• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKnives

2vt8s2h.gif

Was it you? I noticed the name only after the match.

Gamespot Asia Q&A with D-Bro.

http://asia.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraftiilegacyofthevoid/news/6325853/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-qanda-with-dustin-browder?sid=6325853&mode=previews

GSA: The official SC2 forums stated that there will be a Heart of the Swarm multiplayer beta coming out. What else can you add on that Wings of Liberty's multiplayer has covered last year?

DB: Well, it's tough. The Terrans have enough stuff already, thus it becomes a guessing game to know what to do for them. We have to be careful about what new units we can add to the game. At the end of the day, we still have to add in cool s***. [Players] are giving us their money; we have to give them something cool.

There are some easy things we can do and there are some hard things. If we study the game, for example, you would say that the corruptor is lame. Don't get us wrong; they're useful. If there's a lot of colossi, you need corruptors. If there are dark templars, you need overseers. They have a battle function for a situation, but what new battle strategies and tactics do they add in the game? Compare the two to the mutalisks; a player can raid, harass, they can get board control, they can decimate opponents without anti-air. Party, right? Having those guys around changes the match. Corruptors? Meh. You build Colossi, I build Corruptors; end of story.

There are some units we can upgrade wholesale or remove and replace with something better. That's one easy way to give better gameplay without giving so many options you don't know what's going on while also not compromising balance. There may be other places we can legitimately add. For instance, the Protoss don't really have a great way to raid. To a point; they can kinda raid with Phoenixes with anti-gravs and they can cheese with Void Rays, but that's not really fun. But we can add in a legitimate Protoss raider that gives a player new strategies.

There are a few places (not very many) where we can do new roles for races that are missing roles. There's definitely units that can die in the fire so that we can replace them with something cool. We're looking to upgrade some units and add a few, but we need to keep the unit list down because we don't know how big it's going to be [at this point in time].

GSA: How about applying the expansion concept of Brood Wars in terms of multiplayer?

DB: In that expansion, we added two or three per race. I don't know what we'll do ultimately. We may add one per race plus tweaks, or we may do two on some, maybe three. Not all races will be given equal treatment; the Terrans are really, really good and it's really hard to do more with them. While the other races currently have an equal opportunity to beat them (except for Korean Grandmasters), Terrans are still more flexible and we don't want to add that.

GSA: Any past units from the first StarCraft to make a comeback? *cough*Lurkers*cough

DB: There's a chance[laughs]. We're not ashamed of putting [the Lurkers] back in. I'm sure they're pretty high on the community request list. They are pretty mighty, since they offer two things to the overall Zerg strategy: the ability to attack while cloaked, and the ability to push into tier two building. We may have different solutions other than the Lurker, but we're still working on it.

cdyhybrid

Lurkerrrrrrs. And I agree Toss needs a harass unit. Although they could fix the Warp Prism as a shuttle and probably alleviate that. Too bad there are no Reavers (yet?). Also replace Corruptors with Scourge please :p Just make Broods morph from Mutas.

/wishlist

Holden

Pandaman said:
they're crazy, toss air has excellent harass.

ya cool i got 1 void. Lets go harass! Oh wait he's got queens.

other way around, oh i can make 7 mutas now. Lets go harass, since he doesn't know what i can build since i made all those 7 mutas at the same time!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
ya cool i got 1 void. Lets go harass! Oh wait he's got queens.
another day, another toss who thinks 'harass' means 'kill everything'.

other way around, oh i can make 7 mutas now. Lets go harass, since he doesn't know what i can build since i made all those 7 mutas at the same time!
hallucinated phoenix
actual phoenix
observers

if you cant spot a spire its your own problem. if you cant autowin as soon as you see mutas, also your problem.

Holden

Pandaman said:
another day, another toss who thinks 'harass' means 'kill everything'.

another day, another zerg who thinks harass means 'kill everything'. Oh wait it does.
Pandaman said:
hallucinated phoenix
actual phoenix
observers

if you cant spot a spire its your own problem. if you cant autowin as soon as you see mutas, also your problem.

Proxy.

ksan

Building mutas is a bit like harassing yourself, the only unit with worse dps/cost is sentries, which are spell casters. (and if you're not hitting three targets without armor mutas are actually less efficient than sentries too)

V_Arnold

Hugoboss21 said:

Oh, let me guess, Zergs should start using more Nyduses, right? To battle 200 food deathballs, obviously :D You sometimes really act like ChronicleX o_O (not manner-wise, but these balance tidbits..:p)

ksan

Pandaman said:
toss sometimes forget that not everyone can magic 10-20food worth of defense next to any proxy tech anywhere on the map.
You're saying that like you would actually defend your spire against a toss, why are you even making the spire in the first place?

;p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ksan said:
You're saying that like you would actually defend your spire against a toss, why are you even making the spire in the first place?

;p
ive been trying to see if 6 muta can pay for themselves + spire vs protoss with everything else being a more standard army comp.

ksan

Pandaman said:
ive been trying to see if 6 muta can pay for themselves + spire vs protoss with everything else being a more standard army comp.
Ye, I actually think playing mutas against toss is a lot of fun, but I still think it's a bit too much of an investment with too high risk for it being viable as a standard strat.

Dooraven

For instance, the Protoss don't really have a great way to raid. To a point; they can kinda raid with Phoenixes with anti-gravs and they can cheese with Void Rays, but that's not really fun. But we can add in a legitimate Protoss raider that gives a player new strategies.

Thank god.

Anyway, I'd love to see the Lurker return but they'd have to fix the larvae mechanic for that (not to mentioned the fact that it's a stealthed AOE unit lol), reacting to pressure was much harder in Brood War due to lack of larvae injects. I'm interested in what they're doing with HoTS, they seem to have learned quite a bit with WoL.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dooraven said:
Thank god.

Anyway, I'd love to see the Lurker return but they'd have to fix the larvae mechanic for that (not to mentioned the fact that it's a stealthed AOE unit lol), reacting to pressure was much harder in Brood War due to lack of larvae injects. I'm interested in what they're doing with HoTS, they seem to have learned quite a bit with WoL.
you do remember lurkers are morphed from hydralisks right? >_>
the larvae mechanic wouldn't be affected at all.

also all you toss calling for air changes are in for a rude awakening when you end up with a scout and reality crushes your brood war nostalgia. :p

Dooraven

Pandaman said:
you do remember lurkers are morphed from hydralisks right? >_>
the larvae mechanic wouldn't be affected at all.

also all you toss calling for air changes are in for a rude awakening when you end up with a scout and reality crushes your brood war nostalgia. :p

Ah yeah whoops.

Hydras were also Tier 1/1.5 in broodwar though, so if they want to bring back lurkers they'd have to redesign zerg a bit.

As for Scout, well: :(

I want a Tier 3 Zerg unit that can attack air though >.<

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Morph from Ultralisks for balance issues.

Dooraven

Q8D3vil said:
give me back my siege tank and science vessel and i wouldn't complain.

Deal, as long as EMP is put back into the Science Vessel and removed from the Ghost. You can have lockdown back though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
some one posted in the dota 2 thread that moon grubby lyn and tod were quitting sc2 and moving to dota 2.. but posted no source..

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Corran Horn said:
Code:
if (Corran Win)
    True
else
    False

Dude, if you're going to use programming syntax, you should do it right! Not only is that filled with at least 3 syntax errors, but it's completely redundant. There's no reason for the if statement since your "Corran Win" already holds the value of true or false as it is a conditional!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ZealousD said:
Dude, if you're going to use programming syntax, you should do it right! Not only is that filled with at least 3 syntax errors, but it's completely redundant. There's no reason for the if statement since your "Corran Win" already holds the value of true or false as it is a conditional!
ogre.jpg

HolyCheck said:
This is a tad awful for those of us that don't live in Korea or American, and where internet is actually expensive and not unlimited.
Meh you live in a capitol city, I played WoW for 3 years on a wireless connection from with an average ping of 600 because it was the only non dialup option. WoW was playable solo grinding/farming even if when capped to 64kb/s. I can't see shitty net having much an effect on Diablo unless you get consistant drop outs, Hardcore would probably suck though.

Dooraven

Startale v IM: First Matchup = Bomber v MVP
Prime v Slayers: First Matchup = MKP v Taeja

I don't think IM is too happy about their 4-0 loss to FXO lol nor Startale about their 4-2 loss to NSH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom