• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wat... i beat like 20 masters with maybe 2 losses when ladder was locked, thinking if I win placement ill definitely rank up. lost placement against a scrub MAster toss and got placed diamond...

Holden

Yoshichan said:
wat... i beat like 20 masters with maybe 2 losses when ladder was locked, thinking if I win placement ill definitely rank up. lost placement against a scrub MAster toss and got placed diamond...

i guess the scrub master protoss is better then u :)

many ppl have been promoted even after losing their placement, im like 90% that the placement match is same as a normal game But the fact that you have 0 games Makes it easier to get promoted. If you're between 0-20 games, it is alot easier to get promoted then having 500+

Jeff-DSA

Hugoboss21 said:
dude, u understand that winning or losing the placement match wont actually determine that if ur gonna get promoted or not. I lost my placement in season 2 and i got promoted to masters.

From what I understand it's just "one more match," right? All the matches you play during the lock have just as much bearing on the situation. If the placement match mattered that much, people could intentionally tank it so that they could feast on a lower league for a while.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hugoboss21 said:
i guess the scrub master protoss is better then u :)
not really. unlike him, i have issues playing first games in sc2. i get shivers, i get cold and very stiff and i cant play at all. I scouted his 4gate and bunkerdd it up but still managed to lose cuz i had no army control when i went down the ramp (and my army got split in two). so no, ive defended hundreds of 4gated with ez and his timings and control was bad.

Yoshichan said:
not really. unlike him, i have issues playing first games in sc2. i get shivers, i get cold and very stiff and i cant play at all. I scouted his 4gate and bunkerdd it up but still managed to lose cuz i had no army control.when i went down the ramp (and my army got split in two). so no, ive defended hundreds of 4gated with ez and his timings and control was bad.

Whatever scrub.

Q8D3vil

Yoshichan said:
not really. unlike him, i have issues playing first games in sc2. i get shivers, i get cold and very stiff and i cant play at all. I scouted his 4gate and bunkerdd it up but still managed to lose cuz i had no army control when i went down the ramp (and my army got split in two). so no, ive defended hundreds of 4gated with ez and his timings and control was bad.
do it my way, marine tank banshee all in and flip a coin while doing it.

Yoshichan

Chinese Electric Batman said:
Whatever scrub.
hmm im actually pretty sure i played you before? you in EU? i remember seeing your name somewhere.

MrKnives

Pankaks said:
If we could somehow relate this to the current scene (for those of us who didn't follow BW). Would this be like MLG shutting down thus leaving only GOMTV?

It's hard to transfer to SC2. BW pretty much only had MSL, OSL and Proleague. OGN and MBC is the two tv channels that even show BW.
This is much much worse than MLG shutting down because SC2 has so much going for it. BW only has those two, nothing else is streamed or broadcasted.
This is pretty much like if in SC2 there wouldnt be any streams and only MLG did something once in a while.
For the situation it is now for BW this is almost a deathblow.

UPDATE:

Fomos reports that MBCGame director Jang Jae Hyuk is refuting the TIG story, saying that "nothing has been determined yet" and "there are internal discussions." TIG had broken the story on MBCGame's switch to a music channel, on the heels of a flurry of ominous twitter messages between MBCGame employees.

Transcript of Twitter conversations between MBCGame employees:

Kim Cheol Min (announcer): "This summer, a huge conspiracy awaits!" it would be great if this were just some tagline following a move, but it's happening for real..
Yooi (announcer): What is it hyung? What? What is it?
KCM: I think you know already. Go play some soccer, like you always did.
Yooi: It's the end then T_T
KCM: Yeah.

Lee Seung Won (announcer): But I had hoped...
MBCGame staffer #1: It's confirmed?
LSW: Yes, such awesome news to hear this morning.
MBCGame staffer #2: So it's true. One of the things that made me happy is going to disappear T_T. But I'll cheer it on till the end.
MBCGame staffer #1: We're screwed, sigh...

LSW: Should I just get drunk and throw myself in Gang Nam Station?
MBCGame staffer #3: Can I go with you?
MBCGame staffer #4: If there's room, I'll go too.

Source: http://www.fomos.kr/board/board.php?mode=read&keyno=119604&db=issue&cate=&page=1&field=&kwrd=

Does my performance during the ladder freeze have anything to do with my next placement? I was beating Masters and high Diamond as Terran but I'm still not all that comfortable with them.

Just wondering if I lose, if I have a chance of going back to Diamond like I was before I tanked down to gold as I hate gold now that I'm not so rusty. If it doesn't I'm wondering if I should play my placement match as Zerg, just to have a better shot at winning it.

Hmm, reading above it looks like it does. Might as well just play it as Terran since I was winning 80% of the time during the freeze.

BigAT

Horsemama1956 said:
Does my performance during the ladder freeze have anything to do with my next placement? I was beating Masters and high Diamond as Terran but I'm still not all that comfortable with them.

Just wondering if I lose, if I have a chance of going back to Diamond like I was before I tanked down to gold as I hate gold now that I'm not so rusty. If it doesn't I'm wondering if I should play my placement match as Zerg, just to have a better shot at winning it.

Hmm, reading above it looks like it does. Might as well just play it as Terran since I was winning 80% of the time during the freeze.
Yes, your play during ladder freezes affects your placement in the exact same way your play does the rest of the ladder season. I don't know why Blizzard even does it, it is misleading and purposeless.

I wouldn't give too much care to your placement match, little to nothing can really be determined from a single match in the system. I suspect it likely places you in the same league win or lose and the placement match only exists to eliminate completely idle players from the various divisions.

a176

Banned
Pankaks said:
If we could somehow relate this to the current scene (for those of us who didn't follow BW). Would this be like MLG shutting down thus leaving only GOMTV?

Pretty much. The thing is, MBC provided that one extra Starleague, and eased the strain on the OGN team from having to broadcast so many games in a week. If MBC does leave BW and other esport titles they carry, it will be a huge blow to esports in Korea. You can't really compare further as SC2 has a plethora of other entities around the world to provide tournaments and games.

MrKnives

Horsemama1956 said:

Playing while the lock is on does affect MMR. The placement really doesn't. It's just to weed out the inactive players. There is alot of people who has been demoted after winning and promoted after losing.
Don't worry about the placement match.

Jeff-DSA

Last night I used a tactic that apparently has been deemed to be homosexual. My opponent was setting up a hard contain with siege tanks on me, but I had the superior Viking count. After taking out his air, I dropped a few Marines to make his tanks fire on themselves to get rid of the two forward tanks. It allowed me down my ramp to siege my own tanks, and then I got a Banshee out. Once the Banshee began to fire and he unsieged, I stimmed in my Marines and Marauders.

I was later informed that dropping Marines out of a Medivac onto a siege line is definitely homosexual of me to do.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
claviertekky said:
Just watched it.

Cool although the game didn't need to be 32 minutes long.

:lol
Ill tend to do that in games. I knew I had him on 2 bases so I just chilled. Chargelots dont work so well in closed off areas. Thats why when I killed his army I moved out into middle before engaging.

Karl2177

Jeff-DSA said:
Last night I used a tactic that apparently has been deemed to be homosexual. My opponent was setting up a hard contain with siege tanks on me, but I had the superior Viking count. After taking out his air, I dropped a few Marines to make his tanks fire on themselves to get rid of the two forward tanks. It allowed me down my ramp to siege my own tanks, and then I got a Banshee out. Once the Banshee began to fire and he unsieged, I stimmed in my Marines and Marauders.

I was later informed that dropping Marines out of a Medivac onto a siege line is definitely homosexual of me to do.
Personally, I prefer to drop a Mule on them. In 2s, I used to have my friend scan the mineral line, then I would drop a Mule. 3 dead SCVs later, I would get great messages on the in-game chat. We also used that strat to take out Siege lines like you did.

Jeff-DSA

Karl2177 said:
Personally, I prefer to drop a Mule on them. In 2s, I used to have my friend scan the mineral line, then I would drop a Mule. 3 dead SCVs later, I would get great messages on the in-game chat. We also used that strat to take out Siege lines like you did.

I sometimes drop Mules too, but I was wanting to free up some supply anyway.

Sounds like a big blow to BW, if true. That plus the player contracts ending in August could mean SC2 finally gets a second wind. The country will definitely need another tournament though. If you aren't in code S GSL, you doing anything but practicing.

Blizz also needs to fix the damn latency issues, which would open up the rest of the world to Korea for relatively lag free online play/tournaments.

Bronze league again after winning a fairly hard placement match, after I was #1 in Bronze for the past 2 months. This sucks ass. I don't learn anything from these morons.

jersoc

hamchan said:
Makes me sad when people don't gg after a long game, after they say "glhf" at the start.

Did they not have fun? ;_;

the worse is people who ctrl alt del their SC2 and I have to sit at that fucking screen for a minute. This happened to me all day sunday and various other times. fuck those people. don't be a sore loser because you turtled all game. It sure was fun taking 6 bases and building up a 200 army :|

Visualante said:
Bronze league again after winning a fairly hard placement match, after I was #1 in Bronze for the past 2 months. This sucks ass. I don't learn anything from these morons.

silver is no better either. at least we learn to hold cheese, right?!

Visualante said:

If you are on NA, feel free to msg me and we can spar.

Visualante said:
Bronze league again after winning a fairly hard placement match, after I was #1 in Bronze for the past 2 months.

Forget build orders.
Forget scouting.
Forget micro.

I maintain you can get to high gold/low platinum with ONLY macro. In other words, you can win if you make a lotta stuff and then a1 into your opponent.

To train macro, play a bunch of games against the very easy computer. NEVER EVER stop making workers, expand when you can, make sure all your production facilities are ALWAYS cranking out units, keep your money low, take care of upgrades etc. See when you reach 200/200.

Play the very easy computer again. See if you can reach 200/200 faster. See if you can keep your money lower. Play very easy AI again. Focus only on: workers being made, production facilities being active, money being low.

Now play ladder. You'll be out of bronze before you know it.

perryfarrell said:
Forget build orders.
Forget scouting.
Forget micro.

I maintain you can get to high gold/low platinum with ONLY macro. In other words, you can win if you make a lotta stuff and then a1 into your opponent.

To train macro, play a bunch of games against the very easy computer. NEVER EVER stop making workers, expand when you can, make sure all your production facilities are ALWAYS cranking out units, keep your money low, take care of upgrades etc. See when you reach 200/200.

Play the very easy computer again. See if you can reach 200/200 faster. See if you can keep your money lower. Play very easy AI again. Focus only on: workers being made, production facilities being active, money being low.

I would say that focusing on one build order while doing this would be beneficial. But what do I know, I'm just an amazing silver leaguer :)

Animals, you will reach gold in no time if you focus on macro more. Forget build orders from GSL, forget countering army compositions, forget micro-ing banshees, etc.

Just get a starting build order you're comfortable with, then focus on: Am I making workers at all times? Chances are, you're not. Are my production facilities always crankin out stuff? Prolly not. Is my money low? If not, spend it!

Yoshichan

Awesome Animals said:
I would say that focusing on one build order while doing this would be beneficial. But what do I know, I'm just an awesome silver leaguer :)
fixed <3

clav

perryfarrell said:
Animals, you will reach gold in no time if you focus on macro more. Forget build orders from GSL, forget countering army compositions, forget micro-ing banshees, etc.

Just get a starting build order you're comfortable with, then focus on: Am I making workers at all times? Chances are, you're not. Are my production facilities always crankin out stuff? Prolly not. Is my money low? If not, spend it!
Yep.

You can get into plat just focusing this core fundamental strat just by macroing well.

Micro while beneficial can be worked on later.

jersoc

Awesome Animals said:
I would say that focusing on one build order while doing this would be beneficial. But what do I know, I'm just an amazing silver leaguer :)

Yup, I do 14 gas 14 pool every single game. Sometimes 11 pool against zerg in 1v1 maps. which is only one map now :|

but yeah, macro is helping. i still have a bit of trouble, but getting a lot better. I rarely get supplied block now. I feel I'm just a bit too passive, but I'm starting to get more aggressive in the early game to deny expansions. Once I get 2 bases fully saturated I start having trouble keeping up on having low minerals though. Even upgrading and everything. I always forget to macro hatch too, probably part of the problem.

MrKnives said:
Playing while the lock is on does affect MMR. The placement really doesn't. It's just to weed out the inactive players. There is alot of people who has been demoted after winning and promoted after losing.
Don't worry about the placement match.
Ah ok. My emps didn't go off and lost my match. Got placed in Plat, but hopefully I can get out of it quickly.

Yoshichan

Deadman said:
Lost to silly one base terran, still in gold :(
What did you do? What did he do?

Jeff-DSA

claviertekky said:
Yep.

You can get into plat just focusing this core fundamental strat just by macroing well.

Micro while beneficial can be worked on later.

You can't get into Platinum without micro.

WedgeX

Banned
perryfarrell said:

Sadly this is me for about 60% of matches. If not more. I know why I am in gold :)

Deadman

Yoshichan said:
What did you do? What did he do?

I did a 3 gate expand and was doing standard gateway units when his first mmm came, which i crushed. He somehow had enough to remake a decent sized army + a thor which he dropped in between buildings/behind my nexus, so it was barely being touched as by then i was moving to chargelot archon. Think i was 25 supply ahead before the battle, 25 behind after.

perryfarrell said:
Forget build orders.
Forget scouting.
Forget micro.

That's all I do. I don't know how to micro anything.. and when it comes to macro I usually destroy. I've never used a build order, I just make it up as I go along, I do scout sometimes, especially for zerg. And yeah I never stop making workers, I always expand when I attack, I'm always on top of my upgrades. The only thing I tend to hold back on is barracks somtimes.

Getting out of bronze just isn't easy for me.. I'm wondering if there is some other category like APM which contributes to rank because I'm notoriously a low APM player.

Jeff-DSA

Visualante said:
That's all I do. I don't know how to micro anything.. and when it comes to macro I usually destroy. I've never used a build order, I just make it up as I go along, I do scout sometimes, especially for zerg. And yeah I never stop making workers, I always expand when I attack, I'm always on top of my upgrades. The only thing I tend to hold back on is barracks somtimes.

What race are you playing?

Jeff-DSA said:
You can't get into Platinum without micro.

You can with the most basic of macro. Stuff like not engaging in bad angles or small corridors against tank/colo/infestor and not move commanding your entire army at them. I got into platinum easily by just having good macro and defending until I came out ahead and 1aing into the opponent's base while not even looking at the engagement and focusing on macroing during battle, which no one sub-plat even does, so you are at a huge advantage if you do.

Yoshichan

ShallNoiseUpon said:
move commanding your entire army at them.
I did this today on my placement match. 70 food (me) vs 25 food zerg.

Banelings.

Boom.

gg.

Master play, hell yeah, let's go

Yoshichan said:
I did this today on my placement match. 70 food (me) vs 25 food zerg.

Banelings.

Boom.

gg.

Master play, hell yeah, let's go

I move commanded a 200 food Zerg army into a 160 food Protoss army by the choke on Xel'naga Caverns. I didn't kill a single unit even after I noticed. Worst feeling ever.

Yoshichan

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I move commanded a 200 food Zerg army into a 160 food Protoss army by the choke on Xel'naga Caverns. I didn't kill a single unit even after I noticed. Worst feeling ever.
:(

Jeff-DSA

Visualante said:

Marines are awesome at dealing damage, but are also fairly fragile. You really need to do some sort of micro in engagements. Also, be mindful of where you engage. You never, EVER, want to engage in a tight area like on a ramp or in the choke near a base entrance as area of effect attacks (storms, fungals, sieges, colossus, etc.) will tear them up.

Make sure to use scans at times to scout. Mules are great, but you won't win if you don't know what your opponent is doing. It's easy to sit back and forget to see what's going on out there and just hope that your bio ball and siege tanks can win the day. If your opponent is teching to something specific, you have to know how to react.

Try to get that second expansion as soon as it's safe to do so. Falling behind economically is the best way to lose. A strong economy will offset your weak micro since you can just reload armies faster.

You can with the most basic of macro. Stuff like not engaging in bad angles or small corridors against tank/colo/infestor and not move commanding your entire army at them. I got into platinum easily by just having good macro and defending until I came out ahead and 1aing into the opponent's base while not even looking at the engagement and focusing on macroing during battle, which no one sub-plat even does, so you are at a huge advantage if you do.

This might be true for Zerg, but it's no way truthful for Terrans and probably not Protoss either. It's just too hard to re-max your army after a bad engagement. Even then, I think the quality of play in Gold is just higher than it was a few months ago and you have people that are actually macroing up as they battle.

BigAT

Visualante said:

Getting out of bronze just isn't easy for me.. I'm wondering if there is some other category like APM which contributes to rank because I'm notoriously a low APM player.
Nothing contributes to rank besides wins and losses. What are you doing wrong that is causing you to lose games to bronze/low silver players still?

If I had to toss out a guess, I would wager that you're not scouting enough. Bronze players do some wacky, nonsensical shit that can be hard to prepare for at times if you have no clue it's coming, since it goes against logic so badly. If you're even mediocre at scouting though, you can prepare and crush it easily and you'll be out of bronze in no time.

Yoshichan said:
Play against the AI to warm up. I know what you mean.

Yoshichan

FieryBalrog said:
Play against the AI to warm up. I know what you mean.
Yep... I should've done that. I was in a hurry though and I was hyping season 3 :( Really my bad.

jasonng

Jeff-DSA said:
I have limited time, but I think I'm probably in for GAF night. Should be fun to finally make my debut.
Then we'll make your visit short and sweet
for us. We're going to fucking troll the shit out of you

On another note, another gold leaguer (kem) has been promoted. Gold League GAF is dying.

zargle

jasonng said:
Then we'll make your visit short and sweet
for us. We're going to fucking troll the shit out of you

On another note, another gold leaguer (kem) has been promoted. Gold League GAF is dying.

Don't worry. Forever gold. I dont believe in non-olympic style rankings.

perryfarrell said:

Well, that was the point I was trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom