• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Keikaku said:

That was 6 months ago and he's on a 13 win streak with the BEST opponent from Platinum. It was also before the Infestor buff, before the warp gate research change, and the competition in the higher leagues wasn't as good, which forces better players down.

I'd be shocked if you could do that to get into Diamond. Gold players scout, so he's bound to run into a wall at that point.

Jeff-DSA

So you guys honestly believe that you can just 1A your units all the time and still get into Platinum/Diamond? That's total garbage.

mcrae

jasonng said:
Then we'll make your visit short and sweet
for us. We're going to fucking troll the shit out of you

On another note, another gold leaguer (kem) has been promoted. Gold League GAF is dying.

i turned into platinum after my placement too. now just to get back to diamond, where i was at the beta/season 1 >.<

V_Arnold

Jeff-DSA said:
So you guys honestly believe that you can just 1A your units all the time and still get into Platinum/Diamond? That's total garbage.

I do not think so. That was the case maybe like 6-7 months ago. Definitely not now. No way in hell. Not happening.

Jeff-DSA

Another thing to consider is that if you make a smurf account to try this, you're ALREADY a Diamond or better player playing with Bronzies. That's not the same as someone in Bronze just working hard on macro to move up. So maybe a Diamond player could get into Platinum without much micro (and when he says limited micro, it's still coming from a Diamond standard), but a current Bronze league player won't shoot straight to Platinum without learning a bit of micro play.

Jeff-DSA said:

No, but I meant to say this: Too many SC2 players, including GAFers, who are in gold or below, worry too much about: build order, harass, micro, APM, patches, counters, etc.

Instead they should focus more on three things: making workers, producing units and keeping money low.

What is more, this aspect of game play is very easy to fix: just play the very easy AI and try to get to 200/200 as fast as possible, while keeping money as low as possible.

Just as an exercise, re-conceptualize the game and its goals: your opponent and his attacks are just an obstacle in the way of YOU getting to 200/200. (Of course, this is not the real goal of the game, but it can help in emphasizing macro.)

Jeff-DSA

perryfarrell said:
No, but I meant to say this: Too many SC2 players, including GAFers, who are in gold or below, worry too much about: build order, harass, micro, APM, patches, counters, etc.

Instead they should focus more on three things: making workers, producing units and keeping money low.

What is more, this aspect of game play is very easy to fix: just play the very easy AI and try to get to 200/200 as fast as possible, while keeping money as low as possible.

Just as an exercise, re-conceptualize the game and its goals: your opponent and his attacks are just an obstacle in the way of YOU getting to 200/200. (Of course, this is not the real goal of the game, but it can help in emphasizing macro.)

Now this is solid advice. I completely buy into this line of thinking.

BigAT

perryfarrell said:

This.

I've heard bronze league players talk about working on their worker split at the beginning of a game. It's silly.

clav

BigAT said:
This.

I've heard bronze league players talk about working on their worker split at the beginning of a game. It's silly.
Yeah, and then you ask those players, "Ok what about the worker micro afterwards?"

All of the people I've asked so far respond to me, "What is that?"

Well, if you are concerned about split micro, there is also some micro that goes on afterwards to rearrange the rally worker spawn in order to make sure that each one goes to the appropriate mineral patch efficiently.

Basically, all of that stuff doesn't matter unless you're a high masters/GM.

Jeff-DSA said:

Um...

You guys take this game too seriously. I know I am one of the people you are speaking about, and I agree with you. I do worry about other stuff, but it makes the game more fun. I know that getting better macro is important, and when I ladder, and practice, that is what I worry about. I don't think I sit here and bitch about how to get to diamond; the extent of that has been why I didn't get promoted when I was facing silver and gold league players regularly.

BigAT said:
This.

Man I'm lazy and just send 3 in one direction, 3 in the other and let them sort themselves out.

jasonng

lOAXv.png

I haven't done a Gaf Night post in weeks. Feels weird but it feels good. Tonight's a bit important. As many as you know we hit the anniversary of Starcraft 2 as the game launched this time last summer. That's right, we've been playing for over a year now.

Also, since season 3 has started we can actually do something productive. We can actually get together and discuss strategies and things to look out for in the four new maps (Hint: a lot of bullshit. Fuck you terrans). So for those who are looking to familiarize themselves and know which ones to veto, stay awhile and listen. We can actually be resourceful for each other for once.

One last thing to mention, we need to talk about our sc2 shirt designs. I want to wear my sc2gaf shirt already.

The Weekly NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights
-Wednesdays starting @ 6pm PDT (9pm EST)
-Game types:
<1v1>
<1v1 obs>
<1v1 coaching>
<2v2>
<3v3>
<4v4>
<FFA>
<Custom Maps>
<Nuclear Arcade>
<Mafia>
<Megaton Team Monobattles>
<MorroW's Micro Tournament>

Mumble + Stream
-Corran's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
-Hazard's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vggaming
-Vaultrin's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vaultrin21

MUMBLE INFORMATION:
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739
Backup server: IP = 67.23.187.114 and port = 20198
Download Here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
If there are any Summer Invitational matches tonight, we can obs that too.

WedgeX

Banned
Corran trying Zerg, and I trying to remember to build scvs.

Pre-GAF night practice:

Game 1

Game 2 (with elcheris spectating)

mr stroke

perryfarrell said:
Forget build orders.
Forget scouting.
Forget micro.

I maintain you can get to high gold/low platinum with ONLY macro. In other words, you can win if you make a lotta stuff and then a1 into your opponent.

To train macro, play a bunch of games against the very easy computer. NEVER EVER stop making workers, expand when you can, make sure all your production facilities are ALWAYS cranking out units, keep your money low, take care of upgrades etc. See when you reach 200/200.

Play the very easy computer again. See if you can reach 200/200 faster. See if you can keep your money lower. Play very easy AI again. Focus only on: workers being made, production facilities being active, money being low.

Now play ladder. You'll be out of bronze before you know it.

Shit, never thought of it this way(my money is always way too high mid match). Probably why I am still in bronze after hundreds of games :(

So your strategy here is to just keep pumping out shit until 200/200 then attack?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
mr stroke said:
Shit, never thought of it this way(my money is always way too high mid match). Probably why I am still in bronze after hundreds of games :(

So your strategy here is to just keep pumping out shit until 200/200 then attack?

Pretty much all you need to do to get into Plat is:

1. Scout cheeses and react appropriately.
2. Make sure your opponent doesn't take ninja expansions.
3. Macro half decently and wait for the eventual attack from your enemy.

3a. Are you constantly making probes.? WHY NOT!?
3b. Seriously, queue that shit up if you have to, just make sure you're always making workers.

4. Crush his attack, either expand or go kill him.

Welcome to Plat.

Honestly, you don't even really need to do number 2. Just make more units than the other guy.

twofold

Jeff-DSA said:

I got into Diamond on Korea as Terran doing Trumps 3 rax build. I'd pressure at around 50~ food once stim finishes while expanding behind it and dropping more production facilities/eng bays. I'd throw up my third when I hit about 60~ workers. I wouldn't drop, harass or do anything but make sure my minerals/gas were below 500 and I'd 1A once I got to 200/200.

My composition was nearly always marine/marauder/medivac with Vikings against Colossus -- against Zerg, I just went MMM adding Vikings if they went Brood Lords.

Seriously, below Masters, all you need to do is build more shit than the other guy to win.

Won't be able to make it to GAF night have to head to work. Hopefully i can make it next week.

Keikaku said:
Our sponsors have a strict "Do whatever you like" policy. Go balls out on the drinks man :p

Maybe we should get the word out to fruitdealer, sounds like this is the team for him.

MrKnives said:
I know I'm only Diamond Zerg scrub that offraces a lot and I don't have any diffuculty beating Terrans.
Last time I played PvT was against some Master player that had close to 700 wins and it wasn't even that hard.
I'm not saying imba imba but there must be something you are doing wrong if you have so much trouble with them.

I wasn't trying to imply anything different. I know it's 100% my fault, my problem is i don't learn enough from my losses against terran and keep making the same mistakes. My ladder record is so weird, i literally win every single game against protoss (ok i've lost 1 ever on NA ladder) and i basically never beat terran.

I'm playing a bit more now so hopefully i can improve that matchup.

zlatko

Banned
Totally woulda hopped on Gaf night tonight, but I just got a Battlefield 3 alpha test code.

8============D So hard and excited right now.

NASL 2

Who's Qualified: 14 players

PuMa -- winner NASL Open Tournament
aLive -- 2nd NASL Open Tournament
Clide -- semi final NASL Open Tournament
Revival -- semi final NASL Open Tournament
LoWeLy -- top 8 NASL Open Tournament
NightEnD -- top 8 NASL Open Tournament
Rain -- top 8 NASL Open Tournament

sC -- winner NASL S2 Qualifier
TOP -- 2nd NASL S2 Qualifier
Hero -- semi final NASL S2 Qualifier
MarineKing -- semi final NASL S2 Qualifier
Moonan -- top 8 NASL S2 Qualifier
Check -- top 8 NASL S2 Qualifier
Polt -- top 8 NASL S2 Qualifier

Who's Returning: 31
Moon -- top 8 NASL S1
Sheth -- top 16 NASL S1
MorroW -- top 16 NASL S1
KiWiKaKi -- playoffs NASL S1
Fenix -- playoffs NASL S1
TLO -- playoffs NASL S1
July -- 4th NASL S1
White-Ra -- top1 6 NASL S1
SjoW -- playoffs NASL S1
TT1 -- playoffs NASL S1
DarkForcE -- top 8 NASL S1
MoMaN -- playoffs NASL S1
CrunCher -- playoffs NASL S1
iNcontroL -- NASL S1
Strelok -- NASL S1
Squirtle -- top 8 NASL S1
Axslav -- playoffs NASL S1
dde -- playoffs NASL S1
mOOnGLaDe -- NASL S1
Ret -- top 16 NASL S1
SeleCT -- top 8 NASL S1
Ace -- playoffs NASL S1
MC -- 2nd NASL S1
HasuObs -- top 16 NASL S1
BRAT_OK -- playoffs NASL S1
Sen -- 3rd NASL S1
Zenio -- top 16 NASL S1
IdrA -- playoffs NASL S1
MaNa -- playoffs NASL S1
Socke -- playoffs NASL S1
Ensnare -- NASL S1

Who Decided not to Return:
Stalife -- work
Naniwa -- personal reasons
ThorZaiN -- going to Korea
Boxer -- declined to comment
NaDa -- personal reasons

Failed to Qualify:
ViBe
Rainbow
Grubby
Artosis
qxc
KawaiiRice
HayprO
SLush
CatZ
Machine
GoOdy
Drewbie
PainUser
ClouD
Tyler

hamchan

Who Decided not to Return:
Naniwa -- personal reasons
ThorZaiN -- going to Korea
Boxer -- declined to comment
NaDa -- personal reasons

Naniwa got screwed over by Xeris last season so I don't blame him for not wanting to participate in this crappy long league.

Sad about Boxer and Nada. Hopefully Boxer is out just resting his shoulder or concentrating on Slayers, not because he's discouraged.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
hamchan said:
Naniwa got screwed over by Xeris last season so I don't blame him for not wanting to participate in this crappy long league.

Sad about Boxer and Nada. Hopefully Boxer is out just resting his shoulder or concentrating on Slayers, not because he's discouraged.
Probably because waking up in the morning sucks. lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Haha, I just about to post that.

I didn't know you used Reddit Yoshi ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom