. The story is terrible but the missions are rock solid. Enjoyed it a lot.

Have you played the MP already and just going back to the SP? For some reason I always like to finish the SP before I go into MP.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
season 3 just begun

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
and I lose my placement like all other 6 (5 placement season 1, 1 placement season 2)

Fuck this piece of shit game

Back into diamond. Beat a couple protoss lost to a few terran so everything is back to normal :D. Actually i somehow managed to beat 1 terran so maybe the winds of change are blowing.

Had a protoss go double proxy gate (the only master player i faced). This cheese seems pretty terrible and i feel like it would be hard to lose to.

Yoshichan

Ok, I'm NEVER going to play this game immediately when I wake up. My fingers are cold and my wrists are choppy.

Just lost to a zerg who did 13 pool and and baneling bust. I defended it perfectly and after that it was like 12 food against 40.

I immediately pushed, having like 70 food against 25. In the unit tab, it was like 7 banelings, 12 zerglings against 5 marauders and 30 marines. I'm not fucking kidding, I lost that battle. I had no control whatsoever with my marines. Combine the fact that it was a new map + my fingers were doing wtf they wanted, one baneling exploded like 20 of my marines, no fucking joke.

And I'm in masters.

Yeah.

No.

Dooraven

AdventureRacing said:
Back into diamond. Beat a couple protoss lost to a few terran so everything is back to normal :D. Actually i somehow managed to beat 1 terran so maybe the winds of change are blowing.

Had a protoss go double proxy gate (the only master player i faced). This cheese seems pretty terrible and i feel like it would be hard to lose to.

Lol it used to be good when Zealot build time was 33 seconds. But now it's horrible.

MrKnives

AdventureRacing said:

I know I'm only Diamond Zerg scrub that offraces a lot and I don't have any diffuculty beating Terrans.
Last time I played PvT was against some Master player that had close to 700 wins and it wasn't even that hard.
I'm not saying imba imba but there must be something you are doing wrong if you have so much trouble with them.

Then again I can't win a TvP even if my life was depending on it.
Last 7 TvP's have been all against Diamond/Masters and I have won only one and I think he was off racing too. He was masters though so I can be proud about that ^^

As P most of the times I do 3gate expand, expanding while being aggressive. Being aggressive gives me the scouting I need to know if he is doing some cloacked banshee shit.

MrKnives

TheThunder said:
The end of an era

really sad to see this happen

It really is :( I wonder if there is any chance Anibox would pick up bw and make something out of it.
Anibox is the new game channel that also broadcasts SC2. Not even close to MBC size though.

Q8D3vil

MrKnives said:
I know I'm only Diamond Zerg scrub that offraces a lot and I don't have any diffuculty beating Terrans.
Last time I played PvT was against some Master player that had close to 700 wins and it wasn't even that hard.
I'm not saying imba imba but there must be something you are doing wrong if you have so much trouble with them.

Then again I can't win a TvP even if my life was depending on it.
Last 7 TvP's have been all against Diamond/Masters and I have won only one and I think he was off racing too. He was masters though so I can be proud about that ^^

As P most of the times I do 3gate expand, expanding while being aggressive. Being aggressive gives me the scouting I need to know if he is doing some cloacked banshee shit.
i really need a protoss practice parter :D
can you help me out ?

My goal for Season 3 is to get to the Top of the Gold Ladder :)

Which means it is time to start incorporating Ghosts into my play, and improving my scouting!
Plus all the other things I'm bad at ><

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
i really need a protoss practice parter :D
can you help me out ?

Yea of course.
If you can give me some tips on how you are supposed to beat them :D I used to be good in TvP but now for some reason it's freaking hard.

Edit: I'm always up for anything ^^ so if someone wants to play me just msg me.

Jeff-DSA

hamchan said:
Makes me sad when people don't gg after a long game, after they say "glhf" at the start.

Did they not have fun? ;_;

Some people only GG if they're impressed with the other player's play.

For those that are "stuck" in a league even after a good record, there's more to advancement than just win percentage. You also need to keep your bonus pool low for a consistent time. I found that as soon as I burnt up my bonus pool and kept it low for 2-3 days in a row, that's when I'd move up.

Jeff-DSA

Ikuu said:
Pretty sure your bonus pool has nothing to do with promotion.

No, not the exact bonus pool number, but it's an indication of your amount of play within a time period. I was reading that you have to be playing a certain amount over a sustained time to be able to advance, and most people just go by keeping the pool low or zeroed out as an indication if they've been playing enough.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
HolyCheck said:

If we could somehow relate this to the current scene (for those of us who didn't follow BW). Would this be like MLG shutting down thus leaving only GOMTV?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jeff-DSA said:
No, not the exact bonus pool number, but it's an indication of your amount of play within a time period. I was reading that you have to be playing a certain amount over a sustained time to be able to advance, and most people just go by keeping the pool low or zeroed out as an indication if they've been playing enough.
you dont.

you can play 3 games a day or 3 games a month, it wouldn't matter. promotion is just on mmr ranges. if you hit the right range, you're promoted.

Pankaks said:
If we could somehow relate this to the current scene (for those of us who didn't follow BW). Would this be like MLG shutting down thus leaving only GOMTV?

From my understanding of it, it would be like if Showtime shut down, only leaving HBO (for the sake of my analogy ignore the others). HBO is the number #1 but Showtime has always been a respectable #2, that everyone watches as well. I would be sad to see Showtime leave.

/kick me if my analogy is wrong BW people.

Holden

dude, u understand that winning or losing the placement match wont actually determine that if ur gonna get promoted or not. I lost my placement in season 2 and i got promoted to masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom