• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bender

What time is it?
Seriously, though. Calling Topher Topher an Xbox fanboy really shows the vitriol in gaming discourse here. No offense meant to the poster who did so, but people really need to ease up and stop being so eager to attack or defend that they take the wrong shots at the wrong people.

Agreed. Topher Topher is a good boy. I even taught him to swim.

xbox-phil-spencer.gif

Pimpbaa

You know we’d get just as many people bitchin (different people obviously) about the game if it didn’t feel like a BGS game. Hell, I’d be one of them. I was so desperate for a BGS game that I bought The Outer Worlds last gen. God that game sucked. Yet oddly got roughly the same critic and user scores. I guess it may be unfair to compare games with a vastly different scope. But I still can’t figure out how Obsidian made uglier faces than Bethsda.

cireza

Gold Member
This was a single post about how the console looks. The entirety of your post history is about shiting on Xbox and Starfield. Always resort to bad faith when it's the last option.

Please excuse me for sharing my thoughts on the ugly ass shape of the PS5, here is your contribution to the negativity towards Xbox and Starfield in the last two weeks (I stopped after that date because I don't do this full time, unlike you)

JzMcgjS.png

Last edited:
The more I play, the more I realise how out of whack some of the reviews are for the game.

Makes me wonder if all xbox games are like this. Maybe should check out all their old games that created a lot of ruckus but were critically panned.

I mean, playing Prey (2017) I was just waiting for game to get bad/boring but it ended up in my GOAT list. Cannot believe I have been following reviews to dictate my purchases for so long.

Thyuda

I avoided it due to GameSpot/ign reviews.

Those days are long past now though. Still I look at their reviews cause can't buy every game to see if I like it.
If you're not a native english speaker try to look for reviews in your mother tongue. I've come to notice that the Anglo-Saxon language region often rates games... peculiarly. Not all of course, but the so called "bit sites" often have reviews that I take with a grain of salt these days.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This was a single post about how the console looks. The entirety of your post history is about shiting on Xbox and Starfield. Always resort to bad faith when it's the last option.

Please excuse me for sharing my thoughts on the ugly ass shape of the PS5, here is your contribution to the negativity towards Xbox and Starfield in the last two weeks (I stopped after that date because I don't do this full time, unlike you)

JzMcgjS.png
TLDR:

It’s ok when I do it

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Game really could have used a rover, no doubt.

This game is only enjoyable if you see it as a huge series of completely separate locations that you fast travel to. It is not really an open world game. They should have just had a Star Trek style teleporter.

Last edited:

JzMcgjS.png

32sVBsV.png

Thyuda

“I can’t complain about what I actually don’t like about this game - which is that the pronoun choices have no actual demonstrable effect on the game whatsoever - so I’ll make up some tangential shit about it being ‘shallow’ so I can still sort of get my point across without sounding like a complete lunatic.”
I can't comprehend that people still watch this guy... His shtick is getting old soooo fast.

zeldaring

Banned
The more I play, the more I realise how out of whack some of the reviews are for the game.

Makes me wonder if all xbox games are like this. Maybe should check out all their old games that created a lot of ruckus but were critically panned.

I mean, playing Prey (2017) I was just waiting for game to get bad/boring but it ended up in my GOAT list. Cannot believe I have been following reviews to dictate my purchases for so long.
I buy what looks cool to me, if it's a 80 above metracritic thats good enough.

cireza

Gold Member
TLDR:

It’s ok when I do it
Except that I don't. See the difference ? You don't see me spamming PS5 game threads with negativity on a daily basis. And I doubt many Xbox players do this, but I don't know, I don't visit these threads after all.

However what I know for sure is that people enjoying Xbox threads spend their entire time reading these bad faith comments, and even stuff such as "Xbox fans are getting paid to promote Xbox" shit. And then you find accounts like solidus12 for which 90% of the posts are actively spreading negativity about Xbox. Who's getting paid already ?

So of course I eventually end up knowing all of you (don't really have the choice !), and in some cases the attitude is so obsessional that I am seriously wondering if the person is actually alright IRL, because this behavior looks quite unhealthy. Which was the sense of my previous post anyway.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Except that I don't. See the difference ? You don't see me spamming PS5 game threads with negativity on a daily basis. And I doubt many Xbox players do this, but I don't know, I don't visit these threads after all.

However what I know for sure is that people enjoying Xbox threads spend their entire time reading these bad faith comments, and even stuff such as "Xbox fans are getting paid to promote Xbox" shit. And then you find accounts like solidus12 for which 90% of the posts are actively spreading negativity about Xbox. Who's getting paid already ?

So of course I eventually end up knowing all of you (don't really have the choice !), and in some cases the attitude is so obsessional that I am seriously wondering if the person is actually alright IRL, because this behavior looks quite unhealthy. Which was the sense of my previous post anyway.
TLDR:

team america vomit GIF

DJ12

Well, I just checked and you have posts in threads about bg3s ps5 performance and also final fantasy 16. That was page 2 so not like ive had to dig deep into your post history Did you forget to switch to your alt for those posts?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Well, I just checked and you have posts in threads about bg3s ps5 performance and also final fantasy 16. That was page 2 so not like ive had to dig deep into your post history Did you forget to switch to your alt for those posts?

Par for the course:

Not 4K. 30fps. No ray tracing.

Is this next-gen ?

You'd think he was describing Starfield there, but unfortunately not.

drganon

200w.gif

cireza

Gold Member
Between a couple random thoughts and constant walls of hate, what is the difference ? I really wonder.

f0b3adef08e3443778993d4ba2606290.gif

You have also omitted the few posts that are negative towards Xbox (and other things) in my history. That's convenient.

Having 90% of your posts about shitting on a specific brand is an obsession. I really hit a nerve because the usual defense force (not you) has been quite active about this discussion, with the usual one-liners, gifs and bad-faith cherry picks.

DJ12

Between a couple random thoughts and constant walls of hate, what is the difference ? I really wonder.

f0b3adef08e3443778993d4ba2606290.gif

You have also omitted the few posts that are negative towards Xbox (and other things) in my history. That's convenient.

Having 90% of your posts about shitting on a specific brand is an obsession. I really hit a nerve because the usual defense force (not you) has been quite active about this discussion, with the usual one-liners, gifs and bad-faith cherry picks.
I didn't even know who you were before I posted which suggests you aren't the normal warrior trash so no worries.

However when those warriors are creating and participating in multiple threads before the game even launched speaking about the hype and asking how long you are booking off work to play the game. What sort of reaction would you expect when the game actually turns out to be very lack luster.

And then we have the concerted effort to make every thread on the first page about starfield and I think it's rubbed plenty of people up the wrong way.

cireza

Gold Member
And then we have the concerted effort to make every thread on the first page about starfield
But a great number of these topics have been to create negativity about the game anyway. And we clearly don't need so many topics that's for sure.

I don't really know how lackluster the game can be to players, I am personally enjoying it a lot. I think it is great actually.

GHG

Gold Member
But a great number of these topics have been to create negativity about the game anyway. And we clearly don't need so many topics that's for sure.

I don't really know how lackluster the game can be to players, I am personally enjoying it a lot. I think it is great actually.

Let's see, from the front page:

• The OT - nope, no negativity there as far as I can see.
  • The Steam user reviews thread - backfired because of premature celebrations
  • The review thread - the most recent reviews for the game have been predominantly negative, that's not the fault of the participants
  • The DF PC analysis thread - shit performance on PC, whose fault is that?
  • Shill Tassi telling the world that he feels the need to defend the game - if the game was so good then it would have the capacity to stand on its own feet and wouldn't need defending.
So no, the threads are not being made to "create negativity". Any negativity you are seeing is of its own making. If the game was as good as it should (and could) have been then the latest reviews would be positive, it would have comfortably held it's very positive user review rating on steam, the PC performance wouldn't be shite (so the DF PC performance analysis would have been positive), and Shill Tassi would be able to sleep well at night without worrying about his next Forbes contributor article and how he has to white knight for a multi trillion dollar organisation.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Game really could have used a rover, no doubt.
Nah. I think the jet pack and the advancements you can make to it are plenty. You would probably miss the feeling of exploring or the feeling of being alone in the outskirts of outer space. You make huge headway with jet packs. I can always tell I'm making up alot of ground if I have a companion with me. The further I get from them using the jetpack - my character will start looking behind him for some reason. It usually means that he's waiting on the companion to catch up.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

• The review thread - the most recent reviews for the game have been predominantly negative, that's not the fault of the participants
  • Shill Tassi telling the world that he feels the need to defend the game - if the game was so good then it would have the capacity to stand on its own feet and wouldn't need defending.
So no, the threads are not being made to "create negativity". Any negativity you are seeing is of its own making. If the game was as good as it should (and could) have been then the latest reviews would be positive, it would have comfortably held it's very positive user review rating on steam, the PC performance wouldn't be shite (so the DF PC performance analysis would have been positive), and Shill Tassi would be able to sleep well at night without worrying about his next Forbes contributor article and how he has to white knight for a multi trillion dollar organisation.

friday-damn.gif

Flutta

Banned

• The OT - nope, no game negativity there as far as I can see.

amn GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Nah. I think the jet pack and the advancements you can make to it are plenty. You would probably miss the feeling of exploring or the feeling of being alone in the outskirts of outer space. You make huge headway with jet packs. I can always tell I'm making up alot of ground if I have a companion with me. The further I get from them using the jetpack - my character will start looking behind him for some reason. It usually means that he's waiting on the companion to catch up.

I would actually explore more if I had a rover. As it is, when I land and I see the marker for my objective that is 800m away and I see something else in the complete opposite direction that is also 800m away......I just don't bother because it takes so long. Sucks because I really want to check that out as well. Afraid jetpacks don't really get me there any quicker from my experience unless I am crossing a chasm or something that I would have to otherwise climb down and then back up. Either way, the option for riding vs walking/jetpacking would have been nice. Nothing stopping anyone from going it on foot if they choose.

Last edited:

DJ12

subzero GIF

Ulysses 31

I would actually explore more if I had a rover. As it is, when I land and I see the marker for my objective that is 800m away and I see something else in the complete opposite direction that is also 800m away......I just don't bother because it takes so long. Sucks because I really want to check that out as well. Afraid jetpacks don't really get me there any quicker from my experience unless I am crossing a chasm or something that I would have to otherwise climb down and then back up. Either way, the option for riding vs walking/jetpacking would have been nice. Nothing stopping anyone from going it on foot if they choose.
Would be cool if you could call in your ship to drop you off nearby points of interest and afterwards it went back to its landing spot or maybe hover around.

Last edited:

solidus12

JzMcgjS.png
t9p11X4.jpg

pandawhale GIF

Calm down Dear 😆

I know this is a reader’s review but I can guarantee they laughed as they published this. Did Xbox really think they could try and fuck with UK reviewers and then those same reviewers wouldn’t pick the game apart once they could?

What is this beef between MS and UK reviewers and them not sending review codes?

Forth

Neophyte
As much as the game has it's faults, there really is something special about it's minute to minute gameplay. An example is when you jump to a new system and someone comes on the radio offering a new mission and you have a choice, you can't help but feel that your in a living universe.
There's an amazing game in here that's hampered by a few design decisions.
This is not no mans sky or elite dangerous but thank goodness for that, those two games have a multitude of problems that this doesn't.
Also I love the ability to fast travel to anywhere I've visited, just imagine the time wasted if we could not?

Top Bottom