• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flutta

Banned
Hold Up Wait A Minute GIF by ABC Network

So the official Xbox channel shared this Tweet earlier, and Phil Spencer also retweeted it.

But this photo also has a 5/5 review by Metro.

VTjnFBx.jpg

But Metro hasn't even published their review yet. It is still in progress.

rpEyI8U.jpg

And by the looks of it, they are not going to give it a 5/5.

uCaq2MV.jpg

And there is no other Metro that submitted its 5/5 review on Opencritic. I checked.

So is Xbox straight-up forging photos to inflate their reviews? Or what's going on here?

Lmao!!

One thing is for sure. Xbox shills hate your guts 🤣

GHG

Gold Member
He really didn't hold back, did he. Mad lad!

Not at all:

The closing statement in the review is fucking brutal:

If you're the kind of person who thinks videogames peaked with Fallout 3's launch version and they've required neither evolution nor improvement since, this game is absolutely for you. If you believe Bethesda doesn't need to exhibit growth as an artistic outlet and hasn't had to change a thing about the way it's made games since 2008, I can safely say you'll adore Starfield because it's all that a Bethesda game has always been... and literally nothing more.

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Thief1987

If you're the kind of person who thinks videogames peaked with Fallout 3's launch version and they've required neither evolution nor improvement since, this game is absolutely for you. If you believe Bethesda doesn't need to exhibit growth as an artistic outlet and hasn't had to change a thing about the way it's made games since 2008, I can safely say you'll adore Starfield because it's all that a Bethesda game has always been... and literally nothing more.
Well, I saw plenty of people in this thread who expect exactly that and seems like very glad with it.

Madflavor

"For sure. Historically, *I've* been really forgiving of Bethesda's little routine, but at this point they're peddling snake oil. There simply isn't an excuse for a game like Starfield when more ambitious games from less wealthy companies look better and run better."

Yeah I'm in complete agreement with this. My thoughts exactly. Bethesda Games were a meme back in 2006 - 2011. Everyone knew the engine was jank, and the way some systems and NPCs behaved were a joke. But by 2006 - 2011 standards, those games did enough right to elevate them to greatness. But this isn't 2011 anymore. The formula was showing it's age even in 2015 with Fallout 4. It's 2023 now. The "Lol typical Bethesda game" isn't funny anymore. Their design approach and engine is incredibly dated and holding them back. They just want to keep doing what worked for them in the past with very little drive to evolve the formula. Todd has become complacent. This is why other game studios who make RPGs have surpassed them. It makes me worried for TES VI.

I'm glad some people are enjoying the game, but I think even those who are loving Starfield should call BGS out. If TES VI is just Skyrim with better graphics, I can't imagine it'll be received as well.

GHG

Gold Member
Well, I saw plenty of people in this thread who expect exactly that and seems like very glad with it.

People can claim they are happy with it all they like but the reality is that the game won't have a lasting impact on the industry. And for all the money that's gone into it, it really ought to. The vision for this game is outstanding on paper but the execution is lacking.

The primary issue with all this is the fact that the industry continues to move on and forward, especially so with some of the releases we've had this year.

So the question becomes, how is it that a team which has been afforded exorbitant amounts of time, resources and budget is only able to muster up something that has all the hallmarks and limitations of early 2010's game design? It's almost as if all the hardware and software advancements we've had since then have counted for nothing as far as they are concerned.

If only they put the same amount of passion and energy that they've shown in marketing the game, attempting to control the reviews and attempting to control the narrative on online social spaces into the game itself.

Last edited:

Hugare

"For sure. Historically, *I've* been really forgiving of Bethesda's little routine, but at this point they're peddling snake oil. There simply isn't an excuse for a game like Starfield when more ambitious games from less wealthy companies look better and run better."

Yeah I'm in complete agreement with this. My thoughts exactly. Bethesda Games were a meme back in 2006 - 2011. Everyone knew the engine was jank, and the way some systems and NPCs behaved were a joke. But by 2006 - 2011 standards, those games did enough right to elevate them to greatness. But this isn't 2011 anymore. The formula was showing it's age even in 2015 with Fallout 4. It's 2023 now. The "Lol typical Bethesda game" isn't funny anymore. Their design approach and engine is incredibly dated and holding them back. They just want to keep doing what worked for them in the past with very little drive to evolve the formula. Todd has become complacent. This is why other game studios who make RPGs have surpassed them. It makes me worried for TES VI.

I'm glad some people are enjoying the game, but I think even those who are loving Starfield should call BGS out. If TES VI is just Skyrim with better graphics, I can't imagine it'll be received as well.
Great post

Thats why I roll my eyes at people giving it a perfect score or saying its the best game ever.

I want Bethesda to improve, I want TES VI to be great/amazing. So despite enjoying my time with the game (just barely enough, so far), I want them being called out for their mistakes.

The game is exactly what one would expect from Bethesda, and that's bad, imo. We should expect more from such a huge developer.

Such an influential developer not improving their formula even slightly in 20 years is just madness. We are seeing their games reception decreasing in quality/reception more and more, and they do nothing about it.

Last edited:
I just spread the truth and light 🤣

Don't shoot the messenger 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Hold Up Wait A Minute GIF by ABC Network

So the official Xbox channel shared this Tweet earlier, and Phil Spencer also retweeted it.

But this photo also has a 5/5 review by Metro.

VTjnFBx.jpg

But Metro hasn't even published their review yet. It is still in progress.

rpEyI8U.jpg

And by the looks of it, they are not going to give it a 5/5.

uCaq2MV.jpg

And there is no other Metro that submitted its 5/5 review on Opencritic. I checked.

So is Xbox straight-up forging photos to inflate their reviews? Or what's going on here?

The Metro put in the picture seems to not be the one you think but the belgium "metro" time :messenger_grinning_smiling::

tubXmVH.jpg

vaUN0x0.jpg

SRTtoZ

Easy Allies review came in

Is it me or are all their reviews an 8? I feel that's what Easy Allies has turned into. Just everyone agreeing with each other and agreeing that all games are 'good'. I miss the days of Giant Bomb when people would actually argue over a game and not change positions easily in giving it a GOTY award or whatever. Easy Allies has some good personalities, but they are just so agreeable. It's boring.

That's aside from them losing their best creators.

StereoVsn

When people are willing to shell out $100 and $70 for the steam version, I'm sure everyone knows what they think of Xbox PC GP.

Game is showing 4 out of 5 for the Xbox version with 2K+. I'm curious to see how everything unfolds for Starfield's first weekend after release.
Mods is the answer. You cant use things like script extender and any more complex mods that will depend on that.

Plus performance is usually better with Steam versions vs MS Store ones (no idea if that's true with Starfield). But anyways, it's mostly modding.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Its important to separate the term "Bethesda's game" from games after Fallout New Vegas. FONV was the last truly RPG from Bethesda (Obsidian) after that all their games including Starfield are more shooters with rpg elements. So when people say Starfield is Fallout on scpace , yes it is but more exactly Fallout 4.

I also Agree the formula is dated, I blame the engine and the lack of good writers on the company..some of the dialogs are like the ones on FF16 ( bland, stupid, boring). And honestly is good other developers can deliver better RPG experiences like CDPR , Fromsoftware ,Capcom.

If you are new on Bethesdas games you will find Starfield interesting but if you have been playing their games since before they came to consoles you will find Srarfield fun since you like the formula but also will know there is a lite RPG compared to older ones , and than is just the same game with a skin of space shooter instead of fantasy or pos apocaliptic world.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
What are they/them doing? Even Outer Worlds doesn't deserve a 4/10 score, come on. I've played 4 hours and it's an okay game(albeit a bit boring); not a goat, not a goty, but definitely not a bad game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That piece of turd getting an 85 is everything you need to know about how much we should value MC scoring and modern journalism...

If sf is a 7, that thing is barely a 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom