• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

I'd like to get some peoples input; a friend of mine was telling me that he has tons of issues with latency on battle.net and I've never had any.

Has anyone here ever had problems with latency/network lag on sc2?

To clarify I mean delay when sending commands to your units, not video choppiness or fps problems.

a176

Banned
Acullis said:
I'd like to get some peoples input; a friend of mine was telling me that he has tons of issues with latency on battle.net and I've never had any.

Has anyone here ever had problems with latency/network lag on sc2?

To clarify I mean delay when sending commands to your units, not video choppiness or fps problems.

ive been getting bad lag for the past week as well

I think I need someone observing a practice game, I have hit a wall and can't do shit.

I think I'm going to put a post-it on my wall that says:

• SCVs
  • Depots
  • Production
  • Upgrades
  • Expand

So I can ensure that I am always doing something with my minerals. I just lost to the collosus death ball and he had 3/3 for all his units. I was on 1/0 :( My unit comp was good, but I was so behind on upgrades, and I was floating like 2k

jasonng

Start messing around with things you normally dont do. Maybe put your engie bay and armory in hotkey? Build them near a CC or your army so it's within your vision? I'm willing to say that you don't discover your "style" of play until diamond or plat at the very earliest. At this point it's about trying different things that may or may not help you. Not everything you do will be implemented in your gameplay. Discovery before refinement.

clav

Awesome Animals said:
I think I need someone observing a practice game, I have hit a wall and can't do shit.

I think I'm going to put a post-it on my wall that says:

• SCVs
  • Depots
  • Production
  • Upgrades
  • Expand

So I can ensure that I am always doing something with my minerals. I just lost to the collosus death ball and he had 3/3 for all his units. I was on 1/0 :( My unit comp was good, but I was so behind on upgrades, and I was floating like 2k
Protoss in some ways is kind of like Zerg.

You don't want to let Protoss to reach 200/200 and start wrecking havoc like a scene from the movie War of the Worlds. It's easy to do that if you let Protoss untouched the whole game. I'm going to guess that happened because 3-3 Protoss takes a long time to achieve.

Can you post a replay for us to see?

BigAT

After 20 food or so, dedicate a single SCV to building depots. Whenever it goes idle, F1 and start up a new depot. You should never really get supply blocked with this method. If you should happen to get into the late game, make it 2 SCVs dedicated to it.

claviertekky said:
Protoss in some ways is kind of like Zerg.

You don't want to let Protoss to reach 200/200 and start wrecking havoc like a scene from the movie War of the Worlds. It's easy to do that if you let Protoss untouched the whole game. I'm going to guess that happened because 3-3 Protoss takes a long time to achieve.

Can you post a replay for us to see?

Yea, I didn't put any pressure at all in the game. It's frustrating because I know what I need to do but don't do them.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone have issues with alt-tab at times? I try to switch windows and nothing happens. Get stuck on sc2 window but I do see that alt tab menu thing. :/

Vaporak

Corran Horn said:
Anyone have issues with alt-tab at times? I try to switch windows and nothing happens. Get stuck on sc2 window but I do see that alt tab menu thing. :/

I don't, but I have it set to windowed (fullscreen) mode.

clav

Awesome Animals said:
Yea, I didn't put any pressure at all in the game. It's frustrating because I know what I need to do but don't do them.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/repimgs/repimg-33-223913.jpg

After watching the game several times, I feel your core fundamentals are not there.

I see that when you're involved in micro, you forget to macro and let your minerals/gas pile up.

Forget about micro for now as fun as it is as you need to work on your SimCity.

Understand these two basics.

1. SCVs and Supply Depots

Make it a habit to 5s (5ss on two base, 5sss on three base) every 17 game seconds. In fact, play games that you are constantly aware making SCVs. Do not queue more than 2, but constantly keep them in production.

Keep on top of your supplies. Once you are on two base, you should be making them at least in pairs. What I like to do is if I'm on one base and see that the right digit supply is at 5, I plant a supply down. Later in the game, I start putting supplies in pairs and in triples/quads later.

To give you a greater insight on this, a Zerg player at the beginning of the game makes one OV at a time, but pretty soon as more hatcheries are planted, zerg players start making ovs 2, 3, or even 4 at a time.

2. Scales of Economy

If you kept up on your SCV production and supply depots, then you can make more unit production facilities depending on the number of CCs. When your first expo kicks in, you are allowed to make more unit production facilities.

Generally, I make 2-3 more basic production facilities for each CC I have if I'm focusing more on that core unit play.

Make units out of these facilities. The simpler the mixture of your army is, the more units you will have.

----------------------------------

If you can master the above and learn to make a big ass army with lots of miners, then you can work on strategy.

3. Focus on one game plan build for matchups.

This is what I would do if I were to play Terran

TvP: Barracks units: Marine, Marauder, Medivacs, Vikings (if colossus), Ghosts.
TvZ: Marine, Medivac, Tank, Thor | or all mech
TvT: Marines, Hellions, Tanks, Vikings, Medivacs or make your own since I don't TvT.

4. Medivac usage.

Terran is rather immobile until the Medivac stage, and that's a Protoss nightmare as Protoss players hate splitting up their army.

Once the first medivac appears, be aggressive with it.

When going for drop play, either drop on miners, or focus on tech like forge, robo, robo bay, twilight council, or pylons powering gateways. You only need one medivac to start wrecking havoc in a person's base.

Most importantly, don't have the drop play be the focus of your attack. Terran is surprisingly powerful in small/medium numbers split. You can load up a dropship with 3 marines and it'll do quite a lot with a main army distraction attacking a front.

5. Scouting and Expansion Timings.

It's great that you scout with the SCV on 11. You still need to continue scouting to figure out when your opponent expands. Use a scan if you need to do so.

Against a Terran, Protoss can expand around 3:50 (20 Nexus) or around 6:00 (3 gate expo).

For a third, a Protoss usually takes one between the 10:00 and 15:00 mark depending what happens in the game.

If you can deny expansions in this game, you can win.

What I like to do with a worker is to keep one behind a mineral line where an expo would be placed. Many people do not check back there before planting an expansion.

6. Third Expo's purpose

Most of the time the third expo is made mainly for gas. I see all you wanted was mins that game.

7. Practice, practice, practice.

Play more. For each replay, I want you to make a list of three things.

1. What went wrong? (Stopped making SCVs, supply blocked)
2. Why did it go wrong? (I was distracted with army micro or focusing on my drop)
3. What improvement or change can I make? (Focus on making supply depots at every 5 digit supply mark)

Do not focus on the major game ending attack when making this list.

Focus on one thing to improve for each game you play.

If you follow this, you will be a better player.

Where do I start to improve myself?

Play some games focusing on making SCVs and supply depots and do not care if you lose. If you kept on top of your scvs and supplies and beat your opponent in miner count by a significant number (i.e. 10 more workers), you at least have a basic mastered.

Once you can macro, then add micro to the mix.

As long as you have more units, you will win games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
zlatko said:
A guy on the site I work with managed to get his SC2 article up on the MLG facebook, and got a ton of hits. SC2 community giving some love even to small sites like ours is awesome! :D

http://wiredcontroller.com/exclusive/how-to-watch-starcraft-and-why-should-you-care-the-basics

He just did it as sort of a fun article, and it did some good hits wooh! :( Just wish our damn editors wouldn't keep quitting on us.

not to be a dick, i'm going to read the entire article.. but even in just the first 2 paragraphs the writing is confusing..... "Starcraft traces its roots back in 1998"

zlatko

Banned
HolyCheck said:
not to be a dick, i'm going to read the entire article.. but even in just the first 2 paragraphs the writing is confusing..... "Starcraft traces its roots back in 1998"

Yeah, that's the issue with the site not having an editor. :/ It's one of the reasons I don't read the other guys' articles myself to be quite honest. Feel free to rip it up to shit as it's not my work lol. :p

I offered to be editor for like a week, and some of the people we had on then had some of the most fuck awful writing of all time. "The graphics are nice." <----- WTF do I do with a sentence like this?

My writing isn't Jesus' second coming by any means, and it definitely needs an editor to go through it, but I try and some other guys on the site I can't say they put in the same level of effort.

Like here's some recent shit I did:

http://wiredcontroller.com/reviews/bastion-review/2

Still it's nice that MLG picked it up even though it is pretty bleh. :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How would someone forget about me? I'm online on EU Bnet 18 hours a day.

Madrical

Banned
Played a 2v2 against very hard AI with a mate, first time I've played AI in ages. Do very hard AI cheat or something? They pumped out SO many immortals from only 2 robos, it was crazy (it was PT vs PP). Their first attack was just a bunch of zealots with 2 colossus which nearly crippled us but after coming back from that I went blink stalkers, then later got involved in a battle with about 5 immortals, barely in mid-game. After seeing that I went mass zealots on 3 bases + 8 warpgates, using spare gas to make archons. actually worked a treat, ended up getting a pylon down in mid and just reinforcing a massive zealot/archon army 8 zealots a time who were 3/2/2 by the end.

But yeah, they seemed to get 2x collosi really fast, and had a tonne of immortals from only 2 robos. Is very hard just a hard AI or do they have an unfair advantage?

BigAT

Madrical said:
Played a 2v2 against very hard AI with a mate, first time I've played AI in ages. Do very hard AI cheat or something? They pumped out SO many immortals from only 2 robos, it was crazy (it was PT vs PP). Their first attack was just a bunch of zealots with 2 colossus which nearly crippled us but after coming back from that I went blink stalkers, then later got involved in a battle with about 5 immortals, barely in mid-game. After seeing that I went mass zealots on 3 bases + 8 warpgates, using spare gas to make archons. actually worked a treat, ended up getting a pylon down in mid and just reinforcing a massive zealot/archon army 8 zealots a time who were 3/2/2 by the end.

But yeah, they seemed to get 2x collosi really fast, and had a tonne of immortals from only 2 robos. Is very hard just a hard AI or do they have an unfair advantage?
I forget the names of the AI as I never play against them, but on whichever is the hardest setting (insane?) the AI actually does cheat. I think they get 8 minerals per patch instead of 5 or something like that.

jasonng

Nope, no backdoor. Only thing different about mlg Shakuras is the depot on the bottom of the ramp.

On my progress on ladder, I'm finding very little difference between my opponents in gold and plat. Only major difference is there are less dumb absurd allins in plat than there was in gold. They should just mesh together gold and plat.

ksan

jasonng said:
Nope, no backdoor. Only thing different about mlg Shakuras is the depot on the bottom of the ramp.

On my progress on ladder, I'm finding very little difference between my opponents in gold and plat. Only major difference is there are less dumb absurd allins in plat than there was in gold. They should just mesh together gold and plat.
Which is funny cause both diamond and masters are smaller, but the difference from a low diamond to high diamond is pretty large, and low masters to high masters is huge.

but it might come as a huge surprise, cause I guess that's how most things work

Won

Just finished up my placement match. I think I will leave it at that for this season. I feel even less motivated than last season to play more. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom