• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This thread has become hilarious.

It's arguably (and only arguably, Jesus!) just not a very good game, and people are getting defensive and taking that personally.

FFXVI is my game of the year, one of my favorites EVER, and many people here seem to hate it. Okay! Who gives a shit! Let people not like something in the goddamn REVIEW thread!
Shit my thread about me liking Saints Row 2022 ended up with people saying I was a Volition employee and some retarded kek meme about me saying that the game is god-like while I mentioned all the glitches and janky physics.

GAF sometimes is like REEEEEEEEEEEE to furry teen dinos. It's a bandwagon of stupidity. Me? Did I ever say that anyone that like Starfield are doing bath salts? No. Not once.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Weird, do they allow video reviews?

Wait....I think I just figure out who this guy is looking at their other reviews...

h5b7KeM.png

rofif rofif this is a new low for you man

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Tomeru

It's arguably (and only arguably, Jesus!) just not a very good game, and people are getting defensive and taking that personally.

FFXVI is my game of the year, one of my favorites EVER, and many people here seem to hate it. Okay! Who gives a shit! Let people not like something in the goddamn REVIEW thread!
No offense to you or you choices (seriously, enjoy what you want), but this here is a pretty good example to how gamers sometimes (sometimes!) settle for something. Why settle for something good when you can have better?

Starfield and FF16 are games you have to settle for in order to enjoy them imho.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Didn't you have this thread on ignore?

Starfield must be boring if it can't take you away from this thread.

There's a difference between "presenting the receipts" and being fucking petty in a "hey people, look at this ! " way thinking it's some sort of "gotcha" moment.

It's more attention whoring than anything else really - can't see eye to eye with someone else ? Be sure to post captures trying to "expose" (lol) the other party.

It's friggin' pathetic, not to mention, creepy

Topher

Gold Member

Depends on who is doing the arguing I guess. I've got 80+ hours in Starfield. I've got zero in FFXVI. Pretty obvious which game I actually have an argument to make and which game I don't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait Wait, im at 40 hours now and wanted to change my build for a steath one and this "RPG" dont let me respec ? i cant even try new builds in a 2023 RPG ???

WTF ?i m missing something ? there is a way to respec that i m not finding ? if no i m locked with my build ? if yes, god damn it, i m really mad right now 15/10

@DenchDeckard adamsapple adamsapple need help here

Use console commands to re-spec.

I did not realize that metacritic allowed podcast transcripts to pass as game reviews.

DXXvMa2.png

And a review based on 5.5 hours in the game?

q4xKYR3.png

Link to the transcript below.

Reviewing a massive RPG just based on 5 hours. Wonder what this guys GAF handle is :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Topher

Gold Member

Reviewing a massive RPG just based on 5 hours. Wonder what this guys GAF handle is :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ahem

:messenger_beaming:

Wait Wait, im at 40 hours now and wanted to change my build for a steath one and this "RPG" dont let me respec ? i cant even try new builds in a 2023 RPG ???

WTF ?i m missing something ? there is a way to respec that i m not finding ? if no i m locked with my build ? if yes, god damn it, i m really mad right now 15/10

@DenchDeckard adamsapple adamsapple need help here

I thought you were done with the game. Let yourself get pulled back in?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Depends on who is doing the arguing I guess. I've got 80+ hours in Starfield. I've got zero in FFXVI. Pretty obvious which game I actually have an argument to make and which game I don't.
Pretty sure there'd be more than enough reasons for you to explain why you didn't want to buy FF XVI, if you felt like discussing it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure there'd be more than enough reasons for you to explain why you didn't want to buy FF XVI, if you feltclike discussing it.

Nothing against the game. It has been a full year and I haven't had time to play them all. I'll get around to it though.

Have you played Starfield?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nothing against the game. It has been a full year and I haven't had time to play them all. I'll get around to it though.

Have you played Starfield?
Nope, I haven't.

I haven't played Spider-Man on Playstation either, but I can make a list of things that I dislike about those games.

A forum is meant to have discussions and some of those can be held based off videos and written reviews.
Especially one that seems to follow the same principles of other games in the same genre, from the same developer.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Nope, I haven't.

I haven't played Spider-Man on Playstation either, but I can make a list of things that I dislike about those games.

A forum is meant to have discussions and some of those can be held based off videos and written reviews.
Especially one that seems to follow the same principles of other games in the same genre, from the same developer.

Sure....there are opinions one can form from simply watch videos. Graphics, character design, UI, etc. You wouldn't know much at all about gameplay except what someone else told you though. Ultimately if someone is going to pass judgement on the game overall then they need to have actually played it.

Killjoy-NL

Sure....there are opinions one can form from simply watch videos. Graphics, character design, UI, etc. You wouldn't know much at all about gameplay except what someone else told you though. Ultimately if someone is going to pass judgement on the game overall then they need to have actually played it.
To get a full understanding of a game, sure.
But I think it's safe to say that you too have years of gaming experience and have played a bazillion games throughout the years, so you can make some well thought-through assumptions.

This isn't something new. Your stance right now is just the last line of defense for Xbox-fans (I'll assume you're one as well), after years of overhyping that blows up in their faces.

Lokaum D+

I thought you were done with the game. Let yourself get pulled back in?
i was, but like i said a lot of time here, the game isnt bad and since i finished BG3 and dont have anything better to play i decide to give it another try, knowing the game flaws i may enjoy this a little bit more this time, but not having respec in a 2023 RPG is yet another let down, "wanna try another build in this so acclaimed RPG ?" guess what ? YOU CANT !"
thanks, i ll look into this.

EDIT: Jesus, if i use console i ll lost achievements, then i need to download files, replace files, rename files, in order to re-enable it again ? why not give us the option to respec ? this is a basic RPG feature ffs.

what year is it GIF

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Banned
But I think it's safe to say that you too have years of gaming experience and have played a bazillion games throughout the years, so you can make some well thought-through assumptions.

This isn't something new. Your stance right now is just the last line of defense for Xbox-fans (I'll assume you're one as well), after years of overhyping that blows up in their faces.
Nah Topher is pretty neutral.
I think that people are a little shocked at this game not being everything Todd promised though. Still, it turned out to be an alright game for fans of Bethesda games like Fallout 4 - just far below the hype that BGS and MS generated for it.

Topher

Gold Member

Of course you can make some assumptions. I make them all the time in deciding whether I think a game is for me or not. Not on whether the game is good or not. Think we agree there.

You got it all wrong man. I was saying the same to folks talking shit about God of War: R and Horizon Forbidden West, games I loved. I actually align more on the PlayStation side of things because I love Sony's games. But I like games far more than I care about platforms. And I'm a huge fan of space games.

But it's cool. Takes a little while to get to know people when you are new to a forum.

Me...at that moment...

GIF by SoulPancake

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nah Topher is pretty neutral.
I think that people are a little shocked at this game not being everything Todd promised though. Still, it turned out to be an alright game for fans of Bethesda games like Fallout 4 - just far below the hype that BGS and MS generated for it.
Fair enough, I think my point still stands.

A high profile game that has been used as a trump-card for a specific platform will get a lot of slack from all sides if it doesn't live up to the expectations.

Outright dismissing people who haven't played the game is detrimental to a discussion, since them not going out of their way to buy the game in question shows that the game was not able to sell itself. It's a form of criticism by itself.

Killjoy-NL

Of course you can make some assumptions. I make them all the time in deciding whether I think a game is for me or not. Not on whether the game is good or not. Think we agree there.

You got it all wrong man. I was saying the same to folks talking shit about God of War: R and Horizon Forbidden West, games I loved. I actually align more on the PlayStation side of things because I love Sony's games. But I like games far more than I care about platforms. And I'm a huge fan of space games.

But it's cool. Takes a little while to get to know people when you are new to a forum.

Me...at that moment...

GIF by SoulPancake
Yeah, I see I made a wrong assumption. My bad, you can ignore that part.

Topher

Gold Member

A high profile game that has been used as a trump-card for a specific platform will get a lot of slack from all sides if it doesn't live up to the expectations.

Outright dismissing people who haven't played the game is detrimental to a discussion, since them not going out of their way to buy the game in question shows that the game was not able to sell itself. It's a form of criticism by itself.

For the record, I didn't outright dismiss anyone.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Actually Topher Topher is pretty neutral -- except for his secret unhealthy obsession with Jim Ryan. He has framed Jim Ryan's nudes in his bedroom, and I don't want to know why.

Solidus_T

Banned

To the bolded part, absolutely. Additionally, a large portion of the fan-wars around this game was trumped up by Microsoft themselves and their sanctioned 'influencers' like TimDog, Jez, Colt, and many more themselves, hence the backlash being publicized so much - these people ended up with egg all over their face which is admittedly entertaining to a lot of us.
-but regular gamers are just trying to encourage people to get well rounded opinions on the game. I was following leaks of the game and held my tongue (keyboard?) from posting all of the like comparisons to Fallout 4 I had for it. Because some people have such an investment in this game doing well, there are those who will dismiss critiques based on arbitrary guidelines like you menitoned, but Topher isn't one of those people I think.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

No offense to you or you choices (seriously, enjoy what you want), but this here is a pretty good example to how gamers sometimes (sometimes!) settle for something. Why settle for something good when you can have better?

Starfield and FF16 are games you have to settle for in order to enjoy them imho.

I mean FFXVI is pure brilliance but I hear you.

I'm sure many are genuinely enjoying Starfield. But the reflex defense of it is weird, man. Let's critique, disagree, whatever, but I thought we were all here FOR the argument.

This isn't a crusade. It's a lecture hall.

Tomeru

I mean FFXVI is pure brilliance but I hear you.

I'm sure many are genuinely enjoying Starfield. But the reflex defense of it is weird, man. Let's critique, disagree, whatever, but I thought we were all here FOR the argument.

This isn't a crusade. It's a lecture hall.
I get you. But what do you expect us (people) to do? There is no arguement when each side has their own interpertation to it. That's just how it is with things that are subjective as much as their objective.

Also, you opened your replay with a reflex defense 🤓

And I should really just finish FF16 already.

Last edited:
Finally sat down to play it today, a few hours in and I’m not feeling it particularly someone who loves space/RPG games.

There is something about Bethesda games I just can’t take to, like there is something off about it and this feels the same. From the pacing to some of the visuals and NPC faces. At times it looks like a game from around 2014 and it’s a shame because I love the 2001 Space Odyssey meets Alien Isolation kind of filter/lighting they’ve got going on.

I can’t remember the last time Xbox genuinely blew me away with one of their first party games especially on a technical level and I really want them to do so, they bring out something that makes me think “yeah they nailed this, great job studio, Matt Booty , Phil etc but they aren’t imho.

I know I’m probably in a minority here with these opinions but I thought I would share them anyway.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
i was, but like i said a lot of time here, the game isnt bad and since i finished BG3 and dont have anything better to play i decide to give it another try, knowing the game flaws i may enjoy this a little bit more this time, but not having respec in a 2023 RPG is yet another let down, "wanna try another build in this so acclaimed RPG ?" guess what ? YOU CANT !"

thanks, i ll look into this.

EDIT: Jesus, if i use console i ll lost achievements, then i need to download files, replace files, rename files, in order to re-enable it again ? why not give us the option to respec ? this is a basic RPG feature ffs.

what year is it GIF
Do you know what open world RPG allows you to respec? Elden Ring. Which game has the most GOTY awards ever? Elden Ring! Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom