• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm too lazy to read the pages and all the back and forth, but someone called Topher an Xbox fanboy because he likes Starfield?

lol.

Hey Topher, dont you love it when youre on one side of the fence and rattled gamers on the other side are hunting for blood?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm too lazy to read the pages and all the back and forth, but someone called Topher an Xbox fanboy because he likes Starfield?

lol.

Hey Topher, dont you love it when youre on one side of the fence and rattled gamers on the other side are hunting for blood?
Topher getting a taste of his own medicine lmao.

Sanepar

The game is good and solid, my only complain is 2 points:
- worse AI in years. All the time a enemy is stucked on the wall or frozen and don't react.
- graphics in Atlantis. All the textures everything on that place set a low compared to the rest of the game.

Killjoy-NL

lol.

I don't know who's who, so I just made an assumption, coming off a short interaction with that Hero guy that he happened to bump into.

Just an honest mistake.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know this is a reader’s review but I can guarantee they laughed as they published this. Did Xbox really think they could try and fuck with UK reviewers and then those same reviewers wouldn’t pick the game apart once they could?
What is this beef between MS and UK reviewers and them not sending review codes?

I have a theory about this.

I think Bethesda knew that their game wouldn't score above 85+ MC without curating the reviewers' list. Last time Obsidian missed out on a bonus when New Vegas failed to hit 85 MC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/obsidian-...a-meant-bonus-payment-only-with-85-metacritic

Perhaps Bethesda's bonus threshold was set 88 or 90 by Microsoft. Being a separate publishing entity from XGS, Bethesda had an opportunity to decide (independent of XGS) whom to send the review codes. I think they saw an opportunity to artificially inflate reviews soon after launch so they could have Microsoft sign off on their MC bonus.

Bethesda knows that their game is lengthy, and reviewers upon securing a copy on September 01 wouldn't be able to submit their reviews by September 05. Metro, Eurogamer, etc. still haven't been able to submit their reviews.

I think they duped Microsoft into a bonus when they didn't really deserve it.

Last edited:

LordCBH

graphics in Atlantis. All the textures everything on that place set a low compared to the rest of the game.

Game somehow also runs like ass in new Atlantis on series X despite the location mostly feeling dead.

I’m really enjoying the game, but it def has some issues.

The game is good and solid, my only complain is 2 points:
- worse AI in years. All the time a enemy is stucked on the wall or frozen and don't react.
- graphics in Atlantis. All the textures everything on that place set a low compared to the rest of the game.
Dude head to earth for some really low quality textures. New Atlantis looks fine, trees a bit dated especially compared to ffxvi nature.

BlueLyria

I think Bethesda knew that their game wouldn't score above 85+ MC without curating the reviewers' list. Last time Obsidian missed out on a bonus when New Vegas failed to hit 85 MC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/obsidian-...a-meant-bonus-payment-only-with-85-metacritic

Perhaps Bethesda's bonus threshold was set 88 or 90 by Microsoft. Being a separate publishing entity from XGS, Bethesda had an opportunity to decide (independent of XGS) whom to send the review codes. I think they saw an opportunity to artificially inflate reviews soon after launch so they could have Microsoft sign off on their MC bonus.

Bethesda knows that their game is lengthy, and reviewers upon securing a copy on September 01 wouldn't be able to submit their reviews by September 05. Metro, Eurogamer, etc. still haven't been able to submit their reviews.

That would be very funny, but do you really suppose MS would wait only 5 days to sign off on a bonus?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That would be very funny, but do you really suppose MS would wait only 5 days to sign off on a bonus?
Reviews dropped ~10 days ago. Xbox has also "celebrated" those reviews on their social channels; Phil Spencer also retweeted/shared those tweets.

I think there has to be a very early cutoff date because these games can take 5+ years to make. But who knows really. Just a thought/theory I have. Otherwise, what happened with the reviews doesn't make any sense, to me at least.

Pelta88

Let's see, from the front page:

• The OT - nope, no negativity there as far as I can see.
  • The Steam user reviews thread - backfired because of premature celebrations
  • The review thread - the most recent reviews for the game have been predominantly negative, that's not the fault of the participants
  • The DF PC analysis thread - shit performance on PC, whose fault is that?
  • Shill Tassi telling the world that he feels the need to defend the game - if the game was so good then it would have the capacity to stand on its own feet and wouldn't need defending.
So no, the threads are not being made to "create negativity". Any negativity you are seeing is of its own making. If the game was as good as it should (and could) have been then the latest reviews would be positive, it would have comfortably held it's very positive user review rating on steam, the PC performance wouldn't be shite (so the DF PC performance analysis would have been positive), and Shill Tassi would be able to sleep well at night without worrying about his next Forbes contributor article and how he has to white knight for a multi trillion dollar organisation.

I don't know why people keep fucking with GHG GHG like he isn't knowledgeable. Or might hesitate to pull out the receipts on people.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Roni

Gold Member
User scores need to start meaning something. If you gave the game a low score, stay away from the next release. Only way they'll really do something about it...

Lokaum D+

Everyday something new amazes me in this game.

After 40 hours i just started another character since i didnt want to mess with the command console and lose my achiviments, so i started a new game, got to the Lodge and Sarah gave me my fist jetpack, than after sometime i discovered that i cant use the jetpack if i dont have a perk in the skill, WTF ?

Why even botter to give the player the jetpack if u ll lock the booster to a perk ? Y dont lock "sprint" under a "marathon" perk ? or lock crouch under "i m a frog" perk ? GEEZ.

I know that is just 1 point to unlock the ability but c'mon, this should have been a basic feature, no points required, it's not that hard it is ?

Willem Dafoe Smile GIF

Last edited:

Bridges

I am having fun and I think it's a better game than Fallout 4.

I do not think it has the same "Holy shit wow" impact that Skyrim did when it released, and I think that's why so many are disappointed.

If you like Bethesda RPGs I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy this. It's just not going to change the world.

Side note: you can't take clothes off of dead bodies any more and so far that is the biggest offense. What the hell were they thinking?

Del_X

I love this game but I feel like an 8.5 is fair mostly because WHY the fuck are there so many loading screens. They don’t bother me from a “momentum” perspective because I’m playing a PC so load times are very very short. No, they bother me because my parents live in an apartment with no windows and theres several interiors with no fucking windows.

I get that this engine has to load a fuck ton of objects into memory but that should have been sacrificed for a more seamless experience. Like, I don’t NEED to collect coffee mugs and other junk. Cut down the objects by 60-70% and they would probably have the overhead to do things like vehicles, mechs, etc.

JTCx

After spending some time playing, this is clearly either a 6 or 7 out of 10 game. This shit is fucking dull, combat sucks, AI sucks, ship combat sucks, uninteresting companions, no interesting underlying systems with character builds, these "powers" are a joke lol. All you're doing in this game is walk to quest location do the thing and fast travel to another location with various load screens. There is literally no reason for the ship to exist in this game, it adds nothing but more load screens. The planets are barren with nothing interesting in it. This is clearly a walking simulator.

To those who are giving this game a 9 or 10. I'm convinced you just got low standards. If I fed you shit you'll just tell me its chocolate.

foamdino

I spent another few hours playing and my personal score is 7.5/10 (I have a soft spot for Bethesda games). It scratches that RPG "progression" itch quite well (although the challenge to unlock perks is still rough as I find myself saving upgrade points until I complete challenges). I am trying to play an unarmed melee only build. This essentially requires grabbing any/all food items and constantly stuffing myself to regain health after every single encounter. It also means I get nagged by companions about "carrying too much" (whoever thought that was a good idea needs to rethink their contributions to game design) - yeah I know I'm carrying a bunch of "crap", just shut up about it.

Space combat is *awful*, stealth is almost impossible as the companions automatically open fire at inopportune times, the more environments I see the less impressed I am with the graphics - something is off (lighting?) but it all looks quite bland/flat. Inside your ship is quite good and so is Deimos. Voice acting is pretty meh and the UI is an absolute mess - constantly fighting with Tab vs Escape for getting out of menus (Escape should *always* take you right out, but in this game you have to hold Tab - wtf).

I am enjoying the sense of making incremental progress towards my goal (space monk) - but my god the game is actively trying to push me away.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Indictment right here, we got mr brand ambassador talking about “we” being up against a “rigged game”.

The script has been delivered. It’s us vs them, they are out there to get X nation brehs

Hilarious, listen to Cog though he’s not a shill trust, listen to this fanboy going after a reviewer while pretending he’s not. The People, listen to the people.

God just the most embarrassing fuckos.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Holy fuck I went over there, and there's a thread from a guy on his wedding day posting on REEEEEEEEEEEEE. Dude is getting married today and here he is, posting about it on REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for....I don't know. I sure wouldn't post on GAF on my fucking wedding day!

Also Stephanie Sterling is such a strong, beautiful woman!
He probably married his waifu pillow in his basement, don't read to much into it.

Pelta88

Indictment right here, we got mr brand ambassador talking about “we” being up against a “rigged game”.

The script has been delivered. It’s us vs them, they are out there to get X nation brehs

Hilarious, listen to Cog though he’s not a shill trust, listen to this fanboy going after a reviewer while pretending he’s not. The People, listen to the people.

Can you give us a time stamp Thirty7ven Thirty7ven Listening to 3 hours + of this shill podcast to get to the clip is likely to make my ears bleed.

Hugare

If it werent for the graphics/animations, this game could have been launched before Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim

In many ways, its not only an stagnation of the formula, but a regression

"Know what would be fun? Dividing the map in 5 different planets that the player will have to fast travel in order to go to. Exploration? Fuck that" - Todd Howard

Imagine fast travelling from the Vault to the Capitol Building in F3, not experiencing all the side content in between.

Or going from Whiterun directly to the College of Winterhold

That's how I feel doing missions in Starfield. Going from point A to point B.

Last edited:

Jemm

"Know what would be fun? Dividing the map in 5 different planets that the player will have to fast travel in order to go to. Exploration? Fuck that" - Todd Howard
Imagine fast travelling from the Vault to the Capitol Building in F3, not experiencing all the side content in between.
You still get those when you walk inside cities. I've got into many side quests just by walking through Neon or New Atlantis etc and hearing other people talking.

I'm not sure how it could be implemented when traveling between planets? Ship would get stopped by other ships for random missions? Hard to bake in naturally, without being annoying soon.
Currently when walking across random conversations, you can just ignore them or do the missions, when it suits you.

RyRy93

If it werent for the graphics/animations, this game could have been launched before Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim

In many ways, its not only an stagnation of the formula, but a regression

Or going from Whiterun directly to the College of Winterhold

That's how I feel doing missions in Starfield. Going from point A to point B.
I think Starfield would have worked better if it was set in a single star system, that can be traversed quickly.

It’s trying to be No Man’s Sky and a BGS RPG at the same time and instead of being great at one thing it’s an okay hybrid of both.

The story, characters, the sense of intrigue when you walk around a corner (that you get in other BGS titles), ground combat, space combat and the space traversal and landing/taking off are all poor.

Last edited:

Hugare

You still get those when you walk inside cities. I've got into many side quests just by walking through Neon or New Atlantis etc and hearing other people talking.

I'm not sure how it could be implemented when traveling between planets? Ship would get stopped by other ships for random missions? Hard to bake in naturally, without being annoying soon.
Currently when walking across random conversations, you can just ignore them or do the missions, when it suits you.

Again, it's the same as saying "but there are missions in Whiterun and College of Winterhold". But how much stuff you loose in between?

It could be implemented by having seamless exploration. Getting in and out of planets with no loading screens.

So you could receive distress calls coming from a planet while you are space travelling, for example, making you change course in a more natural way.

Have you ever played The Outer Wilds? Imagine how that game would be with loading screens between planets.

The way Outer Wilds does it is exactly how Starfield should have been: dinamically going in and out of a planet, making it all seems huge and immersive

In terms of content Starfield may be huge, but in scope it seems smaller than the Fallout games or Skyrim due to how its structured

I think Starfield would have worked better if it was set in a single star system, that can be traversed quickly.

It’s trying to be No Man’s Sky and a BGS RPG at the same time and instead of being great at one thing it’s an okay hybrid of both.

The story, characters, the sense of intrigue when you walk around a corner (that you get in other BGS titles), ground combat, space combat and the space traversal and landing/taking off are all poor.

Exactly! Make it all inside a single star system (again, like Outer Wilds)

If Bethesda didnt have the technology, so make TES VI first while cooking the necessary tech for it.

Last edited:

jm89

These guys mentioned in an earlier podcast how xbox reached out to them when they upped the price to $70 for games. Basically to get the fanbase prepared for it.

This is why you can't trust a single one them, proof orders are coming straight from top of xbox.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

I seriously doubt these bonuses are based on day 1 reviews. The reason to do this is to keep pre-orders and early access high, as well as to keep day 1 buzz going.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
After spending some time playing, this is clearly either a 6 or 7 out of 10 game. This shit is fucking dull, combat sucks, AI sucks, ship combat sucks, uninteresting companions, no interesting underlying systems with character builds, these "powers" are a joke lol. All you're doing in this game is walk to quest location do the thing and fast travel to another location with various load screens. There is literally no reason for the ship to exist in this game, it adds nothing but more load screens. The planets are barren with nothing interesting in it. This is clearly a walking simulator.

To those who are giving this game a 9 or 10. I'm convinced you just got low standards. If I fed you shit you'll just tell me its chocolate.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I love this game but I feel like an 8.5 is fair mostly because WHY the fuck are there so many loading screens. They don’t bother me from a “momentum” perspective because I’m playing a PC so load times are very very short. No, they bother me because my parents live in an apartment with no windows and theres several interiors with no fucking windows.

I get that this engine has to load a fuck ton of objects into memory but that should have been sacrificed for a more seamless experience. Like, I don’t NEED to collect coffee mugs and other junk. Cut down the objects by 60-70% and they would probably have the overhead to do things like vehicles, mechs, etc.

Comes back to the biggest sin committed by Bethesda in developing this game: sticking with this old ass engine. I'm at nearly 100 hours and the game is a solid 9 to me ("low standards" be damned), but I'm dinging the game mostly for Bethesda's stubbornness here. They took the easy route and tried to refit their old engine. Obviously they hit a wall and came to the point where the changes required needed for this engine to be the equivalent of modern engines was nearly as big a task as creating an entirely new one. I don't know that, but makes sense to me. Beyond that the sheer amount of content in this game is absolutely what one would expect from Bethesda and that makes up a lot of ground lost, imo.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

He is criticizing Gamespot for publishing their review after "playing for only 55 hours."

The fuck are they supposed to do? The main story ends in 17 hours. They played for 55 hours -- 300% the time it takes to finish the main story.

Horrible.

Topher

Gold Member
He is criticizing Gamespot for publishing their review after "playing for only 55 hours."

The fuck are they supposed to do? The main story ends in 17 hours. They played for 55 hours -- 300% the time it takes to finish the main story.

Horrible.

I think the point Mattyp Mattyp is making is that there isn't enough time in the review cycle to cover the entirety of the game. To your point, I don't think they have to. I'd say there is probably enough in the main game loop to come to a decision as to the reviewers opinion on the game. I do think, however, that there is a hell of a lot left on the table there that the reviewer simply doesn't have enough time to get to. But in fairness to Mattyp Mattyp he acknowledges that even if they did that doesn't mean the score would change. In fact, he suggests it is possible the score might even go lower. But he is right that there is enormous pressure on reviewers to get the review done by the embargo date.

But this has been a point of debate for years. How much time does a reviewer need to spend in a game, especially one this size? From his standpoint, he put 70 hours in and didn't think that was enough for him to review. He said that before any other review scores came out so it isn't like this was only in reaction to scores from other outlets.

Tomeru

There is literraly nothing new you can discover in the game after - gameplay or feature wise, after 55 hours.

Unless you call stuffing your ship with sandwiches or put as many potatos or tps in a room and watching them spill - content.

Reactions: GHG

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the point Mattyp Mattyp is making is that there isn't enough time in the review cycle to cover the entirety of the game. To your point, I don't think they have to. I'd say there is probably enough in the main game loop to come to a decision as to the reviewers opinion on the game. I do think, however, that there is a hell of a lot left on the table there that the reviewer simply doesn't have enough time to get to. But in fairness to Mattyp Mattyp he acknowledges that even if they did that doesn't mean the score would change. In fact, he suggests it is possible the score might even go lower. But he is right that there is enormous pressure on reviewers to get the review done by the embargo date.

But this has been a point of debate for years. How much time does a reviewer need to spend in a game, especially one this size? From his standpoint, he put 70 hours in and didn't think that was enough for him to review. He said that before any other review scores came out so it isn't like this was only in reaction to scores from other outlets.
It is a BIG game. And if publishers expect reviewers to explore all side quests etc. then they shouldn't be sending out review copies just 2 weeks before release -- especially considering there are dozens of games releasing every month.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
There is literraly nothing new you can discover in the game after - gameplay or feature wise, after 55 hours.

Unless you call stuffing your ship with sandwiches or put as many potatos or tps in a room and watching them spill - content.
Gameplay and feature wise, probably true. I would doubt he really had much time to get into the outposts though. He would definitely be missing many side quests, faction quests, location and game art. I'm at almost 80 hours and I think I've been to 4-5 solar systems out of 100. Haven't finished any of the faction quests or main quest. Haven't come close to any level 3 tier skills, let alone level 4 (I'm level 21). Haven't finished the romance plotline yet. Haven't gotten a maxed out ship yet. Haven't gotten any real estate yet. The list goes on. You can hate the game, review it, say whatever you want. But you can't claim the game isn't large. It's unusually large and packed with far more content then you can see in that amount of time. But I wouldn't expect any reviewers to go through all that.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
This was a single post about how the console looks. The entirety of your post history is about shiting on Xbox and Starfield. Always resort to bad faith when it's the last option.

Please excuse me for sharing my thoughts on the ugly ass shape of the PS5, here is your contribution to the negativity towards Xbox and Starfield in the last two weeks (I stopped after that date because I don't do this full time, unlike you)

JzMcgjS.png

Impressive..

Top Bottom