• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickFire

Do I believe someone was overly critical to get attention? Absolutely

Do I believe someone tried to game metacritic by giving review copies to fanatics and slow-walking copies to objective reviewers? Absolutely

Do I believe a lot of user scores that aren't tied to accounts who played the game were posted in bad faith? Absolutely

Would it be interesting to see an aggregated score that only included outlets who don't have the word Xbox in the outlets' names? You're damned right that would be interesting.

Honey Bunny

Starfield review thread got locked in that other forum after the 4/10 reactions

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
Mods love making work for themselves over there.

Which is very strange, considering they do it for free.

Topher

Gold Member
tumblr_mvzd3kZDCQ1rrxe89o6_250.gif

I agree 4/10 does seem harsh, but the actual review imo is spot on. I brought it up before, but BGS's design approach to Open World, RPG mechanics, and camerawork are old and outdated. They're sticking only to what they know, and aren't evolving their craft. It's been 17 years since Oblivion. Compare that to other studios like Capcom who've continued to experiment with Resident Evil, to mostly great results. Or Nintendo with their latest Zelda games. Even FromSoftware who tend to stick to their Soulslike design, have evolved and experimented with the formula with games like Sekiro, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring.

Bethesda has been doing the same shit, the same janky shit, for nearly two decades. On top of that while Starfield has it's good points, much of the game feels so shallow thanks to it's procedurally generated maps, abundant loading screens, repeated enemy and base placement, and braindead AI.

And look it's cool if you or anyone else love the game. But I'd wager that someone's enjoyment of Starfield, significantly hinges on how much they love the setting and can allow themselves to be immersed in that world. To people who crave exploring space in a more grounded tonal approach, Starfield is a dream come true. But if the things I listed above are enough to annoy you, it's going to demolish your immersion, take you out of the experience, and annoy you if anything else. This is what Jim is talking about, and while I do think the 4/10 is a bit extra, their actual points are sound imo.

I read his review and frankly, he seems to be working overtime to justify his score. I think there are some actual legit criticisms, many of which I have voiced myself. But he bends over backwards to portray Bethesda making a Bethesda game as a bad thing. He is right that it is what many of us want. And he focuses so much on the repetition in procedurally generated portions of the game and yet not nearly as much attention given to the scope of the crafted elements how much content is there. And it is funny because the praise in the review for the space combat is what I consider to a weak point of the game. So yeah, I'm at odds with review in both its positive and negative opinions. It's fine......opinions, etc. But in any case, I stand by my position that the game doesn't deserve a 4/10. I think we mostly agree on that.

The problem is the fact that there's a disproportionate amount of them for Xbox and every single one of them get preferential treatment. Start an Xbox fansite and the likes of Phil/Greenbeeg/Bond are giving you preferential treatment, encouragement and gifts from day one. Explain to me how they all get sent review codes along with the usual twitter/youtube fluffers but at the same time they send a code to Eurogamer but state it's only allowed to be used by Digital Foundry?

I'm not going to make excuses for Microsoft for how they handled review codes. Seems to me they are still feeling the effect of Redfall's trouncing by critics and are making poor decisions in order to over-mitigate the situation and proactively attempt to engineer a better metacritic result. Microsoft and Bethesda absolutely deserve the criticism for that.

GOWR is not the right example because it's a universally praised and liked game with a score of 94/100. So a 6/10 is completely out of sorts. It's like someone giving Elden Ring or Zelda TOTK a 6/10 -- which wouldn't make sense. Games like GOWR, ER, Zelda TOTK are nearly flawless games.

On the other hand, if someone gives Days Gone -- a good game but with definite flaws -- a 5/10, I can see that happening. Some may also give it a 10/10 (which would be equally wrong) because it's not a perfect game.

The point is that a +/- 20 score makes sense, but only when the game is divisive. If it is a near-perfect game, a 6/10 is a bad score. If it is a complete horseshit game, a 9/10 is a bad score. This is also why Xbox Era's 8.5/10 for Redfall is a bad score because they gave a good score to a unanimously bad game.

That's really playing twister to justify lowball scores for select games while putting others on a pedestal and suggesting they are immune. Not going to play that game my man. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I mean a 4/10 is a bit click-baity, but I think a 5 or 6 is fair. The game excels at nothing in particular and does some things (sense of place especially) very poorly. You don't get an automatic floor of 8/10 for ambition alone if your efforts are aimed at things that simply aren't very good.

I didn't play enough to rate it with certainty, but what I did play garners a 6/10 from me. It's a slog of loading screens, menus, weak combat, and an insane amount of killing without context. It is ambitious only in scope, not in design, narrative, or gameplay.

BbMajor7th

I mean a 4/10 is a bit click-baity, but I think a 5 or 6 is fair. The game excels at nothing in particular and does some things (sense of place especially) very poorly. You don't get an automatic floor of 8/10 for ambition alone if your efforts are aimed at things that simply aren't very good.

I didn't play enough to rate it with certainty, but what I did play garners a 6/10 from me. It's a slog of loading screens, menus, weak combat, and an insane amount of killing without context. It is ambitious only in scope, not in design, narrative, or gameplay.
I bounced off Fallout 4 for this reason.

yazenov

When the metacritic score dips to 84 and below, it will no doubt be below what the majority of the voters here expected for this game. Only 12.5 percent of the voters expectations were met.

It will be hard to deny that this game is a disappointment critically.

Also the steam reviews aren't too kind to this game. So let's admit that this game hasn't met the unrealistic expectations of many of the fans.

A1bdBzm.jpg

Last edited:

Kurotri

I have yet to play it but this whole Starfield review discourse has made me even more interested..I wanna find out how I respond to it.

hussar16

Starfield has an ugly piss filter I can't play it. I Wil have to download mod but I don't undertsnd why Bethesda adds these piss filters every game

ByWatterson

I bounced off Fallout 4 for this reason.

And see, I platinumed Fallout 4 for some reason. I think it's because I was a new dad at the time, and the hook of FIND MY SON really got me invested in the gameplay loop. But Fallout has a much, much better sense of place. Just walking around looking at stuff informs the fish-out-of-water experience of the protagonist. The gameplay and narrative married really nicely, and so I could overlook a lot of what it does poorly.

The space feeling in Starfield should have been the glue here. Instead it's the primary reason the whole thing falls apart.

Raven117

The MC will be what the MC will be.

I found that rushing the game kinda sucks. The clunkiness of it really shows. If i was a reviewer...Id hate it. They don't have the luxury of just taking it easy and settling in.

I found that once I slowed down and just kinda settled in, it became much more enjoyable.

The really slow and dare I say, terrible, opening really does suck...which is funny because so many Bethesda games do better here. It kinda puts you on edge immediately and it takes hours to kinda get back on that good cadence.

Last edited:
85 MC now on Xbox.

Steam concurrent player count is consistent, which is good, but not massive. Now slightly doubting it'll break 300K concurrent over the weekend. If it does, have strong doubt it'll break 370K concurrent.

76% user score on Steam; 6.1 user score on MetaCritic, but that's suspect to review-bombing so isn't very useful.

Well I'll be a son of a bitch. Looks Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami might be right. That metacritic is down to 85 and that's without Metro's expected 6/10 score. Glad I didn't make any jizz gargling bets like a few of you freaks (love it) seem to always do.

How much does Metro UK weigh into the average?

Seems to me Jimquisition's score is the one that brought the Xbox one down to an 85, and I'm guessing Metro UK has to weigh at least as much as Jimquisition.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's really playing twister to justify lowball scores for select games while putting others on a pedestal and suggesting they are immune. Not going to play that game my man. Agree to disagree.
Not at all, my friend. Perhaps you didn't understand my point or I failed to articulate it.

I was saying that if a game is a 7/10 and a reviewer gives it 10/10 (30 points higher than average), it is reasonable to assume that another reviewer might go the exact points in the opposite direction and give it a 4/10. Both reviewers would be considered hyperbolic, but at least it would be consistent.

If a person can go 30 points up, then another can go 30 points down, too, right?

However, if a game, like Zelda or Elden Ring, is already a 10/10 by pretty much every reviewer, there is no place to go 30 points up. If a person goes 30 points down and gives it a 7/10, it'd be considered odd and controversial, also because he'd be the only person to do this.

A less decisive game has less room for variance. A divisive game would have elements that some really like and others really dislike. That's what make those "middle-scale" gams divisive, e.g., Death Stranding.

Having said that, we can agree to disagree of course.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Seems to me Jimquisition's score is the one that brought the Xbox one down to an 85, and I'm guessing Metro UK has to weigh at least as much as Jimquisition.
  • Metro = Low weightage (0.75)
  • Eurogamer = Medium weightage (1.0)
  • Edge = High weightage (1.25)
These are the 3 big ones left, assuming I'm not forgetting anyone.

P.S. This is according to the last proper information, which is very old though. So take it as you will.

Last edited:

Varteras

85 MC now on Xbox.

Steam concurrent player count is consistent, which is good, but not massive. Now slightly doubting it'll break 300K concurrent over the weekend. If it does, have strong doubt it'll break 370K concurrent.

76% user score on Steam; 6.1 user score on MetaCritic, but that's suspect to review-bombing so isn't very useful.

I'm not sure exactly how much weight it has, but it is a pretty well known reviewer and a 6/10 is probably going to have a fairly sizeable impact. Mind you, they could go higher than that. They just said that based on what they had played, they couldn't see it being any higher than that. Which also means they could score it lower yet.

• Metro = Low weightage (0.75)
  • Eurogamer = Medium weightage (1.0)
  • Edge = High weightage (1.25)
These are the 3 big ones left, assuming I'm not forgetting anyone.

P.S. This is according to the last proper information, which is very old though. So take it as you will.

Thanks. I'm checking the critic's side on Meta and can't find Eurogamer in the "In-Progress" section, don't know what's up with that. Polygon is unscored, but going off the blurb if they did give it score, sounds like it'd be a 7.5/10 or 8/10 at absolute best.

I'm not sure exactly how much weight it has, but it is a pretty well known reviewer and a 6/10 is probably going to have a fairly sizeable impact. Mind you, they could go higher than that. They just said that based on what they had played, they couldn't see it being any higher than that. Which also means they could score it lower yet.

Ah so that's where the 6/10 talk is coming from, thanks. If they weigh on the heavier end, that or even a 7/10 from them could potentially bring the score down by another point.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ah so that's where the 6/10 talk is coming from, thanks. If they weigh on the heavier end, that or even a 7/10 from them could potentially bring the score down by another point.
It's coming from the Metro's in-progress review / first impressions.

From that in-progress review:

TnLCF2B.jpg

So, at best it'd seem like they will give it a 6/10, but can go lower to maybe 5/10. But 6/10 seems like a safer bet.

Kilau

“Just get rid of the reviewers I don’t like”

How about no? Grow up.
You're the kid that accuses people of harassing reviewers with zero evidence and I should grow up?

Jim is a worthless troll critic and has been for a long time but I'm also talking about the clearly biased "xbox" named sites that spit out 10s just to boost the aggregate. Yeah, MC and OC need a culling from both ends of the spectrum.

tmlDan

with 30fps and it dipping below that id expect the xbox version to land at an 82 tbh, the PC version also has issues.

I don't know why it has to dip from 120 fps to 25 fps at times for no apparent reason. It makes sense in other games when there's a lot happening on screen but thats not the case for Starfield

Montauk

You're the kid that accuses people of harassing reviewers with zero evidence and I should grow up?

Jim is a worthless troll critic and has been for a long time but I'm also talking about the clearly biased "xbox" named sites that spit out 10s just to boost the aggregate. Yeah, MC and OC need a culling from both ends of the spectrum.

Metacritics job is to aggregate review scores. All review scores. If they ever stepped into editorialising and selecting which reviews are counted, they would have destroyed their role.

The problem here isn’t Metacritic, or particular outlets (whether ‘biased’ or not) it is instead simply the insane obsession that you and half this board have with these aggregated scores.

Stop being lazy, stop being obsessed with numbers that don’t represent what you think they represent and go READ SOME REVIEWS.

This aggregate score obsession here has lead to nothing but bullshit. A bullshit culture that has infected this forum.

And yes, you need to grow up. Grow up and accept that different people hold different opinions. Generally it’s something people learn as a child, but you’ve not got there yet.

This complete inability to understand the concept of an opinion is like a 10,000 tonne weight on this places culture.

I don’t give two fucks what you think of Sterling, he’s a professional games critic. That goes for any of the outlets that MC use.

No amount of whining from you is going to get those reviews discounted.

Last edited:
It's coming from the Metro's in-progress review / first impressions.

From that in-progress review:

TnLCF2B.jpg

So, at best it'd seem like they will give it a 6/10, but can go lower to maybe 5/10. But 6/10 seems like a safer bet.

Yah, overall reception is looking somewhat mixed among critics, and maybe even harsher from non-critics. Though, the game is not a disaster, nowhere near one. It just didn't live up to certain lofty expectations (some thrusted upon it due to now being a 1P title), but in a lot of cases not even modern expectations for current open-world RPG games, in various areas.

I know there are people still holding out hope, for example, that Steam concurrent shoots up to BG3 numbers; that ain't happening. I think the game will be lucky to hit 350K concurrent on Steam over the weekend, but it could very well shoot below 300K peak. The player numbers right now are consistent, which is good, but I'm interested to see how that holds after the first full week of availability.

Gonna guess that launch month sales are something around 1.5 - 2 million between Steam and Xbox. Not bad, just not massive like Elden Ring/TOTK/GOWR numbers. BG3 on PS5 will probably reach those numbers or within earshot the same month. Spiderman 2, Super Mario Wonder, & Super Mario RPG Remake will blow past those numbers within the first few days they go on sale. And then there's COD in November.

I'll still try to play Starfield for sure, hopefully when I can borrow a family member's Series S and get it through Game Pass. This weekend preferably. I'd like to do some comparisons with it against HFW after taking a day to just play it on its own merits. From what others are saying and what I've seen so far, seems like I'll be a solid 8/10 experience. Something fun for a few hours over the weekend, but doesn't seem like a type of game I'd want to invest a ton of time into (not without big mods).

In the meantime...time to get some gains 💪😁

Last edited:

Jadsey

I've yet to dive into Diablo 4, yet, but I've logged some embarrassing hours in Diablo 3 - what disappointed you with it?
I have 1600+ hours in D3… I absolutely adore that game.

The campaign and art style of D4 are excellent. But the endgame is mind numbingly boring.

My main problems are mob density and resource management. It feels so slow and clunky to play…truly horrible.

And every time the community found a way to make it fun, Blizz said ‘no, how dare you enjoy yourself!’ and promptly nerfed it to the ground.

It’s in a bad way and they are haemorrhaging players like crazy. I suspect in about five seasons time it will be fun though!

For now I await the new D3 season!

twilo99

Gold Member
My personal review is
I'll still try to play Starfield for sure, hopefully when I can borrow a family member's Series S and get it through Game Pass. This weekend preferably. I'd like to do some comparisons with it against HFW after taking a day to just play it on its own merits. From what others are saying and what I've seen so far, seems like I'll be a solid 8/10 experience. Something fun for a few hours over the weekend, but doesn't seem like a type of game I'd want to invest a ton of time into (not without big mods).

In the meantime...time to get some gains 💪😁

I've been playing it on xss, not bad at all..

Still hovering around 8-8.5/10 for me

Kilau

Metacritics job is to aggregate review scores. All review scores. If they ever stepped into editorialising and selecting which reviews are counted, they would have destroyed their role.

The problem here isn’t Metacritic, or particular outlets (whether ‘biased’ or not) it is instead simply the insane obsession that you and half this board have with these aggregated scores.

Stop being lazy, stop being obsessed with numbers that don’t represent what you think they represent and go READ SOME REVIEWS.

This aggregate score obsession here has lead to nothing but bullshit. A bullshit culture that has infected this forum.

And yes, you need to grow up. Grow up and accept that different people hold different opinions. Generally it’s something people learn as a child, but you’ve not got there yet.

This complete inability to understand the concept of an opinion is like a 10,000 tonne weight on this places culture.

I don’t give two fucks what you think of Sterling, he’s a professional games critic. That goes for any of the outlets that MC use.

No amount of whining from you is going to get those reviews discounted.
Yeah, I'm not going to read that gobbledygook. Not sure why you think you've earned the right to talk to people like you do. Grow up or you'll be on the ban page before long.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
They have a few but I don’t think as many

adamsapple adamsapple told me that dualshockers isn't a Playstation fan site recently:

Wait wait wait, what the heck are you two puffing over here? Since when is Dualshockers a "playstation centric" website? Because they have "Dualshock" in their name ?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

As an example, Playstation Lifetyle is a PS centric website, it only covers PS console and VR content, Dualshockers covers all consoles, anime, TV and movies.

Also IGN is there.

Last edited:

Gudji

Been playing for a couple of hours and man the intro is so meh... it's too early to come to conclusions but based on what I've played so far I'd say the 7s and 8s seem to be on point.
People say it starts to get real good after 12 hours so I'm going to put some effort into it but overall the technical level, polish and design demonstrated so far doesn't feel like one of those sublime games you get from time to time, which is a shame.

Seriously get a fucking new engine - I pray the day some big developer with more technical chops decides to make a "bethesda game" maybe they'll move their ass for real.

Btw I think Todd Howard might be the voice of Dr. Wynn if not he sounds very similar.

Last edited:

Madflavor

When the metacritic score dips to 84 and below, it will no doubt be below what the majority of the voters here expected for this game. Only 12.5 percent of the voters expectations were met.

It will be hard to deny that this game is a disappointment critically.

Also the steam reviews aren't too kind to this game. So let's admit that this game hasn't met the unrealistic expectations of many of the fans.

A1bdBzm.jpg

I'm predicting it'll level off at either 84 or 85, I don't think it'll actually dip below an 84. It would take a lot more 7/10 and below scores to bring it that far down at this point. I can't see Eurogamer, Edge and Metro giving good scores, but I think there will be enough good scores to keep it afloat of 84.

Still 85 or below is a disappointing score overall for this game.

Montauk

Yeah, I'm not going to read that gobbledygook. Not sure why you think you've earned the right to talk to people like you do. Grow up or you'll be on the ban page before long.

I’m not sure how you think I talk if you didn’t read my post. But obviously you did.

Your suggestions are nonsensical and you know it.

Metacritic is in no position to decide what a ‘valid’ outlet is. The moment they did that they be useless a score aggregator because everyone would be arguing over how and why Metacritic excludes certain outlets.

There’s no sense at all in excluding the highest or lowest scores, there is only your personal biased conclusion that these scores mean something, something you don’t like.

You’re just saying “I don’t like these, get rid of them”.

You know perfectly well that MC and OC will never ever cull any of your hated outlets. It’s almost as if they’re not working off your personal biases and obsessions and are simply aggregating review scores.

It’s time to stop tilting at windmills and move on. Your fundamental problem - as is common here - is that you take your little opinions as being unbiased objective statements of fact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom