• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lokaum D+

While Starfield has been released with positive reviews on Steam, the same can't be said for the Game Pass/Xbox App version.

Weighting 140.8 GB instead of 116 GB and with low peformance, the game is currently 2.5/5.0 on overall user scores, and going lower, the vast majority of complains due to it's very poor peformance.

0XmDan3.png

T4Hlmim.png

F5YO5dcX0AA_mfZ
Yeah, i have both version and i can say for sure, gamepass performance is way worse then steam, i wonder why ?

Elysium44

Banned
While Starfield has been released with positive reviews on Steam, the same can't be said for the Game Pass/Xbox App version.

Weighting 140.8 GB instead of 116 GB and with low peformance, the game is currently 2.5/5.0 on overall user scores, and going lower, the vast majority of complains due to it's very poor peformance.

I just looked on the Xbox app, it looks like the base game and premium version are subject to separate reviews? Which would be strange. Anyway the base game is at 2.9 from 109 reviews and the premium is 2.8 from 327. These are miniscule numbers of reviews for such a popular game 🤔 Also I assume the premium reviews are people who have paid for that DLC and can't refund it, is that right? So nobody can accuse those people of buying it just to review bomb.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Wrong, the store show the size of the total package, when you install it it only downloads the required language and weight 116 to 120 GB, just like the Steam version...
About performance, it runs as well as the Steam version, very stable and supports all the mods released so far.
It's the same game and even supports Auto HDR when you have to rename the exe on Steam to get it.

The Xbox Store is mostly filled with bad reviews anyway, it's rare that a game gets good reviews, especially Game Pass games.

gow3isben

According to your post in the other thread, Starfield has 1 million concurrent players across all platforms - handily beating BG3, which had 850k on Steam (it's only platform). Or are you only considering Steam in isolation for the purposes of this thread?

Steam is not its only platform lol

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The main quest seems pretty short. I finished at 8 hours, but I think the main issue is balance. You can easily get past halfway without having to be leveled at all. Then you are slammed with level 30 enemies all of a sudden. 😵‍💫
You spend time to get your levels and gear up to the task and then it’s over. 🤦‍♂️.

There is still tons of quests to do but it’s still unpolished for the main quests to be in that state.

damidu

They can, they will and it will continue to score 9s and 10s from fanboys. That game will be even more hyped than starfield.
nah they’ll definitely get progressively more shit, by releasing same game with same deadend engine once a decade.

they already went from comfortably mid90 dev to probably low80s when this one settles.

there is a reason this one is already their lowest rated rpg bar fo76, in spite of review curating attempts.
sure you’ll have diehard console warriors defending them no matter what, but thats just part of the fun.

Last edited:

Flabagast

The main quest seems pretty short. I finished at 8 hours, but I think the main issue is balance. You can easily get past halfway without having to be leveled at all. Then you are slammed with level 30 enemies all of a sudden. 😵‍💫
You spend time to get your levels and gear up to the task and then it’s over. 🤦‍♂️.

There is still tons of quests to do but it’s still unpolished for the main quests to be in that state.
Yeah all the progression RPG systems are really really badly designed.

The game can offer awesome moments but it really has a town of shortcomings and Xbox360 era weird restrictions.

Tg89

Yeah BG3 being so recent definitely doesn't help.

The game is just incomplete though. No actual map system is inexcusable and brings this game down more than anything else it's missing, imo. I don't even understand how that happens, would love to see someone ask Todd about it. I can't believe this was originally supposed to launch last year too, given how incomplete it still is.

Jadsey

I've played for 14 hours now and so far it's the weakest of the BGS games to date.

I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, the main draw for me being the exploration & world building elements. .

These feel very shallow to me. I have spent most of my time in loading screens and menus and feel very disconnected from the universe.

On the flip side, the writing seems to be quite good and I've not encountered too much jank.

I've just read the IGN review and it seems quite fair to me. I'll stick it out for sure and hope that things improve.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

The writing in Starfield is comical after having spent ~130 hours in BG3. Like it's very surperficial dialogues with little to no repercussions in Starfield. The dialogues don't feel natural at all. Like one guy pops on mining site and gives you the keys to everything, the ship, the robot, trust me bro, go to constellation. It feels like a satiric version of quests.

But I'll not drag a game for not being as well written as Larian's masterpiece. I'm digging Starfield so far.

BG3 is GOAT though, not only GOTY, it's top 3 game of all time for me now.

Madflavor

BG3 shines a spotlight on Starfield's dated mechanics. If not for BG3, Starfield would have owned the RPG space for weeks and not been compared to anything.

This is definitely similar to Forbidden West vs Elden Ring.

I agree for the most part, but there are some things in Starfield that feel really, and I mean really dated. The persuasion system for example is so silly.

Interfectum

I agree for the most part, but there are some things in Starfield that feel really, and I mean really dated. The persuasion system for example is so silly.
I'm liking Starfield okay enough but yeah I mean everything feels dated in Starfield after BG3. The way the characters look even... in BG3 they look so good and a lot of gorgeous looking characters to boot. In Starfield they all look uncanny valley and ugly.

Ulysses 31

Do explain.
Yeah I was a little off, it's more like 7-8.9.

You typically round up when you have decimal of .5 or higher when converting to a system with no decimals like the X/5 rating system for a little more accuracy.

The conversion of the 0-10 with decimals to X/5 with no decimals is to divide by 2. If the 0-10 system scores a 7 that would be 3.5 in the X/5 system but since there's no decimals and it's .5 or higher it would be round up to a 4.

So if something scores an 4/5 that could mean something between a 7 to 8.9 on the 0-10 system because of the decimals that get lost in the conversion to the X/5.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I've played for 14 hours now and so far it's the weakest of the BGS games to date.

I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, the main draw for me being the exploration & world building elements. .

These feel very shallow to me. I have spent most of my time in loading screens and menus and feel very disconnected from the universe.

On the flip side, the writing seems to be quite good and I've not encountered too much jank.

I've just read the IGN review and it seems quite fair to me. I'll stick it out for sure and hope that things improve.
Do the freestar collection and crimson fleet side mission story lines in that order and you'll feel differently.

Topher

Gold Member
Because he is right more often than not. Just like in this case.

Eh....he's no more right or wrong than anyone else. He's just voicing his opinion after reading random stuff on the internet. And in this case, one based on a false premise. But I guess he appeals to some people so that's fine. I will say he had good coverage of the Depp-Heard saga though.

Madflavor

I'm liking Starfield okay enough but yeah I mean everything feels dated in Starfield after BG3. The way the characters look even... in BG3 they look so good and a lot of gorgeous looking characters to boot. In Starfield they all look uncanny valley and ugly.

I was watching a video on the romance with Sarah Morgan.

It's just so basic. You choose the flirt options, do her questline, and then get married. Getting married is literally just showing up at a random spot, she's still dressed in her casual clothing, some NPC declares you lifemates, and that's it. Nobody shows up a the wedding except her mother. Even Skyrim back in 2011 gave you an audience.

I know it's a minor thing, but the game really doesn't do anything that truly takes Bethesda RPGs to the next level. Their last RPG was 8 years ago. Starfield is a lot of great ideas, half baked. It makes me worried for TESVI. Todd seems so out of touch and has clearly lost his creative spark.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't care for the persuasion system either. It is entirely random whether you pick the right things to say in each individual encounter. I've invested points in Persuasion to help get through it, but it can be annoying.

I was watching a video on the romance with Sarah Morgan.

It's just so basic. You choose the flirt options, do her questline, and then get married. Getting married is literally just showing up at a random spot, she's still dressed in her casual clothing, some NPC declares you lifemates, and that's it. Nobody shows up a the wedding except her mother. Even Skyrim back in 2011 gave you an audience.

I know it's a minor thing, but the game really doesn't do anything that truly takes Bethesda RPGs to the next level. Their last RPG was 8 years ago. Starfield is a lot of great ideas, half baked. It makes me worried for TESVI. Todd seems so out of touch and has clearly lost his creative spark.

I think that summary is oversimplifying the romance of characters. It isn't just a matter of selecting flirt. You have to spend a lot of time with the character on missions and if you do things they don't approve of then romance may not even be an option. I will say that the option for "flirting" with Sarah came up pretty early on while with Andreja it was a long while as she had a lot of barriers up that fit with her closed off personality. So isn't the same for all the characters in the game.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Anything below 6.5 automatically falls into the 3/5 star bracket, and anything above 8.4 automatically falls into the 5/5 bracket.
Yeah but how exactly? Wouldn't 1 star equal to 0.1 to 2 points? Or is what you said just is what is "agreed on"?

Top Bottom